Mango

Issue with the battery on challenger.  Got major tilt back today at only 40% battery.    I though the wheel was too cold from storing overnight in 30 f.  Today it won’t charge.  Charger shows full.  So I thought problem was solved but wheel is still at 40% batt.  low and performing tilt back on power up.  Also giving battery fail error.F2382FD4-298D-4340-9192-4176719211AF.thumb.jpeg.7ea899dd295e344e62b6bbb61c98ef8d.jpeg0F169689-3BA3-4A48-928E-A5EB4A1C2F79.thumb.jpeg.f9e8a7d364923736ea5140a11f79e2ef.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

0731E879-C5A0-4095-BD6B-43F64ED419A4.thumb.jpeg.4a28ce3f0ba39fd28bc5610f527472ba.jpeg

Aw krud. I don't know for certain if being at 30F overnight had anything to do with it (most cell data sheets say -20C is ok for storage, but not for use and NEVER charging). But I have no idea what battery cells they use in the V13 either, they may be different. The potting may not like freezing, but I certainly don't know that.

Your reseller will sort it out for you (hopefully). You'll need to stock up on your velcro though, the 'battery' is the entire side of the wheel.

I wish you the best of luck with getting it serviced and hope it doesn't accelerate your search for wheels 2 and 3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Josiah said:

Issue with the battery on challenger.  Got major tilt back today at only 40% battery.    I though the wheel was too cold from storing overnight in 30 f.  Today it won’t charge.  Charger shows full.  So I thought problem was solved but wheel is still at 40% batt.  low and performing tilt back on power up.  Also giving battery fail error.F2382FD4-298D-4340-9192-4176719211AF.thumb.jpeg.7ea899dd295e344e62b6bbb61c98ef8d.jpeg0F169689-3BA3-4A48-928E-A5EB4A1C2F79.thumb.jpeg.f9e8a7d364923736ea5140a11f79e2ef.jpeg

What was the wheel temperature during the last charge?

I wonder if the V13 BMS is configured with low temperature protection, it's something that's often omitted during QC.

Edited by supercurio

7 hours ago, Josiah said:

Issue with the battery on challenger.

Sorry to hear that man ...

What does the Inmotion app say in diagnostic and battery status? Normally I'd guess faulty or loose battery connection, but as V13 have the battery packs connected in "triangle", that should be less likely. Though might be still worth peeking in to see if any of the battery connection is loose or off.

Edited by HEC
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

If it was just something like charge protection for too-cold batteries I like that it has the feature, but hopefully the presentation of the error message can change to reflect what is actually going on rather than just the vague error. This is a common scenario folks in colder climates are likely to encounter.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Same issue this am :( sent in a diagnostic’s log and submitted a question about the wheel not charging  through the app. 

Hopefully it will get resolved soon. What does diagnostic show? And detailed cell info in the app?

5 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Was the wheel in the car for the night again?

Oh no I’ve made that mistake two times now in winter.  Won’t be doing that again.  Last night she was 5 feet away from the gas heater for the lower portion of the home.  
almost 20 hrs at room temp now. 

Edited by Josiah
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Josiah said:

D0A253CF-132E-4E51-865E-FF7661AB9CC6.thumb.jpeg.c24cce3ffb4b92118c875abfcf937f3f.jpeg

Ouch! Those two segments don't look healthy 2.2 and 5.1V ... Way too low and way too high. Sigh. So you're likely looking at replacing the battery pack. Now the question is if this is really couple (or more in parallel) bad cell or perhaps some issue with BMS or its wiring, like loose solder / weld point, having one point producing incorrect readings for two joined segments (I saw similar behaviour with smart BMS before)?

Edited by HEC
  • Sad 3

Is this relevant?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1002007118307536

The acceptable temperature region for LIBs normally is −20 °C ~ 60 °C.

Both low temperature and high temperature that are outside of this region will lead to degradation of performance and irreversible damages, such as lithium plating and thermal runaway.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0360128521000514

Lithium plating reduces the battery life drastically and limits the fast-charging capability.

In severe cases, lithium plating forms lithium dendrite, which penetrates the separator and causes internal short.

• Like 1

That’s helpful information, but it definitely did not get that cold the other night. 

I won’t try to charge it until it’s been investigated. I’m considering storing the wheel in its box outside in the fire pit.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take the bad pack off, if it goes up in flames your entire wheel doesn't have to be toast too. Although, this wheel has had enough quirks a full replacement might be just fine too!

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Take the bad pack off, if it goes up in flames your entire wheel doesn't have to be toast too. Although, this wheel has had enough quirks a full replacement might be just fine too!

Maybe I wait to see what Jason wants me to do first.  I think I can manage that if he gives me the go ahead. 

• Upvote 1