New rider - should I downgrade from KS18XL?

celi

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

Stick with the 18xl.

This this and THIS! :thumbup:

I'm not exactly new and the 18l was my learner. Its still my goto for normal everyday comfort cruise. Well, I ride an 18xl as a recent 'upgrade'. You aint too small for an 18. Just as a little 5 yr old aint to small for a 14" wheel. Do the math and youll realize that its not a problem for a light rider to ride a normal or even heavy wheel. Small people are putting a sherman and a monster into the wind. Just keep at it. 3 days? It took me MUCH longer to gain any comfort. Hell, 3 days was when things just began to get really sore. Stick with the 18xl, tell him 'you got this' and enjoy one of the most comfortable and reliable wheels for street atm.

Welcome to the nuthouse! Enjoy your journey into the virus that is the euc. Its YOUR sickness, so YOU get to deal with how to handle it! There is NO cure, but riding a lot and having multiple wheels, seems to help some...

*fwiw, I'm barely 62kg and once I'm rolling, even an 80lb sherman doesnt seem TOO heavy. Its all in how you ride...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, celi said:

I'm female, 5'4, about 55kg. I am slowly learning on the kingsong 18xl, but by day 3 I was able to ride well for almost a minute. My husband is convinced that a KS16S will be better for me. I don't find the 18 to be too large or uncomfortable and I am convinced I just need more time since I am literally just a beginner. Maybe I could learn faster on a 16, but I feel I will outgrow it. I am quite strong for my size and the weight of the wheel isn't a concern for me. 

My concern with downgrading is I feel I will outgrow it quickly. Each day I am improving so that's a good sign to me. I thought about the KS16X to keep the power of the 18xl, but what's the point if I'm feeling good on the 18.

Any thoughts or advice? 

My spouse @HelRider is your size or even a little smaller. She rides a V10F and sometimes has tried my former 18XL and didn't find it too big. At first she thought it was, but just maybe 20 kilometres was enough to get used to it. I would say keep it. Might not be the most perfectly optimal size for you but 16S would absolutely get too small very soon. It wouldn't be as stable or as comfortable. 

18XL is not the optimal learning wheel for you but it's totally possible to learn with it. After you have learned to ride that wheel is an excellent option for comfortable cruising. It's also very safe and reliable wheel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

This this and THIS! :thumbup:

I'm not exactly new and the 18l was my learner. Its still my goto for normal everyday comfort cruise. Well, I ride an 18xl as a recent 'upgrade'. You aint too small for an 18. Just as a little 5 yr old aint to small for a 14" wheel. Do the math and youll realize that its not a problem for a light rider to ride a normal or even heavy wheel. Small people are putting a sherman and a monster into the wind. Just keep at it. 3 days? It took me MUCH longer to gain any comfort. Hell, 3 days was when things just began to get really sore. Stick with the 18xl, tell him 'you got this' and enjoy one of the most comfortable and reliable wheels for street atm.

Welcome to the nuthouse! Enjoy your journey into the virus that is the euc. Its YOUR sickness, so YOU get to deal with how to handle it! There is NO cure, but riding a lot and having multiple wheels, seems to help some...

*fwiw, I'm barely 62kg and once I'm rolling, even an 80lb sherman doesnt seem TOO heavy. Its all in how you ride...

Brilliant thank you! Damn is it ever a virus lol

Nice to hear it took you longer than 3 days to gain comfort. I keep seeing and hearing about people who get it in an hour or less (like my hubby) so thank you for that mention. This is just the coolest thing and am ridicuously obsessed.

52 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

My spouse @HelRider is your size or even a little smaller. She rides a V10F and sometimes has tried my former 18XL and didn't find it too big. At first she thought it was, but just maybe 20 kilometres was enough to get used to it. I would say keep it. Might not be the most perfectly optimal size for you but 16S would absolutely get too small very soon. It wouldn't be as stable or as comfortable. 

18XL is not the optimal learning wheel for you but it's totally possible to learn with it. After you have learned to ride that wheel is an excellent option for comfortable cruising. It's also very safe and reliable wheel. 

Thank you this is really helpful!

• Like 3

It's funny because I frequently feel that the 18XL is a bit on the large size for me (at least in terms of mass) because I prefer a more nimble responsiveness. But if you are feeling like you like the big wheel then stay on it until you have either mastered it or when you want to try out another size.

I hope you keep posting because I have purely selfish reasons. :lol: I routinely think that wheel size should best match the rider for comfort and control. It would be very interesting to hear your experiences because you seemingly don't fit that idea.  :)

• Like 3

Yes like everyone says; stick to the 18XL. It’s a balanced, reliable and capable wheel, and your weight ratio isn’t an issue. I weight 70Kg for a 35Kg Sherman and would do it again any time.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, celi said:

I appreciate all the feedback, this is awesome!

Decidedly NOT downsizing. mrelwood mentioned leg height...hits below my knee so I'm good there. Top tip! 

Today was day 4 for me and daaaammmn this wheel is amazing! I'm able to ride for a good 5 mins now. This is exhilarating :w00t2: I managed to cross multiple different terrains including grass, gravel and asphalt. Also did some small hills and experienced my first unexpected big dip in the grass (basically a large hole..). Had to jump off the wheel, but we both survived :thumbup:

Euc's are insanely coooool!!

Thanks again guys for your wisdom! I'll be back to learn more:efeeec645d:

It aint even been 5 days and you already realize you can ride it. And here you are complaining about how long its taking?   'its easy' 'everyone can ride'   yeah, and my government won't raise taxes either. It took me weeks to ride and even after 18months, its still not as automatic as breathing. I do find it odd that people claim its so damn easy, then suit up in a bubble and eventually release a vid or make a post about them falling off...  

Too many youtube stars that use the magic of editting to make them appear flawless imho...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

It aint even been 5 days and you already realize you can ride it. And here you are complaining about how long its taking?   'its easy' 'everyone can ride'   yeah, and my government won't raise taxes either. It took me weeks to ride and even after 18months, its still not as automatic as breathing. I do find it odd that people claim its so damn easy, then suit up in a bubble and eventually release a vid or make a post about them falling off...  

Too many youtube stars that use the magic of editting to make them appear flawless imho...

I admit I kinda hoped I would learn in like an hour...I'm not totally naive though lol The pros on you tube do make it LOOK easy, but I definitely didn't expect it to BE easy. I didn't realize that learning in 4 days might be impressive...😎 Still got more learning to do:cheers:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, celi said:

I admit I kinda hoped I would learn in like an hour...I'm not totally naive though lol The pros on you tube do make it LOOK easy, but I definitely didn't expect it to BE easy. I didn't realize that learning in 4 days might be impressive...😎 Still got more learning to do:cheers:

IN an hour? Wow!  I had a goal of learning to ride to my local gas station within the end of an entire season. My goal was reasonable enough that I never once felt like I was taking too long. Case in point: I bought my wheel used with 10 miles on it. I guess someone else thought it would be easier too. I think it took me about 2 months to gather the courage for a gas station trip and it was NOT the safest trip. I think I filmed it. I reached that goal WAY before I had hoped and made myself another 'reasonable' goal. I'd imagine that your goals are set higher, as you are near someone who can already ride. That, or you simply keep watching too many 'pro' videos. I think its an ego thing, tis why a LOT of people fear to admit it wasnt a 1hr ordeal to learn. Of course, SOME people do learn fast. What you dont hear about: the people who never learned and sold a good wheel with zilch for miles. Im just a slow damn learner with sh*t balance it seems. I'm lucky as there's nobody here with an euc, so as far as I'm concerned, I AM good. Well, good enough for the group rides of me and my wife on a scooter.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

IN an hour? Wow!  I had a goal of learning to ride to my local gas station within the end of an entire season. My goal was reasonable enough that I never once felt like I was taking too long. Case in point: I bought my wheel used with 10 miles on it. I guess someone else thought it would be easier too. I think it took me about 2 months to gather the courage for a gas station trip and it was NOT the safest trip. I think I filmed it. I reached that goal WAY before I had hoped and made myself another 'reasonable' goal. I'd imagine that your goals are set higher, as you are near someone who can already ride. That, or you simply keep watching too many 'pro' videos. I think its an ego thing, tis why a LOT of people fear to admit it wasnt a 1hr ordeal to learn. Of course, SOME people do learn fast. What you dont hear about: the people who never learned and sold a good wheel with zilch for miles. Im just a slow damn learner with sh*t balance it seems. I'm lucky as there's nobody here with an euc, so as far as I'm concerned, I AM good. Well, good enough for the group rides of me and my wife on a scooter.

Oh yeah...waaaay too many videos. But I gotta say it's helped me learn. Watching how those guys move their bodies to get what they want out of the wheel is pretty incredible.

And to clarify, my husband and I are both complete beginners. Just in our case, hubby set the standard by catching on super fast. 

It's harder than I thought, I admit, but I became super determined to learn. And now that I know how much work is involved, I'm impressed with anyone who sticks with it, regardless of skill level. 

• Like 3

On 6/13/2021 at 12:25 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Damn, I am late to this party! It looks like a fun one. I add my welcome also @celi.

On 6/13/2021 at 1:46 PM, celi said:

This is just the coolest thing and am ridiculously obsessed.  ...  This is exhilarating :w00t2:  ...  Euc's are insanely coooool!!  ...  It's harder than I thought, I admit, but I became super determined to learn.

I see another innocent bystander has fallen into the EUC wormhole that takes us to a dimension where there is no escape. Maybe someday far into the future you can ride out of it ... maybe.

Congratulation! You are now ... one of us ... one of us ... :cry2:  :o  :unsure:  :huh:  :blink1:  :facepalm:  :crying::efee8319ab:  :eff034a94a:  :efeeec645d:  :laughbounce2:

Edited by Scottie
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 10:26 PM, celi said:

Wilma's a little beat up though. 

It sounds like "Wilma" is the name you gave your 18XL ... true? I have heard of people naming their cars. And there are a few of us here that think about our wheels similarly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

It sounds like "Wilma" is the name you gave your 18XL ... true? I have heard of people naming their cars. And there are a few of us here that think about our wheels similarly.

Haha true! She's my Wilma Wheel:D

• Like 2