Taking a chance on Ninebot Z10

samzed

After hearing about how everybody loved their Z10 so much, and seeing the quality build of the transport, and realized that other brands have a sever lack of quality control too; if I remember correctly something like 10% to 20% failure rate of boards and batteries, and would never have been qualified for the warranty anyway due to crashing too much, I decided to take a chance on the Z10. I bought it on Amazon for 1599$ plus tax was like 1700$. I was taking a big chance, however, the seller did seem legit as they had several hundred successful transactions of PEV's, granted non euc transactions, they only had 2 other Z10 transactions.

I was really wanting a King Song 18XL, since I already had a great King Song wheel, and everybody seems to put alot of kilometers on their 18XLs, but I just didn't have the money since they are over 2000$. And I really wanted I good Z10 anyway, I was just afraid because of all the negative feedback on this board. On youtube there is a lot of positive feedback. So I received my Z10 really fast, something like 4 days. The build quality on the Z10 is superior to my other 2 euc buys. So I went on my first ride, no problems, then my second ride: tons of beeping if I went over like 1km per hour of hit or hit a small bump. Oh no, I thought, but as it turned out it was only beeping at me because I was in beginner mode. Once I put it in sports mode, no more beeping. Shew! I am having a fantastic time on this wheel, though, I only have just over 50km. I'll keep you guys posted about my experiences with the Z10 now that it is a mature wheel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure. I was hoping 2022. There was no copyright on the instructions, which were extremely professional. As was the app and the activation process. How do I find out out for sure? I know at least one of the Amazon sellers are claiming 2022 manufacture dates on this wheel. My z10 came in brand new looking packaging wrapped in plastic and the little boxes inside appeared to never have been opened. The wheel appeared to be charged up half way. If it were a 2018 wheel, the battery would likely have been DOA. Also the instructions claimed there was a battery protector installed and that there would be no warranty replacement for DOA batteries.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you buy your Z10?  Maybe I can reach out to your vendor to have a new motherboard for mine and ask them if they can activate it afterwards.

Love the Z10. Fantastic wheel like no others. Very sportive ride, since you have to lean a lot to make it turn at speed.

Fun and reliable, but a bit unsafe to ride over 40kmh

Have fun!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

z10 is such a neat wheel with a fat tire and cool sounds effects I would buy one if it had a legit warranty 100%! Segway usually wont offer support if the dealer is unauthorized in your location so that's the only reason it's not really on my radar

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 5:11 AM, Eric plam said:

Love the Z10. Fantastic wheel like no others. Very sportive ride, since you have to lean a lot to make it turn at speed.

Maybe more effort, but due to the 4 inch wide tire, it needs to be tilted less than other EUCs with thinner tires. Wrong Way made a video about tires and turning. I set the link to a video clip with the Z10 in the middle, with the Z10 tilted much less than the other EUCs in that clip (his lean angle is about the same, since that's due to centrifugal reaction force to lateral acceleration):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsXW4OKnmWc&t=314s

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, novazeus said:

i loved the wheel but the battery drain thing was a nuisance.

My understanding (and I could well be wrong!) is the drain is because the BMS is always on (first 'smart' one BTW), and kind of worse yet, it's only connected to 1 of the packs. So the BMS will drain 1 pack if you're not charging it regularly, like monthly.

• Like 1

I doubt if the latest models have changed anything re the 'always on' BMS, I suspect it's a safety feature and Ninebot are pretty cautious, so I doubt they have dropped the feature.

But yes it's pretty annoying too. I still have my Z10 and my usual routine is to keep an eye on it every month. When it drops to 2 bars, full charge it and go for a spirited 5 mile ride. That normally drops it to about 80% at which point it goes back to storage. Next time I will do a partial charge to around 80% then again keep an eye on it back to 2 bars. Next time a full charge and ride and just keep swopping between the two so it gets fully balanced every other charge.

It wouldn't be such a pain if it was ridden regularly but it's primarily my daughters wheel so it's only properly ridden for about 5 months every year. But I can live with the drain if, as I suspect, it's a safety monitoring feature. It's certainly without doubt the most re-assuring wheel I have had where I have zero concerns of it spontaneously combusting.

In answer to @Tawpie's comment, I'm not sure the drain is for only one pack, do you know where you heard this? I'm 99.9% sure all packs/cells drain at the same rate, would be a nightmare to balance otherwise!

• Like 2

i'm not smart but i was thinking it was for safety. like u said, if it were ur only wheel, nbd, but if u have three and don't use them regularly, eventually the z10 will get missed and go flat.

i kept up with mine for years.

i don't need it now, but i'll keep an eye on alibaba because $1000 is to hard to resist, even though it's too heavy. there were also z6's for $800.

i'll never be going over 6 miles in total trip and most would be a mile.

and 12-15 mph suits me fine. i have too many animals depending on me for me to be stupid now.i

3 minutes ago, Chriull said:

The reason and a solution against the drain was posted in 

haha, thanks so much. why i love this forum.

my first real gig in life was 5 years at diebold. they dominated the security systems for banks worldwide. that was 1974 and i was surrounded by electronic genuises always. i tried to learn as much as i needed.

but i'll probably skip the fix. and i gotta go back and find the reason for the vampire drain. if it is safer, i'll just stay on top of it.

if i get one. love the wheel, just in my present environment, a bit too much to carry up a ladder and down a ladder on the other side of our compound.

outside storage on my road with hvac and electricity. course if i had that, i'd move in it too.

i mean, i haven't been around, was the z10 being bad, liking mysterious cutouts?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, litewave said:

Welcome back, brother! YOU WERE MSSED! :thumbup:

thanks brother!

how's ur z10 holding up?

i never really got the chance to really explore mine completely, life and stuff.

then went dead and too lazy to fix it, plus not needing to ride. 

Bob at 165 pounds will never be safe to be on leash while on a euc.

if he saw a coyote on our walks, he could probably jerk me down to the ground wearing sneakers. he's got four wheel drive with claws.

glad to see u still around.

• Like 1

Thanks! Too many greybeards have left or gone silent. Hope you can keep posting or popping in from time to time. Maybe we should create a greybeards thread?

As for my Z, same issues as most people. I still love the beast, and wish Ninebot would return to the market with a modern successor or descendant to/of the Z with suspension (wouldn't that be cool?). Maybe @Kuji Rolls can convince them?

Btw, your old E+ served me well for many years and many thousands of miles. I wore out the motor in my original E+ so it became my daily driver and backup wheel for a few years.

For now, I'm trying to fit a larger Pirelli to my Z10, but have had limited time and energy to do so. I have the tire and have disassembled the wheel, so it's my holiday project. Will start a thread when I eventually succeed or fail.

I'm also researching the @palachzzz battery 21700 upgrade to 84v as a possible foolish project for next year. I reached out to @palachzzz but he seems to have gone silent. :wacko: I almost bought the S22 but am now on the list for the new upgraded version. I still don't have a suspension wheel so I'm missing out on the fun that you are having.

Really hope you can start a new thread and post some new photos of you (on or off the wheel), with Bob and your wheels in the Ninebot forum.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

i was curious about how the e+ was doing.

i was so new, it seemed bizarre to me.

it would go faster than the specs, sometimes.

yeah, i'll wait out any suspension wheels until i'm better situated on the ranch and give the euc guinea pigs, us, a more time to hurt ourselves. plus, i seriously doubt i could traverse my pastures without technical riding, like one track.

one big cow turd could make u faceplant.

the z10 wouldn't be my go to wheel, i don't think, for going off property.

i did do a little demonstration on it for a real estate broker and prospect after we had lunch. cause the z10 was is so cool looking. they were impressed. they are totally ignorant of good euc riding.

my interpretation of good euc riding is not falling and not dropping the wheel. i did accomplish that circling the restaurant for my demonstration.

but i did learn about what i had to learn on motorcycles. roads are built for at least 4 wheels. they don't care about motorcycles, and i'm sure because there's no tax revenue or insurance, they'll assuredly be trying to ban them worldwide.

brand new type iii asphalt and storm drains in the middle of the parking lot roadways, woo woo, on my beachball z10 i believe my sphincter tightened a bit.

so i started a chat with ethan zhu, which could be the guy i bought my ks18 from.

have u heard what it's costing to get them into the country now?

basically my question to him,.

with the cost of these new wheels being so high, the z10 seems to be a steal at $1000, even if u have to check the battery daily. once every two weeks sb fine.

but if i get another one, two bars down, it goes on charger. did that for years.

haha, maybe i'll video my relearning this mten4 between my 2x4's if need be.

i don't mind running off, i'm just gentler than most with their wheels.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

the seller on alibaba has the z6 at $760.

$150 is probably the freight and customs.

so is the usa collecting sales tax from alibaba now?

I thought Alibaba was for MOQ (minimum order quantity) wholesale transactions.

Aliexpress does collect state sales tax on transactions with buyers in the US. Whether they actually send the money to the state is another question ....

• Like 1