EUC designs wanted - what do you want your EUC to look like?

360rumors

18 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe EUC with jetpacks on either side....

Amazing

Jun 21, 2022
5eCFLYHmH58227py8RL7NU3v1hBkrI4PnCIGrNQJ

4.25K subscribers

Fuck EUC who need it - if you got jetpack.. :D Do you plan still riding or flying?

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks aren't so important to me. Sure I don't want to look like i'm riding a piece of carry-on luggage so looks are not completely ignored.  But performance and features are more important. I'd ride a square, luggage looking EUC if it had easily remove/replace battery packs. We could start shipping our batteries while checking the wheel on a plane. Then who cares then what it looks like?

I couldn't care less about aesthetics, but functionally, I would say most manufacturers are on the right track. Double or quad packs on the sides, board on the top, suspension to the rear where applicable. If I could improve a few things, I'd probably take a master, redo the suspension such that it is more progressive (like an S18/S20), and then perhaps increase the battery size a little bit more. Granted, increasing pack size on the master's layout would entail using cells that are vertical within the packs rather than horizontal. I don't know what sort of issues this could introduce. Right now, I don't have very many complaints about the wheels that are on the market. By and large, the new stuff on the market meets my expectations for performance and function, or to the very least, they do not have massive flaws that I can't otherwise work around.

Does anyone think suspension would work better if it were in the front of the EUC vice the rear? I think it would look strange but more functional perhaps because most of the force from a bump is in the front. Or combination of both?

Edited by UtahRider

56 minutes ago, UtahRider said:

Does anyone think suspension would work better if it were in the front of the EUC vice the rear?

The suspension is for up and down and the linkage on everything except the EX and V11 translates the motion to a more horizontal plane for compactness. I wouldn't think the location of the shock would make a difference other than changing the balance point of the wheel. Which as WW pointed out, can be a good thing. I would think battery placement is going to affect the balance point more than some aluminum links and a shock.

3 hours ago, UtahRider said:

Does anyone think suspension would work better if it were in the front of the EUC vice the rear?

I think it would be more prone to damage if it was at the front. It would also be dangerous to pedestrians if you accidentally hit someone.

8 hours ago, AngryJackPCB said:

I'd ride a square, luggage looking EUC ...

I actually prefer the luggage look. If my wheel looks like a motorbike then it won't be allowed into coffee shops, supermarkets and work places. If I had to leave it outside then it looses nearly all it's functionality to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UtahRider said:

Does anyone think suspension would work better if it were in the front of the EUC vice the rear? I think it would look strange but more functional perhaps because most of the force from a bump is in the front. Or combination of both?

When I did my LEGO prototype, I tried front/rear shock absorbers combination. Found myself unsatisfied with the result and finally, installed just rear. 🤷‍♂️

LEGO_Suspension_02.png

The circular shape is a durable design. However if you want to pack a ton of range you need square space.

Still I'd try to avoid having corners that poke out. I'd prefer if it didn't look like a terrain vehicle so I can bring it inside places.

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

An EUC in the style of a classic yoyo?

The older designs look kinda like yoyos I think...aka like toys. The newer models look more like serious vehicles. I think the Ninebot Z series balances the two aspects, round but not too round. I can't believe that thing came out in 2017, wish Ninebot or other companies followed that.

Also, just thinking out of the box here, what about putting the battery pack on top or front and back (as opposed to the latest suspension wheels, multipacks left and right)? 

Both result in a slimmer profile, top mounted battery packs could also potentially be easier to change, and naturally also a higher wheel for more comfortable seating. 

Front and back battery packs...I don't know what it could mean.

Both would shift the center of gravity tho, I'm still a newbie and don't know how each would change the riding experience. Love to hear some thoughts.

Side to side positioning of the heavy battery packs might be a more stable configuration.

Might be counter balancing each other in the turns.

Perhaps think of an extreme case where the battery packs weight 200 kg, and are positioned front/back of wheel.

In a turn, it might be difficult to bring it back upright.

The EUC is self balancing front/back.

The lateral left/right balancing is not self balancing.....although the momentum of the wheel does contribute to it at speed.

3 hours ago, sunstrong said:

what about putting the battery pack on top or front and back (as opposed to the latest suspension wheels, multipacks left and right)?

"Top" heavy means the wheel will want to tip over on its side... generally that's less stable and more of a pain in the back to get the wheel stood up. I'd be worried about 'too much lean at too low speed' causing the wheel to just want to flop over... it already happens to me with the TR1 on my S18. When your lean transitions to the outside set of knobs, the wheel wants to suddenly dip to the side. Requires relearning tight turns (or not making as many!)

6 hours ago, sunstrong said:

The older designs look kinda like yoyos I think...aka like toys. The newer models look more like serious vehicles. I think the Ninebot Z series balances the two aspects, round but not too round. I can't believe that thing came out in 2017, wish Ninebot or other companies followed that.

Also, just thinking out of the box here, what about putting the battery pack on top or front and back (as opposed to the latest suspension wheels, multipacks left and right)? 

Both result in a slimmer profile, top mounted battery packs could also potentially be easier to change, and naturally also a higher wheel for more comfortable seating. 

Front and back battery packs...I don't know what it could mean.

Both would shift the center of gravity tho, I'm still a newbie and don't know how each would change the riding experience. Love to hear some thoughts.

The nice thing about circles is that they roll and don't damage themselves in a crash. The square serious vehicle ones tend to destroy all the corners in a crash. Looking like a serious vehicle limits where I could actually use the wheel - it's all right if you're leaving your garage riding for 20 miles and then returning to your garage but, if you're planning on going into a restaurant or office then the wheel will most likely have to stay outside. I'm also not sure how many springs and sharp edges you have to add to an electric unicycle for anyone to take it seriously - I think we're firmly fixed in the "clown car" category of people's imaginations.

The V10 and V10F have the battery at the top but I don't think it's easier to change the battery on them. Saying that, there is a food courier on here who used to use a V8F and would swap out his used battery for a charged one mid day. Apart from him I don't think many of us would want to change batteries - by the time the battery is worn out most people would be lusting after a new wheel. You could also look at the old Kingsong 18S which was slim and tall making it easy to sit on - unfortunately it was nowhere near as popular as the circular 18XL which came after it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

The nice thing about circles is that they roll and don't damage themselves in a crash. The square serious vehicle ones tend to destroy all the corners in a crash. Looking like a serious vehicle limits where I could actually use the wheel - it's all right if you're leaving your garage riding for 20 miles and then returning to your garage but, if you're planning on going into a restaurant or office then the wheel will most likely have to stay outside. I'm also not sure how many springs and sharp edges you have to add to an electric unicycle for anyone to take it seriously - I think we're firmly fixed in the "clown car" category of people's imaginations.

The V10 and V10F have the battery at the top but I don't think it's easier to change the battery on them. Saying that, there is a food courier on here who used to use a V8F and would swap out his used battery for a charged one mid day. Apart from him I don't think many of us would want to change batteries - by the time the battery is worn out most people would be lusting after a new wheel. You could also look at the old Kingsong 18S which was slim and tall making it easy to sit on - unfortunately it was nowhere near as popular as the circular 18XL which came after it.

Amen brotha!

I can say that 18xl rolls very good! When i still was learning - one time at low 2-5mph speed when stepping off, my well got out of me and did 2 full circles on it self. Like rolling coin. :D 

Ohh i see tire, now i see handle, now i see tire again wtf!, now handle. And now it's on side - fallen over.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 12:37 PM, Dosingpsychedelics said:

Sweet if that is heated I’m riding all winter 🤘🏻😎🤘🏻

would you settle for this?

BONCHO covers riders' bodies from head to toe when riding in the rain and neatly folds up for easy and compact storage.

• Haha 2

On 6/24/2022 at 5:49 AM, Funky said:

Let me introduce you to R.G.B led lighting. Have you heard about it?

You will have the option of all the rainbow.

I just want a bright green EUC. Visibility is extremely important especially when riding on the street. 

20 minutes ago, Pooscout said:

I just want a bright green EUC. Visibility is extremely important especially when riding on the street. 

Dam use that neon green spray paint - it will even glow in dark.. :D 

Euc is so low to ground drivers wont see it.. anyways. Best thing you can do is dress up like a clown. Everybody will see you then. :D 

Edited by Funky

24 minutes ago, Pooscout said:

Painting a EUC is not hard (at least the ones with an outer shell). For example, check out @Marty Backe's Sherman rebuild (he also painted an 18XL and mten3):

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Painting a EUC is not hard (at least the ones with an outer shell). For example, check out @Marty Backe's Sherman rebuild (he also painted an 18XL and mten3):

I personally like the all "black" more than some random colors.. Less of eye sore and standout. In my case as - i have "yoga" mat glued around euc. I could simply buy colorful new "yoga" mat and glue it to euc. :D 

Edited by Funky