Gotway RS HT Cutout

Graeme N

Waa - I experienced my first cutout this morning. I started my usual loop, which is about 40km into the hills, some beautiful scenery. The route starts along a bike path, I connect with a quiet road, then loop onto paths to the hills.

Fortunately, I was not going fast at the time of the cutout, under 15 mph. While on the bike path, I slowed down to cross a road, crossed, started accelerating on the other side. Next thing I'm sliding on tarmac. I didn't get any indication from the wheel that there was a problem. Unfortunately, I didn't have darknessbot on at the time, but when I did connect it, it showed battery at 95%.

I have a full face helmet (Bell), chest and back/chest protector, knee and elbow pads, wrist guards. The helmet slid along the ground, one knee pad broke, but did its job.

This gave me all the protection I needed. My pride and confidence, however, has been dented!

I got my wheel from ewheels about a year ago. It was one of the wheels from the batch that experienced smoke damage in shipping, so I was extremely worried about the battery packs to begin with. I have worked out a safe way for me to store the wheel. I noticed that Jason posted on this forum about a battery recall, however, I have not seen any communication to change the battery in my device. 

Would anyone in the community be able to suggest what actions should I take to restore confidence in my wheel - should I look to replace it? replace the battery pack? the control board? change the type?

My main issue is that I absolutely love the design of the RS, it seems to sit just right for me, the size, power, pedal height, dimensions and weight. 

Gotway RS HT:

Approximately 1800 Km on the clock

Charge: 95%

Other notes:

1. In my previous ride, it got quite wet and muddy.

2. I noticed that I had issues turning the RS off after the incident. It lay on the ground beeping, I picked it up and depressed the power button. That cycled the lights, but had no effect on depowering the device as per normal. It did eventually depower.

• Like 2

I don't know why it cut out. But maybe it was just a firmware fluke? The battery and board either work, or don't, so if you get the proper range and the wheel charges to full (meaning the battery is ok), I wouldn't know where any potential hardware problem could even be.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

I would be concerned that water might have gotten into the wheel. 

• Like 2

thanks for the ideas, all feedback is greatly appreciated!

@alcatraz - I agree - its time to open it up and see if there is anything obviously wrong. At the moment, my only changes have been adjustments to the tire pressure and cosmetics on the shell. TBH, I don't really know what I am looking for. @meepmeepmayer - I take the point on the board/battery either works or it doesn't. @Paradox - I'm inclined to agree that water could have caused some damage from the last ride. I did take extra care to check the power button at the end of the ride for signs of water (and removed with a cloth).

I will check for:

1. any obvious sign of water damage/intrusion
  2. the firmware of the device, and changelog between what is currently published and now (I have not changed this)
  3. the connection with the power button for debris or anything that might cause short circuiting
  4. the battery versions currently installed (I will email ewheels about this)

I'm wondering if mud got inside, whether a small amount of mud might cause the sensors to malfunction?

I'll post what I find here for the benefit of the group (I expect it will take about a week)

Thanks!

• Like 2

Most obvious question would be - are you sure you didn't overpower the wheel on acceleration?

Are you sure you can hear the beeps consistently? Even at low speeds I often don't hear them (wind noise + wind conditions). Consequently, I will only ride an EUC with a headset (Aftershokz with a half and Sena with a full) and a related app running (EUCWorld, etc.). I can't hear the wheel most of the time. I'm actually surprised if I happen to hear any beeps at all these days. I can only hear notifications via the com system.

I'm also not sure how the Gotways are with responsiveness but I've overleaned my S18 about halfway through an intersection trying to get through because of traffic and she tried to dump me with no warning. Every time she's warned me before. It can happen... luckily I saved it by 'slamming the brakes' and she re-engaged immediately and I made it across...

Other possibilities...

Have you checked the voltage? Is it still good? Maybe a pack went offline (water damage, etc.)

Have you balanced all of the cells? When you charge the wheel, do you leave it plugged in/charging for at least an hour or two after it reports "100%"? Unbalanced cells can also result in low voltage..

Edited by level9
  • Like 1

thanks @level9, I did consider the over lean question, you're right about the wind noise obscuring the beeping sound. In this case, I don't believe that could have been possible because I was deliberately riding easy and there have been times where I've had the unicycle on much harder inclines at higher speeds.

I do have an update, I opened the unit to have a look, please find the picture here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8zxHp23LAnnhBJHu9

It was completely water logged. This surprised me, as its now two weeks since I got caught out in a rain storm, water hadn't drained out in all that time, it was continually condensing and evaporating inside the box causing damage. Everything was wet, including the main wiring from the batteries.

I saw the below video from Wrong Way. I think anyone with an RS should watch this, and very closely. He says that this isn't a wheel for wet environments. He improves the water sealing by: taping up the handle, adding a silicone seal around the control board, and introducing drainage holes in the chassis such that if water does get it, it can immediately get out.

I also got feedback from ewheels, Jason believes it to be a control board issue and also expects new batteries to be shipping in the six week mark.

I completely agree with everying that Jason and Wrongway are saying, for me, the water I believe caused a shortcircuit and led to a cut out.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Graeme N said:

thanks @level9, I did consider the over lean question, you're right about the wind noise obscuring the beeping sound. In this case, I don't believe that could have been possible because I was deliberately riding easy and there have been times where I've had the unicycle on much harder inclines at higher speeds.

I do have an update, I opened the unit to have a look, please find the picture here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8zxHp23LAnnhBJHu9

It was completely water logged. This surprised me, as its now two weeks since I got caught out in a rain storm, water hadn't drained out in all that time, it was continually condensing and evaporating inside the box causing damage. Everything was wet, including the main wiring from the batteries.

I saw the below video from Wrong Way. I think anyone with an RS should watch this, and very closely. He says that this isn't a wheel for wet environments. He improves the water sealing by: taping up the handle, adding a silicone seal around the control board, and introducing drainage holes in the chassis such that if water does get it, it can immediately get out.

I also got feedback from ewheels, Jason believes it to be a control board issue and also expects new batteries to be shipping in the six week mark.

I completely agree with everying that Jason and Wrongway are saying, for me, the water I believe caused a shortcircuit and led to a cut out.

That is a LOT of water ingress, and if it were me, I would disconnect all batteries and not use this wheel until the battery shrink wrap is completely removed, dried completely, inspected and then shrink wrap re-instated and sealed.

With this much water, there is a chance water already got into the battery pack and if so, it will never escape and cause unknown damage to the batteries which unfortunately you have no way of checking on Begode wheels. The fire risk of your wheel just went up significantly with this kind of water damage. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

thanks @conecones - I have removed the battery pack from the control board side of the wheel, but not the left side. The wheel is dry, no power is connected. Its stored in a safe area, including the removed battery pack. I'm intending on leaving it like that until I get the replacement control board. Would you know how I could get the battery packs re-wrapped - is that something I would need to do myself?

https://www.amazon.com/heat-shrink-battery/s?k=heat+shrink+battery

Its easy to do yourself. Just make sure you measure your pack and get heat shrink that’s a larger diameter than you need. Use a heat gun to reduce it over the cells. Don’t over heat them, keep your heat source moving. 

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Graeme N said:

thanks @conecones - I have removed the battery pack from the control board side of the wheel, but not the left side. The wheel is dry, no power is connected. Its stored in a safe area, including the removed battery pack. I'm intending on leaving it like that until I get the replacement control board. Would you know how I could get the battery packs re-wrapped - is that something I would need to do myself?

The blue shrink wrap is easy to get (Ebay, Aliexpress), and easy to redo if you take some measurements have used a heat gun before. Alternatively if you bring your battery pack to a local electronics repair shop familiar with batteries, it should be a fairly cheap service. You just want to be 100% sure there is no trapped water in that shrink wrap. The material itself is dirt cheap. 

• Like 1

I've had my RS a little over a year now. I ride in heavy rain all the time. Mine has had no serious water ingress. Gotway has very poor quality control. I've been lucky that my RS has been very reliable and water resistant. I did have to replace my bearings at 100 miles. I repacked the replacement bearings with marine grease before install. I now have 1300 miles on it. I do mixed riding trail and street. I don't tape the trolley handle because I commute with it and need use of the handle. I did drill drain holes in both sides when I first opened it up. I also drilled drain holes in the motor side plates at the bearing flange for drainage. I have the 2nd batch with the larger bearings and is a covered flange. The only water proofing I've done is tape a scrap piece of bicycle inner tube over the power switch. 

It is wise to open the wheel up frequently and inspect for water and dust intrusion. Also inspect for any wire descrepancies and battery pack for damage. I opened mine up last week after I was riding in deep snow and slush. It was dry inside. I usually have a little dust inside on the right side every time I open it up. My RS has one small hole in the front and one in the back of the right outer panel for cooling air. I should put some foam in them but the dust isn't that much. I clean it out on every inspection.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Random question, would anyone know the paste that is used to secure the wires to the control board? I guess it's there to minimize the chance of disconnection through vibration? Maybe it's also there as a type of waterproofing? 

I also need to know what the sticky pads are used to stop the battery packs moving around internally. Maybe there are better options that make it easier to more regularly service the electrics?

I just got my new board through. Any ideas very gratefully received! 

Edited by Graeme N

The paste for the wires is silicone. Gotway uses Kafurter brand. The batteries are secured with double sticky foam padding. That seems to work ok. If the securing method is too thick it will cause stress between the battery packs and the outer covers.

• Like 2