Nikola Plus questions

44 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Are you sure about that? ;)

Hahaha... 14300km. :roflmao:

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

44 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

What's a donkey brake? is it just doing a "sit" when trying to stop quickly? (I didn't miss a "h" there) :) 

It's braking more than required... like a mindless donkey. And yes... s(h)itting or some other crazy thing meant to push the limits of the wheel.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Immediately after the last post, I ordered my Nik+ from China and bought a neoprene cover locally. The cover arrived a couple of days later however the wheel never arrived. I've now ordered a wheel locally and it should be arriving next week if all goes well. Few more questions:

• Can the lights and current LED setting be turned off and on easily or do I need to cycle through everything? I often go into shops and having all the lights on makes it more likely that I'll be asked to leave.
  • I'm most likely to stay around 24-30mph - am I the slowest Nik+ rider out there? what would be my expected range (I'm 96kg)?
  • Do folk get the wobbles on their Niks? is there an easy way to avoid getting them? What's the best way to correct the wobbles if the occur?
  • If I always ride with the cover then would I still need pads? even under hard braking?
  • Can anyone recommend a rear light that will fit to the neoprene cover?

I originally bought the wheel from one of the aliexpress sellers (greentravel or something like that). With Covid, Brexit and port closures in Europe I ended up waiting for 3 months and eventually cancelled my order. I have now bought the wheel from a private seller of new wheels in the UK via ebay. It's not a perfect deal as he offers no returns and no warranty but it's a price I can afford. If I had just a little more cash then I'd of gone through a local supplier like erides or speedyfeet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 7:46 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

3.3V*24 = 79.2V is 0%, 4.1125V*24 = 98.7V is 100%.

Go linearly in between: Battery % = (your voltage - 79.2V)/19.5V.

[19.5V is just 98.7V-79.2V, the voltage difference between 0% and 100%]

For example 84V is (84-79.2)/19.5 = 0.246... = 25%.

Side notes:

• The 3 digit display won't show voltages of 100V or more because there's not enough digits, how very Gotway:facepalm::D

Hm - my Nikola Plus shows 100 V on the EUC!!

On 11/17/2020 at 9:03 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

My cells say 4.2V.

My understanding is 79.2V - 100.8V.

It goes slightly below 3.3V per cell though and I have been down to 78.5V and tiltback at around 20kmh.

Still I count it as 80V-100V and then it is easy to break it down in chunks.
95V = 75% (5 beeps at 59kmh).
90V = 50% (5 beeps at 56kmh)
85V = 25% (5 beeps at 53kmh)
80V = 0% (5 beeps at 51kmh)

image.thumb.png.f678c9575caa11cc24804f1cda2f145d.png

The last 6V won't last as long as the 6V in the middle. So % would need to follow a curve.
I can get 50km on the first half of the battery and 40km on the last half.
The last 2V just fly away as do the first 2V.

Sebastian (100kg) felt that 30 PSI was unrideable on my Nik with it's bald tyre. We lowered to 25 and it was great. I would choose 28-30 PSI for your weight but you might find it sketchy.

A tiny bit quieter. The beeper is it's own unit and has no relation to the speaker. A friend of mine built a delay into the speaker so that it powers on shortly after the power button is pressed and then the Super Mario sound has already played into a dead speaker.

That was Afeez and it was a customisation made for him by Gotway. I imagine the V-meter is programmable but I am the wrong kind of guy to get his hands dirty doing such things. 

I'm curious about this cell group voltage readout. Did you install a separate bms with bluetooth support? Can you see both packs? If you don't use the gotway bms, can you still get this other bms to work with the euc? (like charge, provide necessary signals)

Thanks

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Then they fixed it. The first Gotway displays didn't have enough digits to show 100V numbers. But this was long ago...

It will be interesting to see if my new Nik+ shows 100v.

Is the start up noise quieter on the new versions also?

My new wheel has arrived. It doesn't seem as big as I was expecting - it's been described elsewhere as a barge but it seemed a fairly normal size to me - it's wider than the 18XL but this wheel has a wider tyre and a larger battery pack so that seems fair. It will be raining for the next 2 days so I'll wait before giving it a run. Couple of extra questions though:

• Is there an easy way of turning all the lights (headlamp and LEDs) on and off? preferably with the LEDs going back to their previous setting. Just to make life easier when going into shops etc.
  • Can the LEDs be white in front and red to the rear?
  • Can you make the rear LEDs glow brighter when braking?
  • My wheel arrived with almost 100% battery. Do they ship wheels with 100% charge these days? It's possible it was charged for me before delivery by the seller.

All of my wheels came almost fully charged, so I guess so.

You can cycle the LEDs by pressing the power/lamp button, it changes at every third press, or just use the app. There is one mode where the front is white (also shows battery) and the rear is red that gets brighter when braking.