Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

19 hours ago, Cobaltsaber said:

As for the subway system, I absolutely hate the subway system here. Its still much more efficient to travel via PEV than it is to take public transit. Our public transit here has absolutely nothing compared to Asia or even European development. You should know by how unreliable the TTC is. I was late for work multiple times until I started commuting on my EX30

In my experience the more I keep up with traffic, cars behind me give me more space. If I am going under the speed limit however, cars squeeze and tailgate me harder. North America is heavily car oriented. To the point where all my close calls almost getting hit by a car have been on the sidewalk or bikelane going 20-25kmh. I feel safer on the road going faster.

Cobaltsaber,

i agree with you that the ttc is unreliable at times,  but not all the time.  im not one to slag the ttc (except i think their union is abit too much) but it is undeniable that the ttc literally moves the city's masses on a daily basis.  i have been affected in the past by slow downs and break downs and that is just a by-product of a transport system that is heavily used.

i do not agree with the euc being an example of efficient transportation when compared to mass transit.  again, to me,  the euc is entertainment,  and its limitation is quite obvious - its meant for single user only.  of course its obvious its relatively pollution free,  small, and portable (to a certain extent for the smaller eucs,  not for machines like the V13, etc,...).  but you cant carry much while you ride it,  and you are not shielded from the weather.  plus,  depending on your physical condition,  i cant see all senior citizens and very young children attempting to ride an euc,  but i can most certainly see them riding the subway or bus to get somewhere.

my comments on the rideone video are only about the presentation of riding the euc.  again, its not about whether we need bigger faster eucs... people will ride what they want to ride.  im also not commenting on whether or not they should or shouldnt make bigger faster eucs.  my only concern is the promotion of riding recklessly, and with no respect for common sense or respect for others using the bike lanes, pedestrian walkways, and city streets.  a case in point is this video of a 'blitz' race -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOoKwTX0FU

its been posted elsewhere on this forum and its been well received and applauded... my comments are mainly about the riding, not about what we chose to ride or where to ride.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, techyiam said:

If you don't mind my asking:

(1) What tire is on your EX30 when you ride it with the flow of traffic?

(2) Are police "looking the other way" when they see you riding with the speed of traffic in a car lane on your EX30?

(3) How do you convince yourself to trust your EX30 enough to ride with cars following behind you at speeds?

1) I have the stock cst6501 that came on some newer EX30s. Love that tire on the wider rim

2) Ridden by multiple police cars and never had an issue. Coming against me opposite lane, riding alongside them, stopped at a red light (cuz I actually stop for red lights). They never batted an eye. 

3) I have just accepted that this is the nature of the beast. I consciously chose to ride on a single wheel. There are pros and cons. If I wanted safety id be on an ebike instead. The chance of a wheel dropping me due to hardware error at 70kmh is pretty similar to the wheel dropping me at 30kmh. Best I can do is mitigate risk by gearing up and riding respectfully. In groups we also always call out every 15-30 seconds or so if there are cars behind our group. I get that style of riding is not for everyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bpong said:

my comments on the rideone video are only about the presentation of riding the euc.  again, its not about whether we need bigger faster eucs

I think I mixed in other user's responses about not needing faster wheels with your response. Sorry about that

I agree with you there. Its not a great look in the bigger picture. Lets all enjoy this hobby and spread a positive image on these crazy machines we ride. Cheers

• Thanks 1

I have yet to try a v14, but talks of the updated extreme linkage is garbage even compared to the old linkage and shock

Does anyone have a detailed comparison or review of the v14 suspension? I have yet to hear anything besides "its good".

I know the rideone unit has suspension problems. You can see the suspension not even moving on some of the stairs footage, yet the people in the review say its good. The editor of the video on facebook also admitted that his editing of the video is a bit biased 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Cobaltsaber said:

I have the stock cst6501 that came on some newer EX30s. Love that tire on the wider rim

Thanks. Good to know.

Ridden by multiple police cars and never had an issue. Coming against me opposite lane, riding alongside them, stopped at a red light (cuz I actually stop for red lights). They never batted an eye. 

Gee, that's fantastic. You guys can really enjoy the big fast wheels then.

I have just accepted that this is the nature of the beast. I consciously chose to ride on a single wheel. There are pros and cons. If I wanted safety id be on an ebike instead. The chance of a wheel dropping me due to hardware error at 70kmh is pretty similar to the wheel dropping me at 30kmh. Best I can do is mitigate risk by gearing up and riding respectfully. In groups we also always call out every 15-30 seconds or so if there are cars behind our group. I get that style of riding is not for everyone.

Since riding my first suspension wheel, my pace has gone up, especially at places and time when there is no traffic. I even venture into car lanes more often. But I am still not comfortable riding with cars behind me. I feel that I haven't reached a high enough level of skill, nor do I feel my S22 is good enough, based on my motorcycling experiences. I thought at first, the speed of my S22 was capable enough for my use-case. However, my mind is starting to change. I think I like to get another wheel with higher speed capability That is why your post regarding riding with the flow of traffic on an EX30 caught my eye. Another wheel that I think is a good candidate is the V13.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, CrabChampion said:

I have yet to try a v14, but talks of the updated extreme linkage is garbage even compared to the old linkage and shock

Does anyone have a detailed comparison or review of the v14 suspension? I have yet to hear anything besides "its good".

I know the rideone unit has suspension problems. You can see the suspension not even moving on some of the stairs footage, yet the people in the review say its good. The editor of the video on facebook also admitted that his editing of the video is a bit biased 

you are correct to view their review footage with caution... there are times i wonder whether opinions and observations made by reviewers are factual or simply made to bolster an already tarnished image...

53 minutes ago, CrabChampion said:

I agree with you there. Its not a great look in the bigger picture. Lets all enjoy this hobby and spread a positive image on these crazy machines we ride. Cheers

you are 'damn right' on that statement...

• Like 2

@Marty BackeI just saw the replacement V14 was tubeless.

I might have missed it but the would be a first in the market atleast I. 16+" wheels or? 

In short what do you think is the pro and cons with going tubeless? 

I can reveal that when we saw gw/begode wheels tearing the valve of the inner tube I suggested this going tubeless but they did bring it to the V13. 

I recall you did fiddle with tubeless on a mten some time back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrabChampion said:

Any link for this bias comment on Facebook ? That is a serious allegation that needs to be backed by it source. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder

1 hour ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Any link for this bias comment on Facebook ? That is a serious allegation that needs to be backed by it source. 

here you go https://m.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/7006403812790855/?comment_id=7007096339388269&reply_comment_id=7007534276011142&mibextid=S66gvF

In the video around the 9:05 mark, especially at 9:13 you can tell the wheel pretty much has no suspension whatsoever. No movement in the linkage or anything

Edited by CrabChampion
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Somehow im unable to open the link but thanks for providing. 

Posted (edited)

Too bad Eric Bell, the video editor of Ride One missed the point of Ride Reviews.

Even at the most simplest level, the typical rider will not be buy all the competing models. They will have to narrow down to the one that is best for the individual. Beyond spec's, there are the early batch issues. The latter is especially pertinent to euc's since some faults can cause crashes. Additionally, having to deal with issues sucks with a new wheel. Moreover, there are ride characteristics, wobbles tendencies, and etc to compare among them. It's is crazy to say cutting out negatives in a review is justified because otherwise it would discourage people from buying since sales help the industry grow. Makes no sense.

22 hours ago, CrabChampion said:

The editor of the video on facebook also admitted that his editing of the video is a bit biased 

1 hour ago, eezo said:

image.png.120ffdb697e608ea3e5fa71e8d0596b6.png

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, techyiam said:

It's is crazy to say cutting out negatives in a review is justified because otherwise it would discourage people from buying since sales help the industry grow. Makes no sense.

It makes sense, it's just unethical.

• Like 1

1. I've never ridden with a knobby tire. I understand that it is great on dirt, but what about the cornering on dry, humid, or wet paved/asphalt road? How does it compare to a street tire?

2. Can the v14 be ordered with a street tire? I didn't see any of the main sellers to be offering that option.

23 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

cornering on dry, humid, or wet paved/asphalt road? How does it compare to a street tire?

The street tire will have more grip in most cases on paved roads. You simply have more contact area with the pavement

24 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

Can the v14 be ordered with a street tire? I didn't see any of the main sellers to be offering that option.

Ive seen the v14 at the inmotion factory with more of a hybrid tire, but there is no street tire option stock

9 minutes ago, CrabChampion said:

Ive seen the v14 at the inmotion factory with more of a hybrid tire, but there is no street tire option stock

What street tire was Ride One using for his video in Toronto?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, eezo said:

It makes sense, it's just unethical.

This is what I said:

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

It's is crazy to say cutting out negatives in a review is justified because otherwise it would discourage people from buying since sales help the industry grow. Makes no sense.

I stand by my statement.

He doesn't make sense because people are still going to buy wheels even if reviews contain negatives comments. People will continue to buy the wheel that they deemed the best fit given what they know from their pre-purchase research. Sale volumes won't plummet and kill the industry if reviews contain negative comments. In fact, it would be the opposite, because the properly informed buyers would be happier than the ones who got misled and ended up buying lemons, or mismatched wheels. More happy buyers and better wheels can help grow the industry.

Regarding ethics, some people may think that they are ethical as long as they don't tell lies.

They may not regard misleading others by omission is unethical. 

If Ride One videos continue this trend, they will learned that their actions will paint themselves a certain way, and the viewers will pick that up and respond in kind.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 2:30 PM, Unventor said:

@Marty BackeI just saw the replacement V14 was tubeless.

I might have missed it but the would be a first in the market atleast I. 16+" wheels or? 

In short what do you think is the pro and cons with going tubeless? 

I can reveal that when we saw gw/begode wheels tearing the valve of the inner tube I suggested this going tubeless but they did bring it to the V13. 

I recall you did fiddle with tubeless on a mten some time back. 

Turns out I was wrong. The valve stem comes out of the rim at an angle that is parallel to the axle and looked like a tubeless valve. But with some prodding from @Jason McNeil I deflated the tire and can see that it's not tubeless. Bummer :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jmsjms said:

1. I've never ridden with a knobby tire. I understand that it is great on dirt, but what about the cornering on dry, humid, or wet paved/asphalt road? How does it compare to a street tire?

2. Can the v14 be ordered with a street tire? I didn't see any of the main sellers to be offering that option.

According to Adam WrongWay, the street tire will be quieter, have more grip on asphalt, but it will be more prone to wobbling and traintracking. Those negatives stopped me from ordering a Michelin street tire before I grow my skills enough.

Edited by Ro.man

41 minutes ago, Ro.man said:

WrongWay, the street tire will be quieter, have more grip on asphalt, but it will be more prone to wobbling and traintracking.

Although i agree it's quieter i completely disagree with his diagnosis. The Pilot 2 street tire made my v13 much less wobbly as well as completely eliminated the "train tracking" problem the CST tire had.