How to make custom pedals stay closed (Hextech)

MultiTricker

Hi guys,

I have an issue with custom pedals on Veteran Sherman - there is no friction, nothing to hold them up, so they are keep falling down even when I do just a little tiny movement. That is really annoying and manipulation with Sherman is much more clumsy :-)

So I asked Hextech on Instagram for help, how to solve this. They pointed me to the Russian EUC custom service to ask for help, since they install a lot of those. They helped and sent me a video that I should drill a hole into the bottom of pedal hangers and into rod and insert a pin there - rod will not spin and it give pedal friction, so it will stay up.

I'm glad they took their time responding me, but this is solution I do not like - it weakens materials I want to have in one piece (or at least without holes :-)). And it of course is not the easiest thing to do properly.

Do you have any ideas, how to solve this in more elegant and easy way? I'm thinking now that I will try to stick some thin rubber on top of pedal hanger, where bottom of pedal is when it is closed. It won't be pernament solution, since it will get wear down eventually, but it could do the trick for some time.

VS-Hextech.jpg

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Can you add magnets to the pedals? The side shell of the Sherman already has a magnet. Check position and polarity.

Really, are they there? I knew there are in Begode RS (maybe not in the most recent batch), but here too? If so, I can easily glue big metal screw pad to pedals.

It seemed to me, that original Sherman pedals just have some friction being precisely fitted to hangers. I tried to put my keys on Sherman side, but they were not getting magnetized and hanging there (unlike Begode RS). Also didn't noticed them when I was checking my side shell for "BMS safety mod" which was already done by Leaperkim (3rd batch, black buttons), but were not looking for them :-)

I will try that later today and will let you know. Thank you for reply!

35 minutes ago, fbhb said:

The magnets are just above the screw hole, underneath some black goop used to hold them in place on the inside of the side panels! The polarity of the magnets used on the pedals will be important to make sure they attract, and do not repel!

Cool, thank you!

Well, it would be hilarious, if I would put magnets on pedals wrong side and then make a video like "Oh look you morons what you have done, now pedals are catapulted to open state, it is much worse now!!" :-D

Problem is, that Hextech pedals are not metal (alluminium I think, they are pretty light yet strong), so before putting magnet there somehow, I will try to attach some metal to pedal to see if it is enough. Will let you know how it ended.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Howabout retrofitting Gotway's new pedal holder springs?

That sounds like a great idea! I have the same problem. Is it possible to buy these anywhere or do we have to make our own?

So I did some progress with solving the "pedal fall down freely" issue.

In the first photo, you can see where is the exact location of a magnet from the outside of the shell and how much it intervenes into the pedal closest hole.

I bought this magnet and thought I will grind it into a hex shape, but grinding magnet is not ideal (it's kinda fragile and crumbles). Not a big deal, but still.

So I tried to put a metal screw into the pedal hole - it fits perfectly! Tried to glue it there (there is like 0.1 mm space :)), it holds there, but the pedal is not being held by a magnet inside the shell enough when closed. I pushed the metal screw deeper into the pedal to make room for "pad screw"/"washer under screw" (not sure which is the correct term in English). So I had an area on top of the metal screw to glue the pad screw. It's a little closer to the magnet now and more importantly, the surface to be magnetized area is bigger (photos 3 and 4). Be aware if you use a metal pad screw - check if it holds (is attracted) to the magnet on VS shell.

It's not perfect, but it works enough for me. Thank you all for your suggestions!

If I wanted to do this much better, I would still put a hex screw inside the pedal hex hole but glued a magnet onto the top of this hex screw instead. Having a hex screw underneath means having a surface for an imperfectly grinded magnet to hold on to.

VS1-magnet.jpg

VS-2.jpg

VS-3.jpg

VS-4.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Howabout retrofitting Gotway's new pedal holder springs?

They aren’t strong enough to hold more then the stock pedal. They seem to be a cost cutting move. Metal clip cheaper then magnets. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bracky72 said:

They aren’t strong enough to hold more then the stock pedal. They seem to be a cost cutting move. Metal clip cheaper then magnets. 

Well, Hextech pedals are really light. It won't be too much difference from Begode stock pedal.

On the other hand, Begode hex pedals are really, really heavy (I have those too, on RS HT). Does that mean, that you will have problems with Begode hex pedals on springs? That would be really unfortunate to pay hefty price for wheel and buy those pricey pedals to just have more problems. I suspect that spings are cost cutting move rather than improvement as well (magnets work great).

We already move into offtopic with Begode pedals right now, but I must say, that they won't fit on RS (second batch) really well, they are longer and I had to remove one pin (the one most in front) so they will be more closely to the body and remain closed :-) I didn't tried them on Sherman, since Hextech pedals on RS had too much steep angle and were really uncomfortable. So I'm happy with Hextech on Sherman (and Begode hex on RS).

I didn’t mean to go off topic. I have not tried hextech with the metal clips. But I think your magnet solution is better then the cheap clips. Better to remove the clips and add a magnet then to remove the magnet and drill/tap hangers to add clips.

• Like 1

Have taped mine up with velcro now, not the prettiest solution but it works. Can't have the pedals down when trolleying around. Your solutions looks better, but seems a bit complicated for a simpleton like myself. Hoping that something better becomes buyable later.

Edited by zege

That's not bad either!

I might have some concerns - is velcro thicker than pins, so it will get together with the opposite piece (I suppose so)? Won't it get too dirty, worn off by shoes?

The best solution is to glue magnet into pedal for sure, it will be strong enough. I'm happy with my solution, it is good enough for me, but still pretty weak.

• 4 months later...

…Or simply place the magnet on outside of the casing to where the magnet is on the inside (the magnet will find its own place, and correct polarity for you) and just let the magnet find your washer/spacer on the pedal. If you are worried about losing the magnet (don’t be, but I know, I know..) you can cover it with a neat piece of strong tape?

(Er, not so neat tape on the neoprene cover is left over from learning days, and a desire to ‘protect the baby bump protection’ on top of the lovely cover! I’ve a mono shell in metallic British racing green ready for when I am happy to begin to use it)

7381503D-667D-4424-9466-981750505FE3.jpeg

Edited by Freeforester

What you do is get some extra magnets and stick them to the outside of the case. This brings them closer ti the pedal magnets since the spikes move them away etc.

• 2 weeks later...