Flying/Airline/Security rules for EUCs

Ophicleide

On 6/12/2016 at 3:49 PM, Marvin Ong said:

So I guess theres no definite answer.

I bought a Euc a few weeks here in St Louis and wondering how troublesome is it to fly with it, but it seems they are cracking down on it more and more from reading about this online.

As long as there is no any risky outcoming danger from your bag, regarding smelly, flamable, corrosive liquids or explosive materials you should be ok! I mean people have rights to carry on anything they need, as long as it doesnt affect the other passangers or any other individuals safety ! Lets say, what's the difference if you carrying the big coffe machine, big radio or an amplifier full of different metals, or carrying your recreational toy like a unicycle in the bag, with no batteries and no pressure in a tire? Can anyone see risks? I can't see legit reason why it wouldn't be allowed, especially if well packed! If the airport workers see any big irregular  electronical gadgets they should be able to increase they x-ray level to see it through more detailed to make sure it's not a danger. I would always take any original papers, instructions with the unicycle, for some really unexperienced airport workers in case. :)

I have had my doubts whether @Lovely is an Airwheel sales agent before (and I might be mixing up people here, being drunk and all :P), but (s)he does make good points... Common sense seems rare today  (but still don't blame me when the airplane explodes ;)).

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recent experiences with taking an EUC on flights between islands in Hawaii? I shipped over an EUC to use during my month long stay, but I'd hate for the wheel to be stuck on one island. I hope that they are more lax since they're just super short flights.

You could try calling Hawaiian Airlines to see what their policies are and see if they can send something to you in writing just in case you need to show it while boarding.  Worse comes to worse you could maybe see if you can courier the battery overnight by boat to your next destination.  If USPS didn't have a problem shipping your wheel to Hawaii, maybe check to see if they don't mind shipping it over to a neighbouring island for you.

Noob here.  I don't fly often, but my plan was to ship most of my batteries by ground before flying, only keeping one or two 170 wH batteries in the wheel, with the doors off so if TSA needs to check they can do so without a problem.  I'd mark those battery as 160 wH, though, since the upper limit is up to two 160 batteries.  That way I could still have limited use of my wheel until I could pick up my other batteries.

It's funny.  We bought these things to increase our mobility, but they DO pose a hazard when flying from one place to another.  While I'm more than happy to tell a few fibs here and there to get on the plane, 10 wH isn't going to make much difference, the fact is that if a laptop battery, like the one mine uses which is only ~58 wH, can mean the difference between life and death for an entire airplane full of people, a 1680 wH battery set is more or less a bomb waiting to be lit.

I'm certainly not @esaj, but I have a bit of electronics knowledge.  Personally, I think the issue of thermal runaway likely increases with a battery's state of charge.  How can a battery catch fire if it's almost empty?  Thus, the best way of keeping them from exploding is not to worry about the size of the battery.  If a camera battery explodes, do most airlines carry black, blue, or green extinguishers?  Because if not, ANY battery is a hazard, regardless of its capacity.  The real way of preventing these fires would probably be more along the lines of making sure to discharge the battery as much as possible without damaging it.  We usually store batteries at 50% charge.  We could probably get away with leaving them at ~15-20% for a few hours if needed, and then charge them at our destination airport/hotel/etc.

Of course, that would require TSA to be competent enough to know how to use a multimeter/voltmeter, or at least trust the charge lights on the top of our wheels/other devices.  I wouldn't trust a TSA agent to keep a pot of boiling water from burning the pot out, personally.  What airlines SHOULD have is a compartment that's vacuum sealed, specifically for batteries, so that they have no oxygen to fuel a fire in the first place.  That would cost money for them, but knowing airlines, they'd just charge us for the use anyway.

35 minutes ago, pArmitage said:

We could probably get away with leaving them at ~15-20% for a few hours if needed.

What airlines SHOULD have is a compartment that's vacuum sealed, specifically for batteries, so that they have no oxygen to fuel a fire in the first place.  That would cost money for them, but knowing airlines, they'd just charge us for the use anyway.

You haven't bothered to tell us where you are based, so I assume you may be talking about internal US flights?

Bottom line is that the airlines can tell you to get stuffed whatever size your battery is and many international ones at least have simply said no Hoverboards no EUC's No way!

You are right about not having a lot of knowledge on this subject: Overdischarging a Lithium Ion cell can cause it to damage in such a way it may vent gas and possibly catch fire, each cell is still at more than 3.7V or so at 20%

A vacuum would be no help whatsoever, they produce their own oxygen.

The only lithium battery that is completely safe to transport is LiFePO4, I doubt very much that most airlines would treat even them any differently. It is, however I believe the reason the Uniwheel has a small capacity, removable LiFePO4 battery that can be made safe for transport. 

1 hour ago, Keith said:

1. You haven't bothered to tell us where you are based, so I assume you may be talking about internal US flights?

2. Bottom line is that the airlines can tell you to get stuffed whatever size your battery is and many international ones at least have simply said no Hoverboards no EUC's No way!

3. You are right about not having a lot of knowledge on this subject: Overdischarging a Lithium Ion cell can cause it to damage in such a way it may vent gas and possibly catch fire, each cell is still at more than 3.7V or so at 20%

4. A vacuum would be no help whatsoever, they produce their own oxygen.

1.  Indeed.

2.  That's a shame, but understandable.  Our laws specifically state that the airline has to okay your travel with an oversized battery anyway, so it's not easy unless you choose your flight based on that airline's policies.  Which may or may not work out to certain gains and losses in ticket sales in the long run, as EUC riders continue to make their sport/craft known.

3.  So you're saying that a Panasonic NCR18650PF, with a nominal voltage of 3.6 V, would still retain 100% the same amount of voltage when discharged to 20% capacity? In any case, is this any better than a fully charged battery of a slightly smaller size?

4.  Yet giving a flame more oxygen than what the chemical reaction might produce cannot make the situation any better, can it?  At the least, they could simply not pressurize this hypothetical area.  As well, since thermal runaway is obviously tied into excess generation of heat, why not make said chamber also refrigerated?  And then make the chamber ejectable?  I mean, that couldn't possibly be better than a whole plane coming down, could it? :P

On 29. Juli 2016 at 10:44 PM, Lovely said:

As long as there is no any risky outcoming danger from your bag, regarding smelly, flamable, corrosive liquids or explosive materials you should be ok! I mean people have rights to carry on anything they need, as long as it doesnt affect the other passangers or any other individuals safety ! Lets say, what's the difference if you carrying the big coffe machine, big radio or an amplifier full of different metals, or carrying your recreational toy like a unicycle in the bag, with no batteries and no pressure in a tire? Can anyone see risks? I can't see legit reason why it wouldn't be allowed, especially if well packed! If the airport workers see any big irregular  electronical gadgets they should be able to increase they x-ray level to see it through more detailed to make sure it's not a danger. I would always take any original papers, instructions with the unicycle, for some really unexperienced airport workers in case. :)

about 75% off all airlines have now an "No EUC, no hoverboard, no segway" policy on board...as a plus to the 160wh policy...

i tried to move my Ks16 -approved and documented that "no batterie" was inside- and was NOT allowed to do so!

i would not recommend to try to get a EUC Onboard, unless you have a written permission of the airline, because otherwise its the "check in supervisor" who will make a decission!

• 5 months later...
On 8/17/2016 at 7:36 AM, KingSong69 said:

about 75% off all airlines have now an "No EUC, no hoverboard, no segway" policy on board...as a plus to the 160wh policy...

i tried to move my Ks16 -approved and documented that "no batterie" was inside- and was NOT allowed to do so!

i would not recommend to try to get a EUC Onboard, unless you have a written permission of the airline, because otherwise its the "check in supervisor" who will make a decission!

Thanks for the information! I can confirm, that Ryanair have these rules now. I copy and paste some information from Ryanair web page.

Prohibited items:

Lithium ion battery-powered vehicles (including segways and hoverboards) other than wheelchairs/mobility equipment that comply with Ryanair’s Regulations on Specific Subjects (click here), lithium ion battery-powered devices that exceed 160 watt hours. 

But again, hoverboards, segways and most of the unicycles has NO seat, could they be considered as a vehicles..??

5 hours ago, Lovely said:

But again, hoverboards, segways and most of the unicycles has NO seat, could they be considered as a vehicles..??

That IS what they said.  Their game their rules. If you want to try that " but it hasn't got a seat" line of argument at security, go right ahead. And ....

*later that day some security person is going to be practicing on his "new" EUC you kindly donated, or

* you miss your flight, dragging your EUC home.

Pick only one of these options.

Archived