Newb question about wobble king song 16s

Guest d0n

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

And still an energy drink of poison? Give up all that good stuff but not the worst offender. No worries, I had twice as much candy, twice as much alcohol and no energy drinks. The universe is STILL in balance!

There's not much difference between 31mph and 40mph. Once on an Euc, they are both well beyond the point of crash being a serious problem. There's a HUGE difference between lugging around an exceptionally heavy euc, and riding around on a bike with extra ponies you don't tap in to. I also used to ride a larger bike and it was wonderful. Of course, that was when I wasnt having to push it anywhere. I didnt enjoy my bigger bikes much when in traffic or walking it thru parking lots, for sure!   At any rate, you'll end up with more than one wheel, so the order in which you purchase them, only matters to the pocketbook and learning curve ;)

If i had to keep only ONE wheel, it would still be my 18XL. Its just light enough, goes just fast enough(kind of), costs 1/3 the price of my sherman and will take a fall more gracefully. Add that its my comfort wheel with speakers... yeah, its a keeper. I ride my sherman often, but I hate luggin it into the car. Its a nightmare to carry stairs, and its a little intimidating to pedestrians. Fwiw, Im internally regulated at 26mph (actual top speed -1mph on the 18XL) and its a nice clip. Im internally NOT regulated by speed on the sherman. It wont be long before I also become a meat crayon. In short, I ride the 18XL for comfort and enjoyment. Its an easy weight to ride around at 2mph-26mph and doesnt fight me when I make rash decisions in direction. It goes a LONG time too. I ride my sherman when I want to blast at high speeds and have little inclination of being below 10mph much at all. Hell, I JUST got back from riding a shem down the street and got lulled into racing a minivan. WIth great power comes great lack of responsibility.... so sayeth confucious.

Haha this is all awesome. I understand the need for a few different EUCs and the need to sometimes race a minivan on one! LOL! 26mph wouldn't do it for me, I'm afraid. I'd want more MPH in a week or 2. In the RV hobby, they say... "buy your last RV, first". I think EUC's might fall under that quote for some people? It kind of makes sense even though the learning curve piloting a 45' RV (or an 80lb Vsherman) as a 1st rig would be daunting.

I just came back in from riding about 6 miles. Most of it was at walking speed, in and out of the rain gutters next to the street... a great way to practice balance it seems. I'm getting used to the gear. 

My energy drink of choice is XS from Amway. It's got 4900% daily amount of b12. Yes 4900%. 

IMG_20210705_195709__01f.jpg

Edited by d0n

37 minutes ago, d0n said:

Haha this is all awesome. I understand the need for a few different EUCs and the need to sometimes race a minivan on one! LOL! 26mph wouldn't do it for me, I'm afraid. I'd want more MPH in a week or 2. In the RV hobby, they say... "buy your last RV, first". I think EUC's might fall under that quote for some people? It kind of makes sense even though the learning curve piloting a 45' RV (or an 80lb Vsherman) as a 1st rig would be daunting.

I just came back in from riding about 6 miles. Most of it was at walking speed, in and out of the rain gutters next to the street... a great way to practice balance it seems. I'm getting used to the gear. 

IMG_20210705_195709__01f.jpg

I think you are underestimating how the NEED FOR SPEED, tends to grab us from time to time. Since you're already suited up for a full on war, you may as well get the tank. I'd say your role will be heavy artillery, rather than basic support staff. Even tho my fav wheel is a general purpose wheel, you prolly should just go with a sherm or similar. You already know how to ride, so the learning curve has been beaten down anyhow.

You do realize that wearing those shorts is throwing away ALL your cool points?:D Only thing that takes those cool points away faster, is if us older people respond at all to the teenagers when they marvel at how 'cool' we are.

I have way cooler :smartass: looking Klim pants but it's so damn hot here in Ga! I don't wear em often. I don't wear those knee pads anymore either. They fall down. 

IMG_20210604_144558.thumb.jpg.42ed1fd323ac89c456a43f60bb988af9.jpg

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Only thing that takes those cool points away faster, is if us older people respond at all to the teenagers when they marvel at how 'cool' we are.

Yay! I remain cool! I don’t tend to bother being the reason though. I guess that’s cool then, eh?

I hope I didn’t come out as dissing the Shermy too much. It’s a fine wheel in it’s own right, but the low pedals are already an instant non-compatibility factor for my off-road heavy riding. Even with higher pedals, it’d just be one contender next to a slew of other fine wheels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Yay! I remain cool! I don’t tend to bother being the reason though. I guess that’s cool then, eh?

I hope I didn’t come out as dissing the Shermy too much. It’s a fine wheel in it’s own right, but the low pedals are already an instant non-compatibility factor for my off-road heavy riding. Even with higher pedals, it’d just be one contender next to a slew of other fine wheels.

I'm sure I come off as ANTI-Sherman at times. With all the hype about the heaviest and most expensive being 'the best', it's our duty to bring up the unpleasant reality that the sherm also has its share of compromises. Offroad wheel? Yeah, the sherm aint one of those.  I honestly don't think that price and quality go hand in hand in the euc game. There's just so much damn misconception about wheels as a LOT of people own just one and OF COURSE they think theirs is the best. Its also a kick to the lower berries for some, when they hear anything negative about a beloved wheel they are drooling over or had just purchased. I had the pleasure of trying an mcm5 and a nikola recently. BOTH seemed damn fine as well. DIfferent flavors but still good choices. Basically, there's numerous choices for each intent and if you patron a good used or reliable retailer, you have little to worry.

Hopefully I don't appear TOO negative, but thats just how my outlook on things tends to be. I am happy when I have something to bitch about, thats for sure. For you @d0n, you dont seem like a green little kid that doesnt understand the game of risk and the temptation of adrenaline. Being a second wheel, perhaps the Sherman IS the one for you. The biggest fear of people giving up for a tough learning curve, is not a worry of yours. Yes, the sherm is like a damn goldwing at slow speeds. But, us big bike riders also understand the concept of being a dog in parking lots, equals being a dream on highways. The sherman is kind of that dog. Its definitely manueverable, but if anyone claims its as flickable as an 18XL or smaller, they are only fooling themselves or lying. There is NO magic here. Tech is damn near the same across ALL wheels, and if you can ignore bias and think about the specs LOGICALLY, the asnwer you come up with is going to be the answer. The only smoke and mirrors is when you listen to paid reviewers or try to decipher Chinglish from the profiteers that build them. I can say this for a fact.. The sherman with a pirelli angel 80/80/14 is so similar to a motorcycle in its ride, its eerily wonderful. If you are primarily street and are familiar with quality motorcycle tires, you owe it to yourself to buy a pirelli (oddly cheap too) and then thank me profusely for the suggestion.

Atlanta is so damn hot, i would also rather be a geek than just melt. Good looking kit you got there D0n! No way I'm traveling from my slice of heaven to your piece of scorched earth. However, riding with other people and helping them along the learning curve is fun. I'd be very happy to meet you nearer asheville and we can play like kids at some random town or park. Its about time for another random ShanesPlanet sighting anyhow.  Apologies for being long winded, but that's kinda my thing around here. Thanks for sharing your concern and experiences so far D0n! Keep us posted and the offer of coming all the way up here to ride at ShanesPlanet stands...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

Aw, man! Shane, this is already what, the third time you win the Official Best Factual-Supportive Posting Reward this year! Come on now, leave some for us semi-illiterate ordinary folks as well, please!

:cheers:

• Like 1

Shane - I do need to get up there and visit the pinball museum/s in asheville. I hear there's at least one really good one! When I do come, I'll let u know and bring my euc. Thanks for the invite. 

Speaking of Goldwings... I do love me a goldwing! This is my brothers 2017. It was a blast to ride when he visited from Maine last fall. It growls like a sportbike and eats up highway miles like a cadillac. I was very impressed. 

I researched the V12 and it looks pretty awesome. It's price point is easier to justify than the vsherman for sure. 

118949882_3620653927958215_2650334652230095274_n.jpg

When practicing lately, I try to do plenty of circles and slow stuff. Riding straight at 10-20mph is easy. It's the slow stuff and the maneuvering that's difficult.

Short video from last night

If you watch the following video you'll see some dirtbag trying to get into my truck at 330am. :o

Edited by d0n

21 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If you want a much more refined riding experience, I think you should check the Inmotion V12 very closely.

Hey thanks. After much research, I pulled the trigger on a V12 today. It appears to be just what I need! The $500 deposit is paid. I guess they'll ship in August sometime. By then, I should be riding like a veteran on my ks16s >;-) 

3 hours ago, d0n said:

Hey thanks. After much research, I pulled the trigger on a V12 today. It appears to be just what I need! The $500 deposit is paid. I guess they'll ship in August sometime. By then, I should be riding like a veteran on my ks16s >;-) 

Wow, congrats! It really does seem like the most advanced wheel atm, I’m sure you’ll be very happy to finally get the upgrade in the fall!

On 6/5/2021 at 1:03 PM, d0n said:

And yes I rode it about 10' the first time I tried it! I was kind of surprised that riding a real unicycle 30 years ago helps ride an EUC so much now. :clap3: I think that's why I am catching on so quick? I was riding to the end of the street within the first 10 mins. It was too hot with all the gear on so I stopped. I'll try again tonight. Super excited. I needed something new and fun in my life to do. 

I learned to ride a traditional unicycle during my Junior High School days (wanted to impress a certain girl so I learned and rode it to school - massive fail - no girl but I learned how to ride).  Knowing how certainly helped me learn EUC -  I too was surprised when I just got on it a rode down the street!!!  I don't think it would be that easy for a EUC rider to transition the other way..........JMHO..... Enjoy!!!!

10 hours ago, UniBlab said:

massive fail  

I don't think it would be that easy for a EUC rider to transition the other way..........JMHO..... Enjoy!!!!

Sounds like a win not a fail to me! 

I agree about an EUC rider transitioning to a pedal unicycle. Learning a to ride real unicycle was HARD to learn! Especially, since back then (early 90's for me) there were no youtube videos, no forums to get advice or reassurance from or FB to link you up with other like minded people... in person. No internet! Can you imagine?! haha. Terrible. 

I'm showing my age huh?! LOL

7 minutes ago, d0n said:

Especially, since back then (early 90's for me) there were no youtube videos, no forums to get advice or reassurance from or FB to link you up with other like minded people... in person. No internet!

There might not of been youtube videos but there was internet and bulletin board systems (BBS) which served a similar function and had been running for ages even in the early 1990's. Finding things was quite tough as I don't remember there being search engines at that time - I think we had to go to a server then list the interest groups on that server. I don't recall ever seeing one on unicycles though. I remember using the first browser and thinking that this would be game changing when there was a bit more content.

1 minute ago, mike_bike_kite said:

There might not of been youtube videos but there was internet and bulletin board systems 

That's true. I think it was the introduction of Windows 95 and AOL expanding that made "internet" possible for us "regular folks". AOL WAS the internet for many non-techies back in the 90's.

9 hours ago, d0n said:

Sounds like a win not a fail to me! 

I'm showing my age huh?! LOL

My motives were all wrong - trying to impress a girl!!! What was I thinking :innocent1:.....Do they even have Junior High schools any more? Now my age is showing......

Me: She's totally going to dig me and my unicycle.....

Girl: A nerd on a unicycle - be still my beating heart - said no one ever! He'll fall long before I do, I swear...........

• Like 2

13 hours ago, d0n said:

That's true. I think it was the introduction of Windows 95 and AOL expanding that made "internet" possible for us "regular folks". AOL WAS the internet for many non-techies back in the 90's.

expanded thru a billion little free discs for AOL, that could be found at most parties as coasters, frisbees and wall art. Freaking dial up modem sound STILL haunts me.

Fwiw, the pinball museum is a good way to kill an hour or two. Its nice to just pay up front and play play play. I would suggest visiting during non-peak hours or days tho. Its not much fun being uber crowded and waiting in line. Its a pretty small place, but brings back memories for sure. Live music and good beer is the big reason for Asheville, imho.  Asheville is HORRID for traffic and sh*t for euc riding. At best its Mten on the sidewalk territory. Better riding is to go to a random town during the day. A town where there isnt much going on :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UniBlab said:

My motives were all wrong - trying to impress a girl!!!

What do you mean “wrong”?! Isn’t that the most natural of all human motives?? At least that’s why I… oh well, never mind.

Edited by mrelwood

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

What do you mean “wrong”?! Isn’t that the most natural of all human motives?? At least that’s why I… oh well, never mind.

Hahaha I was just being facetious!!!!  For those of us that went to public school that means I was joking (I also attended public school btw :D)

Of course I had all but the best intentions for the young lady and my growing libido!!!

• Like 1

Oh Yeah, back to the original question posed by the OP; What helped me most with controlling the wobbles d0n - try squeezing your euc tightly between your legs - wow this thread is already 4 pages long - someone had to have suggested this - I'm getting old and my memory is short!  If that is a repeat suggestion I apologize (right now I'm too lazy to go back and review the past pages).  Good luck and never give up!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UniBlab said:

Oh Yeah, back to the original question posed by the OP; What helped me most with controlling the wobbles d0n - try squeezing your euc tightly between your legs - wow this thread is already 4 pages long - someone had to have suggested this - I'm getting old and my memory is short!  If that is a repeat suggestion I apologize (right now I'm too lazy to go back and review the past pages).  Good luck and never give up!!!

And Ironically, I would suggest the exact opposite. Loosen the stance, quit grabbing and change posture or weight shift in a very minor manner. I used to grab REALLY tightly during wobbles, it just seems natural. Somehow over time, I quit doing that.  Strokes for folks for sure!

• Like 2

Yeah, as a beginner I tried the squeeze thing and it work......for a while any way.  As I improved I loosened up just as you've stated - it's the only way to ride!!!  All loose relaxed and flowing - Freedom!!!

• Like 1

Tightening the grip might work at slower speeds, as it stabilizes your legs which are the ones causing the wobble. But higher speed wobbles that are not as obviously rider induced do get worse from squeezing, as it tenses the riders legs.

Leaning on the wheel on one leg only though kills the possibility for the wheel to oscillate, no matter what the root cause was, for beginners and experienced riders alike, and at slow as well as fast speeds.