"Monowheel", "hydraulic suspension", and other nomenclature

techyiam

Mod edit: Split from Inmotion Adventure topic

15 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Is there a reasonably concise reference I can consult, where the use of "monowheel" was proposed as superior to "EUC"?

It ain't.

Freedom of choice. I choose to use the term electric wheel. Inmotion chooses to use the term monowheel.

I choose to use term monowheel to reference Inmotion wheels when I feel like it. :)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Agreed, that's why i choose to hate the term "monowheel". Id be embarrassed to say that if someone asked.

Nope, you can tell a stranger anything, it wouldn't have mattered.

There are a few who don't even walk up to ask. They just let you know that you are exposing yourself to an absurd amount of risk.

However, the delightful interactions have been with those who looked totally not type who would be interested in electric wheels but would give you a thumbs up or ask thoughtful questions.

I think I will be start telling strangers that I ride a one wheel electric scooter. It's more compatible with our local laws. In addition, that may sound less scary. Any mention of the word unicycle and the general public will balk at it. They generally are threaten by unicycles that are motorized.

Edited by techyiam
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, techyiam said:

..., They generally are threaten by unicycles that are motorized.

no, ive never come across any one threatened by my euc.  and the police i encounter whether they questioned me or i questioned them, they found it fascinating.  really,  during my downtown commutes,  i have gotten several curious questions from cyclists as well as the indignant cyclists saying its a 'cheat'.  never found any one threatened by my euc.  now if you are pointing at people that say they are scared of trying it,  then perhaps but thats more fear or unwillingness to try something different IMO...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

Freedom of choice. I choose to use the term electric wheel. Inmotion chooses to use the term monowheel.

I choose to use term monowheel to reference Inmotion wheels when I feel like it. :)

I like reading your posts because you're totally consistent in calling them electric wheels, which is what I advocated for and what I call them myself. However you drive me nuts with using "hydraulic suspension" when talking about Sherman S style coil forks. You win some you lose some I guess :lol:

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

Inmotion chooses to use the term monowheel.

You might have to adjust your preferences here. I was told that Inmotion decided to scratch their idea of turning EUCs into Monowheels.

29 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

However you drive me nuts with using "hydraulic suspension" when talking about Sherman S style coil forks.

Tell me about it!! :lol: There have been lengthy discussions and even a dedicated thread on the matter, but oh well, it is what it is…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Choirs are multi-person by definition.
The M in ATM stands for machine.
Airplanes fly by def.
The Vatican is Catholic by def.
Songs are musical by def. 

AND "wheel" is already singular by definition.

Hide contents
  Hide contents

I don’t like too much the “mono-wheel” either.  I’d prefer “electric wheel” instead, or simply “wheel”. Actually this is what we mostly use in common speech. As far as I know there are mono-wheel devices and multi-wheel devices 🙃 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, techyiam said:

Mod edit: Split from Inmotion Adventure topic

Hey, "electric wheel" seems like a valid contender for the "official" name. Unlike monowheel, it isn't dead on arrival by virtue of being a language error.

Pro: It's accurate, easy to say, non-clunky. Easily shortened to Ewheel?

Con: Kinda vague. What pops into the head of a civilian when they hear the term? If I say "electric unicycle" people have a pretty accurate image in their head without having seen one.

FAIRNESS DOCTRINE...

EUC Pro: Stands for words that are accurate description, short to write, doesn't overlap with other similar named objects, already widely in use. Too bad "EU" is firmly taken.

EUC Con: Awkward to say at first. NOT an actual acronym, but EU is taken. "Yuke" seems unlikely to take hold. 3 syllables.

What are the content-related objections to EUC?

18 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Yes , but you used monowheels......:smartass:

More than one wheel  = wheels. Same with erroneous terms. "I visited several ATM machines" is still redundant, but it IS the proper way to pluralize the mistake. English is a mess.

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I split this off the Adventure topic, so you can fight to your hearts content here;)

How about friendly academic debate?

Eventually a name will standardize. It isn't controllable, but it influence-able.

I'm with @bpong: I usually say "wheel" to people who ride them.

------------

I feel like what the thing is is an "Electric Unicycle." It was adapted from a unicycle, it has the major similarities, it's descriptive, civilians get it, etc. 

So if you were forced to describe it in a single term, that would be the best term. The Official name. It's what the dealers call them on their sites.

The "common" name is less obvious. EUC, wheel, Ewheel, "electric wheel." They all seem fine but not perfect. Electric Wheel is 4 syllables. "Wheel" is only clear in context.

EUC or Ewheel ? 

Then he realizes how many formal and slang terms there are for "Automobile." arrrrgghhhh

ANYTHING BUT MONOWHEEL.:D

• Upvote 1

i really dont get the huge discussion over how one refers to what we ride.  it shouldnt matter except when we are discussing as a group.  and even as a group,  it would probably end up as each forum contributor guessing what the other is referring to,  given the context of the reply or phrasing.  over the past few years,  its never been an important topic but now,  this ?   go over the past few years of topics and postings,  where the hell do we request to each other to clarify are we referring to an euc, monowheel,  electric unicycle, electric wheel, etc,...?!?!?!?

i get that inmotions 'declaration' of calling an euc in their context as monowheel.  big deal - inmotion should get some fucking award for dreaming of the most sterile semi medical condition term for an electric unicycle.  whats next for the fabulous inmotion fuckery team ?  a new name for an owner of a 'monowheel' ?  like say,  monowheel owner ?  or say rider of a monowheel ?

how about this situation:  i had to cancel my date with my girlfriend cause i got monowheel from my last date.  apparently,  monowheel is contagious so i thought it better that i cancel my date with my other girlfriend to prevent me passing my monowheel to her.

as for inmotion deciding to call our fav way of moving, a monowheel,  well, in reply to inmotion i would say - fuck off inmotion.  i ride an euc.  and if you want me to ride an inmotion euc,  get used to me talking to your inmotion salesman and saying "mr. salesman, may i try out one of your new eucs for 2023 ?  and what other revisions and improvements have inmotion made to your lineup of new eucs for 2023 ?"

geeeeezzzzzzussss.......

On 8/9/2023 at 11:13 PM, bpong said:

as for inmotion deciding to call our fav way of moving, a monowheel

Don’t worry, you can save your blood pressure pills for later. (You’ll surely need them… ;) ) Inmotion already gave up on Bob’s idea of calling it a monowheel.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Haha 1

Just now, mrelwood said:

Don’t worry, you can save your blood pressure pills for later. (You’ll surely need them… ;) ) Inmotion already have up on Bob’s idea of calling it a monowheel.

i actually am on a small dose high blood pressure pill prescription.  but there is no prescription for pretentiousness that inmotion can take...😉

Although, to me, it is not that big of a thing, I personally don't want to call it a whatever unicycle because when people hear that, they would naturally assume that it is a dangerous device to ride, just like a motorcycle. And in no uncertain terms they would want to touch it.

Edited by techyiam

EUC - Perhaps the worst name possible. It’s not even a real acronym! It also explains exactly zero about these devices to anyone who doesn’t already know what they are. Doesn’t sound good either.

Electric unicycle - It’s also highly debatable whether these are even unicycles. Most don’t have seats, there’s no way to pedal it manually, you don’t balance it (self balanced). The only thing in common with a unicycle is having a single wheel. I don’t consider them unicycles.

Electric wheel - This name correctly separates them into their own type of device (separate from unicycles). It follows PEV naming convention by using the short form e-wheel (e-bike, e-scooter), and naturally shortens further to simply wheel (the ubiquitous slang name riders already use).

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

5 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

The only thing in common with a unicycle is having a single wheel. I don’t consider them unicycles.

Isn’t that exactly what an “unicycle” means though…?

5 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

Electric wheel - This name correctly separates them into their own type of device (separate from unicycles).

I do agree, an “e-wheel” would be the best name to use. Though having a high profile shop with the same name is not ideal.

45 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Isn’t that exactly what an “unicycle” means though…?

On a direct face value kind of way, yes. But since the invention of unicycle and the term unicycle has been attached to it, it means more than just one wheel. It also means it has a seat, pedals, no batteries, nor self-balancing to-and-fro.

Although, I enjoy riding an electric wheel, I have no interest at all to ride a unicycle.

Does anyone call a Segway an electric bicycle? Two wheels.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised the other day as I made my way slowly down the sidewalk by a an elder codger I recognize as a regular at the downtown lunch counter when he said  “I really like your wheel”. I smiled and said “thanks” as I went by.

• Like 3

I love that this thread is back. B)

I can't remember seeing this before (maybe it's been said here and I have since forgotten), but elsewhere I just saw someone refer to their wheel as a Powerwheel (not to be confused with Power Wheels).

Considering that some of us already dress up like Power Rangers when it's morphin riding time, Powerwheel seems kinda well-suited :D

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mod edit: the following stuff has been split off from here.

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

I may wait for the hydraulic suspension version as my next,

i hate to break it to you my friend but the v13 has a "hydraulic" suspension. The dampening uses oil which is "hydraulic". The difference with the sherman s and the v13 is that the compression is spring and air.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
samantics
  • Upvote 1