Whic one should I buy? Inmotion V8F or KingSong 14D

Hi to everyone. I have been looking for a e-scooter to buy then I found myself watching unicycle on Youtube. I have started looking for a conveninet onewheel for me around my budget. I live in Turkey and there is not so many riders here. I want to buy a onewheel just for having fun not for transportation regularly. I am a bit confused amid Inmotion V8F or KingSong 14D . I liked the appearence of KingSong 14D much more. The main confused point for me size of the tyre. I am not an expert but I think that 16" tyre should be better than 14" tyre. Could you give me advice which one I should buy? Thank you so much.

Edited by rdogus
  • Like 1

The 14" tyre will be more agile than the 16" tyre but both are relatively small by the standards of the latest generation of wheels.  Personally I think the 16" tyre is the sweet-spot for an all-round wheel and I trust Inmotion significantly more than King Song (see other threads on this forum).  For me, between these two wheels, there's no competition and the V8/V8F would be an obvious choice.

That said...

See if you can find an Inmotion V8 secondhand.  It's a great starter wheel, you should be able to find it used for €400-€450 and you should be able to sell it when you're done to fund a larger/better wheel.

• Like 2

Thank you StuartL for replying. As I said there are not so many unicycle riders in Turkey. It is very hard for me to find a used one. On the other hand, it will be more expensive when you buy something even though  a used one because of custom taxes in Turkey. I will buy a new one and the price of the two unicycles are almost equal each other. Best regards.

Kingsong is on par with Inmotion regarding reliability.

14inch wheels are fun and the KS14D good looking (Better than the inmotion IMO also), however it can get tiresome to ride if your ground is bumpy. Between the two I’d say v8(f) is a safer bet regarding comfort.

if you could stretch to a KS16S you’ll have quite a bit more range for not much extra weight and money.

You could most probably buy from aliexpress if no local dealers, just make sure they are selling international version (in case of KS)

Edited by null
  • Like 1

Everyone has their personal perception of aesthetics, some people appreciate good design, some people don't and say KS wheels look better than Inmotion :)

I considered 18XL, saw it, heard about its issues and chose V10F, it was about two years ago, I've heard that eventually 18XL issues were addressed.

I also visited Ecodrift, talked to their service, read their blogs and read other articles on the web before purchase. My understanding is that Inmotion wheels are more reliable than KS, or were. There are different models of course and a lot of satisfied KS owners. But I couldn't do it. I'm an engineer and I think KS lag behind as engineering team. I think that we see it again with S18 vs V11.

I don't say Inmotion wheels are perfect, there are several disappointing decisions in V10 vs. V8. In the end we make our decisions based on what matters to us most, I wish that tradeoffs were not so brutal, I'm looking forward to a market of well designed wheels where brand loyalty will be the main factor and not quality or looks. 

Edited by ( _ ) Alexey
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, null said:

Kingsong is on par with Inmotion regarding reliability.

Quoting from the linked post: flat tires, firmware failure and mechanical damages are not included

Given that most of the KS issues reported in the last 6-12 months are firmware issues (overspeed cutout without warning) and mechanical issues (loose panels, broken charge ports, S18 quality issues) this research seems incomplete :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StuartL said:

Quoting from the linked post: flat tires, firmware failure and mechanical damages are not included

Given that most of the KS issues reported in the last 6-12 months are firmware issues (overspeed cutout without warning) and mechanical issues (loose panels, broken charge ports, S18 quality issues) this research seems incomplete :)

The S18 isn't really in the scope of OP, and the V11 havent shown to be perfect either, so let's not derail this into yet another S18 vs V11 pissing contest. There is nothing vastly superior in inmotion "quality" (whatever you want to make it mean) as @( _ ) Alexey is saying, they have had their issues like everyone. As for looks it is subjective.

You can notice that I suggested going with the V8(f) between the two, I'm no fanboy.

Edited by null
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ( _ ) Alexey said:

I'm looking forward to a market of well designed wheels where brand loyalty will be the main factor and not quality or looks. 

To me it's the opposite, I dislike brand loyalty and prefer judging by model. To each their own.

• Like 1

Hi guys. I immensely appreciate all of your feedbacks. Today I also talked one of the local dealer who is also a rider. He advised me the one has a bigger tyre. From my point of view, I also liked the bigger tyre one. I liked the apperance of KingSong 14D much more than Inmotion  V8F. Well for many will not be a problem but I do not like the shiney parts in any kind of gadget like unicycle. But the performance and the tyre will be a much more drastic point for my choice. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rdogus said:

I do not like the shiney parts in any kind of gadget like unicycle

I agree that a V8/F might be more comfortable. You can always get a standard V8 cover to put on it, there are two prints, one grey and one black and white. 
That way it doesn't look so shiny. 

• Like 1

I started with a KS14D as a starter wheel and feel like I outgrew it within a month. It just doesn't have much range or power at all and it concerns me going over curb or bigger bumps with the 14" wheel. I am a little heavier than what it is rated for so that is part of my concern. It was a great wheel to learn on though and was relatively inexpensive compared to others. I haven't had the opportunity to try any other wheel yet so unfortunately I can't compare until my V11 comes in. 

• Like 1

I have a King Song 14D, and It has been a lot of fun. I crashed it pretty hard a few times and it still works. I changed the tube and it still works. I'm too heavy for it and it hasn't cut out on me yet. I did get a warning out of it by going back and fort on it till it gave me the over power warning. As has been mentioned a more powerful wheel with more batteries is always desired because at my weight between 200-206lbs it's only zippy fun for like 5 miles until the tilt back becomes a fun killer. The pedals are pretty small. It's nice and light and a lot of fun though. Definitely unsafe. I kind of wish I didn't get into this hobby because it's so fun and risky. I really want a more powerful wheel that isn't heavy, but when I bought this one used I just wasn't sure if I would like EUC's or not. And they are not cheap. Honestly it wasn't even really that fun until I got my balance without touching the body of the EUC and developed my muscles. I can easily see how people can say it's no fun because it hurts my feet and makes me sore too if I adjust the PSI or my stance until my muscles develop. Sometimes I wish I had got to try a V8 because it's more powerful. You will probably be pleased with either one and then want a more powerful wheel.

• Like 2

Thank you for you all responses. I ordered a black KingSong KS14D from a local dealer yesterday. I would want V8F instead but the price of it has been increased just in one week and I could only preorder it. The only concern about these two alternatives was tyre size for me. My height is 178 cm and weight is 84 kg.  I hope 14" tyre will not a problem for me. I will use unicycle only for wandering around for fun and not for regularly transportation everyday. Beside all tyre size concern, now my new baby is on my way and I am really looking forward it eventhough I can not ride yet a unicycle. Thanks for your help. Now it is time to learn it :) 

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting an EUC!

It's such a fun way to get around. I never really knew for a fact how different people really are because everyone reacts so differently when they see me.

Edited by maslorithm
too long
  • Like 2

Awesome! Enjoy!

A bit of determination and you’ll get there. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours to make your first several meters ride in one shot, then keep resting and practicing to finally get the relaxed stance you need to handle occasional wobble and to feel comfortable in general.

• Like 1