1 size doesn't fit everybody

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

My bad.

I was asking in a different context.

What I am alluding to was that you won't be able to ride the V13 very well without a set of good pads.

The first time you try to ride it, you will be overwhelmed by the weight and overall size.

And the other thing is, the V13 won't stop when you lean back without pads. So you would naturally lean back more until you fall off the back.

The rotational inertia of the V13 is very high, a lot higher than even an Abrams. 

Once you have try riding a V13 without pads, you will understand.

i thought that was what the front handle was for?

so pads keep a rider from falling off the back when stopping?

if the v13 is unrideable without pads, i'll sell it.

Edited by novazeus

43 minutes ago, novazeus said:

Without doubt you will be selling it.

You should go on the V13 thread and ask the owners there whether it is rideable on an V13 without pads.

There is also a V13 group on Facebook.

Edited by techyiam

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

well mine will have pads. they are called yoga mats.

You could also try no slip carpet tape on the top areas on the two sides. But because the rotational inertia is so high, once it starts to roll, it is very difficult to stop that sucker without pads.

But you will find out for yourself soon enough.

the s22 isn't easy to master stopping. (especially since repositioning the pedals lower and forward) but i always practice and find my feet position first between parallel bars first on any wheel i buy. that's why i don't like spikes.

if u took four bathroom scales and put two under the balls of ur feet and two under ur heels, and then u stand on ur toes, all ur weight would register on the front scales. same if u stood on ur heels. why u also need shoes like van's skateboarding shoes and not big heavy boots. i love my mte hiking van's but not for feet type riding. i like them because of their ratcheting  cable shoelaces. i have to use them on the spiked pedals because the waffle soles on regular van's lock in too tight like gears on the spiked pedals. 

and stopping is very important, that's why u need to learn how before going too fast. it becomes natural after awhile. i never get wobbles, never had wobbles. i just let the wheel do it's thing without over compensating with my legs. like riding a surfboard. 

and i don't go too fast for my environment. i practice stopping alot because my road is only like 2000' long. it does take some technique. feet position, just like gripping a golf club is everything. must be neutral. same for the wheel. my right foot is accelerator and brake. left foot is stationery. no legs touching the wheel. maybe a rider using pads can stop quicker. and i'm not having to deal with hills because florida is pretty flat. if i was up north i might ride differently. in florida if the raw land was hilly, the developers flatten it to slow storm water runoff. 

the only time i lean is sometimes starting off. squat if i need to brake quickly. maybe i'll put reins on the v13 like a horse. won't know until it gets here. i'm not a speed demon. no overleans for me.

so if u were out and about and someone ripped off ur velcro attached grizzla pads, would u have to call a cab to get u and ur wheel home?

12 hours ago, novazeus said:

how do u remove the pedal spikes? 
hopefully the v13 spikes are removable. 

my dealer is changing the tire for me but i'll have a take off spare from the v13. i have to buy an extra tire. 

pads i don't care. they can be tossed because they come "free" with the wheel.

conversely, can't spiked pedals be added?
the s18 came with anti skid tape, the s22 with spiked pedals. why?

V13 has removable pedal spikes although they are not really "spikes". They are the same kind as on the Inmotion honeycomb pedals. A lot of people say it's not aggressive enough and switch to a grub screw.

You don't have to change the tire from the V13. It is a very good dual sport tire with a nice rounded profile.

S18 and S22 are wheels meant for riding offroad. You need to be able to not slip off your pedals if you end up stepping in some mud.

• Like 1

Actually spiked pedals are quit better, then regular flat griptape ones. I hated the griptape - because mud/sand/dirt/snow would stay on pedals.. You would need to clean them daily.. On honeycomb pedals everything falls true them - no need to clean at all. 

Especially those pedals, which spikes can be changed/removed. I personally hated my original spikes on my honeycomb pedals. They were to "spiky".. :D They destroyed bottoms of my shoes. I simply removed them and exchanged them to "HEX socket screws". Those screw heads are big enough, to not sink into my shoes bottoms. Same time not having that knife like edge.

Yes - i lost overall grip because of those screws. But same time the grip is way better than original pedal griptape had. 

Removable spikes IS A MUST on any pedals.. Cast/non-removable spikes are on SHIT PEDALS.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, conecones said:

S18 and S22 are wheels meant for riding offroad. You need to be able to not slip off your pedals if you end up stepping in some mud.

they work on pavement too, and i won't be riding offroad with them. no mud, no water, no snow etc etc etc. just multiuse trails.

first thing a new jeep owner wants to do is find some mudhole to go play in. if u grew up on a cattle ranch, u avoid that shit if at all possible. wears out ur vehicle. 

that's great the screws are removable!

i like repositioning my feet on the pedals, my right foot. my accelerator/brake foot. different riding styles.

Edited by novazeus

47 minutes ago, conecones said:

You don't have to change the tire from the V13. It is a very good dual sport tire with a nice rounded profile.

the knobby on the s22 is fine now too but picks up acorns on my road. even this shit jiluer on the s18 picks up aggregate from my road and both scrape the fender like fingernails on a chalkboard.

On 2/27/2023 at 12:11 AM, novazeus said:

without proper sidewalks and multiuse paths

Copenhagen style bike paths might be even better.

Protection from moving cars and doors opening.

Even more efficient to have on one side of road only.

Copenhagen_Style_Bike_Lane_2.jpg

commuter-and-sport-cyclist-on-the-beach-

10 hours ago, novazeus said:

never mounted a tire on anything

Tyre mounting spoons/levers can pinch the tube and puncture it.

This is another method, used to mount the tyre and tube, on motorcycle rim. 

Might be easier and eliminate tube pinching.

No tyre levers needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Perhaps turn them upside down?

no, the bottoms are tapered. u would fall off of them upside down. good try though.

i'm busy trying to save this baby calf but i think the rubber mat idea i had will be dual purpose. esp considering how harsh the stock suspension is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, novazeus said:

i thought that was what the front handle was for?

so pads keep a rider from falling off the back when stopping?

It's rideable without pads, just like any wheel is rideable without pads. You'll just be relying heavily on soft ride modes and be sluggish as hell.

17 hours ago, novazeus said:

i would think adding pads and spiked pedals increases the cost of the wheel. make those items optional or let the buyers buy aftermarket like most do anyway. 

They do increase the cost, but it shouldn't matter to someone like yourself who buys V13 & S22 to do something that a V10F/18XL is better suited for.

i don't like not being able to change my feet position with spiked pedals. haven't leaned how to ride on one foot yet. with anti skid tape i can. 

and my legs don't touch the wheel. so especially with knee/shin protectors pads are uncomfortable. pads are nbd. they can go in the garbage. the just add cost to the wheel. i hate waste. with anti skid tape i can reposition my feet. 

If that's your reasoning behind not liking spiked pedals - especially if your only experience with "spiked" pedals are the slippery ones on the stock S22, then you need to spend more time practicing riding, seriously. There's no nicer way for me to say this but if you can't adjust your feet position while riding, you've got no business riding a wheel that goes faster than 40km/h. This is such a basic skill and spiked pedals absolutely do not hinder any competent rider from doing this. I also assume you've never learned how to sit ride either, because doing this requires a large shift in feet position and being comfortable in multiple positions. My advice to any new rider has always to get competent with the stock equipment first before going down the massive rabbit hole of shopping for customizations. Often times beginners don't realize what they are changing on their wheels are actually detrimental to their learning progress and safety (I put spiked pedals in this category).

so like if u want to get on ur wheel, u don't have to put on shoes, like if ur just practicing.

Yeah, and if you plan on doing this, you probably shouldn't be going faster than 15km/h. Something like a V5F/14D is perfect, no modifications required.

5 hours ago, novazeus said:

the s22 isn't easy to master stopping. (especially since repositioning the pedals lower and forward) but i always practice and find my feet position first between parallel bars first on any wheel i buy. that's why i don't like spikes.

if u took four bathroom scales and put two under the balls of ur feet and two under ur heels, and then u stand on ur toes, all ur weight would register on the front scales. same if u stood on ur heels. why u also need shoes like van's skateboarding shoes and not big heavy boots. i love my mte hiking van's but not for feet type riding. i like them because of their ratcheting  cable shoelaces. i have to use them on the spiked pedals because the waffle soles on regular van's lock in too tight like gears on the spiked pedals. 

I don't think you've mastered stopping if you think pads and spiked pedals work against your ability to stop.

5 hours ago, novazeus said:

so if u were out and about and someone ripped off ur velcro attached grizzla pads, would u have to call a cab to get u and ur wheel home?

It's silly to think people who add custom pads are unable to ride without them. Sure there are some beginners who over-rely on pads, but most who get custom pads are doing it so they can accelerate and stop faster. Anyone can ride without pads, they just need to go slower. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, conecones said:

It's rideable without pads, just like any wheel is rideable without pads. You'll just be relying heavily on soft ride modes and be sluggish as hell.

They do increase the cost, but it shouldn't matter to someone like yourself who buys V13 & S22 to do something that a V10F/18XL is better suited for.

If that's your reasoning behind not liking spiked pedals - especially if your only experience with "spiked" pedals are the slippery ones on the stock S22, then you need to spend more time practicing riding, seriously. There's no nicer way for me to say this but if you can't adjust your feet position while riding, you've got no business riding a wheel that goes faster than 40km/h. This is such a basic skill and spiked pedals absolutely do not hinder any competent rider from doing this. I also assume you've never learned how to sit ride either, because doing this requires a large shift in feet position and being comfortable in multiple positions. My advice to any new rider has always to get competent with the stock equipment first before going down the massive rabbit hole of shopping for customizations. Often times beginners don't realize what they are changing on their wheels are actually detrimental to their learning progress and safety (I put spiked pedals in this category).

Yeah, and if you plan on doing this, you probably shouldn't be going faster than 15km/h. Something like a V5F/14D is perfect, no modifications required.

I don't think you've mastered stopping if you think pads and spiked pedals work against your ability to stop.

It's silly to think people who add custom pads are unable to ride without them. Sure there are some beginners who over-rely on pads, but most who get custom pads are doing it so they can accelerate and stop faster. Anyone can ride without pads, they just need to go slower. 

thank u for ur expert advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conecones said:

It's rideable without pads, just like any wheel is rideable without pads.

This is a very misleading statement. It is hard to believe that you have ridden the V13 without pads if you say that. How are you going to stop? I think your definition of rideable is not universally shared.

In any case, he will find out soon enough.

22 minutes ago, techyiam said:

This is a very misleading statement. It is hard to believe that you have ridden the V13 without pads if you say that. How are you going to stop? I think your definition of rideable is not universally shared.

In any case, he will find out soon enough.

technically rideable =/= riding it well :efee47c9c8:. It's going to rely a lot on dealing with crazy pedal dipping but that's not to say its not possible to ride decently with a lot of practice. There's a few people riding pad-less sherman on soft mode in NYC. Totally not recommended to most people of course and the V13 is even harder in this aspect.

On 2/27/2023 at 12:58 PM, novazeus said:

so i have s22 pads that are worthless to me, v13 pads ditto, a knobby take off from the v13 because neltrek is installing the michelin street pilot 2 on mine, and probably a take off knobby from the s22 and also a jiluer tire that's going in the garbage where it belongs after i put the michelin on it. 

You aren't the only one! A lot of riders ignore the factory pads to put on their preferred pads (Clark, Grizzla, Kinetic, etc) so they end up with unused pads lying around. The same with pedals, I've changed the pedals on each of my EUCs - I put Clark pedals on my RS and NyloNove pedals on my V12HT & Sherman S.

Unfortunately manufacturers get people complaining about their pedals and saying that they should put better ones on, then a large number of their customers take off those better pedals and put on ones that they like better.

No matter what the wheel comes with, many riders will choose to change to something else, I'm not sure what can be done there. Even with cars there are usually only limited options, commonly there are about 3 variations and a lot of enthusiasts will buy one and then customise it a lot. Same with motorcycles, you buy one and then spend a bunch of money on aftermarket farkles to make it into what you want it to be (that's what I did with my CRF1000L, I spent thousands on pannier rack & panniers, top box, crash bars, pedals, windscreen, heated grips, Rox Risers, etc.

• Like 1

just tube fed this calf and we did great. 

and i also just rode my stock s18, no pads and "sandpaper" pedals and my yoga mat modified s22. 

idk how i managed.

i always begin with the s18 so i don't get acclimated to it's speed, so i'm headed to my gate, and unbeknownst to me, there were a dozen cows hanging out in the trees on my last straightaway. they freak out when i'm on a wheel and they dashed out right in front of me, and without even a second thought, i stopped immediately because i didn't want them stampeding thru my fences on to the road. i was wearing van's skateboard hightops, if anybody knows what they are. thin sole about 1/4" thick with a waffle pattern. great for "sandpaper" pedals. not great in the snow down here. 

then for grins, i tried the s22 with the spikes, which means unless u lift ur foot straight up, it ain't moving. the s18 suspension is soooo much better than the stock s22. my feet were aching after riding it. the display is a waste of money too, btw. i do miss my quadrophonic speakers., however. and yeah, no problem riding it that way but with van's skateboard shoes, shitty suspension, my feet still ache.

but if ur a feet driving type of rider, on sandpaper pedals, van's can't be beat for connecting to the wheel. my feet are like my hands on a car's steering wheel. i honestly don't know how or why people thought using their legs was a good idea. 

different strokes for different folks, i guess. i've always question the sanity of humans living further north of me. tampa is as cold as i ever wanna be.75C46DCF-98FB-470E-86D2-DEA1B1639813.jpeg.c0a204315589f251011ef5fe79f9865d.jpeg090F180F-7276-4D54-9653-122F4CA60A4A.png.5a8023604e81e11feefd603aeac30827.pngC17464FE-A685-47D2-8027-306E6D048B1D.png.a8995c1523a4b6ae0c900ad2fe602f5d.png

I'm also riding 26mph without power pads. No issues doing the "sit-down" position while hard braking.. I normally ride everywhere around 20-22mph.

I personally don't see the need of power pads for those speeds.. Sure if you have bumpy road and are doing off-roading. Then i see the need for pads. Or if you are going much faster..

One point i was thinking about getting power pads. But as i like to move my feet around while riding. The pads would somewhat limit my movements. So at end i didn't get them. (My feet goes from pedal edge, to 1/3 feet over pedal edge sometimes. I like to ride 1/3 over the edge on long/straight roads.. You don't need to lean at all - wheel goes forwards by itself.) :D 

Yeah at start it was kinda "sketchy" to ride like that. But you get used to it. Only negatives is your braking power is reduced dramatically riding like that. And you may slip of the pedals, if aren't careful. 

Sometimes i move one feet more forwards, other feet backwards. Skateboard style.

Edited by Funky

haha,

if i wanted to ride seated and fast, i'd ride this instead. if ur intimidated by a 110 pound toy, don't ever attempt to ride a harley. head to daytona on the 3rd and see if u can balance 800 pounds.

2100B45F-51D1-4E02-917D-DF788937CDDD.jpeg.821d6250cd5a75cea8eb2083c10b5666.jpeg39F7A80D-1E4F-4626-AFF4-0CE9B6F1A720.jpeg.1a4daa27850882ee11101a939c5ae6ea.jpeg