V11 oil/grease the sliders or not?

Finn Bjerke

Most likely copper based anti-seize used mainly for high temp apps ( steel studs in AL heads n such).

Good stuff, but will attract dust and dirt. 

Edited by OldFartRides
Adding comment.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, reach said:

what's a slider?

A slider is the part of a suspension that allows the rider/batteries/control board to move up and down relative to the motor/tyre. It guides the motor/tire as it moves.

Edited by Tawpie

15 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

I remember reading somewhere that for sliders in V11 I should use: 

copper grease

Is that a good idea. 

Never tried it on sliders. According to Loctite, at least for Loctite's own formula, copper and graphite are suspended in grease. For open slider designs, grease is generally not recommended. It is not clear to me how copper is helping in a lubricant for low temperature applications. For myself, it would not be my first choice.

From Loctite:

Loctite LB 8008 C5-A Copper Based Anti-Seize Lubricant is an exclusive formula that suspends copper and graphite in a high-quality grease. Protects metal parts from rust, corrosion, galling and seizing at temperatures to 1800 degrees F. 

All normal grease will just bind dust and grit from the road which will turn it from a lubricant into an abrasive paste in a short time. Try teflon based dry lube products, liek they are offered for motorcycle chains that are run in the desert or similar stuff.

Inmotion has said that the rails do not require any lubrication, but we know that moving parts need grease, so that's not a bad idea at all. Adding grease makes the suspension smoother and extends the life of the parts.

Before you do anything, you should wipe/clean the exposed suspension rails and make sure that they are completely dry. Try not to push any dirt into the sliders, you should only wipe downwards to avoid that.

Dry PTFE (Teflon) spray is the best option. PTFE is available in two options: wet and dry. Make sure it is dry as if the surfaces remain wet, it will gather dust and sand, which is a very bad situation. Dust and sand will break the suspension parts.

Here are some examples of correct product:

https://www.service.european-aerosols.com/en/products/presto/technical-sprays/lube/ipg-1455/tm-1455.html

https://www.rocol.com/products/foodgrade-dry-ptfe-spray-lubricant

https://www.molyslip.co.uk/dry-ptfe-spray/

• Like 3

On 4/28/2022 at 7:54 PM, Wolverine said:

Dry PTFE (Teflon) spray is the best option.

Vertical surfaces are tricky to dry lubricate. Dry PTFE powder will easily fall off. Graphite can corrode aluminum parts with street salt. My choice would be the MoS2. It is slick, sticky and messy. A thin layer wouldn't probably gather too much dirt.