Street Tire Options for 12 inch rim? (T4, Patton, Extreme, V12, S16, 16x, V14, Commander mini++)

Poker

Hi,

I've ordered a Patton and I'm looking to have a street tire ready for when it arrives.

Personally I think I want the fattest and possibly also largest MC tire I can fit without touching anything.

I'm definitely open for hearing reasons for and against doing this but what are my options in terms of dimensions? 

For instance I found a 130/70-12 Michelin Pilot Street 2 for sale, would it fit?

I see the Patton is listed as having a 3.0-12 tire dimension, correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of the 12 inch rimmed eucs are like that?

What dimension is a 3.0-12 bike tire in MC dimensions?

I tried asking Chatgpt but it  wasn't very helpfull, basically said this:

It's important to note that the tire size you mentioned, 130/70-12, may fit a 12-inch rim but might not be suitable for your specific EUC model. I recommend double-checking with the manufacturer or referring to the EUC's user manual to ensure compatibility with metric-sized motorcycle tires.

Edited by Poker
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Poker said:

For instance I found a 130/70-12 Michelin Pilot Street 2 for sale, would it fit?

Not in the slightest.

5 hours ago, Poker said:

I see the Patton is listed as having a 3.0-12 tire dimension, correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of the 12 inch rimmed eucs are like that?

In the recent year or so, yes. 

5 hours ago, Poker said:

What dimension is a 3.0-12 bike tire in MC dimensions?

3.0-12 is in MC dimensions!

5 hours ago, Poker said:

I tried asking Chatgpt

If you want facts, don’t ask Chatgpt... Instead, read about the tire sizing nomenclatures in the pinned post of the Tires subforum:

While a 3.0-12 MC tire is technically 3” wide, which should equal 76.2mm, it has seemed that many 3.0” MC tires can be replaced with 90/90 metric sized ones. But I’d read on other riders’ comments on whether they’ve been successful in fitting a 90/90 on your wheel model, or if they are using a 80/90.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I'm tempted to order a 90/90-12 at the local tire store, I think I can return it if it doesn't fit. Sadly my Patton is probably more than a month away so gonna wait a while and see what other people here try out :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 7:46 AM, Poker said:

Alright, I'm tempted to order a 90/90-12 at the local tire store, I think I can return it if it doesn't fit. Sadly my Patton is probably more than a month away so gonna wait a while and see what other people here try out :)

eWheels offers a street tire option for the Patton.  It is the ChaoYang H626.  I received mine yesterday and I was able to put about 10 miles on it.  It carves very smoothly but doesn't seem to have quite as much gyro effect as the H666 does on my 16x.  I haven't spent any time looking for other MC street tires for the Patton yet.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Also would really like to know what the best (stickiest) compound tire is for a 12 inch rim. On my motorcycles I always go for Michelin. However they don't make a street tire for a 12 inch rim. Neither does Pirelli. So my question is: Out of the available tires that will fit the Begote Extreme, which is the most similar in compound to a Michelin or Pirelli race tire? I don't care about wear, just want a really well performing street tire that also holds up well in the wet. I live in Florida...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:53 PM, Pappa Jules said:

Also would really like to know what the best (stickiest) compound tire is for a 12 inch rim. On my motorcycles I always go for Michelin. However they don't make a street tire for a 12 inch rim. Neither does Pirelli. So my question is: Out of the available tires that will fit the Begote Extreme, which is the most similar in compound to a Michelin or Pirelli race tire? I don't care about wear, just want a really well performing street tire that also holds up well in the wet. I live in Florida...

You shouldn’t worry about “stickiness” for a street EUC tire. With our weight directly over the tire we generate the highest amount of grip relative to any vehicle. Even on these cheap Chinese quality rubber you can lean as far as the pedals will go at any speed into corners and have grip. Your PSI would play a bigger role.

What you should worry about is the tire profile effecting the “handling”. Some produce a gyro effect where the tire wants to keep upright while others are neutral and just turn where you point it. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2023 at 2:53 AM, Pappa Jules said:

Also would really like to know what the best (stickiest) compound tire is for a 12 inch rim. On my motorcycles I always go for Michelin. However they don't make a street tire for a 12 inch rim. 

I found 3 different Michelin tires when I was shopping for tires. But I was looking at 90/90-12 and I dont really know that it would fit because the seller sent me the wrong euc lol.

I ended up  getting a a Michelin city extra (other options were city grip and city grip saver) 90/90-12. But yeah 80/90-12 seems to be a strange dimension not in stock in any of the places I looked.

The only street tyre options I can find for the Inmotion V12 are

- original CST 

- StarRide 70/90-12

- Kenda K657

- Heidenau - K55 2.75x16, 46J

Both on Ali.

Anybody has some experience with the StarRide?

Any options from well known manufacturers (Michelin, Pirelli...) ?

Edited by Unicyclone
added two more tyres

I looked into this a little while ago. Found a couple in 3x12 that look like possibilities.. 

Kenda K340a - looks great, haven't read anything about its use in 3x12 euc (it does come in 3 x 12).

chao yang 5146 - great euc reputation

heidenau k38 - I really like the look of this one, but it's an unknown.

image.thumb.png.60bb300f3982e831a6b16345a116fa20.png

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uras said:

I looked into this a little while ago. Found a couple in 3x12 that look like possibilities.. 

Kenda K340a - looks great, haven't read anything about its use in 3x12 euc (it does come in 3 x 12).

I think Wring Way put the K38 on his Patton if I'm not mistaken.  It looks like it would do well on street, but not so sure about its off road capabilities.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Uras said:

3x12

Just a heads up so you don’t accidentally buy a wrong size:

Bicycle standard is typed 12 x 3.0, diameter “x” width.

Motorcycle standard is typed 3.0 - 12, width “-“ diameter.

3x12 is neither of those so it could mean either one.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2023 at 8:32 AM, Uras said:

I have the k38 on my Patton. If you go over to the Patton thread I posted some thoughts on it. Let me know if you need any info or have any questions. I put a decent amount of miles on it by now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unicyclone said:

How many kilometers do you get out of your tires?

For the CST C-1488 (in your photo) 5000km is the absolute maximum I’ve seen, at which point it’s been a slick tire for a while already. Other bicycle type tires do seem to get a little more, while motorcycle tires are usually ok with at least 10k.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 12:30 PM, mrelwood said:

Just a heads up so you don’t accidentally buy a wrong size:

Bicycle standard is typed 12 x 3.0, diameter “x” width.

Motorcycle standard is typed 3.0 - 12, width “-“ diameter.

3x12 is neither of those so it could mean either one.

for sure. I just approach all this range of tires with skepticism. For example the J-6188 that is on my ks16x has the following printed on the side (verbatim) "16x3 / 76-305". Although in this instance, of course, the metric measurement is correct. So maybe just ignore the imperial measurements? 

On 8/25/2023 at 12:52 AM, Rollin-on-1 said:

I think Wring Way put the K38 on his Patton if I'm not mistaken.  It looks like it would do well on street, but not so sure about its off road capabilities.

I'm probably 70% street. Off road here is hard pack / loose over hard / or rocky. Slimy and slippery if it gets wet. I reckon that tire would be awesome here, depending on the compound of it. The tire I have now, J-6188 which nobody seems to like, is actually OK. I suppose we have a lot of weight over that one tire which really aids in traction.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:32 AM, Uras said:

for sure. I just approach all this range of tires with skepticism. For example the J-6188 that is on my ks16x has the following printed on the side (verbatim) "16x3 / 76-305". Although in this instance, of course, the metric measurement is correct. So maybe just ignore the imperial measurements? 

Like I said, bicycle standard is diameter “x” width, in that order. Motorcycle tires are width “-“ rim size, in that order.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Like I said, bicycle standard is diameter “x” width, in that order. Motorcycle tires are width “-“ rim size, in that order.

Not that simple. For ETRTO bicycle standard tire the inside diameter in millimeters comes after the "-", for example 76-305. For ISO standard motorcycle tire the inside diameter after "-" is in inches, for example 70/100-12.

11 hours ago, Eucner said:

For ETRTO bicycle standard

Sure, but no one talks about the ETRTO standards, and for a good reason. For example if you search for a 76-305 tire, you don’t find the 75-305 ones, which would fit your use just as well. And shops don’t usually mention the ETRTO measurements for the sides that we’re interested in. Besides, I don’t think all standard EUC tires even have the ETRTO measurements on them.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:19 AM, Uras said:

90mm = 3.54 inches

that is correct. However multiple metric-imperial conversion charts on the web show that 90/90 should be equal to 2.75-3.00 inch tire.
 image.png.92a251de24a5d2a458fc29f357e6a113.png

I wonder if anybody tried 90/90-12 on their EUC?