INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

1 hour ago, jimjam.nyc said:

When i spoke to ewheels recently, it was mentioned all v12 boards would be replaced. I had a different smaller issue I was troubleshooting with them, mentioned i would like to purchase a new board if and when they become available and they said that the board would be replaced even without a failure. No timeframe, but basically only because of supply chain issues. 

This was last week. 

Edit: I dont know if this is only ewheels, or certain distributors willing to kick in.. or if this is an inmotion thing.. I also expect that this situation is probably still fluid and can possibly change.. 

I also want to state my v12 is fully functional, and both ehweels and inmotion reps have responded to all of my questions regarding pretty much everything with the wheel so far. 

I emailed the place I bought it from last week and got a reply saying that amongst other things that Inmotion is still saying that units the survive the spin test are ok. So it might be that eWheels has the volume of sales to pull that off where others can't.

8 minutes ago, Silverfish said:

I emailed the place I bought it from last week and got a reply saying that amongst other things that Inmotion is still saying that units the survive the spin test are ok. So it might be that eWheels has the volume of sales to pull that off where others can't.

Here is to hoping it is across the board!

When i first inquired in about the issue in the very beginning i got the same communication.. Pass the Spin test you are good.. That has since changed. I probably wouldnt have known if I wasn't asking questions, but i trust ewheels would eventually send out a communication around it once there are solid dates and times. 

And of course like mentioned in my earlier post.. I will not be shocked or totally destroyed if this changes again and i am out of luck.. I would be disappointed and probably a little burnt, but i have gotten worse support on products lol. 

28 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

And of course like mentioned in my earlier post.. I will not be shocked or totally destroyed if this changes again and i am out of luck.. I would be disappointed and probably a little burnt, but i have gotten worse support on products lol. 

I am going to get mine fixed with or without their support as soon as I can because I would like to use my wheel before the fall when the weather turns shitty again. But if its completely at my own expense I will consider it my duty to steer everyone who asks me away from getting one unless they want to risk random crashes from unreliable products.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, conecones said:

I commute 30km daily rain or shine so the next best option would be the 18XL/16X but it does not have the speed headroom I would like for the streets in winter (faster/larger roadways get snow cleared sooner).

I do something similar, except for the larger roadways. You are so right about the faster/larger roadways getting the snow cleared sooner. They are so tempting. However, I am not ready for speed yet; it is a no go for me for now. 

6 hours ago, conecones said:

The reason I continue to ride is less a sunk cost issue and more because the V12 is just the perfect wheel for me otherwise.

In my infinite wisdom, I decided to ride the T3. The T3 did great through heavy rainfalls. Inside the shell, everything was mint. Super clean. Everything was going great unti it didn't. After a couple weeks of snow riding, the bearings finally succumbed to the salt. I can't say I was not surprised since I was warned many times about riding in the rain. Surprisingly, it survived that. So I knew what I was getting myself into going in. I had already watched it-Monkey's video. But I had to know how far can I push it.

I concur that the V12 can be a great all weather commuter if the mosfet issue is fully resolved. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Richardo said:

Still no word on what the change to the board will be? Would love to have a part number for the new mosfet!

I asked Inmotion to share the MOSFET reference as well as electronic diagram in order for our experts to review, but they don't seem ready to share that yet.
Ideally the community could review if everything looks good on paper before mass production of these boards is started.

3 hours ago, Silverfish said:

If its a negotiation with each individual reseller then I can see why that's no so easy. Telling an owner that their store will help them before InMotion has settled on terms with the store is probably going to ruffle some feathers. 

Since there are a few key elements which appear in multiple resellers communication, we can probably assume that the terms are the same for all of them, worldwide (aside from possibly some specific exceptions which we won't hear about).

But the fact Inmotion does not come forward announcing all V12 is indeed defective, not safe to ride and need repair creates some confusion.
For instance I talked to EUCSALE this morning and despite a conversation which went very wrong in public on Facebook on the topic, it appears the owner is not comfortable announcing anything until Inmotion does first.
By doing so, he gets accused to not care about his customers, while it seems he doesn't to have to announce the bad news of a need for repair to blissfully unaware customers.

Anyway, I hope all distributors will step up and contact all their V12 customers. And we can already see that if they don't, it will be to the detriment of their reputation.

Now thumbs up to

EUCO:

euco-v12

Freemotion:

freemotion-v12

e-Rides:

erides-v12

As well as eWheels and Alien Rides seen earlier, and I'm sure many more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It's definitely an improvement on paper http://www.hunteck.com/Datasheets/HGP(B)039N15M_V1.0_090320.pdf but will require quite a bit of redesign since the TO-263 is designed to be connected to its heatsink without using bolts or screws. Gate drive likely has to change as well but hopefully that's just different Rs and Cs, maybe some diode changes.

"By the book" they probably have to redo their FCC Part B unless it's common to the HT variant.

I'm guessing this is the "more durable MOS" that was designed for the HT version and it's being adapted (firmware) to the existing wheel. I have no idea how the heatsink is going to change... you will get a drive board+heatsink as an assembly. (famous last words!)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @Cress for sharing your findings!

In the call I had with Inmotion on January 20, the R&D director described they were currently evaluating two MOSFET options from the same supplier, one 12xV and 150V.
I didn't hear or remember the name well back then but it seems to match what Jason said.

Looks good on paper too, I look forward to deep dives in the datasheet ^_^

@Tawpie yes it is expected that both V12 HS and HT will share the same board, with a different firmware.
Like speculated in the beginning, I think it was their plan all along, but I doubt anybody will confirm that.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

It's definitely an improvement on paper http://www.hunteck.com/Datasheets/HGP(B)039N15M_V1.0_090320.pdf but will require quite a bit of redesign since the TO-263 is designed to be connected to its heatsink without using bolts or screws. Gate drive likely has to change as well but hopefully that's just different Rs and Cs, maybe some diode changes.

"By the book" they probably have to redo their FCC Part B unless it's common to the HT variant.

I'm guessing this is the "more durable MOS" that was designed for the HT version and it's being adapted (firmware) to the existing wheel. I have no idea how the heatsink is going to change... you will get a drive board+heatsink as an assembly. (famous last words!)

I edited my post, above, about 30 seconds after re-reading the manufacturer's release notes.  We don't have reliable information, the best source, Inmotion, isn't releasing anything and technical information from Distributors is limited to whatever Inmotion tells Distributors.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cress said:

I edited my post, above, about 30 seconds after re-reading the manufacturer's release notes.  We don't have reliable information, the best source, Inmotion, isn't releasing anything and technical information from Distributors is limited to whatever Inmotion tells Distributors.

Thanks, I'll try to get it confirmed.
In the discussion with Inmotion R&D they mentioned at the time that it was the same package type as before (but it doesn't say it could have changed if they found a way to make it work)

Most likely we would see the TO-220 HGP039N15M then.

Edited by supercurio

32 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Got a reply from Inmotion, which opens more questions so I asked for clarification:

What I am wondering:

• Will there be different board and heatsink for V12 and V12 HT
  • Is final design not decided yet
  • Is evaluation of MOSFET still ongoing, or supply not secured yet so that would be one or the other depending on results

HY5012W(TO-247)aren't these mosfets being used on Begode 100V wheels?