What I'd like to see ...

mike_bike_kite

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Other than the tire size, the T4 does what you ask for (safety shmafety, there were never any problems with this type of Begode batteries, so just live with reality instead of dreaming of nonexisting wheels;)).

Nah thanks.. I don't buy dumpster fires.

Also little bit to heavy for 16".

Edited by Funky

This is exactly what I've been nagging about as well. Mid and light weight sectors have gotten no new wheels except the V12 in two full years. In my opinion the manufacturers are chasing the wrong ball at the moment. I do see that there's a need for the fast and heavy wheels as well, but it shouldn't be the only category being developed.

As much as I too despise GW/BG, it looks like they might be steering the markets in the right direction with the T4. KS has already hinted about an S16, and Inmotion already got the top of the crops with the V13, so they'll surely focus on a 16/18" wheel next as well. I guess all we have to do is wait a year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

But, with the S18, Kingsong are almost there. It's got the looks, the suspension, the price is acceptable but the battery is just too small. I'd be happy staying with 84v if it offers the same speed as the 18XL. I ride a Begode Nikola+ at the moment (and love the wheel) but the rear light is appalling and I always have that nagging fear that the wheel might burst into flames while I'm sleeping. I'll admit the T4 looks very close to my ideal wheel but it doesn't get rid of the nagging fear.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

But, with the S18, Kingsong are almost there. It's got the looks, the suspension, the price is acceptable but the battery is just too small. I'd be happy staying with 84v if it offers the same speed as the 18XL. I ride a Begode Nikola+ at the moment (and love the wheel) but the rear light is appalling and I always have that nagging fear that the wheel might burst into flames while I'm sleeping. I'll admit the T4 looks very close to my ideal wheel but it doesn't get rid of the nagging fear.  

Not to mention no rubber gaskets or anything, to prevent water from entering the wheel.

As someone who rides in rain and snow, i need the water protection most. I would change all the wheel speed/range for good protected/built wheel. So called "workhorse" of a wheel. Which is built like a tank. (That's why i don't even want suspension, as it's another moving part that can break..) Doh having it would still be okay, if wheel - again is built RIGHT!!!

39 minutes ago, plentora said:

Unlockable 25km/h speed limit and 1000W maximum power 18" wheel to increase legislation chances.

Even under 20kg wheels can go 32km/h speeds or more. 25km/h is simply to slow... (You need to take into mind also some safety margin - you won't be riding at "max" speed all the time.) 1000W also is kinda low.. Good old ks16s can do 1200W and 18xl 2200W.

If you wanna go 25km/h you would need at least 30km/h wheel.

People who wanna go 25mph 30-35mph wheel would be the best.

Edited by Funky

5 hours ago, Funky said:

Even under 20kg wheels can go 32km/h speeds or more. 25km/h is simply to slow... (You need to take into mind also some safety margin - you won't be riding at "max" speed all the time.) 1000W also is kinda low.. Good old ks16s can do 1200W and 18xl 2200W.

If you wanna go 25km/h you would need at least 30km/h wheel.

People who wanna go 25mph 30-35mph wheel would be the best.

Good luck getting these things legal..

1 hour ago, plentora said:

Good luck getting these things legal..

Yeah when laws will be made, i bet it will be the same as E-cooters 25km/h max allowed speed. Till ten i will go 30-40km/h. And even if laws are made, i don't ever see police.. So i would continue ride as i have been.

And when laws are made i can bet my left nut, that euc won't be allowed to ride with cars. But i already don't ride with cars. :D

I personally don't care if they are legal or not - i will continue to ride. Luckily in my country there are no laws still. But if it would change some day. I would not care what some slobs thought up new laws/rules.

Been riding 1 year and for sure i would not stop, because some idiot in power.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Funky said:

I personally don't care if they are legal or not - i will continue to ride. Luckily in my country there are no laws still. But if it would change some day. I would not care what some slobs thought up new laws/rules.

You say that but my guess is you would begin to care if they start to enforce the law. Here in the UK it's illegal to ride EUC's or e-scooters etc on anything other than private land. The problem, if we're stopped by the police, is that the wheel gets impounded + we get fined + we get 6 points on our license. That last bit is important because if we have any points on our license then our insurance costs sky rockets and, if we get 12 points, we lose our driving license and can't drive at all. The police state that we're driving a motor vehicle without insurance so they've made all these types of vehicle illegal. Sadly you can't get insurance because the insurance companies don't offer insurance on illegal vehicles. It's Catch 22. 

I tend to keep to quieter roads if I can, I ride very defensively, I signal turns, stop for red lights and pedestrian crossings etc then just hope for the best. 

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

You say that but my guess is you would begin to care if they start to enforce the law. Here in the UK it's illegal to ride EUC's or e-scooters etc on anything other than private land. The problem, if we're stopped by the police, is that the wheel gets impounded + we get fined + we get 6 points on our license. That last bit is important because if we have any points on our license then our insurance costs sky rockets and, if we get 12 points, we lose our driving license and can't drive at all. The police state that we're driving a motor vehicle without insurance so they've made all these types of vehicle illegal. Sadly you can't get insurance because the insurance companies don't offer insurance on illegal vehicles. It's Catch 22. 

I tend to keep to quieter roads if I can, I ride very defensively, I signal turns, stop for red lights and pedestrian crossings etc then just hope for the best. 

Get insurance in different country? Can't be done? Simply don't stop then.. Or turn around if you see the police.

And i don't ever see police.. We are living in very small city, so there isn't really a police presence at all. I see them maybe once or twice a year.. That's why i would not care is laws changed.

One i can say that there are very many E-scooters in our country. In big city there almost 1 rental sitting on each house corner. So i don't see them going away. Meaning EUC won't go anywhere also.

Even in our small city i see them daily many users. (Personal owned ones - there aren't rentals in our city.) Euc still are very, very rare.

Edited by Funky

7 hours ago, Funky said:

Get insurance in different country? Can't be done? Simply don't stop then.. Or turn around if you see the police.

And i don't ever see police.. We are living in very small city, so there isn't really a police presence at all. I see them maybe once or twice a year.. That's why i would not care is laws changed.

One i can say that there are very many E-scooters in our country. In big city there almost 1 rental sitting on each house corner. So i don't see them going away. Meaning EUC won't go anywhere also.

Even in our small city i see them daily many users. (Personal owned ones - there aren't rentals in our city.) Euc still are very, very rare.

The difference is E-Scooters are street legal. Nobody is arguing EUC are going to go away.

I repeat my wish; release EUC that _COULD_ be legal. One step to make EUCs also legal.

Edited by plentora

4 hours ago, plentora said:

The difference is E-Scooters are street legal. Nobody is arguing EUC are going to go away.

I repeat my wish; release EUC that _COULD_ be legal. One step to make EUCs also legal.

I was saying that to Mike. About UK where E-scooters are also illegal. 

Yeah most countries E-scooters are already legal. So over time EUC should become a norm also. ~5 years ago we didn't have these "E" pevs at all. (At least i never saw one.) Recently we have had "big" growth in pevs. Because of all the rentals and what not. I bet in next 5 years EUCS also will have laws made.

Consumerism is like a drug when it comes to EUC with prices jacked up to the max. Don't get me wrong I think they're worth it in a lot of ways but when cheap plastic and metal parts break off on my personal wheel almost like a toy I get really annoyed... I'm more into talking about how to design and make them right here in US / Canada

On 8/21/2022 at 8:03 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

If the S18 ticks every single box for you apart from range, I would seriously consider speaking to Erides/Kevin and finding out if he would be prepared to do you a 2200Wh conversion, the same as Kev did on his own S18.

On 8/21/2022 at 10:03 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

But, with the S18, Kingsong are almost there. It's got the looks, the suspension, the price is acceptable but the battery is just too small. I'd be happy staying with 84v if it offers the same speed as the 18XL.

Have you heard about the inmotion V11? :D 

Jokes aside, the S18v2 is arriving in September. It seems a minor motor update -- it will be a hollow motor, that's as much as ecodrift was able (and willing) to tell me. I have previously seen in some technical telegram channel that they already tried a prototype of the new motor and iirc it's ~1kg lighter! That would be an impressive weight loss. If they could also slightly redesign the shell to naturally hold an XL amount of battery that would be great. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:30 PM, plentora said:

Unlockable 25km/h speed limit and 1000W maximum power 18" wheel to increase legislation chances.

I agree it would be sensible to have an initial low max speed. It costs nothing for manufacturers to do this. Then the wheel could unlock higher speeds when you ride for a kilometre at the current max speed. Having a 1000W limit on the motor wouldn't be good for safety, especially on an 18" wheel, but I can understand your suggestion.

10 hours ago, plentora said:

The difference is E-Scooters are street legal.

E-scooters are only legal in some countries in Europe and often only went they're rented from an authorised company that offers insurance for the rider.

5 hours ago, ElectronxCycles said:

I'm more into talking about how to design and make them right here in US / Canada

Shane Chen, a Chinese guy who moved to the US, designed them but his company Solowheel went under. I understand he now just sues companies that try to make copies of his wheel. Ironically the wheels are now made in China where they don't care too much about copyright. I'm not sure how long his copyright runs for but hopefully it will run out soon and allow other countries with better engineering and better approaches to safety will improve things.

5 hours ago, yoos said:

Have you heard about the inmotion V11? :D 

Jokes aside, the S18v2 is arriving in September. It seems a minor motor update -- it will be a hollow motor, that's as much as ecodrift was able (and willing) to tell me. I have previously seen in some technical telegram channel that they already tried a prototype of the new motor and iirc it's ~1kg lighter! That would be an impressive weight loss. If they could also slightly redesign the shell to naturally hold an XL amount of battery that would be great. 

I'm not keen on the V11 as I don't like their approach to suspension, the design is also a little too fragile for me but mostly because it looks too much like a vehicle which will stop me wheeling it round my local supermarket and into coffee shops. I do like the lighting on it though.

I'd certainly like to see the S18v2 but I can't see why they'd change it to a hollow motor. Why fix a problem that doesn't exist? It's the battery size that's glaringly wrong.