Mud Almost Killed my Wheel Today

Whalesmash

Story time here, there's a TLDR at the bottom if you don't want to read it.

Almost lost my wheel today partially due to some poor decision making on my part, but also contributed to by the design of the S18. Long story short, I made a poor decision to attempt riding through a muddy trail. Not like wet muddy, more like clayish muddy. Things were fine at first, but about half a mile in, my wheel was making real odd sounds and then shortly thereafter gave me my first ever EUC cutout. When I took a look at the wheel, the inner fender was so heavily caked in mud that the EUC was really struggling to turn the wheel. Darkness bot showed that my board temperature was climbing rapidly so I immediately shut the wheel down and sat off to the side of the trail for a few minutes. After things cooled down, I put the wheel in trolley mode and attempted to roll the wheel out. Didn't work very well, as the mud was really grinding the tire and preventing it from spinning without putting a huge amount of strain on the motor. Eventually I simply decided to carry the damn thing out of the muddy trail. A mile carrying an awkward EUC in my arms was not fun. I do not ever want to have to do that again. Once I was out of the muddy track, I set the wheel down and attempted to prod/pick mud out of the fender. Not very successful, wheel was still grinding a lot. Eventually I gave up picking out mud and decided to completely air out the tire. Thankfully this worked and gave me enough wiggle room in the tire to allow the motor to spin the wheel without drawing huge amounts of power and potentially overheating. Four miles later, I managed to walk the wheel back to my car and make it back home.

Cleaning process was not fun in the slightest. Basically required a full teardown to the point where I could split the fender apart and literally pull out bricks of mud. Probably could have pressure washed the inside of the fender, but I have no interest in testing the water resistance rating of my wheel. Now I don't ever plan to ride in mud ever again, but given the proximity of the wheel to the fender, I feel like this design has some serious flaws. There's maybe a centimeter gap between the rubber of the tire to the fender, meaning it's super easy for pretty much anything to get stuck in there. I am seriously considering taking a saw to that fender and being rid of the potential situation forever.

TLDR: Rode in mud. Mud caked up fender and locked up wheel. Had to walk/carry wheel 5 miles back to car. Don't ride in mud.

• Like 3

Kind of a huge design flaw for the the s18 considering its the wheel of choice for offroad.  I do not recall the MSP and MSX ever having mud build up inside the wheel to the point where they're inoperable.  Is there any other wheels out there that have this problem with mud?

• Like 1

The closeness of the fender IS a design flaw. Not only are tires (clean and new) rubbing, it leaves VERY little room for mud/rocks/sticks. Good luck with finding a selection of tires that will fit!  Coupled with the reality that building tolerances on eucs is dismal at best, the minor clearance of the fender if bound to be a problem. If oyu cant build something straight to within 20mm specs, not a good plan to build with 10mm clearances. It saddens me that we cant trust these things to even hose them off. A proper design would have allowed you simply dig out large obstuctions and run it in clean water as it spins itself clean. I guess those demo vids of people running an euc at speed in a lake by hand, arent too convincing are they?

Only REAL solution is to stay away from that clay type mud. I've been paranoid enough that i stil wont ride on wet roads or thru much for puddles. Too much money invested to lose it on something the earth is mostly comprised of AND falls from teh sky at random. With barely 600mi on my wheel and never in rain, my rim already looks like it was transported on the titanic and just recently found...  I love the euc, but not a huge fan of build/design quality. Funny what we learn to accept, when we've little choice but to ignore it or walk away altogether.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Just finished cleaning the very last bits out of some sections that I missed. There are some areas, particularly around the motor hub, which are within five or six milimeters of the fender. I will absolutely positively be avoiding this California clay stuff like it's hot lava whenever I see it in the future. Good grief, never want to go through any of this ever again. On the bright side, I got a free couple pounds of cali-clay I can fling at some porch pirates!

• Like 2

Just now, ShanesPlanet said:

Did you take a pic before and after? WOuld be cool to see a disasterously muddy wheel...especially when I aint the one cleaning it!

Unfortunately I did not. I do have some scattered debris strewn about the driveway, but my first thought when I got home was to immediately get to work fixing the thing. In hind sight, it would have been good to take some pictures of my suffering :w00t2:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

That stuff is no joke. My friend will not ride off road with me because of fears of damage via clay and other substances added to our local trails.

To be fair, it's usually not this bad, but southern California did just get its first rain storm on Monday and the trail I thought I could make it through was on the shady side. Couple that with cooler weather and it's a recipe for some clay that'll be around for quite a while. Live and learn I guess...

• Like 1

"My Name is Mud"!!  One of my favorites by Primus:)

Actually I did that yesterday, or at least I thought I did, thankfully there was a sliver of a path that was packed with leaves that I managed to stay on so the wheel didn't get the slightest bit muddy, I cringed when I rode thru it though...

• Like 2

Pretty much exactly what happened to my wheel except I managed to catch onto it before the motor/mosfets went nuclear. Looks like the S18 isn't the only wheel out there with less than ideal fender designs!

• Like 1

Had the same issue with my KS16S after riding 500m in wet loam.

Just trolleying the wheel next to me needed 2000 watts of power.

The only solution to drive again was to completely dissasemble the wheel and get the solid cloak out of the wheel arch...

On 12/31/2020 at 2:30 AM, Bumblebees said:

Is there any other wheels out there that have this problem with mud?

z10 has tight tollerance too, something similar happened to a friend of mine, he burned the board

Thanks for story/advisory. I never really thought of it. We have some nasty red clay. Great when dry (packs hard) but turns into cement after wet (boots and tires get caked up fast). Sometimes I’m 15 miles from anywhere, good advisory.