Chicway honeycomb pedals on MSX

MaxLinux

I recently put Chicway honeycomb pedals on my MSX. I don't know how they fit on other Gotway wheels, but they are not ideal on the MSX because: 1. They are very tight and snug, so they do not flip up and down freely. 2. The pedal angle is too steep, even steeper than the original MSX pedals. 3. Chicway says the height is "adjustable" but the only adjustment available is by adding a spacer to make the angle even steeper. 

Chicway claims the pedals fit "all Gotway models." Yes, they fit the MSX in the sense that they can be attached, but most people who read that pedals "fit" are expecting a better result. Most people who read that pedals are adjustable would expect that a super steep angle could be lowered.

Bear in mind, I am commenting specifically on how these pedals fit the MSX.

The pedals themselves are very nice. They look and feel very high quality. The built-in spikes provide a secure grip. They look much cooler on the MSX than the original pedals. But if you have a MSX and are considering Chicway pedals, I have to advise against them.

• Like 1

I ended up filing the pedals for a lower angle and for a looser fit against the spacers. Now they flip up and down freely and have about the same angle as the original MSX pedals.

In the attached photo one can see the pedal angle after filing (left) and the ridiculously steep angle before filing (right).

ChicwayPedalsOnMSX.jpg

Edited by MaxLinux
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 5:30 AM, MaxLinux said:

I filed the pedals, not the hangers, by clamping them in a vise with 2 layers of cardboard to protect the finish, then filing them with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077QF9L9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ah ok thanks, how much filing did it take and ain't you worried about it weakening them? I have them on my MSP and they were more angled than my stock pedals aswell but after a couple of rides iv gotten used to them and they just feel normal now ☺️

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

On the wall about getting a set of these for my Sherman... which translates to if I do not buy them tonight I will buy them first thing in the morning LOL. 

My brother... from another mother. I'm exactly the same way. I get that bug over something and teeter about it all night. Decide I'll just wait as I dont really NEED it. First thing in the morn.... gotta have it, done and done! If i wasnt waiting so patiently on nylonove, I'd have already invested in some kind of pedal swap myself. Not because the sherm pedals arent grippy and awesome. SImply because I cant think of any other farkles it needs. Let me know how you like the pedals, as soon as you get a chance to scuff em!

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

On the wall about getting a set of these for my Sherman... which translates to if I do not buy them tonight I will buy them first thing in the morning LOL. 

Just before you go ahead and click the "Buy" button, just be aware that there have been some breakages with these Chicway "cast" pedals!

Chicway pedals

NyloNove are expensive but were well worth the outlay for me, but there is a good reason for the higher cost.... No Way will they split apart like the Chicways!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Just before you go ahead and click the "Buy" button, just be aware that there have been some breakages with these Chicway "cast" pedals!

Chicway pedals

NyloNove are expensive but were well worth the outlay for me, but there is a good reason for the higher cost.... No Way will they split apart like the Chicways!

More cast chinesium? TO be quite honest, THIS is why I haven't bothered to order any from the euc companies or similar. We all know how the materials can be a little iffy. Im sure cast can be plenty strong, tho I'd put more faith in a boutique milling process. Of course Im SURE the prices are vastly different. If you get a good set of chinesium, they may be just fine and you save yourself a mint. Im a little feared for the price of a set of nylonove to the states.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

Chicway pedals

Yea i saw this picture when i was doing my research, this 1 post on facebook and its lead to the community shitting on them so let's give a little context shall we? it's literally the ONLY example of a broken pedal from probably thousands sold that i could find so quite clearly a faulty set which you get with anything you buy.. Glad i wasn't put off by the negatively towards these pedals  and i would 100% buy again, btw  how many % of 'chinesium' stock pedals fail from average use?  its pretty rare from what iv seen on social media. not saying NyloNove aint better just saying from my experience theres nothing wrong with the chicways... There's another huge factor to be considered here and that's availability, NyloNove is never in stock so virtually impossible to get a set or atleast that was the case when i was buying .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Wood said:

‘David wood writes:
‘it's-literally
 the ONLY example of a broken pedal from probably thousands sold that i could find so quite clearly a faulty set which you get with anything you buy.. Glad iwasn't put off by the negatively towards these pedals  and i would 100% buy again”

Actually David there were others who had broken pedals.. quite a few. Chicway sent them replacements and asked them to remove or not post pictures of their broken pedals. (trust me I have photos) I own them and like them, however I would keep an eye on them. It took me hours to file the pedals down to get the dihedral angle proper on my msp.

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2021 at 1:01 PM, Dave Wood said:

Yea i saw this picture when i was doing my research, this 1 post on facebook and its lead to the community shitting on them so let's give a little context shall we? it's literally the ONLY example of a broken pedal from probably thousands sold that i could find so quite clearly a faulty set which you get with anything you buy.. Glad i wasn't put off by the negatively towards these pedals  and i would 100% buy again, btw  how many % of 'chinesium' stock pedals fail from average use?  its pretty rare from what iv seen on social media. not saying NyloNove aint better just saying from my experience theres nothing wrong with the chicways... There's another huge factor to be considered here and that's availability, NyloNove is never in stock so virtually impossible to get a set or atleast that was the case when i was buying .

Broken pedals during a ride is one of the worst kind of accidents you can have on an EUC. How many have issues under normal use wouldn’t concern me at all when I could invest in pedals that I know not a single rider has had issues with. Even those who do really stupid things on their EUC. In my books having one single cracked pedal makes either the design, material or the manufacturing process faulty.

You could say that EUCs have spontaneous cutoffs as well. The context with that one is that they all do. If we get a relevant manufacturer with enough attention to detail not to have one single faulty mainboard, that manufacturer is going to steal a huge amount of customers from every current manufacturer.

Besides Nylonove there’s at least X-Road and the original Hextech. My X-Roads for V11 were shipped in a week or so, and though I have only had them for a few rides, I’m extremely happy with them.

• Like 2

I can only imagine pedals break under super heavy load while jumping or on a crash where the wheel tumbles and the pedals knock into something.
However you forget that your pedal hangers are also just poor pott metal and even if you have pedals build like a tank the hangers will likely be the next weak link in the chain.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DangerDan said:

I can only imagine pedals break under super heavy load while jumping or on a crash where the wheel tumbles and the pedals knock into something.
However you forget that your pedal hangers are also just poor pott metal and even if you have pedals build like a tank the hangers will likely be the next weak link in the chain.

my hangers are aluminum stock, not chinesium. Don't be shocked how some of us are a little skeptical of potted metals. Chinesium can sometimes be casted with weak spots and cracks and even hollow areas. Lack of QC or testing and a casted part can happen to be the same strentgh as a toothpick, tho look visually fine. Chinesium can also be brittle, so it can take very little to break them. Breaks may happens rarely, but not as rare as it would, if casting practices and materials were more closely monitored.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 hour ago, DangerDan said:

Pedals made from uniform material, yes, but the thing with low quality metal mixtures is that there are spots that are very strong, but there can be spots that are extremely weak. Like a badly mixed cookie dough; some spots are all flour and no egg, and they don’t take much force at all to crack.

The thickness of the pedals’ crucial parts is just a fraction of the thickness of the crucial part of the hangers. And hangers are solid aluminum in most wheels anyway.

A thick pedal hanger bolt snapped on my 16S a few years ago. It hadn’t snapped like any uniform material would, instead the crack had gone around this smooth lump, leaving it look like mashed potatoes with one small solid potato on top.

These are the old stock hangers of my sherman, they also have thin spots i wouldnt call bulletproof. You can also see how the angle adjustment screws of my pedals started to work into the hanger material after just ~3-400km casual riding.

20210401_173216.jpg

• Like 1

These are the old stock hangers of my sherman, they also have thin spots i wouldnt call bulletproof. You can also see how the angle adjustment screws of my pedals started to work into the hanger material after just ~3-400km casual riding.

20210401_173216.jpg

Exactly. Now compare it with the section of the Chickway pedals that had cracked:

image.thumb.jpeg.586698471a963fed99378457027a7a9b.jpeg

Are the original Sherman pedals adjustable? If they are and if there wasn’t a steel plate missing from your pedals, the Sherman designer clearly doesn’t know the most rudimentary aspects of various materials. Sure wouldn’t make me feel safe, warm and fuzzy riding such a wheel at 80km/h... :facepalm:

Na, the stock sherman pedals are not adjustable. I agree adjusting pedals just by screws pressing in the hangers without a additional protection is a flaw. Unfortunatly only nylonove pedals are made right.
Gotway, Clark pedals etc. lack the feature.

Regarding the cracked chickway pic, it would be interesting to know how long the pedal rod used in this case was.

Edited by DangerDan

24 minutes ago, DangerDan said:

Na, the stock sherman pedals are not adjustable.

What a relief!

24 minutes ago, DangerDan said:

I agree adjusting pedals just by screws pressing in the hangers without a additional protection is a flaw.

Well, don’t beat yourself up about it! :lol:

2 hours ago, DangerDan said:

Unfortunatly only nylonove pedals are made right.

Exactly my point from my original post. You coined it perfectly!

• Like 1