First Euc. Esk8er.

So I'm coming from esk8s, and there's always a euc in group rides. They def seem more manuervable and looks fun. I know it's not a good choice to get something powerful as a starter, but I don't wanna waste money on entry level euc's. Learned my lesson with esk8, which ended up being diy with expensive parts. Going 35+ on eboards are fun, but there's no manuerverability at high speed. So far I got my eye on RS19, V12, or S18. Also anybody order from ewheels before? Seems they all require deposits for orders.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Esk8itsOver9000 said:

Also anybody order from ewheels before?

Seems to be (one of) the pioneer(s) of euc business and very reputable.

The founder @Jason McNeil was here more or less since ever, lately @WilliamG seems to has taken over the forum stuff.

Take a look at their posting history and/or try googling for

site:forum.electricunicycle.org ewheels.com

Gives "some" results ;)

5 hours ago, Esk8itsOver9000 said:

So I'm coming from esk8s, and there's always a euc in group rides. They def seem more manuervable and looks fun. I know it's not a good choice to get something powerful as a starter, but I don't wanna waste money on entry level euc's. Learned my lesson with esk8, which ended up being diy with expensive parts. Going 35+ on eboards are fun, but there's no manuerverability at high speed. So far I got my eye on RS19, V12, or S18. Also anybody order from ewheels before? Seems they all require deposits for orders.

E-wheels has always done right by me. Enough so that I became an affiliate. For me to affiliate with a group is somewhat rare. Don't let the deposit policy scare you. Jason isnt out to steal from anyone and is flexible at times.

None of the Kingsong wheels (currently) will do more than 27mph. If you intend on going upper 20's+ you really need something that can do quite a bit faster. Unlike esk8, you need lots of overhead in an euc.

Most of the standard sized and larger eucs nowadays are not really toys. Don't feel like you have to get the biggest wheel first. Perhaps aim for a wheel that has been proven reliable, is cost effective and lacks a lot of extras that simply means more maintenance. For 25mph and under, I typically suggest a ks16X or ks18L/XL. If you plan on going LONG distances and fast, you have fewer options. Dont make the mistake and assume you will end up with just ONE euc and it needs do everything. It's possible you will only have one, but not likely. My first euc was an 18L (im selling it btw) and it was a perfect learner and its still my favorite goto wheel. However, it doesnt do faster than 27mph. I also have a larger sherman, but my mten and 18XL get ridden more often. If you like to gamble and dont mind the possibility that your only wheel will be a door stop as you wait on parts, by all means buy a suspension wheel or any of the unproven new releases... (yeah I said it). Oklahoma huh? Man that sucks to hear, Im sorry for your loss. At least you wont need any wheels capable of climbing hills. I can't emphasize enough that a good used wheel is typically already proven to work, has the new knocked off it, saves you money and you wont have to wait 3-6months and hope it powers on when it arrives. Don't fall into the trap of marketing and buy the newest release, if you havent any other wheels. The liklihood of a new release wheel being problem free, is pretty low.

Plenty of postings about which wheel to buy, and its all merely opinion. You need to clarify where and how you want to use it. Also be ready to compromise in one area to excell in another.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

If ewheels isn't trustworthy, then nobody is. You can't go wrong with them!

Great choice of candidates, all fantastic wheels! Pick the one that appeals to you the most, trust your gut there. The S18 isn't as fast or high range as the other two, but it has the suspension and looks.

• Like 2

You're coming in at an odd time for EUCs through ewheels. Normally they have stock, but there have been some supply chain setbacks nearly across the board for all the brands. That's why nearly all the new wheels have a deposit you put down, and they'll give you an ETA on deliver whenever you put the deposit down. They've been waiting for.

It's hard to recommend the v12 because production models are JUST coming out now for them. So nearly anyone who'd recommend one would be talking without trying one themselves, including myself. From what the 99% of people out there know, the v12 is one of the most thoroughly vetted launches for a new wheel. But the bar has been pretty historically low on that. Usually people the chance of issues with the first wave of new wheels is higher, then these issues get ironed out. Even still, I think the v12 on paper is the best bet for you. What we know about it is of the wheels you're choosing from its smallest diameter tire, it's a simple non-suspension wheel, user friendly, and a good 'total package' type option. The other wheels have idiosyncrasies that the average new rider wouldn't care for.

In addition, it should keep its resale value quite well. This wheel has quite a lot of interest from people out there. There's a lot of brand loyalists for Inmotion. So it'll be easy to sell if you want to go a different route in the future. 

S18 is down on power, which kind of rules it out from your initial post. The RS19 sounds like it could be a contender. v12 will be better in cities where you're comboing sidewalk riding and running errands. RS19 is better as a dedicated take it out and back for fun only wheel. It looses points on convenience and maneuverability, but if that's not important to you, it puts out more power on a bigger tire. 

• Like 2

I crossed out S18 seems like first gen Suspension euc seems to have issues. Still got my eye of RS19 HS. After watching more videos the Nikola plus 100v seems like a good option too. I'd prolly try to get the Nikola AR+ version, if I went this route.

The sherman is also nice, but that price tag ouch. I could prolly sell my esk8 stuff to pay that extra 1500? Lol, damn this is going to be an expensive hobby isn't it. Seriously considering that option too.

Kinda glad stuff is backordered on these. I would've pulled the trigger on the S18 if they were in stock, just because they are astheically pleasing to look it. Please don't bash me for that, lol. Just started looking into euc 2 weeks ago so I'm treading on new territory.

I'm still uncertain on the V12, just as you said production models are not out yet. Paper specs looks good too, and they are pretty much in same price range.

Most of the backorder are coming in these next few months. Honestly I'm just waiting for one of these sites to say "In Stock", add to cart, check out, pay, completed. I'd be happy with any of these 3.

• Like 1

Don’t feel bad.. we all drool over the sexiness that is the s18 aesthetic.   The RS is a great wheel, I was looking at possibly running the HT model as my off-road rig.    As for awaiting the “in stock” appearance… give up. Wheels are made in small batches generally, and the demand outstrips the supply.   My recommendation would be the RS.  It will limit you the least IMO.  I’ve never ridden the nikola though to be fair.   
for me personally.. the RS high torque would be the choice.. but only because I’m in the Pacific Northwest and ride a lot of old logging roads, and do a lot of hill climbs, and light jumping.  
and as for trusting ewheels.  Jason and William will do everything in their power to be as forthcoming and transparent as possible.  There isn’t a company on earth I would trust more to have my best interests at heart.  I may invite them to my wedding lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esk8itsOver9000 said:

I crossed out S18...

You seem well informed. Like probably more than average person new to the game. 

So think about the needs that you want to fill and get a that ticks all or most boxes. At this point you're probably you own best advisor.

Another route to consider is to get a wheel that's very much differentiated from your endgame wheel as a learner. If you pick one that's different enough then you will always find a use for it.

Something like an MCM5v2 to play with and test the waters, then a vet Sherman. Not only does it take the bite out of the initial investment, but you'll be more certain that dropping 3k+ on a Sherman will be a more sound decision. If you proceed to getting a Sherman, then you'll have 2 well differentiated wheels: a city sidewalk smasher, best in class last mile type commuter with the mcm5, and a mile eater vet Sherman. 

• Like 3

On 6/17/2021 at 9:07 PM, Esk8itsOver9000 said:

So I'm coming from esk8s, and there's always a euc in group rides. They def seem more manuervable and looks fun.

Welcome!

I know it's not a good choice to get something powerful as a starter, but I don't wanna waste money on entry level euc's. 

Good thinking. I don't subscribe to the "starter wheel" sentiment either.

So far I got my eye on RS19, V12, or S18. Also anybody order from ewheels before? Seems they all require deposits for orders.

I crossed out S18 seems like first gen Suspension euc seems to have issues. Still got my eye of RS19 HS. After watching more videos the Nikola plus 100v seems like a good option too. I'd prolly try to get the Nikola AR+ version, if I went this route.

The sherman is also nice, but that price tag ouch. I could prolly sell my esk8 stuff to pay that extra 1500? Lol, damn this is going to be an expensive hobby isn't it. Seriously considering that option too.

We've had a ton of esk8 "defections" into EUC the past few years here amongst the NYC PEV ridership, and now they make a considerable majority of the EUC riders here now.

FWIW, when you come to a group ride here, you'll see predominantly 2 wheel models: Veteran Sherman & Gotway MSX/MSP HS (the RS19 predecessor).

The Veteran is unmatched in acceleration at higher speeds, acceleration in general, though not suited for extreme uphill power situations as a result.

The MSX/MSP line has long been a fan favorite here for the performance + versatility factor, although I haven't seen the RS pop-up too much, not sure if that's because most riders here already own an MSX or MSP. Also, this line has one of the worst shell quality, trolley handle design, and rain-resistance design (the trolley well shoots straight into the control board), so beware of that (most riders have their varieties of fixes for these). Additionally, if you are a very aggressive rider, the cooling is kinda crap on this design, particularly when you're in the dead of summer.

The Nikola is a worthy wheel as well, although the common gripes are that the shell is too wide and bulging, and the overall weight when lifting is too heavy for a 16" wheel. The performance and durability of the shell are super on the Nik though.

Kinda glad stuff is backordered on these. I would've pulled the trigger on the S18 if they were in stock, just because they are astheically pleasing to look it. Please don't bash me for that, lol. Just started looking into euc 2 weeks ago so I'm treading on new territory.

I don't blame you, it's a beautiful looking wheel, but IMHO it was dead in the water the minute the specs were released. 3 parallel packs is not enough to sustain a motor power of that size, hence why you'll see many overlean/overpower cutout incidents on socials, as well as the inevitable for sale S18 postings, as I've observed more and more.

Contrary to the slick video promo of the S18, you really cannot be as aggressive on the S18 as you can on higher parallel battery pack wheels like the Vet & RS, among others.

I'm still uncertain on the V12, just as you said production models are not out yet. Paper specs looks good too, and they are pretty much in same price range.

By now, our NYC ridership is fairly discerning on a potential next wheel. 

We pretty much across the board all hated the V12, there was relatively no talk of it after the demo. Personally, I wasn't a fan of the whole setup, and what with the InMotion speed throttling as you deplete the battery, I would much rather own a Nikola+ (which I do!) as it does not do this.

It's not that it's a bad wheel per se, but there are so many wheels I would rather own than the V12.

Edited by houseofjob

2 hours ago, Esk8itsOver9000 said:

Most of the backorder are coming in these next few months. Honestly I'm just waiting for one of these sites to say "In Stock", add to cart, check out, pay, completed. I'd be happy with any of these 3.

This can be a VERY expensive hobby. Add to it, we take a gamble with quality on each new wheel we buy, new release or not. If we buy directly from china, we even assume more financial risk. If it goes well, its a tolerably expensive hobby. If it goes poorly, its an uber expensive and aggravating transaction with very little hobby.

25-30mph on an euc is pretty quick. Tbh, my favorite speed seems to be 25-35mph, and Im coming from a  background in 200mph motocycles. Nothing wrong with enjoying a solid euc that rides you in comfort at 25mph or less. My 'learner' wheel was a basic 18L. I dont subscribe to wasting money. Even now, I still ride it ALL the time. I enjoy a tiny mten too. My wheels all look and work great still. My point is: you neednt buy a wheel thats the 'end game' as there is no 'end game' wheel. You also neednt buy a piece of crap that you KNOW won't last. So what my mten only does 16mph. Its a freaking blast to ride. So what my 18xl only does 27mph, its a blast to ride. So what my sherm weighs 80lbs, I can damn near ride it! None were a waste of money and I havent outgrown any of them either.

I think the hype around the s18 was because it looks badass and was one of the first suspension wheels. A lot of people like it, but then again, a lot of people have absolutely no use for it. Just goes to show, you cant judge a book by its cover. Specs lie, but a ride test doesnt. Mine sold quickly tho! Tis good to know, if you get a wheel you don't like, someone else will probably take it off your hands for minimal losses.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Guess that crosses, V12 off the list too. If the NYC guys don't like them, that says alot. I lives in NYC few years ago, those guys out there are definitely a force to be reckon with. I did a few night group rides when I lived there, we were like 30+ deep every group ride. Was definitely fun times, when boosted boards were all the craze.

My surroundings have changed drastically, here in Oklahoma. More dirt road and what not. Also pondered the idea of an electric go kart and how much fun that would be. That's just not practical or portable, but would be fun nonetheless.

Not much city riding here, kinda dangerous actually if you ride in the wrong parts. I stick mainly to areas I know, been chased by dogs, teenagers try to rob my board, typical crap.

Always nice to have something that people can't catch you on. Got chased and bit on the leg by a dog once, just because my board was slow. Now I easily outrun those damn ankle biters, hence why I prefer 30+mph. That experience pretty much traumatized me. Now if I see or hear I dog I'm full throttle outta there. 

Guess I'm getting a rs19 or Nikolai plus, which ever is in stock first. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Esk8itsOver9000 Also, FWIW, I keep hearing good things about the EX.N here, although I have yet to try, much more than I hear about the RS.

Isn't that same price range as sherman, 3k+? I'm pretty much looking at 2-2.5k price range budget. I guess what you'd consider mid level euc. Those 3k+ are like the bmw's of the euc world. 

2 minutes ago, Esk8itsOver9000 said:

Isn't that same price range as sherman, 3k+? I'm pretty much looking at 2-2.5k price range budget. I guess what you'd consider mid level euc. Those 3k+ are like the bmw's of the euc world. 

Ah, I'm not in the market for one so didn't realize. 

Yes, then RS, Nikola+, these would be considered mid-level I guess, can't go wrong either way I think.

Try not to equate price with level of quality. Most of the price we see is related to battery size and overall power. SOME is related to build quality, but the differences between mid priced and top priced, can be nill, or even reverse of what you expect. Youll find that at any given price, the battery sizes and power is similar between brands. One of my less expensive wheels is superior to the others, in build and layout. Of course, cheap is cheap, so there is a low limit when they all become similarly crappy (with various exclusions). I guess what Im getting at is the price is a hard factor to use when it comes to quality and reliability.

Unless you HAVE to have a long range to keep up with group rides, a lesser weight wheel can be a benefit. Maybe it makes me sound lame, but speakers on a daily cruiser wheel is GREAT! Being able to toss a wheel in a car seat is nice too. I couldnt imagine having to tote an 80lb wheel up and down stairs all day. Oklahoma is flat anyhow. If you're near the drug transportation hub of the mid-west (OKC), I'd be leery of riding around on too much money. As for dogs... maybe a loud ass beeper/horn and some mace? Some people carry knives and tire thumpers in those parts as well. It would be dicey to try and run from much on an euc. I find that pressing speeds up while nervous, is tough when limited to road conditions as the euc is capable of managing. 1 curb or pothole at 30mph could be a REAL eye opener. Of course, you're an e-sk8er, I aint telling you nuthin you dont already know in spades...:D

Edited by ShanesPlanet

12 hours ago, Esk8itsOver9000 said:

which ever is in stock first. 

That might be a very long time… at least from a reputable dealer (after the sale support is a BIG deal). I say pick your poison and get a deposit in. eWheels will transfer your deposit to another wheel if things change, send them an email to confirm.

Used is a solid option and worthy of consideration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

That might be a very long time… at least from a reputable dealer (after the sale support is a BIG deal). I say pick your poison and get a deposit in. eWheels will transfer your deposit to another wheel if things change, send them an email to confirm.

Used is a solid option and worthy of consideration.

Most sites are saying End of June, July, August. Some sites have nikola plus in stock just don't know yet, the more I research, the more picky I'm getting. 2-3k is alot to spend on a hobby, so I want to get the right one.

On the plus side I just sold a bunch of my old esk8 gear today to add to my euc funds. My first esk8 lack power, bought custom parts, built the board I wanted after 3k+. I know EUC are different in terms of the DIY aspect. That's why I just want to get one😁.

This will literally cost more then the car I bought last month for 2k🤯. I'll be 40 next year, and been riding my electric skateboard 4yrs now, and it always brings me joy. 

Ready to move on to the next stage EUCs! Hope these shipment get in stock soon, have a road trip planned for Florida in August. Would love to bring a euc and ride down there.

• Like 1

E-wheels is awesome!

6 hours ago, Esk8itsOver9000 said:

Most sites are saying End of June, July, August. Some sites have nikola plus in stock just don't know yet, the more I research, the more picky I'm getting. 2-3k is alot to spend on a hobby, so I want to get the right one.

On the plus side I just sold a bunch of my old esk8 gear today to add to my euc funds. My first esk8 lack power, bought custom parts, built the board I wanted after 3k+. I know EUC are different in terms of the DIY aspect. That's why I just want to get one😁.

This will literally cost more then the car I bought last month for 2k🤯. I'll be 40 next year, and been riding my electric skateboard 4yrs now, and it always brings me joy. 

Ready to move on to the next stage EUCs! Hope these shipment get in stock soon, have a road trip planned for Florida in August. Would love to bring a euc and ride down there.

Don't feel badly. I still drive a 1992 camry with nearly 400k miles. It cost less than my Ks18xl (used) and I bought the car 14 years ago. Wife drives a 1998 honda civic and it cost less than my sherman by far. We dont do nice cars, as the rain washes old ones better. We also have suicidal deer and nearby teenagers in the city. You'r pissin away money if you buy a nice car around here. No need to keep up with the Jones' for us.

You may be happy to find that there isnt much DIY needed on an euc. They are quite simple devices and they definitely arent made to be upgraded easily. One of the things i like about mine is... power them up and go ride. No oil changes, no tinkering wit lights. They just work! You do realize you can get a damn fine wheel used for easily under $1500 right? 3 of my 5 wheels came used and EVERY ONE of them works just as good as my new ones. If you want a new from e-wheels, you may want to get a deposit in. With how things are going (people getting free fake money and batteries in short supply), it would hurt to wait to buy then find they were all gone again...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Well, made my mind up guys. Official part of the EUC family. Esk8 --> EUC. Was torn between new batch S18, RS19, and Nikola+ 100v. But got my order in today for RS19 HS, like 17 in stock in San Diego. Hope it gets here quick. 

Edited by Esk8itsOver9000
Update
  • Like 1

Just dropped off by ups. Came in 5 days. Cali to Midwest. Glad it's the updated lcd screen version. First ever euc!

20210626-143851

20210626-144113

Ready to go on the first maiden voyage. Unfortunately, postponed due to thunderstorms all week. Guess I'll practice in the house.😭

20210626-151847

• Like 2