s22 PRO is it better than the old s22?

Finn Bjerke

3 hours ago, oekmekci said:

I have the s22 for almost a year now and bought the s22 pro few days ago. You immediately feel the torque difference the moment you ride it. There was some really steep hill(30+ degrees). The s22 barely made it to the top but pro easily climbed it. The acceleration and braking is definitely way way better. It feels like the s22 motor starts struggling if you demand too much too fast and you can hear the coil whine or vibrations in the windings of the motor if you lean too hard. The new sliders squeak yet even the best cleaned and oiled regular s22 suspension feels like non-suspension compared to the pro. The pro is what s20 and s22 should already have been. Desirable torque, awesome and modular suspension. I also can say that the range is better. I am 90kg and my friend is 120kg. I rode the s22 and he rode the pro, we both had similar battery at the end of the ride after 50-60km of ride with avg. speed of 30km and occasinally doing 50-60kmh when we rode on the road. Also the beeper is different as well. New beeper feels loud yet somewhat more subtle.

I am around 60-65 kgs so I am not sure if I will feel that much difference between them im considering buying just the s22 and maybe upgrade the sliders myself but I shill need to think and save up a bit ;) 

13 hours ago, oekmekci said:

I have the s22 for almost a year now and bought the s22 pro few days ago. You immediately feel the torque difference the moment you ride it. There was some really steep hill(30+ degrees). The s22 barely made it to the top but pro easily climbed it. The acceleration and braking is definitely way way better. It feels like the s22 motor starts struggling if you demand too much too fast and you can hear the coil whine or vibrations in the windings of the motor if you lean too hard. The new sliders squeak yet even the best cleaned and oiled regular s22 suspension feels like non-suspension compared to the pro. The pro is what s20 and s22 should already have been. Desirable torque, awesome and modular suspension. I also can say that the range is better. I am 90kg and my friend is 120kg. I rode the s22 and he rode the pro, we both had similar battery at the end of the ride after 50-60km of ride with avg. speed of 30km and occasinally doing 50-60kmh when we rode on the road. Also the beeper is different as well. New beeper feels loud yet somewhat more subtle.

Have you updated the original S22 firmware to 2.2.7? It got a lot more torque starting at 2.2.5. If the difference is really that drastic on the pro I may consider upgrading the motor myself one day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beandon said:

Have you updated the original S22 firmware to 2.2.7? It got a lot more torque starting at 2.2.5. If the difference is really that drastic on the pro I may consider upgrading the motor myself one day

Yeah i immediately noticed the torque after 2.25. Previously the the device was feeling like it lacks the torque and after updating it felt like a new euc. But the torque difference is much much more on the new motor compared to upgrading firmware to v2.25+. I love to send the s22 on ramps and jumping. I think the new motor is definitely worth it especially if you are jumping ramps, and sending it. The very reason i bought the pro is s22 cutting off during climbing a ramp in the dirt jump area and comparing the both the s22 and the pro in that steep hill i mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oekmekci said:

Yeah i immediately noticed the torque after 2.25. Previously the the device was feeling like it lacks the torque and after updating it felt like a new euc. But the torque difference is much much more on the new motor compared to upgrading firmware to v2.25+. I love to send the s22 on ramps and jumping. I think the new motor is definitely worth it especially if you are jumping ramps, and sending it. The very reason i bought the pro is s22 cutting off during climbing a ramp in the dirt jump area and comparing the both the s22 and the pro in that steep hill i mentioned.

I am mostly going to use it in the city and some light off-road riding (may not be that light) some stairs etc so not sure if I should get the new motor or not and since I am light weight (to most people) im not sure if I will even be able to over power the old one. what do you think?

Even if you're light weight, any wheel can be overpowered if you torque it hard going uphill.  The question is more, "how much headroom do I want to be able to climb steep hills, or accelerate very quickly?" or "How fast do I want to go?".  Initial reviews seem to suggest that the s22 can climb steeper hills and doesn't overpower as easily.  Of course, it's still easy to overpower if you try deliberately, or accelerate hard on a steep hill.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:41 PM, Finn Bjerke said:

Have anyne been abe t compare the 2 ???

Newer looks better, strongrr motor and better sliders.

But after week of use already some noises from suspension....and range looks very poor 71km with avg. speed 23km/h (10% less than older version) - is it possible that 2200wh battery gives so bad range?

Edited by Greg X

2 hours ago, Greg X said:

But after week of use already some noises from suspension....and range looks very poor 71km with avg. speed 23km/h (10% less than older version) - is it possible that 2200wh battery gives so bad range?

Range is hard to compare unless the test is properly standardised. The S22 has had many FW updates that have changed the power output since release.

A fair test would be both wheels on the latest firmware riding side by side. Even better would be to have riders as close to the same weight as possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Think this thread is the best to use for this question.

Would there be a difference in torque comparing a S22PRO and S22 non pro with the new motor installed? 

If I understand the motherboard was not changed, are they using the same firmware? Will it just match the torque of PRO if you change the motor? 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Drunkard said:

Would there be a difference in torque comparing a S22PRO and S22 non pro with the new motor installed? 

This has been talked about in a Telegram group.

The concensus seems to be that the motor does increase torque and efficiency (range).

Damn, if the stupid named pro slides are squeaking... Sounds like they did the same damn thing with the replacement slides on the original one!!!! The alternate rollers are too far apart with zero clearance... You literally have to force the slides in!!!! 👎 I simply left one side of rollers out for that reason.... 

5 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

Anyone got an idea what this is? 

Error codes at startup

I just installed a new motor on my wheel and this is the last thing I want to see after the hours it took getting this thing on here. 

On 4/3/2023 at 10:41 PM, Finn Bjerke said:

Have anyne been abe t compare the 2 ???

some dealers selling S22 non Pro with upgraded motor and installed roller sliders. So difference i found is on the Pro: thiker sliders 12mm vs 8mm, and preinstalled velcro for power pads.. what more? its about 300eur difference only for that?

On 4/11/2023 at 8:00 AM, Greg X said:

Más nuevo se ve mejor, motor más fuerte y mejores controles deslizantes.

Pero después de una semana de uso, ya se escucharon algunos ruidos de la suspensión... y el alcance se ve muy pobre, 71 km con promedio. velocidad 23 km/h (10% menos que la versión anterior) - ¿Es posible que la batería de 2200wh dé tan mal alcance?

He visto que en mi S22 Pro hay un ligero juego de movimiento en los tornillos de unión entre las bieletas de la suspensión.

Los tornillos están bien apretados pero estando la rueda en reposo, sin nadie encima, levantas un poco la rueda y se aprecia un movimiento en ese punto donde hay un rodamiento a interno...

Creo que es desgaste de los rodamientos que hay dentro de las bieletas grandes de la suspensión. Y hace un leve "clack clack" en algunos saltos...

Alguien ha tenido ese problema?

Mod edit: Please post in English here!

Google Translate:

"I have seen that in my S22 Pro there is a slight movement play in the union bolts between the suspension links.

The bolts are well tightened but with the wheel at rest, with nobody on top of it, you lift the wheel a bit and a movement can be seen at that point where there is an internal bearing...

I think it's wear on the bearings inside the large suspension links. And it makes a slight "clack clack" in some jumps...

Has anyone had that problem?"

Screenshot_20230501_102432.jpg

Edited by meepmeepmayer
English translation added

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the PRO motor into the original S22.

My initial impressions are similar to Wrongway. I can't overpower the wheel by flicking it and the wheel feels like it just wants to go.

The torque seems much improved as I can actually accelerate to 50km/h+ going uphill which is a pretty amazing feeling.

I've not yet been able to access the 8kW power peak. The best I can do is 6kW which is what I could get with the old motor. The safety margins kick in before the power is available when riding at speed. I will probably need to adjust my power pads for a more superman-style lean to see if the power peak can at least be accessed on acceleration.

I've not noticed any difference in range (motor efficiency).

The braking performance is much improved.
Previously I would typically pull -0.47g on deceleration before she would start getting soft on me @ -2649W / -21.7A peak
With the PRO motor I've managed -0.63g @ -3198W/-26.6A peak and still not soft which is a notable safety related upgrade (emergency braking).

For context:

Many safety experts use 15 ft/sec2 (0.47 g's) as the maximum deceleration that is safe for the average driver to maintain control, good to excellent tires, dry surface. A reasonably skilled driver can stop at 20 ft/sec2 (0.62 g's). Most production street vehicles have a maximum braking around 0.8 g's.

2 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

You all are morons

You need to read the rules of this forum again. Calling others morons (or any other degrading name) is not ok here. This ain’t Reddit. If you are not ok with the rules, we can give you some time off if you’d like.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 7:30 AM, MetricUSA said:

You all are morons if you are overpowering the damn wheel.... Considering that e-bikes are only supposed to go 40 Km/h!!! 

You think this is an e-bike forum? And you think e-bikes are only supposed to go 40 Km/h? ....and you think we are morons?

lol...

Tell us more....

• Haha 1

Back on topic: I've heard a few people saying the difference between the old motor and the new motor is not very noticeable. 

Can we get a few more people giving us their thoughts? Is it truly noticeable?

2 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I've heard a few people saying the difference between the old motor and the new motor is not very noticeable. 

I have no experience myself, but I’ve heard mostly the opposite. That the difference is remarkable.

Edited by mrelwood

On 6/22/2023 at 5:31 AM, mrelwood said:

I have no experience myself, but I’ve heard mostly the opposite. That the difference is remarkable.

That's what I thought too. But Casey (EUC Way of Life), said he hardly noticed much difference. He just recently bought a Gold Anniversary S22 from Eevees. And he had own two S22's prior.

Time-stamped.