Ninebot One E+, I just had my first cut out at 650 miles

Student4Life

Just now my Ninebot One E+, purchased new in the box in mid-2020, cut out.  My riding weight is about 140 lbs.  My battery was at 42%.  My odometer is about 650 miles.  I wasn't even going full speed (which if I were is only 14mph).  It didn't warn me by alarm, just spontaneously shut off.  But I could feel that I was pushing the EUC, I over-leaned, an acceleration not speed cut-out.  I want to share with anyone considering safety gear or the E+ the experience that as of 2020 the Ninebot One E+ design still has cut-outs.

Before buying an EUC I researched cut-outs / cut-offs by searching the internet for "EUC cut out" and a year number.  What I saw was a lot of reports in the forums through 2018 that the battery management controller chipsets were by design protecting batteries instead of riders.  Then in 2019 I found one report and it described a manufacturing defect at 200 miles that was repaired under warranty.  So I avoided buying a used EUC, and instead I bought my introductory EUC in June by picking up a factory fresh Ninebot One E+ that I thought was using newer components.  Seemed like the perfect learner unicycle for discovering whether I even liked EUCs or not, and whether I was even capable of riding one, and what features I would want if I bought a more expensive one.

We had such a great time together, the Ninebot and I, I thought we were communicating and getting along so well.  I often wanted more speed, but I loved that I wasn't needing any safety gear other than a helmet because I could run my way out of a full-speed crash, leaving the E+ in a penny spin.  And so I respected the Ninebot's nagging beeps, the box it was keeping me in, and slowed back down a little.  And I wasn't wearing wrist guards, elbow pads, or knee pads because I felt like I those were for going faster than my legs could keep up, beyond the parameters of the E+.

I used the ninebot to introduce a buddy, he loved it and quickly bought an S18.  He had learned with the S18 to do tight circles on one foot, then came back to the ninebot and was just turning circles on a basketball court with battery at about 40% and it cut out for him.  Fortunately he was wearing safety gear for the S18, scraped up the gear.  But he's heavier than me, around 225 riding weight, I thought maybe he just had less operating margin compared to specifications and that was why he had a cut out when I never had one.

Not so, now it's happened to me.  I came to a full stop on a sidewalk at a T intersection.  A driver motioned for me to cross.  I accelerated enough, and then I leaned some more.  I could feel that the E+ wasn't keeping level, I leaned back and it rolled back under me.  No speed alarm.  I leaned again to reach speed, and it just spontaneously shut off, dropped me into a push-up position about 2/3 of the way through the intersection, I skidded quickly to a stop by the skin on the palms of my hands.

So that 's what a cutout feels like on the 2020 Ninebot One E+.  My wrist is sore, but frankly I'm glad to add this relatively sand-boxed experience to my base of experience.  It will remind me why I should pause to put on safety gear.  By now I'm a super confident rider.  In fact I have a Gotway MTen3 already shipped and arriving tomorrow, I thought I was ready to move up to a faster, more agile, longer-distance EUC.  Maybe that's why I was pushing the Ninebot.

Edited by Student4Life
incorrect model number
  • Like 2

The E+ has a small battery, and these are just limited in how much power they can provide. No way around it with current battery technology. So these small batteries are just unsafe, period. Sadly, your overleans/cut-outs are no big surprise there.

7 hours ago, Student4Life said:

In fact I have a Gotway MTen3 already shipped and arriving tomorrow, I thought I was ready to move up to a faster, more agile, longer-distance EUC.  Maybe that's why I was pushing the Ninebot.

The mten3 is the faster, longer distance EUC?B) Or do you plan on a "big" wheel, too?

Either way, everybody who got an mten3 seems to love it, so good choice!

13 hours ago, Student4Life said:

I felt the E+ wasn't keeping up, I leaned back and it rolled back under me.  No speed alarm.  I leaned again to reach speed, and it just spontaneously shut off, dumped me about 2/3 of the way through the intersection, I skidded quickly to a stop by the skin on the palms of my hands.

Yes, the Ninebot E+ can cut out due to aggressive acceleration/overlean. Harder to do with today's wheels, but they're not foolproof either - for ex. I've heard of similar cut outs with the S18, though you'd have to pretty much be doing a full Kuji lean I'd imagine.

Through over 2000+ miles, I haven't experienced overlean cut outs (knock on wood), but have danced on the edge of speed cut outs. Normally tilt-back will kick in before that can happen, but I think since I've unlocked the max speed to 30km/hr, the wheel definitely struggles and fails to deliver any tilt-back around that speed. Mostly the wheel stays horizontal and goes neutral for a moment, but sometimes accelerating into the edge the wheel will start dipping forward while feeling like it transitioned into neutral-gear. The loss of control (insofar as being able to accelerate or decelerate) can throw you off if you don't immediately muster all faculties to hang on for dear life. The few seconds it takes for it to kick back into gear seem like an eternity. This might be what Eckhart Tolle was on about in his description of the "now". Anyways, the experience never concludes without at least a proper jolt of adrenaline up the spine.

It's likely that you overleaned the wheel too hard too fast, but I have never experienced it. I have hit tiltback a lot and continued to ride it without loss of power.

Does your battery show 100% after full charge? If not, you may have a bad cell in the pack.

Is the battery wrap blue and does it have the OEM Ninebot One sticker? Is it a 320wh battery (E+ battery) or 340wh (P battery)?

I have experienced three battery cut-outs on two different 340wh Ninebot P batteries purchased from Speedyfeet (yellow wrap).

My only NB E+ cut-outs have occurred after tiltback due to overheating, so exercise caution in the summer Texas heat. @enaon has an easy and clever cooling mod, so you may want to consider doing the same.

Otherwise my nearly 5-year-old original battery is still rock solid, and my first two spare 320wh batteries have been rock steady.

I would suggest taking a very close look (and sniff) of the control board as well.