InMotion V11 issue - Anti-spin button under handle / Power cutoff not working sporatically

overkiel

Hi guys, first post here as a relatively new owner of a V11 (first time unicycle, not much technical knowledge, just casual)

I have an issue where sometimes when I pick up my V11 while pressing on the anti spin button under the handle, the wheel will start spinning FULL SPEED and beeping, it can't be stopped which is insane. I can press/unpress the anti-spin button as many times as I want, or keep the power button pressed down to shut off and nothing ever happens, it just keeps spinning full speed and beeping (I'm guessing it's the max speed limit beep)

The only way to stop it is to place it on the floor where it'll smoke the tire and slow down leaving a nice black tire mark wherever I'm lucky enough to experience that.

This seems dangerous and definitely not a pleasant experience as it happens randomly. The first time I experienced something like this was a quick test on ice, it started spinning uncontrollably until it touched a grippy surface.

Is this a known issue? Anyone else have this happen? I wish it'd be fixed relatively soon because it surprises me every time (not in a good way)

Martin

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a bug or just normal behavior.

Two things:

• As soon as the wheel is turning, the anti-spin button and power button will be disabled. This is a safety mechanism to prevent a crash when riding, from accidental button presses or electrical errors in the buttons.
    It's that way on all electric unicycles.
  • The wheel not stopping might be just that you hold it un-tilted, so it behaves as it should (keeps its speed). Otherwise, why would it stop as soon as you put it on the floor? The wheel doesn't know if it's on the floor or not. If it was an error, why does it stop then, instead of keeping spinning?
    A wheel is only controlled by its tilt. It accelerates into the direction of the tilt until the tilt goes away. That's literally all it does. So if you hold it up tilted but it does not accelerate (and ultimately shut down), that would mean it does not balance properly at all. So why don't you crash when you try to ride it?
    You can easily test this part (I call it a "lift test"). Lift the wheel (without the anti-spin button) and control its speed by controlling the tilt. You'll see if it rapidly accelerates and then shuts down when you keep holding it tilted (normal behavior), or if something else happens.

Not to dimiss your concerns, maybe it's something that shouldn't be there. Especially if it clearly behaves inconsistently. A problem with the anti-spin button? A balancing problem?

But the by far easiest explanation is that you press the anti-spin button too late/it activates too slow  (there will be like a ~2kph threshold where it deactivates) and then hold your V11 horizontal (not tilted) so it sees no need to speed up or slow down.

Try, and if you're unsure then, describe the behavior in detail and we can figure it out. Maybe it really is a bug, albeit a mysterious one.

• 5 months later...

I just experienced the same thing. I unboxed my brand new InMotion V11 and put it on a unicycle stand (not tilted), turned it on and it started spinning extremely fast with the beeps every few seconds. The power nor anti-spin button didn't stop it. I'm amusing, based on what I just read, that because the V11 was not turn on in a tilted position (it was standing straight up on the unicycle stand) the V11 thought it was supposed to start accelerating....?? Am I correct? And to shut it off I must tilted it back or lay it on its side....?? Luckily it was on the stand, I just stepped back and let it run itself out and eventually it stopped on its own but YES it was a scary experience right out of the box.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, O.T. said:

I unboxed my brand new InMotion V11 and put it on a unicycle stand (not tilted), turned it on and it started spinning extremely fast with the beeps every few seconds.

It may have looked level, but these wheels are very sensitive to being exactly level ... the level that it is calibrated to. So even though it appeared level on the stand, it was not precisely level.

While your wheel is on the ground, turned on and motionless; gently pick it up and try to control it by slowly tipping it forward and backward to get a sense of it. Be careful to not let it get going fast ... just put it back on the ground quickly.

Sounds like your wheel was operating normally. We just have to be cautious about the nature of the beast!

• Like 1

I struggled with this on my v11 and found a workaround

When its going crazy, use the hand that is lifting (only holding the handle!) it to tilt it forwards or back, so that your wheel changes direction.

Try and set it down when the wheel is just about to switch. You dont have to get it perfect- pretty close and it will calm down on the ground without burning rubber. After practicing this (outside) 3-4 times I can do it on my entry rug without leaving a mark. 

On 6/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, overkiel said:

Is this a known issue

I’d chat with my retailer… the button should work 100% of the time. As you said, it can be dangerous and you run the risk of (best case) putting a skid mark on the floor to (worse case) having the wheel yank itself out of your hand and careen across the room or (worst case) suddenly stopping the wheel while it’s running burns out your control board.

**deciding which result is worse than another is of course, a matter of perspective!

5 hours ago, O.T. said:

The power nor anti-spin button didn't stop it.

The power and anti spin buttons are disabled once the tire is rotating. They only work when you are stopped. Otherwise an accidental button push or electrical malfunction with the buttons would crash you in the worst way. This is a standard safety measure on every wheel on the market.

Sounds like your V11 behaved exactly as it should:) It simply wasn't actually level in the stand. Any tiny tilt would cause it to spin up rapidly (as the tilt never goes away with the wheel in a fixed position). If this ever happens while you lift the wheel, don't put it down (when you're inside) or you get a nice tire mark on the floor. Just let it spin up and shut down in the air after a few seconds.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

or (worst case) suddenly stopping the wheel while it’s running burns out your control board.

You might put one below even this: Something attached to your body (or a body part!) is sucked between the wheel and the housing

Edited by Richardo

I have always had issues with my anti spin button. My unit is batch 1.5. I run into a couple of issues -

1. anti spin button has no effect when lifting the wheel (free spin)

2. anti spin engages, but then terminates after the wheel is off of the ground (can happen right away or seconds/minutes into carrying the unit). I lift the  wheel and carry it for a bit then the motor starts spinning even though button is still depressed. Have found that certain angles/positions while carrying the wheel seems to activate the motor. For example, I needed to lift the wheel up and over a cement road barrier to get off of a trail. When I swung the wheel forward the motor engaged. This happens walking down the two stairs by my front door as well. 

It has been suggested to re-calibrate the wheel, but I have learned to live with it.

2. anti spin engages, but then terminates after the wheel is off of the ground

Sounds like the issue that a few people have had, where the button is not fitting very well, requiring more pressure than normal to activate and to keep it activated.

I managed to fix mine by a simple disassembly, clean, and reassembly. Removing the 2 (or was it 3?) screws under the handle with a short screwdriver (or just a head) is enough to disassemble the system.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I managed to fix mine by a simple disassembly, clean, and reassembly. Removing the 2 (or was it 3?) screws under the handle with a short screwdriver (or just a head) is enough to disassemble the system.

I disassembled the unit, but did not think to clean it up (did not seem soiled, but then again I need glasses). Will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I disassembled the unit, but did not think to clean it up (did not seem soiled, but then again I need glasses). Will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

Np! Use electronics cleaner, rubbing alcohol, or other fully evaporating cleaning fluid on the switch, and check that the movement of the lever itself is not hindered in any way.

I don’t remember where exactly did I operate on with mine, but I also did file something to improve the sensitivity of the switch on my V11.