Street Tire Options for 12 inch rim? (T4, Patton, Extreme, V12, S16, 16x, V14, Commander mini++)

Poker

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

Could you be so kind to take a quick couple of measurements using a measuring tape of the overall width and overall diameter of your Chao Yang H626 tire?

My guess is that the overall width should be close to 3".

And the overall diameter should be a touch over 18".

In order to fit on the V12 (HS), the overall diameter cannot be over 18.5".

Thanks.

I will do this today for you! I just need some time to run some errands this AM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

Could you be so kind to take a quick couple of measurements using a measuring tape of the overall width and overall diameter of your Chao Yang H626 tire?

My guess is that the overall width should be close to 3".

And the overall diameter should be a touch over 18".

In order to fit on the V12 (HS), the overall diameter cannot be over 18.5".

Thanks.

So these are quick rough measurements. 

Width is right at 3 maybe even a hair over.

The diameter is also pretty much on point with what you said. A touch over 18.

I don't feel confident my measurements are pinpoint accurate but they should be pretty close.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

So these are quick rough measurements. 

Width is right at 3 maybe even a hair over.

The diameter is also pretty much on point with what you said. A touch over 18.

I don't feel confident my measurements are pinpoint accurate but they should be pretty close.

Thank you for your trouble.

This is what I was looking for.

This is really good news for me. I think it is worthwhile for me to give it a try on my V12 (HS).

There is still some risks due to the rim width not being the spec'd approved rim width of 1.85".

33 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Thank you for your trouble.

This is what I was looking for.

This is really good news for me. I think it is worthwhile for me to give it a try on my V12 (HS).

There is still some risks due to the rim width not being the spec'd approved rim width of 1.85".

Good luck!! It's going to be a close fit. Maybe you can ask the shop your using if they think it will work also. Just as an extra set of eyes!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I just changed the stock knobby on my Patton (Tire had a deformation in it that wouldn't go away.  Thanks to @OldSolo, I now have a Shinko 241 on it and it rides amazing on street.  Haven't had a chance to take it offroad yet but I am sure it is fine.  I have the stock V11 tire on my V11 and that and the Shinko both ride just as smooth on the pavement.  I know it's not technically a street tire, but I think it performs pretty well for agility and carving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigkidneys said:

now have a Shinko 241 on it and it rides amazing on street. 

Did you put on a 2.75-14 or 3.00-14 Shinko 241 on your Patton?

Was the Shinko 241 that much than the stock tire on your Patton for street use, especially for 30+ mph speed?

Edited by techyiam

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

Was the Shinko 241 that much than the stock tire on your Patton for street use, especially for 30+ mph speed?

It is much better because my original knobby had some sort of manufacturers defect as it had a wobble.  Tried deflating and unseating and reinflating to different pressures with no better result.  Changed to the 3.00 that was gifted to me and it works perfectly.  So much smoother, no wobble, no noise.  Of course most were issues because the tire was defective but this tire is much better for my needs as I mostly ride street.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, techyiam said:

Patton is 12 inch rim. 

1 hour ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Patton is 12 inch rim. 

Thanks. But he knew what I was asking, and replied back saying it's a 3.00.

The Patton stock tire size is 3.00-12. Unfortunately, at the time I was writing that, somehow, I was thinking about something else at the same time. In any case, I was only interested in whether he went stock size or under-size.

The reason I asked was because I went undersize on my V12, and that tire rode a lot better than the stock size, stock tire, and also a stock size, aftermarket tire.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

The Patton stock tire size is 3.00-12. Unfortunately, at the time I was writing that, somehow, I was thinking about something else at the same time. In any case, I was only interested in whether he went stock size or under-size.

The reason I asked was because I went undersize on my V12, and that tire rode a lot better than the stock size, stock tire, and also a stock size, aftermarket tire.

I've seen a few people order the wrong tire (mostly ordering a tire for a 16 inch rim for their "16 inch" EUC.  I had a feeling it was typed 14 out of habit, but wanted to point it out to potentially save a wrong order from being placed. 👍

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 12:54 AM, techyiam said:

I've never thought about putting a smaller one on there.  I wonder how much improvement it would offer?  It rides so much better now but given the original tire defect, that is most likely why.  This one retains the maneuverability but has the cool whirr sound when coming down the road.  I have the Pidzoom finger horn and after putting the new tire on, many of my neighbors hear me coming so I haven't had to use the horn with others walking on on their bikes.  My horn is the OG version so when they add the bell ringtone I will likely buy another.  They work very well.

10 minutes ago, Bigkidneys said:

I've never thought about putting a smaller one on there.  I wonder how much improvement it would offer? 

My guess is that it is a shot in the dark.

Until you try you wouldn't really know beforehand.

If you are happy with your current tire, I wouldn't deviate.

In my case, with the my V12, the stock tire is a bicycle tire CST 1488: 16x3.0.

I also put on a street tire: 2.75-12. This a scooter tire that has a stiffer carcass then the stock tire. It rode better than the stock tire. The wheel became more stable and comfortable.

The problem with my V12 is that it became very apparent that the it feels skittish, and less planted after I added an Abrams and an S22 to my stable.

By putting on this CST MOPED tubeless hybrid tire on my V12: 2.50-12, my V12 became relevant again, even when compared with my S22 and Abrams. This is a scooter tire that has a very stiff carcass, and the tire profile is the most flat of the three tires. What is notable about this tire is that the wheel became less skittish, felt more planted, and has much less tramlining tendency. Moreover, with this tire, my legs get punish less on bumpy roads.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 3:27 AM, Ro.man said:

I've already posted that in V14 topic, but think it could benefit the current discussion as well.

Michelin City Grip vs. Pirelli Angel Scooter: A Side-by-Side Comparison

photo_2024-02-15_23-06-08.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.444b1985f7e96ec069aa1c2787947ee6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e098446e5d48705a4363daab80c097b6.jpeg

Angel Scooter is on the wheel now and I’m ready to compare it with City Grip that I had before.

I couldn’t imagine that these 2 street tires from well known brands could behave that different!

On paper they are both 90/90-12 tires with road pattern. Pirelli maintains a slightly smaller outer diameter that fits V14 without any rubbing issues. I have yet to test it with a fender; however, I've noticed that, in contrast, the Michelin tire tends to make contact with the wheel arc at higher pressures even without a fender.

Weight-wise, the Angel Scooter (2.7 kg) is slightly lighter than the City Grip (2.9 kg), yet still heavier than the standard knobby tire (2.1 kg). Some would guess that this makes the tire lighter and more nimble, but that cannot be further away from the truth.

The fundamental variance lies in the tires' profiles. Pirelli sports a smooth U-shaped contour, while Michelin features a “pointier” V-shape. This distinction drastically alters riding dynamics, especially on an EUC.

Initially, the Pirelli's neutral handling surprised me; it didn't exhibit the same pull to one side that I experienced with my previous Michelin tire. I attribute this trait to a possible defect in my specific tire rather than a general issue with this model. I’m not claiming that all Michelin City Grip tires pull to one side, I assume most of them don’t.

At lower speeds, both tires display similar agility. However, as the speed surpasses 25-30 km/h, Pirelli desire to maintain a straight path and require significantly more effort to maneuver. Turning on Pirelli feels more laborious, demanding substantial physical input to achieve direction changes. Conversely, the Michelin responds almost seamlessly to directional intentions. You just have to look towards the turn and it follows.

Carving on high speed is also a lot slower on Pirelli tire. Where on Michelin it was as quick as thinking to carve, Pirelli takes time to change direction, it is like steering a truck.

Yet, in windy conditions, Pirelli shines. While Michelin necessitated major body adjustments to combat side winds, Pirelli allowed for easy compensation with minimal shifts, proving superior for sustained high-speed travel on highways.

When it comes to bad roads, looks like Pirelli is a bit more sensitive to them. While on perfectly flat roads it is flawless, some road imperfections can throw the tire to the side or cause a wobble, however the wobbles are usually easy to put down with this tire.

Comfort-wise both tires eat small bumps quite a bit better than the stock knobby tire. However, if we compare these 2 street tires, Michelin takes the crown on comfort. Probably because it has much softer sidewalls and can deform more.

Because of those sidewalls installation ease also differed; the Michelin was easy to mount, whereas fitting the Pirelli required soap, water, and inflating to 120 psi to ensure proper seating.

In Summary, Pirelli Angel Scooter excels in straight, high-speed stability, making it an outstanding choice for long-distance highway adventures. On the other hand, Michelin City Grip offers a lighter, more agile feel, significantly enhancing the fun factor in riding, particularly in high-speed carving and cornering scenarios.

My ideal EUC street tire would embody the middle ground between these two — with a leaning preference towards the characteristics of the Michelin for its enjoyable ride experience.

Hey mate, did you manage to get your fender on with your Pirelli tire? I'm hoping to change over to a street tire, and the only ones I have available to me are the Shinko SR879 and the Dunlop D307 in the 90/90-12 size. Running a fender is pretty mandatory, so I don't wanna pull the trigger unless it'll fit, could you let us know (:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...