Mango

19 hours ago, rebeuc said:

I think I can answer that last part with a bit of geosleuthing since I saw there was a checkers diagonally across from a tires plus and then a bike shop on the other side of the intersection.

His starting position appears to be in Gainesville Florida facing east on W University Avenue at the intersection with SW 34th Street

GPS coordinates approximately 29.652035805086065, -82.3726393301134

Thank god for the autistic to figure things out for the rest of us.  

that ride looked seriously fun though. If I was rich I would buy them all!

30 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

That video is absurd, the v13 is running in no-suspension mode. 

Inmotion needs to take back the V13 from the person who received a V13 for testing purposes in that video. It amounts to false advertising. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 2:01 AM, HEC said:

I have only now realised that:

1. The top arch of the rear frame is lower that front one (perhaps because of upcoming seat, which can be already preordered?).

2. Both arches are lower than top of the folded trolley handle, which will likely result in damaged handle if the wheel rolls over the top.

I'm curious what lead Inmotion to such design choices?

16_V13_521b5252-1021-4c68-aa4b-eefcdeaa5803.jpg

A03a261cdf8ec42f6a98409dc026c63e0R.jpg

Yikes, I am miffed by the whole trolley handle. Definitely an afterthought. They probably could have integrated one behind one of those orange roll bars on the front or back. I'm way more annoyed by the pedals, im starting to really loathe these new EUC's that come with mediocre components, especially pedals. If those are the pedals they are going with, & no street tire option, I'm definitely passing on this wheel. They have taken too long to get it ready, & there is no intermediate wheel option, with suspension.  It's not that I can't wait any longer, I don't know how to explain it, but it's kinda like seeing something coming in slow-motion, & you don't like it when it very slowly gets closer. 

Still waiting on a review.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

People usually swap pedals anyway

Really? I mean, I agree with the sentiment that pedals can be swapped, but I _really, really_ don't think that people _usually_ swap pedals. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of EUCs out there have stock pedals on them.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Kurtosis said:

Really? I mean, I agree with the sentiment that pedals can be swapped, but I _really, really_ don't think that people _usually_ swap pedals. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of EUCs out there have stock pedals on them.

Huh, I guess it's just my local demographic then. I haven't seen one stock EUC out here.

• Upvote 1

There is always a contingent vocal minority who says stock pedals suck, stock pads suck, stock tire sucks, etc. Just best ignore those riders. The majority of riders are happy with their stock pads, pedals and tires.

I've only ever changed stock pedals (og sherman) to honeycomb was for snow riding. I've only ever changed stock pads was because I wanted to do jumps. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Freeforester said:

Don’t worry, you weren’t the first. From p 11, back in July, following the name change from ‘Raptor’ :

Posted July 15 (edited)

On 7/15/2022 at 6:35 PM,  Robse said: 

if, and if that wheel can go +100 kph  there will be a serious need to be able to easily disassemble the wheel / rim with tire and mount it in a tire balancing machine to make a balancing.

If it goes that fast at the current stage of wheel development by the company, it may turn out to be all too appropriately named. FFS, are they goading the US market?? Conqueror I could live with, but who in the name of Christendom chose that name?

Edit - Credit where credit is due - at least they didn’t name the V 13 either “Doodlebug”, or “Apollo”

Doodlebug :roflmao:

I am biased towards needing a stronger motor to make it up steep hills. I don't think that is a common urban issue. So by making a wheel that can make my "non-standard" hills possible, manufacturers are also making machines that in the common situation, will go absurdly, dangerously fast. What is the solution to that? It's the issue I ran up against with one-size-fits-all ebike laws. I'm sorry my 3000W motor that  makes it up my 35 degree hill will also go fast on the flats. I don't feel like the answer is limiting motors to 750watts. Unsolvable.

Also, what was wrong with Raptor? That sounds like a great alternative. Our national symbol is one. They are awesome animals. So... incredibly specialized example of the power of natural selection, or horrifying live-broadcast disaster watched by millions of schoolchildren? Errrrr

Also Also, Apollo, at least to my ears, had enough incredible successes to not be burdened by the disasters. As well as mythological connotations. Hell, even "Columbia" doesn't have that singular kind of stab at the heart like "Challenger." Maybe its just an American thing? I can't be objective, really. I guess there is the Challenger Deep but who's heard of that?

I do appreciate all of these perspectives a lot. Thanks for the info. I thought I'd read this thread pretty carefully. :unsure:

10 hours ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Lmao it's just a name guys

Genuinely curious. I don't know your age so can't guess. Are you old enough to have watched the Challenger disaster happen? I'm definitely NOT saying that it ruins the word forever, obviously. It's just that naming consumer products that are capable of leading to great bodily harm seems like an area where a lot of thought would go into it. I mean the Nova wasn't even associated with tragedy. It was just a comical linguistic oversight that turned into major financial debacle.

But you are correct. It's just a name, and the demographic of EUC enthusiasts probably doesn't know/care. And that's probably as it should be...

-------------------------------

Sidebar--- I'm not clear: are you going to cancel the V13 if you get the Sherman first and it ticks all your checkboxes?

I know it ain't up for a vote. But I vote you get both. Your use-case seems more relatable than most, and you're almost there. LOL. People are depending on the proxy experience. :D

Edited by UPONIT
Encouraging consumer spending.

9 hours ago, Paul A said:

Raptor and Mustang, sound better than Canary and Clydesdale though.

Gotway and Ford Pinto, about the same.....  :D

Great examples!!

Raptor Mustang Canary Clydesdale: exactly. The "nature" of the animal makes a difference.

But what even is a Gotway? And the Pinto would be fine because Pinto/Clydesdale is like Greyhound/St. Bernard. EXCEPT Pinto was also a vehicle that, when lightly rear-ended, exploded into flames. And nothing except beans still uses that name.

Like it or not, we are a consumer economy and marketing kinda runs our lives.:crying:

23 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

Genuinely curious. I don't know your age so can't guess. Are you old enough to have watched the Challenger disaster happen? I'm definitely NOT saying that it ruins the word forever, obviously. It's just that naming consumer products that are capable of leading to great bodily harm seems like an area where a lot of thought would go into it. I mean the Nova wasn't even associated with tragedy. It was just a comical linguistic oversight that turned into major financial debacle.

But you are correct. It's just a name, and the demographic of EUC enthusiasts probably doesn't know/care. And that's probably as it should be...

https://www.dodge.com/challenger.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rawnei said:

It's a dumb video, that is a V13 without suspension.

Yup.

2 hours ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Huh, I guess it's just my local demographic then. I haven't seen one stock EUC out here.

IMHO: Pedals are your interface. Everybody's feet are different. Everybody learns differently. We tend to love what we know first. We all have different use cases.

RESULT: It is 100% impossible to make a pedal that will satisfy even a plurality of people. So manufacturers do the best they can, experiment, give it a shot, knowing that at least half the buyers are gonna lose their minds, and the other half just want what they are used to, and the third half like to personalize or don't like grip tape. etc.

I'm totally new to EUCs and I couldn't even ride my little Mten4 without changing to spikier pedals. Comically slippery.

I'm with Santa on this, pedals are handlebars, throttles and brakes rolled into one. Most likely part to be customized for an actual reason.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

There is always a contingent vocal minority who says stock pedals suck, stock pads suck, stock tire sucks, etc. Just best ignore those riders. The majority of riders are happy with their stock pads, pedals and tires.

I've only ever changed stock pedals (og sherman) to honeycomb was for snow riding. I've only ever changed stock pads was because I wanted to do jumps. 

See above reply. You changed pedals and pads because you needed to. I assume that to be true for everyone. Those things you listed aren't like paint color or cool decals..:D

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Kurtosis said:

OH MY DOG. How TF did I not think of that?!?!? WOW.

Seriously: Thank you!

Kicker: I LIKE those cars. I see twenty of them every day and it never clicked.  I drive a RAM pickup. :wub:

THAT is why I ask questions. UNbelievable. Can you upvote a comment twice?

Question withdrawn.:clap3:

Edited by UPONIT
Momentary Lapse of Higher Brain Function.

When the names were discussed, the one that I took with me was a comment saying that there isn’t a name that doesn’t have any negative connotations, in any culture.

If tragedies put all associative names, brands, colors, etc into a blacklist that were never to be used again, we’d have practically run out of names and numbers a long time ago.

Stalin’s first name was Joseph, ffs! Still a common name. And I’m cool with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UPONIT said:

RESULT: It is 100% impossible to make a pedal that will satisfy even a plurality of people.

2 hours ago, UPONIT said:

I'm totally new to EUCs and I couldn't even ride my little Mten4 without changing to spikier pedals. Comically slippery.

You're new to eucs although have a very strong opinion about pedals?

I think the begode honeycomb pedals (not the mten4 ones) are very well reviewed. I don't think I've heard a negative thing about them except maybe the first cast ones broke easily? 

I run them on my Sherman and hero. Great pedals and I pains me everytime I see pedals without replaceable pins. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UPONIT said:

-------------------------------

Sidebar--- I'm not clear: are you going to cancel the V13 if you get the Sherman first and it ticks all your checkboxes?

I know it ain't up for a vote. But I vote you get both. Your use-case seems more relatable than most, and you're almost there. LOL. People are depending on the proxy experience. :D

Yes I watched the Challenger disaster. I still don't see an issue with the name of the V13. They are two completely separate things only connected by a string of 10 characters. The only thing relating the two is an individual making a bigger deal than needs to be. Up until this point (through 60+ pages) the discussion has been about things that actually matter. I will not be partaking in any further discussion regarding the name.

I am biased towards needing a stronger motor to make it up steep hills. I don't think that is a common urban issue. So by making a wheel that can make my "non-standard" hills possible, manufacturers are also making machines that in the common situation, will go absurdly, dangerously fast. What is the solution to that? It's the issue I ran up against with one-size-fits-all ebike laws. I'm sorry my 3000W motor that  makes it up my 35 degree hill will also go fast on the flats. I don't feel like the answer is limiting motors to 750watts. Unsolvable.

Also, what was wrong with Raptor? That sounds like a great alternative. Our national symbol is one. They are awesome animals. So... incredibly specialized example of the power of natural selection, or horrifying live-broadcast disaster watched by millions of schoolchildren? Errrrr

Also Also, Apollo, at least to my ears, had enough incredible successes to not be burdened by the disasters. As well as mythological connotations. Hell, even "Columbia" doesn't have that singular kind of stab at the heart like "Challenger." Maybe its just an American thing? I can't be objective, really. I guess there is the Challenger Deep but who's heard of that?

I do appreciate all of these perspectives a lot. Thanks for the info. I thought I'd read this thread pretty carefully. :unsure:

On that first paragraph, I entirely agree. However, the manufacturers could technically put a software based speed limiter like we have in cars, or they can wind the motors to make massive torque but only rotate fast enough to go X mph. Either way, I like my speedy wheels. As to the rest of the paragraphs, I covered that already.

3 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Great examples!!

Raptor Mustang Canary Clydesdale: exactly. The "nature" of the animal makes a difference.

But what even is a Gotway? And the Pinto would be fine because Pinto/Clydesdale is like Greyhound/St. Bernard. EXCEPT Pinto was also a vehicle that, when lightly rear-ended, exploded into flames. And nothing except beans still uses that name.

Like it or not, we are a consumer economy and marketing kinda runs our lives.:crying:

Uhh...

I'm new here, so may not get it, but that's kinda rude? No?

I understand what he means, but maybe it was phrased a bit harsh. Im going to assume our... Differences in discussion methods and idea conveyance come down to cultural and sociological differences.

Yup.

IMHO: Pedals are your interface. Everybody's feet are different. Everybody learns differently. We tend to love what we know first. We all have different use cases.

RESULT: It is 100% impossible to make a pedal that will satisfy even a plurality of people. So manufacturers do the best they can, experiment, give it a shot, knowing that at least half the buyers are gonna lose their minds, and the other half just want what they are used to, and the third half like to personalize or don't like grip tape. etc.

I'm with Santa on this, pedals are handlebars, throttles and brakes rolled into one. Most likely part to be customized for an actual reason.

See above reply. You changed pedals and pads because you needed to. I assume that to be true for everyone. Those things you listed aren't like paint color or cool decals..:D

Yeah. Pedals and pads are the only connection we have to our wheel, and there is no one size fits all. Don't forget, the pedals on the Sherman S are absolutely trash as well but everyone in that thread just assumes they will swap pedals and move on. No biggie.

1 hour ago, Eyss said:

You're new to eucs although have a very strong opinion about pedals?

I think the begode honeycomb pedals (not the mten4 ones) are very well reviewed. I don't think I've heard a negative thing about them except maybe the first cast ones broke easily? 

I run them on my Sherman and hero. Great pedals and I pains me everytime I see pedals without replaceable pins. 

This.

Edited by Unicycle Santa
  • Like 2

Apollo, coupled with the code number that InM usually accords their products, might ring a bell, possibly an alarm one. As US says, it’s only a name, but when your largest potential market is likely to be the one which could be somewhat ‘culturally sensitive’ to a misnamed product, why not give it a little more thought? I’m inclined to imagine that sales at least in some states might be impacted were it named for example, the ‘Trump’, or indeed elsewhere as eg the ‘flying Fauci’ 🤔

As for Gotway’s ‘CNC’ pedals (are they?) - they are pretty good, indeed I changed out my std MSP pedals for such a pair, but that was before I discovered Nylonove pedals, which shaved more than one kilogramme (over 2lbs) off the all-up weight of the wheel. An understanding of basic principles led me to believe that lessening the burden by a percentage point might not be detrimental to the performance and overall running characteristics of the (now possibly considered to be mid range performance) wheel.

As someone who is unlikely to be sufficiently interested in buying the V13, the naming of it is of little importance to me, and if everyone else is happy about the name then it’s not an issue, my posts were merely to demonstrate that some may still harbour sensitivities, and as has been explained above by others, there are indeed other relatively recent instances of when the marketing guys have ‘got it wrong’. 

Edited by Freeforester
  • Haha 1

Inmotion on Facebook keeps calling it the Challenger. While I just call it the V13. I have a V12, so it is natural for me to call it the V13.

Despite what we discuss here concerning the name, the V13 is now just behind the Master Pro in the best seller ranking at Alienrides. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Inmotion on Facebook keeps calling it the Challenger. While I just call it the V13. I have a V12, so it is natural for me to call it the V13.

Despite what we discuss here concerning the name, the V13 is now just behind the Master Pro in the best seller ranking at Alienrides. 

We live and learn, lol! It seems that the ‘first batch’ bogey man has been slain, at least by InM.