My KingSong S16 Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

7 hours ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

it is just overpriced piece of plastic with potential susension problems as the e-wheels thailand show. too much attention

Valid concern: KS's response from last month... Sending QC team to check this stuff later in the week. 

"this video takes by Thailand dealer when they visit Kingsong factory. At that time, the S16 was not in trial production and was still in the sample stage. We spent at least three months testing it. These problems mentioned are all sample problems in the testing stage, and we have improved them one by one."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Valid concern: KS's response from last month... Sending QC team to check this stuff later in the week. 

"this video takes by Thailand dealer when they visit Kingsong factory. At that time, the S16 was not in trial production and was still in the sample stage. We spent at least three months testing it. These problems mentioned are all sample problems in the testing stage, and we have improved them one by one."

surprisingly i am not surprised, every manufacturers here and there uses this trick.

but the truth is that you cant just simple change extrusion die for already manufactured extrusion die. extruded aluminum due to manufacturing process accumulates metal fatigue faster then cnc. so to fix all that stuff wheel should be redesigned from scratch

9 hours ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

it is just overpriced piece of plastic with potential susension problems as the e-wheels thailand show. too much attention

Please tell me how you really feel :D

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's 2024. If the wheel can't be ridden in the rain or through some puddles than it shouldn't be bought.

I was weak and bought a EBCP due to the price (half a ShermieS) but really yes. I regret it a little due to that.
There where weather proof EUCs over 6 years ago (18L/XL) its not that hard and should be the norm by now.. Rain happens.

Edited by null

23 minutes ago, null said:

I was weak and bought a EBCP due to the price (half a ShermieS) but really yes. I regret it a little due to that.
There where weather proof EUCs over 6 years ago (18L/XL) its not that hard and should be the norm by now.. Rain happens.

What exactly are you regretting about the Commander Pro?

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What exactly are you regretting about the Commander Pro?

The weak weather proofing: from the top there is the shower cap approach which can do, but the punny internal mudguard makes the battery casings get doused from everywhere, including the top. Had the battery casing seal been perfect this wouldn't matter too much, but @GitDatPC got a BMS alarm sounding after riding 30 mins in the rain with a shower cap. As I live in a flat this would have been an absolutely unacceptable.

The EBCP has qualities I appreciate, but I've had it for two months now and barely ridden it due to rain. A Sherman S would have been better suited but was way over budget.

I hope to waterproof it with loads of silicone and a generous internal mudguard, but it takes some courage when you dont particularly enjoy tinkering EUCs.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, null said:

I hope to waterproof it with loads of silicone and a generous internal mudguard, but it takes some courage when you dont particularly enjoy tinkering EUCs.

It's only 2024. Weather proofing for euc's for manufacturers is still very much optional. Read some of the fine print on the warranties, water ingress related damages are often not covered.

If you don't want to tinker, there aren't that many choices outside of Leaper Kim.

V13 could be a good candidate if the range and size is OK with you. V12 is considered pretty good for riding in the rain, but you are looking for more performance and range.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

It's only 2024. Weather proofing for euc's for manufacturers is still very much optional. Read some of the fine print on the warranties, water ingress related damages are often not covered.

If you don't want to tinker, there aren't that many choices outside of Leaper Kim.

V13 could be a good candidate if the range and size is OK with you. V12 is considered pretty good for riding in the rain, but you are looking for more performance and range.

I don't read EUC documentation, if they exist they rarely contain any info other than a spec sheet, I can't even recall seing any fine text or warranty leaflet. Anyway, at that stage you already bought the thing.. I do however follow tear-downs, feedback from reviewers and a couple of forums, which gives a better idea of actual weatherproofing than whatever the manufacturer says IMO.

If I got the EBCP it is because I can't afford a SS, and smaller batteries where not of interest.. It was an informed choice, and I will tinker or I will avoid the rain. It doesn't change that discovering how much of a PITA it will be to do is a little disappointing. In the case of the EBCP there are very few detailed reviews, so little info to make the decision on.

Luckily I have an 18XL and a Sherman OG for rainy days

Edited by null

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Thanks again Marty

Definitely appreciated your "effort for science" :lol:  I stayed with you every step revolution of the way. ;) 

Interesting video, great to see you enjoying yourself again. 

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Great test/ride/commentary. :thumbup:

Most of my rides (especially in fall) are like that "river bed". Most times i'm even riding in very strong rain. Rains where you would stand in open, your undies would get wet in about 1 min.. If you didn't have rain jacket.

Doh nowadays we are getting temps around 0C, over night -5C, at day +4C.. Snow is melting and making that "slushy" all around here. It's like riding true 1-3Cm deep water.. And actually riding true 2Cm deep, very big puddles that cross all the path way. Sketchy as hell. :D 

So far so good with my 18xl.. Luckily i have siliconed motor shut and have exchanged bearing grease to marine one, same time packed them almost fully with grease. Also greased the place where bearing sit in motor covers.. So water should not get in.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

@Marty Backe could you speak to how comfortable it is to carry? Is the carry handle position balanced enough to allow for a one-handed carry? I’m considering upgrading from my KS16X, but my daily commute involves carrying it up a couple of flights of steps so that’s an important factor for me.

15 minutes ago, the_deeb said:

@Marty Backe could you speak to how comfortable it is to carry? Is the carry handle position balanced enough to allow for a one-handed carry? I’m considering upgrading from my KS16X, but my daily commute involves carrying it up a couple of flights of steps so that’s an important factor for me.

I've only lifted the S16. It doesn't have a handle like the 16X that can be used for carrying. If you only lifted the wheel by the single front handle the experience would be awful, IMHO.

• Upvote 1

@the_deeb Watch as he can't find the buttons and then tries to figure how to lift the dam thing... That's what happens when you put buttons somewhere you can't see them and have no carry handle.

Sure over time you will gain muscle memory and will know where the buttons are. Doh doesn't fix the carry handle issue..

Also charging ports are down there right? Enjoy searching for them each time you wanna charge the wheel. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

@the_deeb Watch as he can't find the buttons and then tries to figure how to lift the dam thing... That's what happens when you put buttons somewhere you can't see them and have no carry handle.

Sure over time you will gain muscle memory and will know where the buttons are. Doh doesn't fix the carry handle issue..

Also charging ports are down there right? Enjoy searching for them each time you wanna charge the wheel. :D 

TBH, I don't think that videos sells your point very well. I didn't see him struggle much to lift it or find the power button :confused1:  I agree that the charge port location is not ideal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

It's an instructional video. Going by the English captions, He already knows where all the buttons are, and the lifting points. He was working with a feature in which the kill-switch can be trained to recognize a particular finger? or finger print? (anti-share feature?) that is used to activate the lift-switch. Additionally, he was showing where to grab on the S16 in order to lift the S16 up to load it into a car.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

I can't speak about the lift-sensor in the rear since I own an S22 and not an S16, but accessing the power switch is not an issue. It is right in the middle. Even with two pair gloves (double layered), it's no problem to turn on and off the lights while riding. So it's not issue. It takes hardly any time to learn to use the power switch like a pro.

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Among my wheels, the charging port on my Begode T3 is the easiest to use. But the second easiest is my S22, not my V12 nor my Abrams, even though on these wheels the charge port are in the back behind a cover. It's really easy to plug the charger connector into the charge ports on the S22 in real life. It's not what one may think while speculating based on photos.

The first time I use it, I had to use my flash light to see where the port was, and align the charging connector. But after a few times, for some reasons, it is really easy to align the connector by feel. Not so on my V12 or my Abrams even though I can see the port and connector. The connector dimensional tolerances probably have something to do with it. On the Abrams, the fit is poor, and charge port covers gets in the way a bit. On the V12, it's a bit more awkward. Once parked on its stand, it isn't that easy to see the charge port anymore. And it doesn't work that well by feel. So I have to bend way down and look. Even then, plugging in the port is not as easy on the S22 due to pin alignment. The other way is to manually support the V12 so that the charge ports are not down low, and then plug the charge connector in. But that is a bit awkward also.

Moreover, the charge port / power button area is really dry and clean even after riding in heavy rain, especially around the fall/winter months when foliage and other debris get kicked up. On the hand, on my V12 or my Abrams, if I forget to put back the cover, the charge ports and USB ports get dirty and wet, and can short out.

I would consider the charge ports on the S22 to be one of the better implementations out there under real world use.

Edited by techyiam

I’m almost 200 lbs guy which daily commutes to work on my KS 18XL. I look forward to upgrade my EUC to something with suspension but I’m hesitating to do this because of size of wheels which has one. I do not want my new wheel to be bulky but I also want it to be able to make at least 40 miles and give me sometimes a decent speed with proper safety margin to keep up with cars on a street (50 km/h should be enough which is much more which I can safely do on my KS18XL). What do you think Marty ? Ks s16 pro or s19 ? Maybe other a stronger small wheel without suspension like extreme bull commander ? I am not able to compare it to my 18XL the size is most important, the weight around 30-35 kg should be ok cause I’m quite strong. The old begode wheels seems to be ideal but because of safety concerns I do not want to keep something with LG50T home…

Edited by rumpel
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:57 PM, techyiam said:

<snip>

I would consider the charge ports on the S22 to be one of the better implementations out there under real world use.

I HATE the location of the charge ports on the S22. The worse!

I guess people will disagree about anything :)

• Upvote 1