Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

1 hour ago, bunny said:

Thanks for sharing! Is this batch 4 from ewheels? 

I'm a bit confused about the batch term. How can there already be a fourth batch when retailers don't have batch 1 in stock yet? I bought my Kingsong 18 XL about half a year after it was aviable and I received a batch 2 wheel. There was batch three again about half a year later. Each time there were significant improvements. Are the batches tiny today, or are we talking about different things?

4 minutes ago, Mossi said:

I'm a bit confused about the batch term. How can there already be a fourth batch when retailers don't have batch 1 in stock yet? I bought my Kingsong 18 XL about half a year after it was aviable and I received a batch 2 wheel. There was batch three again about half a year later. Each time there were significant improvements. Are the batches tiny today, or are we talking about different things?

in the states and canada it's already batch 4 production Sherman-S shipped currently to the retailers and shipping pre-orders soon 

Edited by bunny

1 hour ago, bunny said:

in the states and canada it's already batch 4 production Sherman-S shipped currently to the retailers and shipping pre-orders soon 

That explains it, I thought we were talking about the Patton. Have things changed at the SS over the course of the batches?

1 hour ago, Mossi said:

That explains it, I thought we were talking about the Patton. Have things changed at the SS over the course of the batches?

I just got a batch 4 SS. All the og parts, crappy adjustable pedals. Leperkim is sending out replacement parts sometime in July. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Nice video!

I do question using Loctite on the fine threaded aluminium battery casing, it's been a while since I learned it but there's a pretty big risk of ripping the threads on aluminium like that no?

14 minutes ago, Poker said:

Nice video!

I do question using Loctite on the fine threaded aluminium battery casing, it's been a while since I learned it but there's a pretty big risk of ripping the threads on aluminium like that no?

From what I can make out from the video, the shear failure of the one bolt was due to ductile fracture, and not brittle fracture. The bolt itself doesn't seem to be defective. 

Ride One showed that the other three bolts on the same side were grossly loose. Since the four bolts were not sufficiently tight, the shear loading wouldn't have been equally distributed across the 4 bolts. Additionally, the clamp halves themselves wouldn't be able to share some of load too. So it was possible that the bolt was overloaded. However, I am not ruling out that were the bolts were not properly sized, nor of sufficient strength, since insufficiently strong bolts can lead to self-loosening too.

In the video, it was also shown that four bolts had flat and lock washers (but no thread locking compound), to help resist self-loosening. If the bolts were originally tightened with sufficient tightening torque, would the loosening of the bolts have occurred? 

Riders are no longer just riding on bike paths and trails. They want to do stairs, drops and jumps. And the jumps include pump tracks, and are getting bigger too. 

If the tightening torque has already maxed out because of the aluminum alloy solid axle, one option is to use thread locking compound in conjunction with the lock washers.

Regarding the use of thread locking compound on fine threads, I don't see an issue if the bond has been broken first prior to loosening. The issues that I have seen have been people rounding out the head or breaking the bolt, unless the aluminium alloy base metal is weak to start with.

Mind you, it can take knowledge and experience to remove bolts without causing damage, and  even more so with permanent thread locking compounds. 

I agree with your conclusion about why the bolt on the axel was broken, i just assumed the axle was steel, hard to see from a video.

Unless I misheard they were talking about using Loctite on all the bolts on the battery casing, thats what I was referring to.

I'm just nitpicking here, no way I'm cancelling my patton order :D

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Poker said:

i just assumed the axle was steel, hard to see from a video.

Axle from the Sherman-S, which is basically the same as the one in the Patton. The photo below that shows a steel axle belonging to an Abrams. Also, for solid steel, the axle diameter is too large. That Abrams axle is already very stout.

monokoleso-veteran-sherman-s-103.jpg

Razbiraem-monokoleso-Veteran-Abrams-60.j

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Poker said:

Unless I misheard they were talking about using Loctite on all the bolts on the battery casing, thats what I was referring to.

In the video, I heard Ride One saying they were going to apply red loctite to grade 12.9 axle bolts as replacement. 

13 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I heard that too.  Red locktite seems like a mistake since it takes so much heat to get it to release.  I would think proper torque on the bolts with blue locktite applied would have been more appropriate.

+1

Unless these guys have the equipment and knowhow, it can be quite difficult to get enough thermal energy to heat up the red loctite to 250 C to soften the thermoplastic in the threadlocker to sufficiently weaken the bond.

I also would recommend using blue loctite first.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, carlitos said:

,... Not necessarily a problem of the Patton alone but of all wheels in general, I would dare to say.

well said by carlitos.

i interpret the instagram video as just a report of the results of doing something extreme to a device that has electronic boundaries.  this is not a surprising result or unexpected reaction of the electronics... its just another euc that currently,  alot of riders and owners/potential owners are obsessed with.  until another new euc hits the market...  currently,  im just blown away by the jumping antics of leahy and euc_girl..., damn....!!!  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, carlitos said:

For those who don't have IG, Adam is saying that he had a fully charged battery and did some hard braking which led to something on the board to fry.

It's a similar problem that other people have reported with their wheels being fully charged and going downhill. The regenerative break will try to charge the battery but if there battery is full, that excess of energy has to go somewhere, so either you fry the board, burn the batteries or cut the rider out to prevent damage to the wheel.

Not necessarily a problem of the Patton alone but of all wheels in general, I would dare to say.

My v11 tilts back and tells you to get off, if you go downhill on a full battery. Not sure how many of the inmotion models do this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

My v11 tilts back and tells you to get off, if you go downhill on a full battery. Not sure how many of the inmotion models do this.

My BEGODE T3 does that. It also have top speed tilt back. Features I didn't know Begode wheels would have. 

Either I drain some of the charge before hand or I ride down the hill super slow. Otherwise, it would tilt back more and more until I fall off. Actually, it is kind of dangerous, because it tries to prevent me from braking, but I am going this still steep hill. However, I consider this as my fault. 

It gets super sensitive should I make multiple passes of top balancing. Then the battery gets really fully charged.

• Like 1

isn't this the case for NOT charging your battery to 100% but rather to 80% or 90% ?  then you will have the remaining capacity of the packs to absorb any xtra charge generated by the braking...

16 minutes ago, techyiam said:

My BEGODE T3 does that. It also have top speed tilt back. Features I didn't know Begode wheels would have.

Do you mean that the tilt-back speed gets lower as the battery depletes? Traditionally GotWays/Begodes used to have a tilt-back, sure, but the highest speed you could set it at was 48km/h which was too low for a wheel that goes 80km/h ok. It’s also just a dumb limit, and doesn’t react to voltage, current, or anything really. So the rider still had to determine one’s own safety headrooms.

8 minutes ago, bpong said:

isn't this the case for NOT charging your battery to 100% but rather to 80% or 90% ?  then you will have the remaining capacity of the packs to absorb any xtra charge generated by the braking...

Yes, you would.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

Do you mean that the tilt-back speed gets lower as the battery depletes?

No. No dynamic tiltback. At least, I don't think so. The V12 has dynamic tilt back. 

The T3 beeps at 46 km/h, and tilts back at just over 50 km/h. But this is the part where it gets murky. I don't know if it is psychological or not, but I sensed that the tilt back occurs sooner going up an incline than travelling on level ground. I know it has tilt back now since I experienced it. But I also thought it was "dumb". 

I don't intentionally ride close to the edge and risk a cutout. So I am not in a hurry to deliberately ride to tilt back to find out for sure. :)

• Upvote 1

The patton at my local store suspension is leaking. Its been abused quite a bit though. This is the 66lbs variant so maybe for jumps, the higher weight is a must. There should be a 68lbs version coming next batch. I don't think the suspension has been bottomed out much if at all but it's still leaking

D950E244-1E8F-45A8-B482-91EEB16BAB6B.jpeg

C5F12BC4-41E4-4EB4-9987-3C74F3B0D7A1.jpeg

• Sad 2

58 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

The patton at my local store suspension is leaking. Its been abused quite a bit though. This is the 66lbs variant so maybe for jumps, the higher weight is a must. There should be a 68lbs version coming next batch. I don't think the suspension has been bottomed out much if at all but it's still leaking

Happened to my friend as well, my personal guess is it's not from jumping but from faulty seal from factory or poor QC.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cobaltsaber said:

May be worth checking to make sure the top of the suspension is torqued properly.  A YouTuber had a leaking suspension recently and it wasn't the seal. 

https://youtu.be/kKGZUq3LJas

Edited by Rollin-on-1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

Adam WW just fried something on his Patton motherboard: tldr hard braking @100% battery

https://instagram.com/stories/mr_wrongway/3119030538378447971?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Bugger - I live on top of a steep hill. I love riding down it for the challenge. I do a 100% charge every 2nd time to balance the cells. 

I have a similar problem with mtb; cold steep downhill to start the ride, steep hard climb to finish the ride on when I'm hot and tired.

22 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

May be worth checking to make sure the top of the suspension is torqued properly.  A YouTuber had a leaking suspension recently and it wasn't the seal. 

https://youtu.be/kKGZUq3LJas

Does anybody know if it is possible to check that "the top of the suspension is torqued properly" without dismounting or opening up the wheel?

1 hour ago, carlitos said:

Does anybody know if it is possible to check that "the top of the suspension is torqued properly" without dismounting or opening up the wheel?

I believe you can, but this needs to be confirmed when someone gets their hands on one.  I recall seeing someone unintentionally loosen the top on the Sherman-S suspension when attempting to adjust preload. I think that means it will be possible on the Patton.  I'm not sure if it runs the risk of damaging the rubber boot that holds the top of the suspension in the top plate though.  

I plan to disassemble everything when I get mine, because we have seen motor bolts make it past QC without proper torque as well.  

Edited by Rollin-on-1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1