Questions about using different chargers on the KS16X simultaneously

BKW

2 hours ago, AndyBill said:

The charger reached a full 84 point something volts and the charger light turned green. I checked the voltage with DarknessBot in the morning after the wheel sat overnight and the app said something like 82.4 volts.

This comment depends on the firmware you're running... if you're on 2.09 or lower the wheel stays powered up after the charger decides it's "done" (the eWheels fast charger turns itself off when it thinks it's done), and the wheel drains the battery. Letting it sit overnight after it hits 84V will certainly drain it down... 82 is not unreasonable. This could be completely normal!

Firmware v2.10+ is different, the wheel powers off at some point so no vampire drain and your wheels should stay at close to 84V. But I'm not certain "why" it powers off, I'd hope it was because the BMS decides that balancing is complete but I haven't monkeyed around to see 'for sure'.

Also, know that the wheel reports to the apps can be off by as much as 0.5V. It's not really a problem for the reading to be 'off' by that much, you're looking for consistent charging behavior as much as anything.

I use the eWheels fast charger to get to 80%, then finish with the super slow 1.5A stock charger. The stock charger is silent, and the current required to finish the CV stage is 1.5A or less so it doesn't slow down the finish+balance any. BTW, the stock charger doesn't turn itself off when it thinks it's done.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

This comment depends on the firmware you're running... if you're on 2.09 or lower the wheel stays powered up after the charger decides it's "done" (the eWheels fast charger turns itself off when it thinks it's done), and the wheel drains the battery. Letting it sit overnight after it hits 84V will certainly drain it down... 82 is not unreasonable. This could be completely normal!

Really good point. If the wheel stayed on after charging, of course the batteryis lower.

29 minutes ago, AndyBill said:

I install the latest firmware when the wheel arrived and I even cycled the power on and off when the charging was completed so I’m certain the wheel did not stay on.

Ah. In that case you're probably at 2.09 so turning the wheel on and off after green-light+hour-or-two is my recommendation. Honestly, I don't quite trust the eWheels fast charger's cutoff—they assure me it's fine but the silence of the stock charger is a blessing so I'll stick with using fast to 80% and slow for the end game.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Tawpie, that’s a great recommendation. I’m going to ride this afternoon, so I’ll deplete the battery a little bit and then I’ll try the slow charger and see what my results are and report back. I really appreciate all of the very knowledgeable and helpful replies.

• Like 2

IMG-7621724-D4-AD1-1.jpg

I am charging now with the stock 2.5A charger. DarknessBot is showing a negative charging Amperage. Is this normal behavior? The battery voltage is increasing slowly. The KingSong app also shows a negative charging amperage. Very strange. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

Screenshot-2022-03-25-at-8-15-24-PM.jpgI

I charged fully using the stock 2.5 amp charger. I let the charger stay plugged for an hour or so after the light on the charger turned green. Monitoring the voltage in DarknessBot, it settled down and did not climb any more during this time. The max charge achieved was 82.79 volts. I am thinking that the computer is just not reporting the voltage 100% accurately. The wheel rides perfectly and the range seems to be great so far. Perhaps as the battery gets more usage it will charge to a higher voltage? I am not going to worry about it at this point and just enjoy the ride and see how things go for a few weeks.

You can't have a bad cell, because then your voltage would max out at 79.8V, and you are way above that. So it's certainly not that.

I'm on the side of "don't worry too much and see what happens".

But it can never hurt to ask your seller if he has any input on that.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, AndyBill said:

I charged the wheel fully last night using the eWheels style fast charger. I set the charger to 3A, 100%. The charger reached a full 84 point something volts and the charger light turned green. I checked the voltage with DarknessBot in the morning after the wheel sat overnight and the app said something like 82.4 volts. Would this be considered normal?

You followed up what the cause of this was?

16 hours ago, AndyBill said:

charged fully using the stock 2.5 amp charger. I let the charger stay plugged for an hour or so after the light on the charger turned green. Monitoring the voltage in DarknessBot, it settled down and did not climb any more during this time. The max charge achieved was 82.79 volts. I am thinking that the computer is just not reporting the voltage 100%

Could theoreticly be a very inaccurate motherboard measurement - charger showing 84V and wheel reporting 1.2-1.6V less. But if still within warranty get in contact and/or return it to the reseller!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the input. I will send a message over to the seller - (EUCO.us) and see what they say. I just got this wheel a few days ago so hopefully they will stand behind the product. I will report back what they say.

Edit:

I also tried sending a message directly to KingSong. It will be interesting if they reply and have any input.

Edited by AndyBill

I was able to get a hold of EUCO via phone. They asked me to fully charge my 16x using the fast charger and take a screenshot of the voltage in the KingSong app to send to them. The wheel only charged to 82.2V and the battery percentage in the app showed 0%! The guy I spoke with at EUCO agreed there is definitely an issue with my wheel and said that they will get in touch with me tomorrow on the next steps in the return process. It sounds like they are open to doing a repair or perhaps an exchange since it’s so new.  I guess we’ll see what happens next. Kind of disappointing that such an expensive unit had issues straight out of the box. Makes me wonder I should have gone for an 18xl or maybe a different brand wheel altogether.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

The 16X's reliability is on par with the 18XL

Agreed! I've around 9000km on my 16X, still on the stock tire, though it's getting thin.

I've beat the hell out of it on every surface conceivable in five different countries. Dropped it 5m over an edge after clipping the pedal on a tree root on a trail. I try to avoid bad weather but sometimes you get caught out or have no choice, so it's been through thunderstorms, hail, snow, and even been half submerged in a puddle when I fell due to a hidden pothole on a flooded road. :) 

My wheel probably hates me, but I love it!

Edited by Tazarinho
spelling and elaborating
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:48 PM, Chriull said:

Unfirtionately that's a way to destroy the battery ;(

There are many duscissions about this topic already - one can google for

site:forum.electricunicycle.org 80% charging

Here one video about this topic:

Edit: deleted "the fastest way" as there are many other ways to destroy li ion batteries faster...

100% Agree on that.  Charging to 80% is (sorry for that word) st*p*d.  I have at least 500 charge cycles (in theory) in my battery pack.  500 * 60 miles... thats   30000 miles / 48000 km of full fun :-) .  Charging only to 80% leaves me with the half of that at "full speed" or whatever i like to do or go.  And to what benefit?  in 30000 miles from now my wheel is beaten up and ready for a change, so whats the point?  :-)

I appreciate the encouragement to stick with the 16x. Kudos to EUCO for stepping up and being willing to take care of the issue. I’m shipping it back today. It’ll be interesting to find out what the issue turns out to be.

when I got mine it did charge up all the way either, I was told to go and run it for a while and it should settle out.

after about 4 charges and run out cycles and its working good.

There my be nothing wrong with yours. How many cycles have you run through it?

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, EUCO has had my 16X for three weeks now. They said it was supposed to be repaired and shipped back by last Friday, but so far nothing has been finalized. They haven't let me know if they ever found out what the issue was. I'm at the point now where I asked them just to keep the unit and process a refund, and charge a restocking fee if they need to (I only had the unit about a week before sending it back to them). I just don't feel comfortable with it after reading about all of the EUC fires :mellow:. I've gotten zero communication from them since last Wednesday so frankly I'm at a loss. Hoping they have just been busy and I'll get a response today. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2