InMotion V8S

Asphalt

Atlas makes valid arguments for shareholders of the brand who may have financial interests. This is not the idea of the majority of new wheelers wanting a 16-inch light like the V8 and very manoeuvrable, powerful, wanting more autonomy without the heaviness of a truck, for a public of 70 kg (figure used by the manufacturers evaluating an autonomy), flat road, no wind, no luggage, rare conditions among new customers. We come across commercial opinions with personal tastes, something for everyone here. I have no commercial activity but a profile evoked by the tests which give the technical characteristics on the manufacturers' sheets, I did not do it on purpose when I was born (70 kg, 1m71).

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 9:36 AM, varamontelo said:

To replace my V8F I would need a V8X with the same speed because the limits in several countries are close to 25 km / h, so this will no longer be the first selling point for many manufacturers. To sell in the future it will be autonomy. So a dream V8X should have 100 km of range in 16 inches to keep handling and performance, that's what most new riders are looking for. It is better to travel far than too fast. If there is a suspension, it is comfort but not a priority. Don't add multiple settings and no extra maintenance, please no brittleness.

i agree with the speed thing but doing 100Km on a 16x2,15 wheel will be a real penance. not having to charge every day however is a real asset

• 2 weeks later...

That's right Lieven for charging every day, whether you're away from a connection, traveling, vacationing abroad, or living in the countryside. For the distance of 100 km, daily riders are rare and tired, most of the legs descend from the front wheel 100 km.
Aaron's comparison for these two competitors is always useful for a first purchase. The arguments on the performance according to the weight of the wheel to be transported for an arm in the metro, bus, building; the weight of the rider, the use (professional or leisure, or both journeys during the week and holidays), the design, the price, allow a choice for immediate use, in my opinion. One does not buy a vehicle to look at it in the house but to move around by entrusting his life to it while driving. The 16S and V8F are fine. Good luck and good circulation to you.

• 2 months later...
Il y a 8 heures, meepmeepmayer a dit :

Qu'est-il arrivé à cette roue? Il semble être sorti, mais je n'en entends rien nulle part.

The V8S is released but sales are reduced: little difference with the V8F which has similar performance as light easy to drive in the city. The transport of products from China is becoming difficult, expensive and rare, so delays, sellers in Europe are waiting longer and longer.

Edited by varamontelo
erreur ortographe

One factor for the lackluster press might be that the production weight of the V8S is significantly heavier than the originally promised 15kg (33lbs).

Monokoleso-Inmotion-V8S-7.jpg.webp

At 16.8kg (37lbs), it's heavier than the MCM5 v2

Monokoleso-Begode-MCM5-4.jpg.webp

For reference, the V8S is 7lbs heavier than the original V8 13.5kg (30lbs).

For people looking to upgrade from the original V8, a 23% increase in weight may have them looking at other options with better cost-benefit ratios.

• Like 3

Yeah, people who are OK with a wheel that expensive and heavy will likely go all in and buy a V10F, with a motor that has more than twice the power and a much wider tire

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

the few extra pounds in this instance for the vast majority of people.

That move to slightly higher battery, price, weight makes the V8S clearly lose spec-to-spec comparison vs the KS 16S 840Wh - just look at your own neat table where these two EUCs stand side-by-side. The 16S has more battery, more power, yet considerably lower cost (1300 vs 1400 on ewheels). The only spec where the 16S is marginally worse is weight (16.8 kg vs 17.4). Speed and tyre are the same and the rest is mostly aesthetics (and the KS has speakers!). [There is 68V vs 84V, different cell types and arrangements but this is irrelevent and meaningless to the target audience].

So in my view the V8S is in an awkward place in the space of EUCs. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yoos said:

That move to slightly higher battery, price, weight makes the V8S clearly lose spec-to-spec comparison vs the KS 16S 840Wh - just look at your own neat table where these two EUCs stand side-by-side. The 16S has more battery, more power, yet considerably lower cost (1300 vs 1400 on ewheels). The only spec where the 16S is marginally worse is weight (16.8 kg vs 17.4). Speed and tyre are the same and the rest is mostly aesthetics (and the KS has speakers!). [There is 68V vs 84V, different cell types and arrangements but this is irrelevent and meaningless to the target audience].

So in my view the V8S is in an awkward place in the space of EUCs. 

Unfortunately tables don't tell the whole story. I'd pay $100 more for the vastly superior comfort of a V8/F/S over the 16S with its awkward battery humps that kill against the inside of my legs. I understand this may not apply to everyone, but it's a non-negotiable deal-breaker for both me and my g/f who felt the same (she absolutely hated the 16S against her legs compared to the V8). Also 84V vs 67V is a pretty significant difference even if not evident to the target audience.

In the end I don't think the V8S is uncompetitive at the current price, it's just that at that price the other options do start to compete with it--when they definitely couldn't just a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aaron_syd said:

Has anyone bought from aliexpress, I can't get this wheel from a local distributor 😪

You asked your distributor? Some wheels, especially now have longer delivery times and not all to come are listed on the websites.

Some aliexpress resellers are rumored to not be too accurate with availability and delivery times.

However, many have bought from aliexpress and got a nice wheel wo probs, as they reported. Many got support/spare parts for repairs. Some were unfortionate and will never ever buy there again.

Imho one main prob is the legal uncertainty. Aliexpress is mediating at their rules at their will. Aliexpress resellers promise "what they want and perform as they want". Whoever wants to get his right has to go finally to a chinese court.

Of course aliexpress only works as long as customers are buying - so in most cases everything will work out fine and they will do their best to not offend (too much of) their customers.

The other main problem is that, in case of some major repair needed or a return to be done, transportation is back to china and at cost and risk of the customer!

Here could dhlgate be an interesting alternative to aliexpress - afair they allow returns to local warehouses? But no idea about details (for which products, etc)

Besides this, by buying from china one is the importer and liable for the product fulfilling all local regulations. This could be important in case of insurance coverage needed...

And to make the whole thing not to easy there are beside many great, supportive and recommendable resellers black sheeps - where one would be better off to stay with aliexpress...

To get some overview one can search here with google's searchterm:

site:forum.electricunicycle.org keyword(s)

If you use as keyword(s) aliexpress, dhlgate, chicway, green fashion travel, wheel riders you should get many personal reports.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:25 AM, Asphalt said:

At 16.8kg (37lbs), it's heavier than the MCM5 v2 . For reference, the V8S is 7lbs heavier than the original V8 13.5kg (30lbs).

Additional reference. I bought a V8F and received it July 30, 2021. It weighs 34.8 lbs == 15.8 kg. Apparently the newer V8F's are about 1 kg heavier than the first batch ones. I've read that the motor is heavier, but nothing mentioned if the motor is any stronger. That would mean the V8S is about 1 kg heavier than the V8F I bought.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rcgldr said:

I've read that the motor is heavier, but nothing mentioned if the motor is any stronger.

In the V8S teardown they mention that inmotion switched from light magnesium rotor covers (which helped hit their marketed weight promise) to cheaper and heavier ones. The V8S motor is exactly the same as the V8F. As a sidenote, power ratings are not particularly useful. Typically the same motor is used across numerous models and extra power comes from more upgraded controllers and batteries. I suspect that the motor itself is never really the bottleneck. At least I haven't heard about motors that failed from overpower (i.e. overheating within the motor).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'll wait for the local shops to stock this wheel or mcm5 v2, it could be months but still better than trusting aliexpress or dhgate. 

What wheel is better for travelling around max speed 20-30 km/h, around 5-10km trips: V8S 16x2.125" or MCM5 v2 14x2.5"? I will be in a mix of quiet streets, sidewalks, and bike lanes. I currently ride a onewheel pint 10.5x6" for reference.

Is gotway still recommended, since there is some issues with fires, should I stick with inmotion v8s for first wheel?

18 minutes ago, aaron_syd said:

What wheel is better for travelling around max speed 20-30 km/h, around 5-10km trips: V8S 16x2.125" or MCM5 v2 14x2.5"? I will be in a mix of quiet streets, sidewalks, and bike lanes. I currently ride a onewheel pint 10.5x6" for reference.

Both wheels will fit the bill perfectly and the difference between them will be negligible compared to the difference with a onewheel. I haven't tried 14x2.5" wheels but I have heard that 16x2.125 and 14x2.5 are quite similar in terms of comfort. The MCM5 is torqey-er and has higher top speed (at the expense of smaller safety margin, as is customary for gotway/begode).

23 minutes ago, aaron_syd said:

Is gotway still recommended, since there is some issues with fires, should I stick with inmotion v8s for first wheel?

the gotway fires are usually happening to 900Wh packs of 21700 sized battery packs. The MCM5 uses 18650 cells instead. Still, begode QC is notoriously bad so unless you are technically inclined or have someone to service it, I would recommend the V8S as a first wheel -- it would be closer to the freemotion experience: better qc, finish, polish etc, should work out of the box.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aaron_syd said:

Ok I'll wait for the local shops to stock this wheel or mcm5 v2, it could be months but still better than trusting aliexpress or dhgate. 

Having owned both a v8f and an mcm5, I cannot fathom why anyone would pick the v8f or v8s (which will perform the same except range). The mcm5 has way more punch to it. I think the only way the v8 series wins is with in waterproofing and overall quality feel/looks. But ride character is the most important aspect to me personally by far, so it's like no contest between the two. Also ergonomically, the mcm5 shell is decisively not in your way at all. All wheels should be built with that goofy egg shape. You can always add pads, can't take em away. 

12 hours ago, yoos said:

The MCM5 is torqey-er and has higher top speed (at the expense of smaller safety margin, as is customary for gotway/begode).

smaller safety margin? I dunno about that. The mcm5 pedals still feel solid and responsive at 27mph with the 5 beep top speed alarm going. To me the v8f felt squishy and was prone to overlean at nearly any speed....

12 hours ago, yoos said:

...should work out of the box.

both wheels should work out of the box.... to insinuate that the gotway won't is a bit too far. The mcm5 has a pretty stellar reputation and known to be reliable wheel. Can't say the same about all gotway wheels, sure. Otherwise I agree with what you're saying yoos