Kingsong 18XL or Inmotion V10F: what's a better first wheel for urban cruising?

I have read a lot on this forum and youtube about a good first wheel for a 220lb rider. Many say the V10F is a great first wheel but often say they wish they got something longer range and a bit faster like the 18XL. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 18XL but got really scared off about reports of Kingsong poor quality control. Gotway also has a lot of love from Gotway owners but QC in 2021 is now notoriously inconsistent. So sad to see Black Cobra's situation and hard to ignore (@Erwin: get well soon, we all owe you a lot for drawing us to EUCs, in spite of this set back).

So what's it going to be? Is it the 18XL or V10F? Wait for V12? After this I am looking at suspension, but for now I need to get my feet under me and get the show on the road. I am getting tired of researching the hell out of this and want to get on an EUC while the sun still shines in Canada. We're half way through May and I can already smell the snow. Got to do this now.

• Like 2

I used to own both of them. Both are good and reliable wheels. But at your weight I would go with the 18XL. It's an old design, meaning well tested and without toothing issues anymore. I think it's a safe bet for you. It's a very good wheel and nimble enough for city riding. The other option is to wait for the V12 but it might take a while before you actually get one and then there may be issues with it. I suggest just get a good deal with the 18XL and next year you can see if something else has been announced.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Camp X said:

I have read a lot on this forum and youtube about a good first wheel for a 220lb rider. Many say the V10F is a great first wheel but often say they wish they got something longer range and a bit faster like the 18XL. I was ready to pull the trigger on the 18XL but got really scared off about reports of Kingsong poor quality control. Gotway also has a lot of love from Gotway owners but QC in 2021 is now notoriously inconsistent. So sad to see Black Cobra's situation and hard to ignore (@Erwin: get well soon, we all owe you a lot for drawing us to EUCs, in spite of this set back).

So what's it going to be? Is it the 18XL or V10F? Wait for V12? After this I am looking at suspension, but for now I need to get my feet under me and get the show on the road. I am getting tired of researching the hell out of this and want to get on an EUC while the sun still shines in Canada. We're half way through May and I can already smell the snow. Got to do this now.

Can't go wrong with the KS18 series. Proven, simple, elegant, reliable. Okay, so maybe thats just when the stars align. The 18 is really one of the better made wheels as far as QC goes. I hear inmo does decent as well. My 18L made a perfect learner wheel and its still my goto for comfort cruising. You know, 15-25mph, sun in your face, flat pedal, narrow body goodness. Its like the toyota camry of wheels. I tossed a watch on mine running eucw and installed a bodyguard. Pretty much no other farkles required. Onboard speakers and a perfect trolley system too!

Whatever you pick, do your homework and verify the used seller or get from a dealer you trust. I've had zero issues from mine, but its always a dice roll with ANY of them. Buy any decent wheel and get to it. LIfe is slipping away as the clock ticks....tick....tick.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

For what it is worth, I am new to the EUC community and received my first EUC this week. I spoke to the guys at eWheels and they suggested the v10F. I am 6'3 and about 250lbs. I notice when I take on hills I will get cut out due to overheating and it starts to tilt me back and I have to give it a moment to cool down. I understand the reasoning fr the suggestion and the v10F does great on mostly flat road/terrain but I do wonder if I should have gone with a more powerful unit that could stay/run cooler. 

keep us posted on your path and decision!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, monkiboy said:

I notice when I take on hills I will get cut out due to overheating and it starts to tilt me back and I have to give it a moment to cool down.

Just about the terminology, what you experienced is not a cut out. A cut out is when the wheel literally turns off and stops balancing without warning.

Make sure that your V10F firmware is the latest one, I think they improved some temperature aspects at some point.

14 hours ago, monkiboy said:

I spoke to the guys at eWheels and they suggested the v10F. I am 6'3 and about 250lbs. I notice when I take on hills I will get cut out due to overheating and it starts to tilt me back and I have to give it a moment to cool down. 

I'm no expert but it sounds to me as though something must be wrong with your wheel.

I live in a hilly area and my trusty little KS16S still copes with 16 - 18% grade hills without any problem even after 2 years of use. The V10F has a more powerful motor than my wheel so I'd expect it to cope with most hills easily.

Are the hills you are climbing unusually steep or very long?

Edited by Gasmantle

13 hours ago, monkiboy said:

For what it is worth, I am new to the EUC community and received my first EUC this week. I spoke to the guys at eWheels and they suggested the v10F. I am 6'3 and about 250lbs. I notice when I take on hills I will get cut out due to overheating and it starts to tilt me back and I have to give it a moment to cool down. I understand the reasoning fr the suggestion and the v10F does great on mostly flat road/terrain but I do wonder if I should have gone with a more powerful unit that could stay/run cooler. 

keep us posted on your path and decision!

For what its worth, my buddy drove my old KS16B/C and it would quite easily overheat... beeping, screaming and yelling at him to get off the poor little wheel. He is a good 110+kg geared up, so about the same as you (250 lbs).

He now has an S18 and on the same "hills" he tops out at 30C temp.

I know, not the same wheel.. but having a higher power and a "newer" wheel seems to do wonders for high temps.

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Just about the terminology, what you experienced is not a cut out. A cut out is when the wheel literally turns off and stops balancing without warning.

Make sure that your V10F firmware is the latest one, I think they improved some temperature aspects at some point.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes latest firmware confirmed via INMOTION app.

2 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

I'm no expert but it sounds to me as though something must be wrong with your wheel.

I live in a hilly area and my trusty little KS16S still copes with 16 - 18% grade hills without any problem even after 2 years of use. The V10F has a more powerful motor than my wheel so I'd expect it to cope with most hills easily.

Are the hills you are climbing unusually steep or very long?

Read online and talked to gents at eWheels. This is normal for heavier riders and hills.

not very steep or long but if trying to go above 15mph up a hill for more than twenty feet or so I get hit with tilt back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinRider said:

For what its worth, my buddy drove my old KS16B/C and it would quite easily overheat... beeping, screaming and yelling at him to get off the poor little wheel. He is a good 110+kg geared up, so about the same as you (250 lbs).

He now has an S18 and on the same "hills" he tops out at 30C temp.

I know, not the same wheel.. but having a higher power and a "newer" wheel seems to do wonders for high temps.

Yep looking forward to v12!

• 2 months later...

I saw this post and was just wondering since it mentioned the KS18XL and since I have ordered it already as my first wheel, can you turn of the rainbow side lights or just have them set to a constant color instead or the rainbow?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dogmaticjoe said:

I saw this post and was just wondering since it mentioned the KS18XL and since I have ordered it already as my first wheel, can you turn of the rainbow side lights or just have them set to a constant color instead or the rainbow?

You sure can, there are several different light modes and patterns available.

• Like 1