EUC world stops comms with wheel

I have been having issues lately where sometimes 10-15 minutes into a tour, with wheel log on.  EUC world will stop talking to the wheel, wheel will show blue indicator like it is still connected but EUC world gets no more updates.  Is there a debug log somewhere I can check?

image.png.8bba4ced9ea1f646695deb215014dab6.png

11 hours ago, ArieKanarie said:

Maybe some battery saving setting?

Could you tell us which phone you have?

Battery saving settings are set to not optimize EUC World, I cannot say without a doubt that some common library that EUC World may be calling may be optimized however that is why I asked if there is a debug log to check.

I have a OnePlus 8

3 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

Battery saving settings are set to not optimize EUC World,

I assume gps usage is allowed during background operation, too?

I cannot say without a doubt that some common library that EUC World may be calling may be optimized however that is why I asked if there is a debug log to check.

Not to my knowledge.

I have a OnePlus 8

Afair some Samsung phones have aggressive battery optimization algorithms hindering EUC World to work properly. This would need special handling or even colaboration with the manufacturer?

As many android mobile phone manufacturers introduce their own os extensions, not all can be acknowledged and handled by the EUC World developer.

Afair @Seba made a video in his channel explaining the necessary settings?

Or some other power users have more tipps?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

I assume gps usage is allowed during background operation, too?

Not to my knowledge.

Afair some Samsung phones have aggressive battery optimization algorithms hindering EUC World to work properly. This would need special handling or even colaboration with the manufacturer?

As many android mobile phone manufacturers introduce their own os extensions, not all can be acknowledged and handled by the EUC World developer.

Afair @Seba made a video in his channel explaining the necessary settings?

Or some other power users have more tipps?!

Yes local GPS on the phone keeps running like a champ, as shown in GPS Speed values keep updating in EUC World, Speed values, battery values, anything that originates from the wheel do not update.  Only communication lost appears to be wheel only.

I will check @Seba channel and see if there are any tips.

Cool thanks @Chriull I did find a post that talks about common problems with Phones.  Let me try out some of those fixes.

Seba mentioned

1.  ensure app can run in background - no real setting or permission at the application level for that on my phone, however in developer options I can define the number of background processes.  I bumped that up to max setting.

2.  Battery Optimization off for EUC World - Was already off

Correct me if I'm wrong but it would appear some settings within EUC World may be there combat these problems indirectly, but the descriptions for the settings don't really define it as such:

1.  Always On - not defined as workaround, but I'm assuming this would prevent app from going to background status, and keep the screen focus.

2. Show when Locked - same as Always On I would imagine

3.  Enable PIP - same line of thinking I'm guessing to always have app open is some capacity.

I will try these out.

15 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

Cool thanks @Chriull I did find a post that talks about common problems with Phones.  Let me try out some of those fixes.

Seba mentioned

1.  ensure app can run in background - no real setting or permission at the application level for that on my phone, however in developer options I can define the number of background processes.  I bumped that up to max setting.

Did not find this setting anymore :( Seems to have changed with the newer android versions?!

I cannot set gps usage to "always" anymore too - only "while app is used".

Could be exactly your issue?

Just looked it up: on https://www.androidauthority.com/android-11-location-access-1085357/ is written

"It’s still possible to grant permission for an app to track you all the time, but it requires extra steps . Once you’ve granted permission to an app for location access, if it needs always-on access, it will need to ask again and specifically explain why. It will then provide a link to grant permission within the system settings.

Taking things a step forward, Google will require new apps submitted to the Play Store to get special approval for always-on location access starting this August. Pre-existing Play Store apps will have until November to get approval or they will be removed from Google’s app store"

I'd assume @Seba already knows this and will adopt with a new version?

As posted in the next post this is not needed by EUC World...

2.  Battery Optimization off for EUC World - Was already off

Correct me if I'm wrong but it would appear some settings within EUC World may be there combat these problems indirectly, but the descriptions for the settings don't really define it as such:

1.  Always On - not defined as workaround, but I'm assuming this would prevent app from going to background status, and keep the screen focus.

This could/should be a workaround, but using up the battery....

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Did not find this setting anymore :( Seems to have changed with the newer android versions?!

I cannot set gps usage to "always" anymore too - only "while app is used".

EUC World uses location only when running, so it's normal that it doesn't ask for "always". It includes background operation too.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:06 AM, Rich Sam said:

I have been having issues lately where sometimes 10-15 minutes into a tour, with wheel log on.  EUC world will stop talking to the wheel, wheel will show blue indicator like it is still connected but EUC world gets no more updates.  Is there a debug log somewhere I can check?

Please make sure you've using latest EUC World 2.6 that has been released yesterday. It contains some improvements to V11 communication that should minimize any communication problems. But V11 BT modules are known to fail from time to time, so you may need to force restart your wheel with following procedure:

• make sure the wheel is turned on;
  • press and hold power button for about 60 seconds to force power off;
  • wait few seconds and turn the wheel on.

Normally, V11 electronics isn't actually turned off when you press the power button. Instead of powering off, it just goes to sleep mode. By forcing power off, you'll effectively restart the wheel electronics and after power on it will start fresh.

• Like 3

Cool thanks @Seba and @DjPanJan I will try those.

I was not on latest version of EUC world, updating now.  before next ride I will do a full electronics shutdown.

If the above does not get it, I will try Gabeldorsche, I want to try and pinpoint the issue for next time.

I did however try all the "always on, PIP" those did not help last night.

37 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I did however try all the "always on, PIP" those did not help last night.

It's because these settings has nothing to BT connectivity.

3 hours ago, Seba said:

It's because these settings has nothing to BT connectivity.

It was me thinking that the O/S was somehow knee capping the app or possibly a service the app used because it became a background app.  My logic was those settings may prevent that.

I have the new version I'm ready to rock-N-roll.  Fingers crossed :D

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

It was me thinking that the O/S was somehow knee capping the app or possibly a service the app used because it became a background app.  My logic was those settings may prevent that.

I have the new version I'm ready to rock-N-roll.  Fingers crossed :D

I think it is better, it was disconnecting @10-15 minutes in, last night it hung in there for 30 minutes.  This time I heard the BT disconnect sound from euc world and the beeping like it was searching for the wheel.  I pulled over on disconnect and did the hardware shutdown procedure as the V11 still had the blue indicator lit like I was connected.  For good measure I turned on Gabeldorsche from the dev options.

image.thumb.png.816d88cfc9aefb29bd04fd085cf02dfc.png

might your new control board be suspect? BT is notoriously finicky, sometimes a bent antenna or a wire routed in the wrong place will cause connection issues.

maybe try putting your phone in a different pocket...

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

might your new control board be suspect? BT is notoriously finicky, sometimes a bent antenna or a wire routed in the wrong place will cause connection issues.

maybe try putting your phone in a different pocket...

Thought did cross my mind about the board, but I also swapped out my old oneplus 5 to a newer oneplus 8 at that same time as well.  I'm gonna give my old phone a shot and see how it goes if the enabling "Gabeldorsche" does not get it.

8 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

Thought did cross my mind about the board, but I also swapped out my old oneplus 5 to a newer oneplus 8 at that same time as well.  I'm gonna give my old phone a shot and see how it goes if the enabling "Gabeldorsche" does not get it.

I went back and reviewed logs from EUC world, and it definitely was occurring before the controller board swap.  The onset of intermittent BT connections seems to line up with my new OnePlus 8.

2 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

I think it is better, it was disconnecting @10-15 minutes in, last night it hung in there for 30 minutes.  This time I heard the BT disconnect sound from euc world and the beeping like it was searching for the wheel.  I pulled over on disconnect and did the hardware shutdown procedure as the V11 still had the blue indicator lit like I was connected.  For good measure I turned on Gabeldorsche from the dev options.

image.thumb.png.816d88cfc9aefb29bd04fd085cf02dfc.png

I do not recall when you said you got your wheel. But if you swip to the side from main EUC.WORLD screen you see more details. Here you can see what BT fw you have. If you will be kind enough to shate this I might have some explanation for your BT issues. You will find that the Inmotion app have similar or worse issues. I can crash the BT cinnect very easily so only way is the forced reboot of the V11 to free the BT module. 

I now have 2 different batches of the V11. 1 is 1st early batch somewhere between 40-80 first units made. That has the earliest BT module and is stuck on BT fw 0.11. My new 4th (or so) batch made in April 2021 have a much new BT module that is more stable (that is why it was change during last half of 1st batches). 

If you have an old module I suggest contacting reseller. In my case I don't have that option. So I will buy a fully new headlamp module at this is where the BT module is located. You can change the module inside the lamp. I rather just change the full lamp module as it is much eadoer to do. 

I am also going to swap mu full control board jousing with all boards. My butter fingers managed to crack connecters on the board so it has loose connection to rear light module meaning no rear light and alarm speaker function. But that is a different project. 

• Like 1

On a sidenote. Ot might not be the V11 that causes tje issue with connection problems. 

This has been discussed before. When using BT there is only so much bandwidths to share. So if you have multi devices connected with you phone each one of these take bandwidth dispite they are mot connected. The phone will always look for these. So best way yo ttoubleshot this imo, is to forget all connected BT devices and see if this improve BT with V11. 

My dad had similar issues with a BT conyrolled hearing air and his car. Both demanded so much it caused trouble for the other device. I have mentioned this before on the V11 thtead somewhere here. 

54 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I went back and reviewed logs from EUC world, and it definitely was occurring before the controller board swap.

BT module is separate from controller board, as it's built into a headlight unit.

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

On a sidenote. Ot might not be the V11 that causes tje issue with connection problems. 

This has been discussed before. When using BT there is only so much bandwidths to share. So if you have multi devices connected with you phone each one of these take bandwidth dispite they are mot connected. The phone will always look for these. So best way yo ttoubleshot this imo, is to forget all connected BT devices and see if this improve BT with V11. 

My dad had similar issues with a BT conyrolled hearing air and his car. Both demanded so much it caused trouble for the other device. I have mentioned this before on the V11 thtead somewhere here. 

I'm a bit of a Bluetooth aficionado even before it really blew up to mainstream.  I have had so many devices with BT connections it hard to keep track.  I have some that seem almost line of site and disconnect if any object(s) is\are between my phone and the device, and also some that have real xray power to go through walls and what not.  I can say that I never had a device just disconnect on its own from any kind of network saturation even when in a busy city or on a crowded bus with several BT users.

V11 BT has the Xray type of Bluetooth and I can normally connect to my wheel from one end of my house to the other through several walls.  If I was to take a stab at guessing the V11 BT module is locking up as it holds the blue "Connected" indicator while EUC World acknowledges it as a lost connection.

Thanks @Seba, I will check the headlamp... maybe I can spot something obvious.  cold solder joint that expands when hot or something.

16 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

Thanks @Seba, I will check the headlamp... maybe I can spot something obvious.  cold solder joint that expands when hot or something.

You will see I actually post tvat as part of my last 2 messages already. 

What you have had in the past doesn't really matter with any new current device you have any issies with. 

Things change and with new devices, new standards and more importantly more demanding comms, new problems occurd. 

Connection is\was wait for it... My OnePlus 8.  I tried every setting I could find.  it would intermittently disconnect.

Switched to a different phone and Full ride, no disconnects, zero issues.

OnePlus 8 may not be a good phone for EUC World, or maybe I had a bum device.

Thanks @Seba, @Unventor, @DjPanJan for helping.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

OnePlus 8 may not be a good phone for EUC World, or maybe I had a bum device.

It might be some way to conserve power. 

Honestly these things can be pretty hard to figured out. So many variants and version of hardware and firmware and os versions. 

I can't say one phone is much better than others but Samsung has multi device bt support. There are other things I dislike about my Samsung S10e. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

It might be some way to conserve power. 

Honestly these things can be pretty hard to figured out. So many variants and version of hardware and firmware and os versions. 

I can't say one phone is much better than others but Samsung has multi device bt support. There are other things I dislike about my Samsung S10e. 

I turned off all battery optimization, bumped up background threads to keep apps alive.  Tried enabling that new Bluetooth stack Gabeldorsche from dev options.  Nothing worked for me.  S21 Ultra working like a champ so far, rode last night went from full to around 20%  connection clean the whole way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I turned off all battery optimization, bumped up background threads to keep apps alive.  Tried enabling that new Bluetooth stack Gabeldorsche from dev options.  Nothing worked for me.  S21 Ultra working like a champ so far, rode last night went from full to around 20%  connection clean the whole way.

I wounder if the phonemaker has a support that can give a tip or two.

Or if they know of a bug beening sorted out later. 

There ate 3 sides to a coin but most only see two. Each side... and the edge. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1