Newb question about wobble king song 16s

Guest d0n

49 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If you can get your hands on a dallas jacket, I'd reccomend.

I had not run across that option.  I'll check it out.  Would it be better to get D30 pads for the shoulders?  I like the idea of elbow pads in a shirt or coat but see a potential issue of incompatibility with the long Flexmeter wrist guards.

Wrists don't interfere with elbows typically. I get d30 for elbows/shoulders/back and keep it to use in cheaper jackets that come with 'other' types. Think of wrists as gloves in the sense that you pull them on last. I can't comment on tight fitting armor like long johns. Seems it would be warm, but I really have no idea.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

13 hours ago, d0n said:

mrelwood... thanks! So, my toes need to be quite a bit farther forward on the foot pads then?

Definitely! It could help if you hold on to something and just stand stationary on the wheel for a moment. Can you stand both upright and relaxed like you do on solid ground?

13 hours ago, d0n said:

I think I will need a Vsherman soon! I've nearly maxed out the MPH on this already, without feeling incredibly unsafe. Originally, I thought that going 22mph on an EUC was crazy but now I see it's just a starting point. 

Just remember that you will be a beginner for hundreds of miles, you don’t have controlled (if any) emergency braking skills, you are on a new vehicle without the experiences on how it handles on various regulations of the road or how others react to you.

Personally I don’t think pushing 22mph at this point is something you should be doing, as there are still basics for you to learn first. And even after that the skills need to become automatic as you clock in the experiences.

I know my story is far from a guide, but just as a reference, on my first wheel I rode 2000 joyful miles in 6 months at 16mph top speed. Then 5000 miles in a year with the 16S before getting a larger and faster wheel.

• Like 2

I also second Mr.Elwoods advice about NOT grabbing the wheel with your legs. Try to bend the knees a little more and ride loose. It will feel a little bowlegged in compare to what you are TRYING to do. RIding loose IS the better answer to keeping those wobbles from getting WORSE. I still wobble from time to time, but a loose stance and being used to the feeling, makes them a non-event and just part of the game.

He's also spot on about foot placement. Try riding with the toes barely off the front where the balls of the feet are near the edge. You should be able to stand comfortable upright (knees bent) and not go forwards or back. The middle of your foot is just in front of where the middle of your balance should be. Resist the urge to curl your toes under to grab onto the pedal.

I also agree that you probably are getting a little 'over-confident' a bit. 20mph doesnt seem fast, but its fast enough to NOT run it out. Can you brake HARD from top speed and keep it under control? How is your emergency swerve at that speed? You may need a larger wheel soon, but don't just assume the Sherman is what will fit the bill. Tbh, my sherm gets ridden LESS than my other two wheels. Most times you jst really may not need to go faster than 25-30mph to have a great time, and lugging 80lbs on your leg isnt exactly fun. Need we even mention the cost and how long to get parts should you come off it.

Take your time and enjoy what you have. If you arent having fun on it, perhaps youre trying TOO hard and looking TOO far into the future. Relax, learn to dance on that wheel a bit. Ride it backwards, play some gentler music. The rush was to get a first wheel. You're already in the game now, no need to race the clock.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 10:11 PM, CarlW said:

I'm in North Carolina so I can imagine the heat and humidity issues when combined with protective gear.  For helmets I think EUC folks lean towards full face Mountain bike helmets that are lighter, and have lots of venting holes.  dOn you probably know more about protective clothing than me.  I was thinking this Forcefield product with level 2 D30 pads with some type of highly breathable mesh might be a decent choice for me.  I was thinking it would be something I could where a t-shirt over.  For wrist guards and knee pads I'm leaning towards Demon products. 

https://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/pro-xv2-air-range 

I like that forcefield ballistic jersey but it's pretty expensive! I have the earlier version (EVS G5) of this EVS G6 and I like it a lot. It's mesh and I wear nothing under it so it's cool. If you could find the EVS G5, you'd save even more money and still get great protection. I believe they're now making a G7 that probably offers some changes to the past designs. 

In an "I'm bored what can I buy on Amazon now" moment... I also just bought this inexpensive (but well reviewed) set of pads to try instead of wearing the ballistic jersey. It comes with the palm protector gaurds.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG7AYLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Instead of the open face lid helmet I was wearing, I am now wearing the $600 arai xd3 motorcycle helmet when riding my EUC. I am nervous about scarring it all up but ...whatever. I like that it has a full face shield to totally close up the helmet from bugs. It's pretty lightweight. 

I like the advice guys thanks. I've been experimenting with feet position. What've i've found is that like you've all said... toes just off the pedals feels best. I'm finding that wobbles seem to be directly related to where my weight is in relation to the center of the wheel... vertically I mean. If you drew a straight line vertically up from the center of the wheel I find my body needs to be centered on that line. Too far back and I get constant wobbles and too far forward makes me go too fast and lean too far which results in the wheel leaning back to correct me. 

I have a ton of practice before I'm going to be totally comfortable. Going in a straight line is easy enough now. I need to practice braking, tighter turns, weaving etc etc. I may be hooking up with a local rider from FB groups soon. I think I can learn from him. 

3 hours ago, d0n said:

I like that forcefield ballistic jersey but it's pretty expensive!

About 2 weeks after I got interested in buying an EUC a rider know as Black Cobra destroyed his shoulder after a cut out.  I believe he was wearing something similar to the protective gear you are using.  The consensus seemed to be that no protective equipment would have saved his shoulder because of how he went down.  It seems like at least D30 gear has some sort of test ratings to judge the level of protection provided.  I can not find any ratings at all on the EVS equipment.  EUC riding is clearly a risky endeavor and every rider has to decide what level of risk mitigation seems appropriate for their conditions and riding style.  I still don't know exactly what gear I will choose, but the cost of gear seems rather insignificant if it ends up saving me a trip to the emergency room, and temporary or long term disability.       

1 hour ago, CarlW said:

About 2 weeks after I got interested in buying an EUC a rider know as Black Cobra destroyed his shoulder after a cut out. 

I think he was riding a 16X flat out with a battery at close to 40%. When he tried to accelerate the motor quit as it didn't have enough power to either accelerate or provide tilt back. Having a bit more knowledge would have protected him against that fall. I think that fall was in his earlier days of riding.

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

think he was riding a 16X flat out with a battery at close to 40%. When he tried to accelerate the motor quit as it didn't have enough power to either accelerate or provide tilt back. Having a bit more knowledge would have protected him against that fall. I think that fall was in his earlier days of riding.

I am unable to identify a single accurate piece of information in this post concerning a serious accident that recently happened to Black Cobra in which he is still recovering.  Suggesting knowledge would have prevented it considering how uniformed you are on the situation seems like a poor choice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I think he was riding a 16X flat out with a battery at close to 40%. When he tried to accelerate the motor quit as it didn't have enough power to either accelerate or provide tilt back. Having a bit more knowledge would have protected him against that fall. I think that fall was in his earlier days of riding.

Cobra dislocated his shoulder and broke it in 2 places just a few weeks ago. He was riding his brand new Monster Pro with less than 100 miles on it when it cutout unexpectedly at 20 mph.

Wasn't accelerating, flat ground, high battery%. Just a one in a million malfunction with the machine. Some very knowledgeable members of the community diagnosed the machine afterwards and couldn't find what the issue was other than it wouldn't turn on.  Extremely rare malfunction but clearly a possibility we all face. 

He is still in recovery and hopes to regain full mobility of his arm in 6 months time. He is currently documenting his recovery on his channel. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CarlW said:

I am unable to identify a single accurate piece of information in this post concerning a serious accident that recently happened to Black Cobra in which he is still recovering.  Suggesting knowledge would have prevented it considering how uniformed you are on the situation seems like a poor choice. 

The information was accurate but must of referred to a previous accident that the guy had had. He was wearing full armour at the time. I didn't realise he'd had another serious crash. He seemed like a nice guy and I hope he gets better soon.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was leaning forward while going about 16mph... We are really putting a lot of trust in our EUCs to think that they won't, or can't malfunction and send us to a painful face plant into the asphalt at speed. 

Question... can someone explain the route/map feature on EUCworld? When I swipe right to that page of the app.. I do see my wheel icon on the map. When I go for a ride, EUCw tells me it's recording my ride BUT I cannot seem to find a map of my trip to view or share later, after the ride. Thanks

21 minutes ago, d0n said:

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was leaning forward while going about 16mph... We are really putting a lot of trust in our EUCs to think that they won't, or can't malfunction and send us to a painful face plant into the asphalt at speed. 

Question... can someone explain the route/map feature on EUCworld? When I swipe right to that page of the app.. I do see my wheel icon on the map. When I go for a ride, EUCw tells me it's recording my ride BUT I cannot seem to find a map of my trip to view or share later, after the ride. Thanks

Log into the website. Your logs get uploaded to it and turned into tours. You can then share the link. I think it (tours)  become available on the device if you are logged in with it as well. My most recent shared 'tour' can be accessed by merely clicking on it in my signature(below each of my postings) btw.

I am well aware that we are relying on cheap parts to keep our faces off the ground. I think most of us learn it one way or another. Its a valid fear. Just another detail  when deciding how we want to roll the dice..I'm relying on some of the same cheap parts  at 45+mph as you are at 16mph, fancy that :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Log into the website. Your logs get uploaded to it and turned into tours. You can then share the link. I think it (tours)  become available on the device if you are logged in with it as well.

Ahhh ok thanks! I've never been to the website. 

@ShanesPlanet is there an option to change the speed and distance on the EUCw tour info to miles & MPH? Its only reading kph. I've looked in settings etc etc and can't seem to find a place to change from kilometers to miles

thanks

Edited by d0n

6 hours ago, d0n said:

@ShanesPlanet is there an option to change the speed and distance on the EUCw tour info to miles & MPH? Its only reading kph. I've looked in settings etc etc and can't seem to find a place to change from kilometers to miles

thanks

on the website its near the top. On the app its in the settings.  I really wish the CSV file itself would report in whatever settings you have on the droid, but it doesnt. A real pita when using that file for heads up display video.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

5 minutes ago, d0n said:

I'm really getting this EUC thing now! 47 miles on it so far. I rode 11 miles today. 

Video

https://euc.world/tour/599755747475034

What a huge difference! Nice to see how relaxed you are on the wheel. :clap3: Keep doing what you do, ‘coz it works!

Learning never really stops, but you, sir, deserve a Medal of Honor for the great progress!

Hey thanks Mr. Moderator! I appreciate that. I can see people giving up. It's not an easy thing to learn. Riding a little more each time I go out has helped me a lot. Also, trying to ride at walking speed helps too. Doing tight circles in both directions helps. I do find my pedals drag sometimes though. 

I am constantly bouncing off the speed alarms now. They're nearly always beeping. The alarms don't kick in until 19mph, 21 and 22. A month ago I thought 22mph was just crazy on an EUC but now I see it's just the beginning. I'm not a speed freak nor do I have a death wish. I just hate being so quickly limited by a slowish wheel. 

What's next for me? Vsherman? Or is that just stupid with less than 50 miles under my belt?

Edited by d0n

5 hours ago, d0n said:

What's next for me?

There was a chart/comic about what’s next in the learning process—confidence vs time. Confidence goes up very quickly… and then you have your first crash and are (literally) brought back to earth.

After that confidence climbs more slowly, and it gets reset after your second crash—but not nearly as much as the first one. The stair like progression continues.

5 hours ago, d0n said:

Vsherman?

Sure! Why not? If you’re liking pavement and speed and range (and don’t have to lug it up to a third floor walk up) the Sherm is the bees knees. Or the MPro—but there are a lot more Sherman’s on the road so I’d have a bit more faith in them.

5 hours ago, d0n said:

Or is that just stupid with less than 50 miles under my belt?

Nope, not stupid at all. It’s more risky trying to make a 16s (or any wheel) go too fast. BUT. Remember the crash part from above. You are going to crash, and crashing at 40mph is a different event than 16mph.

Somebody on the telegram server came up with the term “meat crayon”. 🤔

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 8:47 PM, d0n said:

I'm not a speed freak nor do I have a death wish. I just hate being so quickly limited by a slowish wheel. 

I do sense that you might not have the best self-discipline in the world though, so one could say that a 50mph wheel might not be the best idea at this point. Any limits you set on it may just as well start to feel “slow”. And since 18” wheels are inherently much more stable than your 16S, you need to go 50% faster already just to get the same feeling of speed.

Some people have an internal speed limit though, which kicks in no matter how fast the wheel could go. For me the internal limit has stayed at exactly 30mph for a few years already, so I’m sure it won’t increase anymore. But some people do not have a limit like that. So a 31mph wheel could either be fast enough for you, or then again it could feel limiting just like your 16S feels now.

There are many 31-35mph wheels available. 18XL, V11, etc. I would advice against Begodes (and the Sherman) though, since the top speed limiter on them can be removed altogether. If you start to feel limited again, you might simply nudge the limit up little by little until the wheel can no longer keep you upright. Their quality issues have also been a bit more severe lately.

I'm very self disciplined when I want/need to be. I'd probably be dead otherwise. LOL!

I just finished a 30 day "get healthy" period where I stopped eating junk food, alcohol, soda and anything else that I considered bad for me. I only drank water, 1 energy drink per day and protein shakes... along with salad, tuna, chicken and other healthy foods. I rowed daily on my concept 2 and walked 1/2 mile each night. Also I practiced my EUC (which is hard work!) often. I went from 201 lbs down to 181 lbs and my blood pressure went from stage 1 hypertension down to 93/71... normal. I feel better. 

I really don't see me going 45mph on an EUC ever. But, I don't want to spend $1000's on a mid level wheel (31-35mph) that I may reach its speed limits on in a month or two. I'd rather plunk down the money for a vsherman and get it over with. 

Kind of like I did with my motorcycle... 120ci supercharged with NOS. The speed and power is there if I need it but I don't HAVE to use it. 

IMG_20210701_153850.jpg

IMG_20210506_151306_01.jpg

IMG_20210506_143547_507.jpg

59 minutes ago, d0n said:

I'm very self disciplined when I want/need to be. I'd probably be dead otherwise. LOL!

I just finished a 30 day "get healthy" period where I stopped eating junk food, alcohol, soda and anything else that I considered bad for me. I only drank water, 1 energy drink per day and protein shakes... along with salad, tuna, chicken and other healthy foods. I rowed daily on my concept 2 and walked 1/2 mile each night. Also I practiced my EUC (which is hard work!) often. I went from 201 lbs down to 181 lbs and my blood pressure went from stage 1 hypertension down to 93/71... normal. I feel better. 

I really don't see me going 45mph on an EUC ever. But, I don't want to spend $1000's on a mid level wheel (31-35mph) that I may reach its speed limits on in a month or two. I'd rather plunk down the money for a vsherman and get it over with. 

Kind of like I did with my motorcycle... 120ci supercharged with NOS. The speed and power is there if I need it but I don't HAVE to use it. 

And still an energy drink of poison? Give up all that good stuff but not the worst offender. No worries, I had twice as much candy, twice as much alcohol and no energy drinks. The universe is STILL in balance!

There's not much difference between 31mph and 40mph. Once on an Euc, they are both well beyond the point of crash being a serious problem. There's a HUGE difference between lugging around an exceptionally heavy euc, and riding around on a bike with extra ponies you don't tap in to. I also used to ride a larger bike and it was wonderful. Of course, that was when I wasnt having to push it anywhere. I didnt enjoy my bigger bikes much when in traffic or walking it thru parking lots, for sure!   At any rate, you'll end up with more than one wheel, so the order in which you purchase them, only matters to the pocketbook and learning curve ;)

If i had to keep only ONE wheel, it would still be my 18XL. Its just light enough, goes just fast enough(kind of), costs 1/3 the price of my sherman and will take a fall more gracefully. Add that its my comfort wheel with speakers... yeah, its a keeper. I ride my sherman often, but I hate luggin it into the car. Its a nightmare to carry stairs, and its a little intimidating to pedestrians. Fwiw, Im internally regulated at 26mph (actual top speed -1mph on the 18XL) and its a nice clip. Im internally NOT regulated by speed on the sherman. It wont be long before I also become a meat crayon. In short, I ride the 18XL for comfort and enjoyment. Its an easy weight to ride around at 2mph-26mph and doesnt fight me when I make rash decisions in direction. It goes a LONG time too. I ride my sherman when I want to blast at high speeds and have little inclination of being below 10mph much at all. Hell, I JUST got back from riding a shem down the street and got lulled into racing a minivan. WIth great power comes great lack of responsibility.... so sayeth confucious.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, d0n said:

I just finished a 30 day "get healthy" period where I stopped eating junk food, alcohol, soda and anything else that I considered bad for me.

Wow, was I wrong or what! :lol: You are extremely self-disciplined, way more than me. Congrats on the 30 day period, that stuff is not easy.

I still want to suggest that you consider other aspects of the wheels  as well, since the Sherman is definitely not the king of the lot when it comes to the riding experience. It has speed, but so do many other wheels these days. The huge battery is basically the #1 selling point, and to me there aren’t even that many others.

If you want a much more refined riding experience, I think you should check the Inmotion V12 very closely.

• Like 1