My KingSong S16 Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

20 hours ago, rumpel said:

I’m almost 200 lbs guy which daily commutes to work on my KS 18XL. I look forward to upgrade my EUC to something with suspension but I’m hesitating to do this because of size of wheels which has one. I do not want my new wheel to be bulky but I also want it to be able to make at least 40 miles and give me sometimes a decent speed with proper safety margin to keep up with cars on a street (50 km/h should be enough which is much more which I can safely do on my KS18XL). What do you think Marty ? Ks s16 pro or s19 ? Maybe other a stronger small wheel without suspension like extreme bull commander ? I am not able to compare it to my 18XL the size is most important, the weight around 30-35 kg should be ok cause I’m quite strong. The old begode wheels seems to be ideal but because of safety concerns I do not want to keep something with LG50T home…

Absolutely NOT the S16. I have zero experience with the S19 so I can't offer an opinion on that :(

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Absolutely NOT the S16. I have zero experience with the S19 so I can't offer an opinion on that :(

I have a soccer calves so s19 is probably not for me… Maybe inmotion V14 it looks  like not much bigger wheel than s16 bu it is ~40 kg so I will not be able to grab in one hand… 🤔 

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I HATE the location of the charge ports on the S22. The worse!

I guess people will disagree about anything :)

I suppose it can be difficult, depending on the person, and the procedure the person uses.

For me, it is really easy to plug-in the charge connector.

With the S22 sitting on its parking-stand, the procedure I use is to stand behind the wheel with the trolley handle raised all the way up. Facing forward, and looking down, with the left hand, thread the charge cable between the fender and the motor cable towards the charge port, and pass the connector to the right hand. Look at the charge connector that is in your right hand, and make sure the notch is facing up. Locate the charge port more precisely with the other fingers by feel, and just plug the connector into the charge port. Easy peasy. 

One more thing, the protective caps on my charge port can be on very tightly. I use a tweezer that has a curved tip to pry the cap off first. With the tweezer, it super easy to get the cap off. Otherwise, it can be a real struggle, with fingers only.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I suppose it can be difficult, depending on the person, and the procedure the person uses.

With the S22 sitting on its parking-stand, the procedure I use is to stand behind the wheel with the trolley handle raised all the way up. Facing forward, and looking down, with the left hand, thread the charge cable between the fender and the motor cable towards the charge port, and pass the connector to the right hand. Look at the charge connector that is in your right hand, and make sure the notch is facing up. Locate the charge port more precisely with the other fingers by feel, and just plug the connector into the charge port. Easy peasy. 

One more thing, the protective caps on my charge port can be on very tightly. I use a tweezer that has a curved tip to pry the cap off first. With the tweezer, it super easy to get the cap off. Otherwise, it can be a real struggle, with fingers only.

And if you had wheel on stand? And you could access it only from it's side? How easy would it be then to plug the charger in? Also you could not see the charge plug from side view and such things..

My wheel is in metal box meaning you have somewhat enclosed space around it.. That's why i think charge ports that are hidden are kind of bad. But that's MINE problem, because i got my wheel in box.. In open space i can see accessing those ports being pretty easy.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Funky said:

My wheel is in metal box meaning you have somewhat enclosed pace around it.. That's why i think charge ports that are hidden are kind of bad. But that's MINE problem, because i got my wheel in box.. In open space i can see accessing those ports being pretty easy.

I don't have experience charging an S22 in a box where the charge ports can only be access from the front of the box.

I would say the biggest hurdle would be to get the charge port cap off. The sucker is on tight.

Also, it depends of the size of your hands and dexterity.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I guess this doesn't sound too bad. But for me the fact that there needs to be a procedure to make charging easy and accessible, already makes this pretty crappy. Def never a deal breaker as I find the Patton to be the absolute worst. Even though I found an easy way to plug the charger in, its totally ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Def never a deal breaker as I find the Patton to be the absolute worst. Even though I found an easy way to plug the charger in, its totally ridiculous. 

Right, from photos, the Patton's ports could also pose a challenge.

But in my case with my S22, I actually find it easier to charge my S22 than my V12 and Abrams (since the charge connector was dimensionally off with the Abrams; this was before, but not anymore since the connector has worn some and doesn't fit as tight). On the Abrams, the charge ports cover is also a nuisance to use since it is free to flap around, and so it can get in the way

Overall, I would say I like the S22 charge port implementations more than my other wheels, except for my T3, even though the T3 has a really simple implementation. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 9:21 AM, techyiam said:

<snip> I use a tweezer that has a curved tip to pry the cap off first.</snip>

Case closed :D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Case closed :D

Case opened.

We where talking about port placement. Not about protective caps. :D 

I still think buttons, charge ports should be on top of wheel - and very easy to get place.

26 minutes ago, Funky said:

I still think buttons, charge ports should be on top of wheel - and very easy to get place.

It is not particularly easy to plug charge cables to top of the wheel, it takes a long cable to get up there and the plug will be pointing downward, awkwardly angling the wire. Holding the plug in that manner and pushing it down does not feel natural to me at least. A horizontal connection like the 18XL / Sherman (and pretty much every electric device on the market) is more ergonomic IMO.

Edited by null

2 hours ago, null said:

It is not particularly easy to plug charge cables to top of the wheel, it takes a long cable to get up there and the plug will be pointing downward, awkwardly angling the wire. Holding the plug in that manner and pushing it down does not feel natural to me at least. A horizontal connection like the 18XL / Sherman (and pretty much every electric device on the market) is more ergonomic IMO.

KingSong seems to be the only company that thinks it's convenient to have to reach into the shell with horrible visibility to attach the charge cable(s). Begode doesn't, Inmotion doesn't, and Veteran doesn't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

KingSong seems to be the only company that thinks it's convenient to have to reach into the shell with horrible visibility to attach the charge cable(s). Begode doesn't, Inmotion doesn't, and Veteran doesn't.

But recharge convenience is not the only consideration when deciding on where to put the charge port on a wheel.

With the S22 charge port location, it does make the design of the charge port easier and cheaper to implement. Also, it is really dry and clean there. Plus, I still say it can be easy to access, IMO.

On my V12, the whole charge port area can be dirty/gritty from the kick-up of the wheel, and wet if ridden in rain. The charge port cover has to be diligently properly closed after each time you recharge.

11 hours ago, null said:

By that logic yes - yes you are right and it sounds solid. 

Same time every second week, when i need to plug the charger in my 18xl. I more or less "scrape" the plastic around the charge port going up/down/left/right till it plugs in... But that's mostly because i don't see the charge ports with my EYES. As my wheel is positioned on stand and inside compact metal box.

I could imagine myself doing it on any port placement - if i don't see them with my eyes. You're more or less going by luck and by feel - trying to plug it in.

If they where on top - i could simply pull my wheel out of box little bit (I got that drawer type stand inside the box that pulls out, when i open my "box" door. Search on forum: "Hot Box" if you wanna see my box.) So when it comes out it's very easy to plugs things at top. At side i still need to go down to wheel level and see side of my wheel to plug them in.

Top is the best placement! If one wants to actually see the port with eyes and don't wanna be ducking down.

Also top or side. I think top is better for plug it self. Because at top it simply pops in. At side you are more or less scraping one side. Same thing as putting USB inside PC top is easier than side.

Or maybe I'm @Funky and i'm "special". :D But i like top. You all can be powerSide users. :D:whistling:

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, I didn't say the wheel well was convenient. I was responding to @Funky s message saying he ment placement on top was best and most easy. Having experience with charge connectors on the top (which I believe he doesn't) I was explaining why I'm not so sure it is the most ergonomic. IMO holding the plug horizontally, like for most other electronic devices, is the most ergonomic to handle. Also, from a water ingress "default to safety" point of view it won't turn into a pool if a cap was forgotten, fell off, broke.

Using the wheel well does not seem very ergonomic to me.

@Funky : Sure, if you have some special use for that access :) (and yes the 18XL ports are a bit deep in to be visible, also the rectangular edges do not help guiding in the plug)

Edited by null
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I continue to enjoy the S16. 

20240213_173141-2

I particularly like the nimbleness and lightness of this wheel. It's a very fun wheel for local activities. It's currently my go-to wheel for doing errands around town. Clearly it's not a wheel that an experienced rider is going to go out and buy.

I'm not going to complain about the small battery because that was a design choice for the market that KingSong is trying to fill with this wheel.

My two biggest complaints with the wheel is the placement of the speakers in the back which preclude the placement of rear pads that would facilitate easy jumping/hopping. And the stiff suspension relative to my bigger wheels are much more comfortable when dropping off curbs. The travel feels limited and again, stiff.

But I love how easy it is to maneuver and its small formfactor. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I continue to enjoy the S16. 

20240213_173141-2

I particularly like the nimbleness and lightness of this wheel. It's a very fun wheel for local activities. It's currently my go-to wheel for doing errands around town. Clearly it's not a wheel that an experienced rider is going to go out and buy.

I'm not going to complain about the small battery because that was a design choice for the market that KingSong is trying to fill with this wheel.

My two biggest complaints with the wheel is the placement of the speakers in the back which preclude the placement of rear pads that would facilitate easy jumping/hopping. And the stiff suspension relative to my bigger wheels are much more comfortable when dropping off curbs. The travel feels limited and again, stiff.

But I love how easy it is to maneuver and its small formfactor. 

It's perfect city/neighborhood commuter.. I also would love it.

Spoiler

If it was smaller/lighter. :D They took 16X and added suspension. I would have preferred if they took 16S and did the upgrades.. Where's the S14?? :efefd8a002:

• Like 1

I know this is gonna sound hella weird but this wheel has that kind of appearance that makes me wanna pet it. I DONT know why but I want to lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I particularly like the nimbleness and lightness of this wheel.

How does it compare to the 16X, 18(X)L or S18? Are the extra few kg noticeable?

1 hour ago, KNZ said:

I know this is gonna sound hella weird but this wheel has that kind of appearance that makes me wanna pet it. I DONT know why but I want to lol

New KinK unlocked.

You archived achievement: :wub:Wheel Lover:wub: (Literally)

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Rider1 said:

While riding it will feel way better than those. Only while being unpowered you will notice the 33kg weight difference vs something like 25kg. If weight isn't a problem S16 is a no brainer to get.

Also it's price is very good vs what you get.

Is there any safety mechanism to prevent or stop it from free spin in unexpected situations, like hit a bump  while trolleying in crowd or sudden vehicle jumps in mass transport? 

1 hour ago, Rider1 said:

Frankly it's been a long time since I rode those wheels. They would probably feel like toys to me now.

But the S16 does not feel heavy or big relative to all the modern wheels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was literally thinking how I'm going to be able to handle 30kg+ wheel after driving 16S (18 kg) for 4 years and now watching 9 years old kids sitting on that like a toy. Interesting days ahead of me.

Edited by WoID
  • Like 1