Help removing stuck hex threaded insert in pedal

AtlasP

Trying to remove pedals on my 100v Nik+ to do a tire change and some other maintenance, and one of the hex threaded inserts won't budge which means I can't get it out or the pedal off. (Other side came off fine.)

• Broke first allen wrench. Applying excessive force to second one just starts it to warp and/or twist such that I'm pretty sure I could just keep snapping them off and/or there's the fear of stripping the socket.
  • Tried heat. (From hairdryer, don't have torch.)
  • Tried excessive vibrating of pedal using a car buffer to try to get the pin to fall out the other/open side so I could at least remove pedal--no dice/no real way to get purchase on pin to remove.

Any ideas?

(My ultimate fear would be having to destroy & replace the whole damn pedal while trying not to destroy the pedal hanger or more in the process.)

Full set of involved components from other side: https://ibb.co/pQSTJh7

Edited by AtlasP

You will need to apply heat to the area from a propane torch or a high wattage soldering gun. A hair dryer does not produce enough heat to soften any locktite that is possibly on the threads. 

I used a torch on my S18 hex nuts to soften the locktite. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

impact force goes a long way towards breaking seized fasteners loose,

if the impact wont damage anything nearby, try to set a drift punch at the bottom of the hex hole and give it a few solid hits,

Penetrating oil also helps, let it soak in for about a half hour at least.

As previously stated, a real hex socket also helps

If the hex bore is chowdered, some valve grinding compound can help you get some traction.

Good luck

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wrench it until it comes off or breaks

or put another way...

If it doesn't work, FORCE IT.
    if it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

(It's how my better half views the world, and it's worked out... I get to learn how to fix a lot more things than I would have)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Allen wrench socket attached to a T-handle spinner and a wooden hammer solved a similar problem on my MSP. Needs to be a Hulk Smash to really matter... learned that one from my wife via cordless land line phones.

On 6/8/2021 at 12:57 AM, gon2fast said:

Allen wrench socket attached to a T-handle spinner and a wooden hammer solved a similar problem on my MSP. Needs to be a Hulk Smash to really matter... learned that one from my wife via cordless land line phones.

I've found that using constant and increasing torque is a LOT safer and less likely to break things, than blunt force. True, using a punch and hammering the pin itself for vibrational shock to aid in breaking it free, is common. However, I wouldnt make it a practice to use a striking force, better to get a longer bar and slowly apply leverage.

1 hour ago, m365ww said:

If you can't get access to a heat gun, one alternative may be to drill a small hole thru the center of the stuck hex set screw.  Then get a pin thru this small hole and use it to knock out the shaft.  Hope this works for you and you can reuse the pedal.

Heat guns push so much air and this is such a small location, even a torch is a little iffy. Good point on drilling thru to hammer the pin free. One may find that once a hole is drilled thru or just halfway, the allen will lossen. Party because the hole allows it to flex into itself and partly becuase of the heat generated on the allen itself. I oiled my pins and allen bolts when reinstalling.

• Like 2