esaj

Headache

13 hours ago, esaj said:

The industrial look is nice, and clearly it's directed to people like construction workers etc, as it should withstand a 6-foot drop to concrete, and 2m/7 feet submersion for a while (5m/16 feet up to one hour when the small switches in front are turned to the "5m"-position, which seal speaker and microphone etc. holes) as well as the military specification demands for dust/shock/etc. -proofness, not that I have tested dropping or submersing it, nor do I plan to

That is one rugged phone. I could have used that durability on many occasions. Not sure how commercial protective phone covers would fair from a 6 foot drop onto concrete. 

13 hours ago, esaj said:

I was expecting to find at least a few dead panels, so no surprise here. I'd be a lot more worried if the heating wires inside the floor concrete slab would have been broken, as replacing those is hard (tear off all floor tiling, jackhammer the slab, remove old cables, install new ones...)

I vacillated back and forth about installing  a heated tile floor in my new bathroom  but decided against it just for that reason.. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Didn't your mom tell you not to vacillate so much, or you'll go blind?  :whistling:

Speaking of blind, I haven't seen @esaj in ages?  Where he be?  I'm regreting subliminally planting that idea to go to electronics school to further his passions.  We miss you man!  Come back to us!  First it's @Cloud vanishing into thin air like a cloud, and now @esaj has gone missing.  Or is he giving us the silent treatment?  There's gotta be some electronic gizmo or difficult to comprehend schematic you can share?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Didn't your mom tell you not to vacillate so much, or you'll go blind?  :whistling:

Speaking of blind, I haven't seen @esaj in ages?  Where he be?  I'm regreting subliminally planting that idea to go to electronics school to further his passions.  We miss you man!  Come back to us!  First it's @Cloud vanishing into thin air like a cloud, and now @esaj has gone missing.  Or is he giving us the silent treatment?  There's gotta be some electronic gizmo or difficult to comprehend schematic you can share?

I think esaj is simply very busy. He posted in the moderator's section a couple months ago saying how busy he had been. So i think he is ok!

Edited by Cloud
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 4:51 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Speaking of blind, I haven't seen @esaj in ages?  Where he be?

On 5/9/2018 at 11:51 PM, Cloud said:

I think esaj is simply very busy. He posted in the moderator's section a couple months ago saying how busy he had been. So i think he is ok!

I do miss @esaj‘s comments and interaction.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nah, didn't go to electronics school or such, mostly just been busy & tired, and things got a bit hectic. I actually resigned from my job at one point, but then ended up taking a part-time contract. ;) Not much been going on in the electronics-side, the last thing I did was this in early Feb for a company year kick-off costume-party:

It's just a bunch of "chainable" RGB-LEDs (WS2818/"Neopixels") and a controller for them. I used some velcro strap to attach it around my arm, with the final version having the controller glued to the back of the board and power wires running under my shirt to a battery in my pocket... The board and the "faceplate" are milled, the black part in-between is 3d-printed.

Not much been going on since, someone did ask me for some help with building a speedometer for their wheel, but don't know if he ever finished it.

I did get a couple of 0-100V adjustable linear power supplies, although only one of them works:

wKygezT.png

The non-functional one does power up, the display works and allows adjusting the voltage etc, but when any current is being pulled from the outputs, the voltage drops near to zero. Could be that the current limitation is broken and activates regardless of where the actual limit is set to? It does help to have the identical working unit, so I can compare voltages and such between them.

The company who made these sometime in the 80's has been defunct since early 2000's, and there's no schematics available, so I have to do some reverse engineering to find out what's wrong with the other unit. There's a lot of wiring and 4 separate boards (+ large other single components) in these things, luckily they use just plain through hole (THT) -components and not really many integrated circuits, so poking around is easier than with highly integrated/SMD boads. Also the wiring is done very neatly and it seems most of the boards have contactors so it's possible to pull them out and put them back in. Still, it's not very fast to figure out things (and I haven't really even began yet) and I have to be careful because I'll have to power them up every now and then to measure voltages going up to 115V AC or more in there (around 230V AC at the input to the large toroidal transformer). Since I've so far been working around just with low voltage DC-stuff, it's a bit nerving ;) Also, the large capacitors (the big black blobs attached by white zip ties) hold the charge after power down and need to be discharged safely before poking my hands in there or measuring resistances or continuities.

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, esaj said:

Nah, didn't go to electronics school or such, mostly just been busy & tired, and things got a bit hectic. I actually resigned from my job at one point, but then ended up taking a part-time contract. ;) Not much been going on in the electronics-side, the last thing I did was this in early Feb for a company year kick-off costume-party:

Welcome back!! I thought we awoke a hibernating bear but you have been busy. Your custom LED logo is fantastic! You could easily sell them to member featuring a Gotway, Kingsong, Inmotion or Ninebot led logo.

42079131781_935177bc77_b.jpg

52 minutes ago, esaj said:

Also, the large capacitors (the big black blobs attached by white zip ties) hold the charge after power down and need to be discharged safely before poking my hands in there or measuring resistances or continuities.

Toughen up Esaj! You know how much we enjoy burnt hands on this forum.  :roflmao:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

That was a lot less dramatic than expected. Trying the faulty supply again, I could not get any voltage out from the outputs. I tried swapping the secondary board with connectors between the two units, but the working one was still working and the faulty one still didn't give out any voltage. Measuring around the outputs in both supplies, I found similar voltages with same settings on both units, all the way to the capacitor which (presumably at that point) was in parallel with the outputs. The most likely culprit was simply a bad contact at the output banana terminals.

Most of the time was spent figuring out how to dismantle the front panel and the switches and boards attached to it so that I could get enough space to get to the terminals and then prying the nuts holding the board in place as I didn't have a suitable socket for a wrench and there wasn't much space. 

The board finally off:

PebRHc2.png

The banana terminals were simply connected by two screws on both sides of the board, pushing a lock washer against the traces. Over time, the contact has become worse, and when it originally dropped the voltage to near zero when I put any load on the outputs, the voltage was being dropped in the bad contacts. Apparently after that they didn't make any contact any more, as I didn't get readings from the output. I ended up simply soldering wires from the bananas and the middle connector (chassis ground) and put some foam plastic there to keep the board from making contact with anything. I then tested the supply with 100V idle, 50V / 0.1A load and 4V / 1A load (as I didn't have anything much more suitable in regards of power resistors or other load) and everything just worked. Also checked that the board or the parts near it don't get too hot to melt the foam plastic.

While nothing near the foam got hot, some of the components do run pretty hot: 

Power resistor and a couple of transistors in the secondary board:

08hY551.jpg

Power resistors in the rectifying board:

Z4aep5w.jpg

There's also a large TO-3 -packaged power transistor that sits against the chassis, but it never got higher than 40 degrees. Didn't really run the tests for very long either, something like 15 minutes each.

I didn't take much pictures during the work (also I've noticed that the Cat S60's camera software, or maybe the camera itself, has horrible auto focus when trying to take close ups), but here's a couple that some people might find interesting:

v0ikNfk.png

Like I said earlier, the supplies don't contain any SMD (surface mount) -components, and also very little in terms of integrated components (not much need really) and a lot of things are made with discretes, except the board running the 7-segment panel in the front showing voltage or current seems to contain more logic chips. The round components in the middle and to right are actually OP07- op-amps, and the one on the left is MC1741-opamp in a (nowadays) uncommon TO-99 package:

b_20539.jpg

MC1741CG.jpg

I didn't try to reverse engineer the board really, since swapping them had no effect, so no need to look for a fault.

The more (or at least slightly) interesting bit is the backside of the board:

ldzJ2ap.png

Back in the day, something like 70's and 80's I think, when PCB design and manufacturing was already more "industrial", small scale production runs and hobbyists still used boards that were drawn by (free) hand, sometimes directly to the film, then exposed the PCBs with UV and then etched and drilled them with their own hardware. It seems that these power supplies, while likely made in hundreds or thousands, were still too small scale (too costly) to make the boards in a PCB factory, or maybe they just had old school -designers who liked to design their boards by hand and the final boards are factory-made. Still looks a bit weird having accustomed to modern (usually) computer designed boards, and mind you that this is still an actual commercial product. You can find similar boards in lots of old devices dating to 70's and back, and some in newer products too. In DC/nothing really high frequency -stuff it doesn't really matter that much (to my knowledge) as long as safety distances for high voltage traces etc. are maintained.

Now that I have a working (up to) 100V DC power supply with current limits, I can test stuff that's supposed to run off of wheel batteries (16S or 20S) without needing to use actual batteries. The originally working unit goes back to a friend that had bonked them from somewhere a while back, and dropped them off saying I can keep the faulty one if I can fix it  ;)

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Looks like a board I made once in electronics class.  Except we used these little rolls of thin black tape and mini black O-ring stickers.  :sleep1:  I do recall the dark room for exposing and etching the boards too.  Fun stuff.  We used to fry diodes, resistors, capacitors, you name it with our bench power supplies.  Some things would glow red while others exploded.  :w00t2:

I thought you were making autonomous robots in some sort of class there?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Looks like a board I made once in electronics class.  Except we used these little rolls of thin black tape and mini black O-ring stickers.  :sleep1:  I do recall the dark room for exposing and etching the boards too.  Fun stuff.  We used to fry diodes, resistors, capacitors, you name it with our bench power suppies.  Somethings would glow red while others exploded.  :w00t2:

I thought you were making autonomous robots in some sort of class there?

The course was between September and December, I haven't really touched the robots since :D I've actually had those power supplies laying around since mid-February, just today got around to finally start figuring out what's wrong. Between there and now I haven't really done much anything.

• Like 1

It's time to go riding with your fellow Finlandic riders!  There sure seems to be a larger number in your part of the woods.  Get any ride time in with the KS16s?  Any luck getting the gf riding?

House still needing work?  2D mill collecting dust?  I thought you would be into 3D printing by now.  I still haven't got enough room here to even think about getting a printer.  I've got too much junk sitting around.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Trying to keep this short:

On 5/13/2018 at 11:45 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's time to go riding with your fellow Finlandic riders!  There sure seems to be a larger number in your part of the woods.  

Not in this town, but in general it seems more riders are finding their way at least to the forums.

Get any ride time in with the KS16s?  

Yes, not really long trips so far, but I commute on it daily now and sometimes take some longer laps.

Any luck getting the gf riding?

Nope, I'm considering selling the KS16B, that's why I rode it all the way to empty tonight (or until I couldn't stand the constant beeping that starts when the voltage drops to below 50V or so). Might have to leave it sitting turned on next evening, as it'll likely bounce back up a bit, then let it sit off for a while before charging & measuring the battery capacity.

House still needing work?

Always

2D mill collecting dust?

For the past few months, yeah, I'm building up parts list for an adjustable load (a project that I've meant to built for at least 1.5 years or so, never had proper cooling components and such)

I thought you would be into 3D printing by now.  I still haven't got enough room here to even think about getting a printer.  I've got too much junk sitting around.

The printer too has mostly sat unused lately, I've also spent most of my PLA filament (something I need to order too) and left with a couple of kilos of ABS, which has been pain to print with. Usually my printing needs go hand in hand with the electronics projects, so kind of follows with the pause there... It's handy otherwise, but making any larger parts with it is sloooow (like 4+ hours print jobs) and sometimes it may need a few tries before getting things correct, so in addition to space, it also takes a lot of time to "find" the good settings. It's fun to watch though, well, maybe not for hours straight  ;)

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1