Has anyone heard anything about Begode's development of a 168 V System?

According to Wheel Good Time, he mentioned that he has heard a rumor that Begode maybe is working on a 168 V system, not 146 V.

Has anyone else heard this rumor? 

That is 40 cells in series.

168 V = 40 cells * 4.2 V

Assuming Samsung 50S cells in 4P configuration: (3.6 V nominal voltage, 5 Ah capacity, 25A Max Continuous Discharge, 45A with 80°C temperature cut)

40 cells * 3.6 V * 5 Ah x 4P = 2880 Wh.

Time-stamped. 

ehmm ... Wheel Good Time should spend less time on video effects. It is hard to take him seriously. ... Sounds like a lot of assumptions and I smell "bullshit".

Adding even more voltage makes no sense if we dont wanna use EV chargers. 

Lets use GX connector with even higher voltage ! What can go wrong ? :furious:

1 hour ago, Jonah Hax said:

I don't know a whole lot about battery configuration, but would that not require 40 cells in 4 packs = 160 cells in all? What would the weight of that be?

Yep, 4x40 cells. One cell is about 70g. The extra weight is rather neglegible. Turns out, the motor and the general build is what makes EUCs heavy, not the batteries, these are surprisingly unimportant.

Some numbers:

• 2400Wh battery (14x32=128 cells) is ~9kg.
  • 168V 2960Wh (4x40=160 cells) is 11.2kg, only 2.2kg (5lbs) more
  • The usual 3600Wh (192 cells) are 13.5kg.
  • 168V 4440Wh (6*40=240 cells) would weigh 16.8kg
  • 4800Wh (8*32=256 cells) are 18kg.

So we have wheels with way more battery weight already. The 2.2kg weight gain of going from 134V 4p to 168V 4p would barely be noticed.

• Like 2

If they use 18650 cells then a 40s4p configuration would weigh 8kg (cells alone).

A common 24s4p 21700 pack (1800Wh) weighs 6.7kg.

They could also go with 40s2p with high current 21700 cells. 5.6kg 1200Wh (40T).

The argument that 40s - 168v weighs more isn't going to get traction because the capacity increases proportionally with the amount of cells in series.

A 168v 1800Wh pack weighs exactly the same as an 84v 1800Wh pack.

A battery pack with that much voltage most likely wouldnt require a 4p arrangement. You could probably get away with a 3p pack because you wouldnt need nearly as much current for the same power because of the higher voltage.

1 hour ago, mhpr262 said:

A battery pack with that much voltage most likely wouldnt require a 4p arrangement. You could probably get away with a 3p pack because you wouldnt need nearly as much current for the same power because of the higher voltage.

Besides the Motor is able to pulls even more power at higher voltage if they let them do so (same motor kV at higher voltage spins faster)

Edited by onkeldanuel

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep. It's barely a rumor at all. Mostly wishful thinking. But of the good kind. Higher voltages make a lot of sense, so I expect to see them sooner or later, and who but Begode is going to be first?

I will make a point of keeping track of this.

It would be incredibly sad, if the person made fake content for his channel.

Let's assume a 168V wheel will exist in few months. As a rider, do you really feel you need bigger voltage than the existing wheels (126V, 134V for instance) ? I have a Master and for my usage I find it more than powerful enough. I also love how the EX30 behaves. So, I don't need more voltage.

Bigger Voltage probably can raise the max speed but I'm not a speed daemon. A little bit more than 50 km/h is a comfortable cruising speed for me. For example both wheels mentioned here above handle these speeds for a long time really safely in my view.

Today, I'm more interested in lighter cells but it is not wheel manufacturers business. I would be really happy with a wheel with the same weight as current wheels but with a twice range for example but it is not for tomorrow I guess ;-)

I can understand that racers need more max speed, always more torque, etc... Perhaps, heavier riders are not happy with   C38/C40 motored wheels with 134V.

Edited by koto

Anyone interested in lightweight would be interested in a higher voltage. A high torque motor that does 40km/h on 84v could maybe do 70km/h on 168v.

That is of interest if motors can we wound for torque, not speed, and be used at both high speed and high torque.

The question is, how much lighter is a high torque low speed motor than a high torque high speed motor?

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I hope 168v is a thing (2 84v packs in series). Doable. Safety. Need the extra headroom when riding on bridges, highways and freeways.

Do you have a video of you riding an EUC down HWY 401, with an OPP cruiser in tow? :) 

• 1 month later...