Veteran Sherman Dual USB port/12v Voltmeter Install

fbhb

• fbhb changed the title to Veteran Sherman Dual USB port/12v Voltmeter Install

I looked into those same usb ports but found them too big to fit in the Sherman, but you managed to find a way.

Have you considered tapping 12v and 5v directly from the control board, so that you don’t need to have the headlights on to charge? The first batch control board had two jst male connectors supplying 12v and 5v that were subsequently removed in later board revisions. Soldering in the missing jst ports will bring back the functionality as Veteran didn’t redesign the circuitry.

I have installed a basic 5v usb port charger that pigtails out the back, with a 12v dc power port in the front to power any additional lights or accessories. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

Have you considered tapping 12v and 5v directly from the control board, so that you don’t need to have the headlights on to charge?

This install was done whilst fitting the second warranty replacement control board I have had to get from Veteran via my seller, due to the faulty standard 5A charger issue I have documented in another topic.  So bearing that in mind, I had no intention of carrying out any soldering work to a brand new untested control board for something that for me really is a non issue.

I am yet to clock up any serious mileage on this second warranty replacement control board before I can be assured that it's All Good and report back, having only ridden the wheel twice since the install.  Also, as I did state in the USB Charge port install description, the front light can very easily be unplugged with care if there is any concern over it being powered on during charging!

Edited by fbhb

This is a cool modification that led me down a HUGE rabbit role of about charging rates for different devices and ports. Looks like the typical phone can accept anywhere from 1-2.5 A Max. Iphone uses lightening cable and other devices use USB-C/USB3.1

What made you choose this specific port, and does it really matter which port you use because they will all be 12V? For example, if I wanted to charge my speaker, should I use USB3.1 -> input or USB-C -> input. Explain it to me like I'm 5 haha.. 

Any idea what the max current output might be, either on the 12v light circuit or on the 5V and/or 12V pads on the control board? This is a mod I'd consider doing on my Sherman when it finally arrives!

On 4/24/2021 at 8:37 AM, EUC_Ali said:

This is a cool modification that led me down a HUGE rabbit role of about charging rates for different devices and ports. Looks like the typical phone can accept anywhere from 1-2.5 A Max. Iphone uses lightening cable and other devices use USB-C/USB3.1

What made you choose this specific port, and does it really matter which port you use because they will all be 12V? For example, if I wanted to charge my speaker, should I use USB3.1 -> input or USB-C -> input. Explain it to me like I'm 5 haha.. 

The device he used has a voltage regulator inside. It’s converting the 12v of the Sherman front port to 5v for the USB :

• Like 3

NOTE: I have updated my OP today, with images to reflect the fact that this mod is Now installed by soldering directly to the spare 13/12v output on the control board, which enables the USB port to be powered on/off when the Sherman is powered on/off!

Edited by fbhb

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see the 12V current consumption of this DC-DC step down as the QC 3 and USB-C power delivery consumes a lot of amperage. Can you place a multimeter on the positive lead and plug power hungry devices?

also, there’s a cheap non usb-C version without the LCD on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNDDTP6

The socket has a 12V 3.5/4A requirement, which is why I ask the question.

Edited by JD212

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 7:44 AM, nowjoel said:

I would love to see the 12V current consumption of this DC-DC step down as the QC 3 and USB-C power delivery consumes a lot of amperage. Can you place a multimeter on the positive lead and plug power hungry devices?

also, there’s a cheap non usb-C version without the LCD on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNDDTP6

The socket has a 12V 3.5/4A requirement, which is why I ask the question.

It should be noted that the cheap alternative version suggested above does not appear to have a threaded body over the whole length of the ‘barrel’, and which would therefore require a bit more work in dissembly of the Sherman shell (split in half) in order to fix into place; unlike the original part suggested, this alternative component could not be secured by addition of the spacer as originally used by fbhb, there being no threading at the rear of the barrel.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Would not be better to make simple cable jack - bulk converter 12->5V -> usb connector (from lighter powerded car charger)? No modifications! I'll do such cable by myself and test it.

In addition, another, low-power daily light powered from USB can be added to have a proper lights needed for street moving in serveral countries.

Ok, I have made it.

Veteran Sherman does not have a USB charging port. But thanks to the simple modular structure, it may have :)

All you need to do is unplug the headlamp, plug in the gadget below and charge the phone, even while driving.

You can connect a replacement lamp flashing white to the second socket.

ATTENTION! We ALWAYS connect and disconnect the plugs to the monocycle turned off for safety! (MAX doesn't seem to have a problem with that).

It is a DIY project - you need a 3D printer and plates from a 4.5V flat battery (or other brass ones), a short cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack. The cable is as short as possible due to the thin wires. Mine has about 10 cm/ 4 inches. I ran a 3A current through  cable and it got warm, 1A was not. Supposing a current of 1A, we have 13W supplied by this socket, and this is the maximum that our charger should have, i.e. it should provide 5V 2-2.5A with a consumption of 12V / 1A, i.e. those with an inverter, not a linear stabilizer (i.e. most on the market). Works, charging :)

ATTENTION: all modifications are made at your own risk!

Thingiverse files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5480211

IMG_4243-2.JPG

IMG_4244-2.JPG

IMG_4245-2.JPG

Edited by qba
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Thanks to the great info in this thread, I decided to make one. I started with this motorcycle handlebar 45W dual USB charger and changed the cable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-24V-Car-Fast-Charger-Socket-45W-PD-USB-C-18W-QC3-0-Dual-USB-Power-Outlet-USB-Outlet-for-Motorcycle-Truck-ATV-Boats/2221055002

I'm considering looking into tapping into the circuit board, as I'd like to draw 90W to charge a laptop as well.

Veteran_Sherman_45W_USB_Charger_Complete.JPG

Veteran_Sherman_45W_USB_Charger_Mounted.JPG

Veteran_Sherman_45W_USB_Charger_Wires_1.JPG

Veteran_Sherman_45W_USB_Charger_Wires_2.JPG

• 1 year later...