I cheated on her, but she forgave me...and was on fire!!!

Paulo Mesquita

Isnt it amazing how you enjoy that first wheel so much still? Now you can begin to see why some of us like to claim that you won't 'outgrow' a wheel, just because you get another. There may be other green fields of grass, but its satisfying to know that its not actually greener. Grats for having multiples wheels and being able to enjoy them both! Sounds to me like youll be eyeballing a speed demon wheel in the near future! You'd be simply shocked at how much joy you could get from the lowly mten too. Simply mesmerizing. Tbf, Im waiting to fall in love with a suspension euc too. However, I've got girlfriends already and Im waiting for that low maintenance, small teeth, big mouth version to be born. SO far its just unreliable teenagers at the bar. Of course, its still early :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Just now, ShanesPlanet said:

Isnt it amazing how you enjoy that first wheel so much still? Now you can begin to see why some of us like to claim that you won't 'outgrow' a wheel, just because you get another. There may be other green fields of grass, but its satisfying to know that its not actually greener. Grats for having multiples wheels and being able to enjoy them both! Sounds to me like youll be eyeballing a speed demon wheel in the near future!

It was insane, I was doing things twice as hard, twice as tighter and twice as faster than ever before!!! It was literally the ride I enjoyed must up to today!!!!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

It was insane, I was doing things twice as hard, twice as tighter and twice as faster than ever before!!! It was literally the ride I enjoyed must up to today!!!!

and it wasnt too long ago, you were wondering if you'd even be young enough to figure this out. WEll.... you are and have! Seems like you've nearly (or already have) reached that bliss when the wheel seems to read your mind. Until it happens, you just cant fathom how miraculous it is. You're in deep now. No need to fight it any longer....   'one of us.. one of us... one of us..".   I bet youre even beginning to catch a glimpse of why some riders want to chase the speed demons, even when we know its not the greatest odds for safety. Drugs come in many forms, mine comes in the form of high wind speeds and the humm of a single tire on asphalt. Just wait until you get a chance to try an mten or some other 'micro wheel' of quality. its a VERY odd thing to laugh at such a small wheel and then later, realize its got some goodies that you didnt notice on your larger ones. Bliss comes in many forms. When you think about it.. is the euc game REALLY that expensive? Look back and compare it to some of the other hobbies you may have had in the past. I can honestly say that the euc is a pretty good bang for the buck when it comes to dollars per smiles.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

The kids are finally getting back to real school. I just got back from the bus stop. I went with them to wait for the bus. I was riding the mten3. I was zooming around at 15mph. I have the 67 volt version. It has been holding my 250 pound plus weight without issue. I don't jump or curb drop. That would end the mten3 real fast. I have chugged up some hills with it but if it strains real hard I just carry it. So far it has 120 miles. At least 100 miles on the tubeless setup. After I had put the sealant in I haven't had to top off the pressure. It's been holding at 50psi.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

and it wasnt too long ago, you were wondering if you'd even be young enough to figure this out. WEll.... you are and have! Seems like you've nearly (or already have) reached that bliss when the wheel seems to read your mind. Until it happens, you just cant fathom how miraculous it is. You're in deep now. No need to fight it any longer....   'one of us.. one of us... one of us..".   I bet youre even beginning to catch a glimpse of why some riders want to chase the speed demons, even when we know its not the greatest odds for safety. Drugs come in many forms, mine comes in the form of high wind speeds and the humm of a single tire on asphalt. Just wait until you get a chance to try an mten or some other 'micro wheel' of quality. its a VERY odd thing to laugh at such a small wheel and then later, realize its got some goodies that you didnt notice on your larger ones. Bliss comes in many forms. When you think about it.. is the euc game REALLY that expensive? Look back and compare it to some of the other hobbies you may have had in the past. I can honestly say that the euc is a pretty good bang for the buck when it comes to dollars per smiles.

So true, o wise one... I do feel that I'm becoming "one with the wheel". Actually today was the 1st time I felt that. It was like I was wired to it. Incredible! 

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Isnt it amazing how you enjoy that first wheel so much still? Now you can begin to see why some of us like to claim that you won't 'outgrow' a wheel, just because you get another. There may be other green fields of grass, but its satisfying to know that its not actually greener. Grats for having multiples wheels and being able to enjoy them both! Sounds to me like youll be eyeballing a speed demon wheel in the near future! You'd be simply shocked at how much joy you could get from the lowly mten too. Simply mesmerizing. Tbf, Im waiting to fall in love with a suspension euc too. However, I've got girlfriends already and Im waiting for that low maintenance, small teeth, big mouth version to be born. SO far its just unreliable teenagers at the bar. Of course, its still early :)

Totally agree, i still use the v8 to go to the mailbox and to walk the dog and bring it with me random places just incase i need to walk somewhere. Big wheels just cant replace the little champ 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Right on! :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I hear you loud and clear. For me though, it was quite the opposite.. granted, my ”starter” wheel is a KS 16b/c... nothing that can compare to the 16X. However, when I got my Ks S-18 with suspension and then jumped back on the ”old” wheel, I was thoroughly disappointed, even scared. I guess riding almost 1k km on the suspended wheel gave me a bad habit of trusting the wheel and suddenly all the small bumps, roots etc on the old wheel almost gave me a heart attack... until I calmed yself down and started to ride the old wheel like i used to.

this is why I honestly would not recommend anyone to start riding with a suspended wheel. It creates ”bad” habits since you dont have to rely on your knees for suspension... on the other hand, nothing makes you appreciate the true power of a suspended wheel until you jump back on a non-suspended wheel after getting used to the suspension.

on a side note though Paulo. I sincerely dislike you... here in Finland it is still -2 degrees and my wheels have been in hibernation since November and reading your trials and tribulations makes me insanely jelous! The weather forcast for next week is +10mby wednesday, so maybe I get to ride again soon!

I am happy that you enjoy this new kind of ”freedome”, even at your advanced age (pun intended)... just kidding, I wish I can still ridemwhen I am your age.

• Like 1

@FinRider if it's any compensation when I started in January an February, it garage every day because it wouldn't stop raining.

But I feel for you 😊... Especially when today I had my longest ride... With only a t-shirt and shorts. Man, did I feel free... 

You said something EXTREMELY IMPORTANT:  no one shouts but a suspension wheel as 1sr wheel. It is a big mistake. Strangely enough, when I got into the 16x today I didn't feel that insecurity you mention. It felt as easy as pie. Even my only hard handicap: mounting the second foot at startup. Maybe because in comparison with the 22cm height of the V11 pedals... the 16x 18cm height... seemed so low 😁😁😁

And I remember, when I bought the 16x, that thise 18cm were my biggest fear. 

... How our perceptions change... 

BTW, what is your opinion on the KS 18s and its suspension? I ask because our companion @ShanesPlanethad the worst possible experience with his. 

• Like 1

You cheated. You defeated the first learning curve on the 16X. You will forever be a hard tail taught..too late!  Its the s18 btw. I believe the 18s was another wheel? Maybe im just thinking of the 16s. Yeah, locksong went all out in the name department. I do belive you have easily crossed over into the 'false confidence' stage of riding. Im pretty sure I live in this stage and man is it fun! Just be ready, as the price you pay has gone up considerably. That ground may not look like its faster than you can run it out.... usually it is...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FinRider said:

I hear you loud and clear. For me though, it was quite the opposite.. granted, my ”starter” wheel is a KS 16b/c... nothing that can compare to the 16X. However, when I got my Ks S-18 with suspension and then jumped back on the ”old” wheel, I was thoroughly disappointed, even scared. I guess riding almost 1k km on the suspended wheel gave me a bad habit of trusting the wheel and suddenly all the small bumps, roots etc on the old wheel almost gave me a heart attack... until I calmed yself down and started to ride the old wheel like i used to.

this is why I honestly would not recommend anyone to start riding with a suspended wheel. It creates ”bad” habits since you dont have to rely on your knees for suspension... on the other hand, nothing makes you appreciate the true power of a suspended wheel until you jump back on a non-suspended wheel after getting used to the suspension.

on a side note though Paulo. I sincerely dislike you... here in Finland it is still -2 degrees and my wheels have been in hibernation since November and reading your trials and tribulations makes me insanely jelous! The weather forcast for next week is +10mby wednesday, so maybe I get to ride again soon!

I am happy that you enjoy this new kind of ”freedome”, even at your advanced age (pun intended)... just kidding, I wish I can still ridemwhen I am your age.

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You cheated. You defeated the first learning curve on the 16X. You will forever be a hard tail taught..too late!  Its the s18 btw. I believe the 18s was another wheel? Maybe im just thinking of the 16s. Yeah, locksong went all out in the name department. I do belive you have easily crossed over into the 'fasle confidence' stage of riding. Im pretty sure I live in this stage and man is it fun! Just be ready, as the price you pay has gone up considerably. That ground may not look like its faster than you can run it out.... usually it is...

Silence, o bearer of bad omens and bad tidings!!! If I fall, I'll blame you @ShanesPlanet, for jinxing me!!!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

BTW, what is your opinion on the KS 18s and its suspension? I ask because our companion @ShanesPlanethad the worst possible experience with his. 

Shane was absolutely right. My wheel is a ”1st batch” wheel. I have no idea why we have started naming these wheels in batches to try to identify what mods are done to it by the factory. Technically my wheel is what in normal manufacturing processes would be the 0-series wheel. Not a prototype but the first run off the production line.

And boy did it suck. My suspension would only travel about 20% of what it was designed to do. I have written in other threads about all my challenges with this wheel... i took the sucker apart and fixed the major flaws by the end of last summer, which made the wheel very enjoyable.

and at the end of my riding season I tore it completely apart and rebuilt it... so I am keen to see how it has improved the wheel. I ride a mix of urban and trails and the stock tire delivered on mine was a street tire. I managed to source a H-666, which I put on during the rebuild so grip on the trails should improve alot.

My two final mods that I will be doing before the season really starts are custom power pads and mtb spiked pedals.

So my perspective on the wheel has changed from utter disgust at the KS build quality to admiration for the design... but it did require a fair bit of TLC to get to that point.

• Like 3