Veteran Abrams cutouts; ewheels suspends order

FrenchUsa

2 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

Well, I have a Nik+ that I'm not supposed to ride, now the Abrams, I pray the trusty lil Mten doesn't fail me:/

MTen will be just fine as long as you store and charge it outdoors and replace the batteries every year.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Tawpie said:

MTen will be just fine as long as you store and charge it outdoors and replace the batteries every year.

I know begode put out a statement saying something of that ilk but let’s be reasonable and not confuse people…

On 3/23/2022 at 2:57 PM, Tawpie said:

You are aware that replacing batteries annually does disable Inferno Mode on that EUC right? B)

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/posts/5046125342152055/

Jesse Garnier

I'm getting new information on the Veteran Abrams cutout situation and wanted to share it with the community, as it affects all of our safety. As of this writing, the issue I need to share has not been fixed, patched or addressed, and is believed to present in all Veteran Abrams firmware.

*** SHARING IN THIS GROUP exclusively as it seems to have the widest audience on this platform. Please share or re-distribute this message in any way to maximize its distribution and impact. THANK YOU. ***

As many of us know, a series of concerning reports of cutouts or near-cutouts have surrounded the Abrams since the wheel first shipped, including with some long-time, skilled riders like Denis Hagov, Wrong Way, and Seth Johnson. Jason McNeil at eWheels tells me he received at least one early report of a cutout from a customer, which he reported to Veteran along with additional details. Jason said he was met with a "general sense of lack of urgency" on behalf of Veteran and their developers. I am personally aware of at least six cutout-type crashes, and at least two other braking-related crashes that could conceivably be related to this issue.

Now, another flurry of cutouts were reported over the weekend, all following a similar pattern as the earlier incidents: Hitting a bump, or bumps, at high rotational speed.

Jason says he believes what is causing this problem is a lack of fault protection against momentary interruptions of signal from the hall sensor to the control board. Several things could cause this, from materials failure to incompetent assembly and everything in between. Also unknown is whether these interruptions could be present on all, or just some, Abrams units.

Jason said that other EUC manufacturers (thankfully) build fault protection for potential loss of signal from the hall sensor into their firmware. Veteran, he suspects, does not.

Jason said eWheels has told Veteran they are suspending all future purchases, including an upcoming Max order, until the company addresses the root cause of these cutouts. Veteran told him (and separately, me) they are now working on a firmware update and will be testing code over the next week. How long before reliable code reaches existing riders is anyone's guess.

Needless to say, developments like this place at risk Abrams owners, dealers, and unfortunately the general public. At this point, it's impossible for me to recommend anyone continue riding their Abrams without, at the very least, being aware of the exceptional risk that might be lurking within their wheel.

I briefly chatted with Linnea at Veteran this morning, and she told me 1) new firmware is coming, and 2) at least some Abrams owners will qualify for motor replacement through their dealers. I asked if all Abrams owners would be eligible for motor replacement, or just those who experienced problems, but I got no answer. That is all I can confirm so far as far as a factory response to this important rider safety issue.

That's what I have so far. Will share more as I learn it.

Also... if you in any way can imagine a world where information like this is of actual value, and you want to help support us not only in pursuing these kind of safety bulletins, but in keeping our communities safe now and into the future, then please consider supporting PEVRA with a membership. Your membership helps make us all safer, and we thank all of you for your support.

https://pevra.org/join-pevra-today/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Veteran Abrams cutouts; ewheels suspends order

I wish that Leaperkim’s announcement would have included whether or not the firmware on the shermax is also an issue.  
Just something I was pondering as I was cruising at 35mph 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the new 2.0.0.11 firmware is a fix for this issue, and if it actually works?  I upgraded mine today, the pedals seem a bit more responsive, but I'm still nervous about riding this wheel.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:29 PM, kiitick said:

Does anyone know if the new 2.0.0.11 firmware is a fix for this issue, and if it actually works?  I upgraded mine today, the pedals seem a bit more responsive, but I'm still nervous about riding this wheel.

I don't know.  

Edited by Xodarap1
update

On 5/24/2022 at 8:29 PM, kiitick said:

Does anyone know if the new 2.0.0.11 firmware is a fix for this issue

Yes.

Per ewheels, 2.0.11 adds a behavior such that "when the rotational speed exceeds >6MPH/10KPH & the [hall sensor] signal is impaired, e.g. hitting a bump, the Wheel will still continue to operate"

(Only time will tell if this is effective at preventing crashes)

4 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Im told this firmware updated neutered the soft mode on the Abrams. Is this true? We asked them to fix the cutouts, not to change how the wheel rides. Hope its incorrect (I cant ride yet to verify).

I updated an Abrams from old 2.0.2 to new 2.0.11 today, and found that freespin speed and pull force do not change. Good.

However, some odd things about 2.0.11: 

• A sudden freespin creates a surging behavior, even with tiltback disabled. Smooth slow freespin seems normal. 
    This video (and corresponding EUC World log plot below) shows 3 attempts: a gradual increase (normal), a sudden jerk (cutout before max speed!), and a fast acceleration (surging behavior).
    I did a freespin on the old firmware 2.0.2 just before the update, and it did not jerk this way... sorry no video of that, but any other non-updated Abrams owner could check it. 
    I'm not sure if this matters during riding...
    AM-JKLVAbKWwRooyDGlDz_6KF019zcLEVUz7ffINqVJT0pXDhT6p21B6EXoddMdE10wr1hyhbr-rdpyB6Etz9zIOnKV-jYVvGjQ4J2LeSg45g4gxKtfOV0MZzxMGvEPTFs0yEaVfw5HH-qqcEbw0AT8NHVjEMQ=w1033-h485-no?authuser=0

• There seems to be a new timeout for the current-limiting behavior (overlean pull test). 
    With FW 2.0.2, I could continue to overlean for greater than 1 second, and the EUC continued to pull at its limit.
    But now with FW 2.0.11, the motor suddenly quits, just after 800ms of overlean. 
    This might be nicer for the hardware, but it concerns me that it might be too brief to allow an overleaning rider to recover.
    AM-JKLWXzlSGqxnyQje5Bd3Gf20rtGHlU_8A5Qev4fwAAQUbTMdT5nQSJjd-0FhKaZ8BiYiKa9haIi9_5bIo_RaSdZpe4oMI7Ps8q5yUXn830zdvOxsBkdppmXRWjbbG-eh8Qfh4WVTzcNMDVHuCOj0A2_PzAw=w1337-h479-no?authuser=0

@Kekafuch 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1