Do you use a backpack battery?

6 hours ago, marc said:

A big innovation in EUCs would be EUCs without internal battery where you carry your battery in your backpack that is coupled to your EUC with a cable.

ks16s_external_battery.thumb.jpg.4067834e5a4f9a4e7ae72514730e7092.jpg

Some of us already did such a thing to extend the range.

But you still need an internal battery. Otherwise you risk faceplants.
Backpack batteries as a main battery = terrible idea. Backpack battery as auxilary = good idea.

Most EUC's can be charged while riding, so often you don't even need to modify it.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:25 PM, Robse said:

how about riding with 7-10 kg batteries dead weight in the rucksack? + the other stuff?  IzNogood.

You get used to it. I routinely carried 1-2 spares at all times and occasionally 3 + a charger for longer trips.

The NB1E+ batteries only weigh 3kg 1.54kg (3lbs 7oz) each, so it was doable. I'm 155lbs and fit, which helps. 

I've carried 5 spares plus charger, lunch and a 2-litre water bladder on a 50 mile ride.

Edited by litewave
corrected the battery weight based on exact measurement
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I think the bigger problem is the the extra battery costs so much that it's just not worth it.

Nowadays, perhaps. I paid only $100-150 for each 320wh NB1 spare pack new.

I think this implementation would make sense if you own two of the same wheel, and borrow the battery/ies from the second wheel.

At least that's what I've been considering for my MCM5v2. This would be even easier for the Z10.

Edited by litewave

New idea: You are the battery, wheel converts body fat to energy and you loose weight in the process, go for a huge pizza 🍕 after every ride. Sag gets a new meaning, not recommended for light riders.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

New idea: You are the battery, wheel converts body fat to energy and you loose weight in the process, go for a huge pizza 🍕 after every ride. Sag gets a new meaning, not recommended for light riders.

That's the old style, man powered unicycle.. Nothing new.

33 minutes ago, Funky said:

That's the old style, man powered unicycle.. Nothing new.

Oh damn, and here I was feeling really creative! 😓

• Like 1

I made a tethered backpack battery for my S18, and let me tell you, it sucks carrying a single 360Wh pack. Can't imagine having to carry even 1kWh. Batteries are way heavy, best to let the wheel carry them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scubadragonsan said:

To recharge its battery, I think the whole shell of the wheel should be made of solar panel and in addition, a internal windmill can help to recharge also. Do any experts out there think this is feasible?

Not feasible. For a simple reason - charging times.

Let's say you cover the whole 19' circle radius with a solar panel. And it's facing directly the sun - you're not riding it.
19' circle = 0.18292 m2. Let's round it to 0.2m2.

Assuming 1000W per 1m2 that's 200W. Assuming 20% efficiency of a solar panel - 40W. A 1600Wh MSX covered in a solar panel would charge for 40 hours without a rider.
With a rider (obstructing 1/2 of a panel + not being pointed directly at the sun) even more - probably more like 200h.

There is also a durability problem. A solar panel requires a shell made of glass. One crash and your wheel is shattered.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

A wire running down your backside with enough amps to kill you? No thanks.

It's voltage that matters when touching the skin (+ how wet the skin is). And any kind of backpack battery is DC, not AC.
DC is about 2-5 times safer than AC when shocked (depending on who you ask). And voltage in an EUC is usually < 110V. So 4-10 times less shocking than EU electricity grid.
Add the fact that you're wearing clothes while riding AND you need to touch both positive and negative terminal while riding to get shocked (vs just one for AC)...

Potholes are 100 times more likely to kill you than a backpack battery. ;) A li-ion battery fire on your back is more likely to happen than you getting shocked while riding.

39 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

It's voltage that matters when touching the skin (+ how wet the skin is). And any kind of backpack battery is DC, not AC.
DC is about 2-5 times safer than AC when shocked (depending on who you ask). And voltage in an EUC is usually < 110V. So 4-10 times less shocking than EU electricity grid.
Add the fact that you're wearing clothes while riding AND you need to touch both positive and negative terminal while riding to get shocked (vs just one for AC)...

Potholes are 100 times more likely to kill you than a backpack battery. ;) A li-ion battery fire on your back is more likely to happen than you getting shocked while riding.

Have you tried taking a backpack off whilst wearing pads?

32 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Have you tried taking a backpack off whilst wearing pads?

My typical protection was helmet + wrist guards + knee pads + elbow guards, neither of which interferes with a backpack or a wire.

Edited by atdlzpae

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, wstuart said:

If I had an extra 900wh 100v gotway battery sitting around (with BMS), do you think I could wire it up to plug into my EX or my MSP to extend the range.  

I'm hoping I could just charge it externally, then throw it in a secure back pack and run a wire down my leg to plug into the "hot" charge port.   My MSP would turn into an Exn and my EX would turn into a Commander.  

Would it matter if the internal battery were LG50t and the external pack were Samsung 50G?

Of course you can... it's "parallel connection". 

On 8/11/2020 at 2:20 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Some clarifications on methods:

• Parallel connection: ("Vamp-and-ride" is the futuremotion jargon...)
    Using an auxiliary pack that has the same system voltage as the wheel.
    The external pack voltage (state of charge) must match the wheel voltage, before connecting the external pack. Failure to match voltage properly will damage the packs or blow fuses.
    A high-current input connector must be added to the EUC. (Typically the charging port is not sufficient.)
    The external pack must remain connected to the EUC for the entire ride, and will deplete at the same rate as the battery in the EUC.

If you're lucky, the current to the auxiliary pack will remain low enough during acceleration and braking that you won't trip the recharging port protection, but no real harm if you do.

You mentioned M50T cells... perhaps your backpack would be better with a thin steel firewall sheet built-in ;)