EUC for my wife (158 cm, 50kg)

Greetings, dear EUC enthusiasts!

I've joined EUC stream this year and I'm enjoying my KS16x. Now my wife is starting to look with interest on EUCs, but my KS16x "is too bulky and heavy"... 

What model can you suggest for her?

Requirements are simple. It should be light and compact. She will use it for commuting using bicycle ways mostly. Range of 30-40km should be sufficient.

Thanks!

Ivan

I think a 16 is a good size. If she wants smaller, perhaps an mcm5? Newbies tend to think they need uber small, then they go bigger. ALL wheels seem heavy when you arent used to them. even the tiny mten is suprisingly heavy if you arent aware of how eucs are. Its a catch 22. we want light weight, but batteries are heavy. We want small, but larger is smoother. Its a test of compromises at every turn.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I only know the MTen—it’s a fine little beastie but not at all forgiving. It’s also a do not go very fast wheel so not an ideal commuter unless the commute is a mile or two tops. “Fast” on an MTen is 13-15 mph, I failed to heed that limit and the Leatts and wrist guards bear witness to the consequences.

• Like 1

What are the roads and paths like where she will be riding?  If they're as shonky as they are here in Auckland then maybe a suspension wheel is worth a look.  I really feel like mine has saved me a few times and as Shane pointed out you don't feel the weight when you're riding.

1 hour ago, Lex Smith said:

What are the roads and paths like where she will be riding?  If they're as shonky as they are here in Auckland then maybe a suspension wheel is worth a look.  I really feel like mine has saved me a few times and as Shane pointed out you don't feel the weight when you're riding.

This is for Warsaw, Poland. 

Bike paths are mostly asphalt or paving stones.

18 hours ago, Ivank said:

Can someone from pros tell me pros and cons for these models?

Mten3: Very funny wheel for noodling around in the park. Totally unsuitable for any kind of traveling.

MCM5 V2: Smallest of the serious contenders, 14” tire. Will surely feel nicely agile at first when learning or fooling around in the parking lot. But while this is the most stable of all 14” EUCs because of the 2.5” wide tire, it’s still only a 14”. Agile equals less stability at speed, and the 14” will emphasize bumps of the road.

V8S: ~15kg. Inmotion’s are slimmer than the rest, which feels comfortable and easy to familiarize with. This is the lightest 16”, making it a little less stable at traveling speeds. Inmotions generally have more adjustability for the riding settings, alert sounds etc, but I’m not sure if this applies to the V8S.

16S: 17.5kg. A bit porky. A wide wheel with low side panels is not the most comfortable combination, but it’s a solid performer. The handle is great.

V10F: ~20kg. A lot more comfortable and stable due to high side pads and a wider 2.5” tire. A bit larger battery than on the 16S, and also faster and a good bit more powerful (safer). It could be the best combination of being slightly bigger than expected at the start, but it’s size and stability would carry over for longer than on the others. This would have the best chances of being a multi-year investment, without a need to upgrade. Until the 16” suspension wheels come around… ;)

All the batteries of the above 16” wheels are roughly the same size. Don’t get hung up on the reported range figures, a Wh is a Wh in every wheel. The range can just be measured in so many ways. All of the above will be enough when it comes to range.

The 18L/18XL would be a large upgrade even on the V10F, but based on what you’re looking for, it is probably a bit of a reach to expect for her to decide to commit to an 18” wheel. But the stability and the much smaller bumps on the road are mesmerizing. 18” wheels are the kings of the road. And off-road. Personally, I’m pretty sure I will never look into other wheel sizes. Or wheels without suspension for that matter… :P

• Like 1

While I'm 100% in the "mTen isn't good to learn on" camp and in no way recommend it, I did see a video where a guy was teaching a newbie on a (I think) V8F and the student was pretty much unable to get going. Then cut to the student on an mTen and voilá, they were riding (slowly) and confidently around the parking lot like they were born on the thing. Different folks learn differently.

The fact does remain that the mTen is a wheel strictly for amusement, suited for things like going to the mailbox, trick riding, and picking up garbage in the neighborhood (my favorite application!). So unless you also need an excuse to have a delightful toy, don't buy one as a learner! The last thing you want is an mTen taking a chunk out of her ankle and souring the entire experience before it gets started.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

I agree with the MCM5, V8S, 16S selection. If your wife is intimidated by the perceived bulkiness and weight of the 16X I would focus on the V8S, it is light both in weight and in appearance. The V8F (it has 518Wh battery, while V8S has 728Wh) is also a decent option if you can find a good deal (new or used).

With the MCM5 and 16S you should know that there are versions with different battery capacities available. KS16 comes in 840Wh (standard now) 640Wh or 420Wh and the MCM5 can be found in 800Wh, 460Wh or 280Wh. Do not buy the lowest capacity options. The reduced battery not only reduces range, but it also reduces safe top speed and available torque, so they are typically a poor choice (I personally bought a used 420Wh only because the price was too good). 

If you do not plan to buy a third wheel soon (within a year, for example) then I concur with mrelwood -- the V10F might be worth a look -- lighter than the 16X but capable enough to stay relevant for a few years (or forever, depending on your wifes taste for speed and off-road).

If, on the other hand, you are already thinking about upgrading from the 16X in the future then I would definitely get a V8S/V8F or MCM5 now and offer her the 16X later, once she becomes proficient with the light wheel. The light wheel could then be sold (or kept -- it is very nice to have a light wheel for certain commute scenarios or as backup and to teach friends).

• Like 1

I think the MCM5 is good for this use case as a 14 inch wheel. I have a 7 year old daughter right now who loves her MTen3, and I’ve been thinking about what to get for her when she wants a little more power, but also so that my 5 year old son can then inherit the MTen3.

For context, my daughter has learned to ride my 16” Tesla v2, fitted with a 2.5 inch wide tire. While she likes that it’s capable of faster speeds, longer range, and more stable at speed than her MTen3, she prefers the MTen3 more often because, per her words, it’s her size, and I think that the heavier weight and bulk of the Tesla is too high a price for her. She takes pride in being able to effortlessly maneuver since the wheel is so light, and that the wheel is small enough where she can carry it up and down stairs or into the trunk of the car on her own.

Your wife may be in a similar mindset given her thoughts about the 16x, i.e. just looking for a wheel as light and less bulky as possible, but still pretty capable. MCM5 may be a good fit.

Edited by TheSlyGiraffEV
  • Like 2