Rearview Mirror with a Camera?

I ride with a Shoei helmet. I have bought multiple bike helmet mirrors and none have worked for me except Bug Eyes, but my backpack blocks them. 

Ideally, I'd like to install a HUD with a camera for the rear. Skully went out of business, Reevu hasn't evolved and a few others are unproven. 

The wrist mounted mirror doesn't work for me because I have to lift, aim and focus. Ideally I'd like to glance and just see if I can change lanes, etc. And no, I am not comfortable turning my head...yet.

I'm eyeing this although it seems crazy to carry a monitor on an EUC. But I'm sharing to give you an idea of what I am looking for and to see if anyone knows of anything in existence that I can purchase.

• Like 2

This is interesting to me as well. I hate to admit, but 47 year old eyes can't focus up close, so even a wrist mirror kinda sucks unless I hold it pretty far away. But my vision a bit further out is excellent, so mounting to the v11 directly seems ideal (except for the whole "looking down" part).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

I ride with a Shoei helmet. I have bought multiple bike helmet mirrors and none have worked for me except Bug Eyes, but my backpack blocks them. 

Ideally, I'd like to install a HUD with a camera for the rear. Skully went out of business, Reevu hasn't evolved and a few others are unproven. 

The wrist mounted mirror doesn't work for me because I have to lift, aim and focus. Ideally I'd like to glance and just see if I can change lanes, etc. And no, I am not comfortable turning my head...yet.

I'm eyeing this although it seems crazy to carry a monitor on an EUC. But I'm sharing to give you an idea of what I am looking for and to see if anyone knows of anything in existence that I can purchase.

Nice helmet, i totally recognize the shape. Does it seem a little heavy? I've yet to wear mine on an euc, it just seems blasphemous. I mean shit, Shoei helmet quality makes these euc's look like heaps of trash in compare. I dont know about that entire camera thing. I would think it would take a LOT more effort to recognize what you see on that screen, than it would to turn your head or use a mirror. Eyes have to stop moving to focus and that screen wouldnt do much until you focused on it. Does the camera have built in stabilization? Hows the screen do in direct sunlight, does the lens suffer glare? I noticed a few HUD companies were coming along, but i didnt realize they were also failing at a rapid pace too. I looked into the hud thing, and its quite an investment for any sort of quality. I recall a company that was making tiny screens that went in the helmet or shined on the visor? It was all too damn cool, too new and too expensive so i forced myself to quit browsing. Let us know what you come up with, but i suspect a simple mirror is going to be the best option ,for now. Combined with turning your head, it may be the only real solution. How about one wide mirror on the brows with convex? Can you not aim the mirros wide and just turn your head a little so they show the right view? Maybe just print out breakaway extensions for your current mirror setup? Adding external farkles to a wheel, only works until you crash the damn thing. If you park in bad areas, I'd suspect that too many expensive gadgets, would only increase theft risk? Hell, just dont look back, make it exciting and swap those lanes on a mere leap of fatih :). Still, I dont really know. Maybe a rear cam with wrist mounted screen is the bees knees?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lillian said:

The wrist mounted mirror doesn't work for me because I have to lift, aim and focus

That's actually precisely why I like the wrist mounted mirror.  I tried a helmet mirror and it was so small and bouncy that it was hard to focus on (and I would need to manually switch from "looking ahead" to "checking the mirror" - it was never this passive awareness that I had hoped for) and difficult to aim.  The wrist mirror is effortless to aim and my eyes can focus on it much more quickly as it's not connected by a little pole and bouncing around in the wind.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Nice helmet, i totally recognize the shape. Does it seem a little heavy? I've yet to wear mine on an euc, it just seems blasphemous. I mean shit, Shoei helmet quality makes these euc's look like heaps of trash in compare. I dont know about that entire camera thing. I would think it would take a LOT more effort to recognize what you see on that screen, than it would to turn your head or use a mirror. Eyes have to stop moving to focus and that screen wouldnt do much until you focused on it. Does the camera have built in stabilization? Hows the screen do in direct sunlight, does the lens suffer glare? I noticed a few HUD companies were coming along, but i didnt realize they were also failing at a rapid pace too. I looked into the hud thing, and its quite an investment for any sort of quality. I recall a company that was making tiny screens that went in the helmet or shined on the visor? It was all too damn cool, too new and too expensive so i forced myself to quit browsing. Let us know what you come up with, but i suspect a simple mirror is going to be the best option ,for now. Combined with turning your head, it may be the only real solution. How about one wide mirror on the brows with convex? Can you not aim the mirros wide and just turn your head a little so they show the right view? Maybe just print out breakaway extensions for your current mirror setup? Adding external farkles to a wheel, only works until you crash the damn thing. If you park in bad areas, I'd suspect that too many expensive gadgets, would only increase theft risk? Hell, just dont look back, make it exciting and swap those lanes on a mere leap of fatih :). Still, I dont really know. Maybe a rear cam with wrist mounted screen is the bees knees?

I like the rear cam with a wrist mounted screen idea.:D

Good points about the shakiness. I ride with a rear cam (Cycliq), but it's in case an accident happens . The helmet with the mirror is Reevu. It's almost perfect but hasn't innovated.

I have a wrist mirror and may have to build up the comfort to use it as you and Barrett J pointed out. My fear is that by the time I raise it to try to focus, I've hit an obstacle.

The Shoei is my first motorcycle helmet so I didn't know what I needed and regretted buying it at first. I don't notice the weight, but I don't ride far nor often. I have a bike helmet (Lumos) too. But a little backstory is that while walking, I was run over by an SUV in 2015. So my safety gear is over-the-top but it's because I am still working through fear. Yeah, I know. Crazy to choose an EUC then, amirite? :P 

I ride/live/work in a nice area, but it's still NYC. I had one stranger ask how much all of my stuff cost (when I had a scooter). I just rode off. The worst I face in my area are spandex bandits who hate any electric thing on their precious bike lane. Too bad, suckerssss. 

Oh, I did the leap of faith thing this past Saturday when I didn't know until I was riding that I couldn't see behind me because of my backpack. Bad planning but I'll bring the wrist mirror next time until I can find my perfect HUD solution. 

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I like the rear cam with a wrist mounted screen idea.:D

Good points about the shakiness. I ride with a rear cam (Cycliq), but it's in case an accident happens . The helmet with the mirror is Reevu. It's almost perfect but hasn't innovated.

I have a wrist mirror and may have to build up the comfort to use it as you and Barrett J pointed out. My fear is that by the time I raise it to try to focus, I've hit an obstacle.

The Shoei is my first motorcycle helmet so I didn't know what I needed and regretted buying it at first. I don't notice the weight, but I don't ride far nor often. I have a bike helmet (Lumos) too. But a little backstory is that while walking, I was run over by an SUV in 2015. So my safety gear is over-the-top but it's because I am still working through fear. Yeah, I know. Crazy to choose an EUC then, amirite? :P 

I ride/live/work in a nice area, but it's still NYC. I had one stranger ask how much all of my stuff cost (when I had a scooter). I just rode off. The worst I face in my area are spandex bandits who hate any electric thing on their precious bike lane. Too bad, suckerssss. 

Oh, I did the leap of faith thing this past Saturday when I didn't know until I was riding that I couldn't see behind me because of my backpack. Bad planning but I'll bring the wrist mirror next time until I can find my perfect HUD solution. 

Before you invest too heavily, perhaps just carefully work with what you have and become more comfy about turning your head? Just like when we first learned to drive a car, it took a while to be able to use side mirrors or to check thru a turn. Im not saying to quit looking in front of you, but perhaps as you gain comfort, you will look ahead far enough, to alot you a moment to glance in a wrist mirror or turn. I know when I first started riding an euc, turning my head to look behind me, was VERY dangerous. Not only would I lose track of the road, I'd wobble horribly. Nowadays its not as much an issue, but I can definitely see how a mirror would be good with a lot of traffic. You managed to learn to use side mirrors in a car while traveling at 70mph on an interstate, there's no reason to assume you cant learn similar on the euc.

Shoei is a GREAT helmet brand. I spent 30+ yrs buying junk helmets. If it fits, the weight isnt that important. I have motoX helmets that dont weigh shit, but they dont fit properly. My shoei is heavier but feels a feather when on my head. I've about decided to put my badass rf1200 helmet into winter rotation on my sherman. Hell, I spent a mint on it, perhaps I can get more money's worth by using it on the euc. I know its quiet, comfy, uber safe and is wind tunnel tested for speeds triple my euc. Only reason I havent is that i fear scratching the helmet and I cant smoke in it. Yes, I need to knock the new off it and enjoy it. Of course, you knock the new off a helmet and its supposed to be replaced, right? As for over the top... hell, if you are comfy in it, and you already own it... how is it over the top? Even on an euc, if you ride among traffic, the car that hits you MAY be going motorcycle speeds anyhow. If the gear you have on is the gear you've worn since you began, it aint like you have a referance point. If what you wear feels good, wear it! Most of us are compromising on gear as we arent used to having the bulk and weight upon us. You dont seem to have that problem, so kudos to you!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Before you invest too heavily, perhaps just carefully work with what you have and become more comfy about turning your head? Just like when we first learned to drive a car, it took a while to be able to use side mirrors or to check thru a turn. Im not saying to quit looking in front of you, but perhaps as you gain comfort, you will look ahead far enough, to alot you a moment to glance in a wrist mirror or turn. I know when I first started riding an euc, turning my head to look behind me, was VERY dangerous. Not only would I lose track of the road, I'd wobble horribly. Nowadays its not as much an issue, but I can definitely see how a mirror would be good with a lot of traffic. You managed to learn to use side mirrors in a car while traveling at 70mph on an interstate, there's no reason to assume you cant learn similar on the euc.

Shoei is a GREAT helmet brand. I spent 30+ yrs buying junk helmets. If it fits, the weight isnt that important. I have motoX helmets that dont weigh shit, but they dont fit properly. My shoei is heavier but feels a feather when on my head. I've about decided to put my badass rf1200 helmet into winter rotation on my sherman. Hell, I spent a mint on it, perhaps I can get more money's worth by using it on the euc. I know its quiet, comfy, uber safe and is wind tunnel tested for speeds triple my euc. Only reason I havent is that i fear scratching the helmet and I cant smoke in it. Yes, I need to knock the new off it and enjoy it. Of course, you knock the new off a helmet and its supposed to be replaced, right? As for over the top... hell, if you are comfy in it, and you already own it... how is it over the top? Even on an euc, if you ride among traffic, the car that hits you MAY be going motorcycle speeds anyhow. If the gear you have on is the gear you've worn since you began, it aint like you have a referance point. If what you wear feels good, wear it! Most of us are compromising on gear as we arent used to having the bulk and weight upon us. You dont seem to have that problem, so kudos to you!

You are one of the reasons I like the EUC community on this forum. You have good advice while being kind. I got slammed on another platform for asking someone to swap my pedals because I don't know how. 

Anyway, thanks for the boost of confidence about learning to turn my head using your own example. I will work on that along with my wrist mirror. I have access to a safe bike trail that's miles long so I have no reason not to practice. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lillian said:

My fear is that by the time I raise it to try to focus, I've hit an obstacle.

My wrist mirror is large enough and I'm familiar enough with where it will need to be to get a good angle on where I want to see that the raise happens before the glancing away.  So it'll be 95% in position before I divert my gaze.

If I'm really examining what I do, though - I'm going to agree with Shane and recommend practicing looking backwards.  As what I do in almost all circumstances is use the mirror for quick glances behind me every so often (situational awareness) - and then if I'm actually going to do something, I check the mirror and then do a head turn to confirm.  Turning my head allows me to see so much farther and so much more clearly.  The mirror ends up being a quick test to see if it's worth it to commit to the head turn.

I can't remember who it was, but someone had a video on the look back and how it's not just a head movement, it's a stance change/weight shift, too.  I think it was more in the context of learning how to ride backwards.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

You are one of the reasons I like the EUC community on this forum. You have good advice while being kind. I got slammed on another platform for asking someone to swap my pedals because I don't know how. 

Anyway, thanks for the boost of confidence about learning to turn my head using your own example. I will work on that along with my wrist mirror. I have access to a safe bike trail that's miles long so I have no reason not to practice. 

You make me blush. I'm still a Toy R Us kid, even tho they closed and I'm 42. .. oh wait, you said 'kind', not 'kid'. Are you sure you got that right? I am usually quite a d**k. As for advice.... its the same as when Im at the batting cages. Even with eyes closed, I swing enough I hit one eventually! Keep us posted on your progress! Just remember, even in cars, we are taught to use mirrors AND verfiy what we think we saw, by turning our heads and double checking. Or at least the USED to teach us that stuff. @BarrettJ summed it up nicely. When turning your head your body kind of follows. Just practice on NOT leaning with your head turn. It will feel like you are leaning against the direction you look. Don't fret, it won't take you long to get it and it be another routine movement.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Another plug for practicing looking backwards. Practice a lot and start slowly, it does change your weight distribution and will make you tend to turn in the same direction your head is pointing. If you yank your head around suddenly, you won't be happy. I got a kick out of a Chooch video where he was on a dirt road and filming with a helmet mount (fairly unusual for him). He looked back seemed like every 10-15 seconds. For him, he's so used to it it doesn't affect his balance—I'm practicing and practicing so I can do a sudden quick check without fear like he does. Practicing frequent checking forms a good habit as a bonus. I use a mirror to spot bikes that are too far back to see with a shoulder check but are trying to catch up and pass me... if they have a headlight I know they're coming (and can gradually increase speed so they have to work harder and harder and... now that's just MEAN).

And practice looking over both shoulders too. You never know when you'll be riding in the UK.

Edited by Tawpie
wordsmithing
  • Like 2

@Planemo Thanks for the details. I never thought about it, but i would suspect that I also turn my entire body to look fully. With a helmet on it takes even more. THIS would explain why 'learning to look' is a thing and why it took a while to look but not swerve. Natural tendency to follow the meat bag on my neck I guess. Good info!

@ShanesPlanet indeed, takes a little training, first time I looked back using my FF helmet I slowly swerved out of the narrow bike lane onto bumpy grass. (And fell due to a larger hole) Better do it at slow speed without track restriction.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, null said:

@ShanesPlanet indeed, takes a little training, first time I looked back using my FF helmet I slowly swerved out of the narrow bike lane onto bumpy grass. (And fell due to a larger hole) Better do it at slow speed without track restriction.

You recall the first time you went for a ride in high winds or tried to hold a 9' selfie stick out to the side? Ah, so many fun memories already....

• Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 1:16 AM, xiiijojjo said:

I'm waiting for the Revan HUD dashcam kickstarter to become a product, it's seems like a great all-round HUD, front and back camera + comms. But as with all kickstarters i don't know what will become of this.

That's perfect and works with a Shoei. Ugh. As you stated, there's something fishy. I'll keep an eye on it though. If nothing else, it's a good point of reference for what I want even of I have to pay someone to make it. Thanks for sharing.