Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

1 hour ago, Jon Wall said:

I'm sure the Patton will ride quite nicely when setup correctly.  It really is surprising how many with a camera and or platform have no clue on how to set suspension up.

Countless suspension setup videos showing how to set mtb or motorcycle sag first then rebound/compression and why.   

I read people say the Sherman suspension (inverted cartridge fork)  can't be upgraded.  That's just nonsense.  The valve stacks can be changed or shuffled, oil weight can be changed, bleeds can be increased. And thats if the adjusters aren't getting the results you are after.

Just like a any other oil dampened fork can go from ok to very good with small tuning 

My Sherman s was comfortable out of the box.  But after tuning, it's an absolute Cadillac 

could you describe exactly your steps in tuning it? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jon Wall said:

I'm sure the Patton will ride quite nicely when setup correctly.  It really is surprising how many with a camera and or platform have no clue on how to set suspension up.

Countless suspension setup videos showing how to set mtb or motorcycle sag first then rebound/compression and why.   

I read people say the Sherman suspension (inverted cartridge fork)  can't be upgraded.  That's just nonsense.  The valve stacks can be changed or shuffled, oil weight can be changed, bleeds can be increased. And thats if the adjusters aren't getting the results you are after.

Just like a any other oil dampened fork can go from ok to very good with small tuning 

My Sherman s was comfortable out of the box.  But after tuning, it's an absolute Cadillac 

I'm curious now about the extra tuning possibilities.

What do you call exactly this kind of suspension? Then I can try to find something in YouTube in that direction. Or if you already know of such videos it'd be great if you could share them 🙏🏾

Just now, carlitos said:

Then I can try to find something in YouTube in that direction.

22 hours ago, stizl said:

Great video link! Agreed that the suspension will be a focus for mods on what otherwise appears to be a great wheel. 

I’ve built my share of shim stacks for road/track and MX bikes. The range of tuning possibilities is nearly limitless, but getting it “right” for a given set of riding conditions can be difficult and each attempt can cost you hours, not counting the additional disassembly time of an EUC vs a moto fork. Still, if you have the time and patience, then changing the compression valving could certainly improve the Patton’s performance. I think the low-hanging fruit here, however, is changing the spring to a progressive type. 

The forks-type suspensions on the Patton and SS typically come with a linear-rate spring, which utilize more of their travel (under similar riding conditions) compared to progressive suspensions such as the linkage-types found on other wheels (S22, etc.). This contributes to the plush ride of the Patton/SS, but also makes it more prone to bottoming out. 

If we replace the (I’m assuming) linear-rate springs with progressive springs, we can retain the supple small bump compliance at the top of the stroke with more support mid-stroke and much better bottom-out resistance. It will also increase the vertical boost off of jump lips, whereas a better valved compression setup will decrease this, by design. 

Progressive springs should be relatively inexpensive and essentially drop-in components once sourced and with the suspension opened up, of course. 

Example of linear vs progressive rate springs:

5FD7F547-A2AC-42E4-873F-C8FF7109BF82.jpeg

That spring scale on the right is wrong. The closer the coils the softer the rate with the same gage wire. You have it backwards and we are now dumbererer for have seen it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jon Wall said:

That spring scale on the right is wrong. The closer the coils the softer the rate with the same gage wire. You have it backwards and we are now dumbererer for have seen it

A progressive spring has the coils close enough to touch each other (bottom out). As the spring  compresses and more and more coils touch, the stiffer the remaining coils are. That’s what makes it progressive.

But I guess you could see them being backwards from top to bottom.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jon Wall said:

Ha, yes, the drawing is not perfect. You forgot to mention that springs don’t behave as mathematical step functions either (well, except multi-rate springs…another subject entirely).

I chose that image from the many others available online because it offers a concise approximation of the differences between linear and progressive spring forces and does so roughly in the same travel and rate range that would suit the Patton.  I figured that the image could help show those that aren’t familiar with progressive springs how they work, but of course, you can’t please ‘em all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Flygonial said:

I do not sell these pads, I have released them and the source files for free

Thanks for sharing these.  They look good, and I especially like the high-contact-area jump pad that also doesn't protrude too far.  Nice work!

5 hours ago, Flygonial said:

At that price point, those pads are an attractive buy even for wheels other than the Patton.

I agree completely.  These cost less than half of what I paid for a set of Grizzlas and arrived in a fraction of the time.  Hopefully, the glowing inserts stay put when dropped, unlike the Grizzla reflectors.  Don't get me wrong though, I still love the Grizzlas.  The inserts on the Patton pads are a much harder material than the rest of the pads, but still feel flexible enough that they shouldn't crack on impacts and may even protect the softer part from too much road rash in worse cases. 

For reference, I have staged photos of them next to both the standard and the "Big" Grizzlas.  The Patton acceleration pads are about the same size as the "Big"s, but protrude a bit less, especially the toe pads (which also have large velcro contact area).  The Patton braking pads are closer to the standard Grizzlas, which makes for a decent pairing IMO.   

Yes, I am aware that the braking pads are upside-down in the photos.  The top side of the V12 is unfortunately not the most convenient for high pad placement, and they work better upside-down for me.

IMG_5212b.jpg

IMG_5213b.jpg

Edited by stizl
  • Upvote 3

My friend with a 62lb Sherman S was bottoming out only when jumping, he couldn't hear it but I could hear it when standing close by, 6 clicks on dampening (this of course will be individual) solved it no more bottom out.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, stizl said:

I ordered these for $99 from AliExpress after seeing that Leaperkim wouldn’t be shipping with pads but before eWheels announced that they would include pads. They just arrived on the 10th day after ordering, which was much faster than advertised. 

If only you posted this like 24h earlier LOL... I was checking out the similar ones from Alli and in the end I decided just to order a classic pair from grizzla. Got a memo that it might take up to 20 days to complete my order.. These look quite good.

6 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Interesting to hear his weight, and suspension impressions. Even compared to the sherman s

He hasn't tried the 66lb though. I wouldn't put too much weight on this particular data point. I think it would be a mistake for him to get the 62lb.  I am certain if he does it will be leaking in no time.  I think if he tried a 66lb he would find it plenty cushy and with less frequent bottoming out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

He hasn't tried the 66lb though. I wouldn't put too much weight on this particular data point. I think it would be a mistake for him to get the 62lb.  I am certain if he does it will be leaking in no time.  I think if he tried a 66lb he would find it plenty cushy and with less frequent bottoming out.

Wait, does bottoming out cause the shocks to leak? And if so, can anyone explain how that happens?

Anyways, leaking shocks are also an issue with the Sherman S but that is definitely caused by faulty shocks. I heard from someone whose Sherman S began to leak after less than 100 km. I really hope LeaperKim got that sorted out.

4 minutes ago, Al Alcatraz said:

Wait, does bottoming out cause the shocks to leak? And if so, can anyone explain how that happens?

Anyways, leaking shocks are also an issue with the Sherman S but that is definitely caused by faulty shocks. I heard from someone whose Sherman S began to leak after less than 100 km. I really hope LeaperKim got that sorted out.

I think heavy amounts of bottoming out can damage seals and things. I also think there was a batch of faulty shocks on the initial runs of sherman s. So it can be either.

Either way,  I don't think bottoming out super hard is good for the shocks. 

From what I understand you actually want some bottoming out, it shows you are using the most of your action. But it should be minimal not frequent. 

• Like 2

We don't know what causes leaks we can only speculate, however fastace's own user manual says bottom out is bad and can cause leakage.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1