A bad fall I had

Steef Klonoa

I'm still on my first wheel, but I do have a good amount of riding experience with few crashes. At a little over 2,800 miles on my Z10. 

I have started trying to learn how to ride backwards. Since I have been only going about 5mph trying to do this I figured it would be no problem doing it without gear. I was totally wrong on this. At one point I lost my balance and slammed the ground pretty hard (on grass). I figured I was ok after that but 3 weeks went by and I had a headache every single day, still do. My hip also seems a little bit dislocated and my entire hip area is still sore.

I called my doctor the other day and they told me to go straight to the ER. This trip will cost me $$ for sure. I was just thinking maybe I needed a referral to go see a chiropractor.

Hopefully someone can learn from my mistake here. Even when you think you don't need the gear, you do.

• Like 1

i wish you full healt soon. You can make same damage to you body just slip in bathroom. You have unexpected fall no feel sad about that hapends.

Hip can heal 6 weeks try use it "normaly".

Try no use painkilers. Natural pain feel prevent you use damaged muscles to often this incrase regeneration. Pils can make you "robot" and overstretch overuse damaged muscles.

Chiropractor i dont think so not now maybee 2-4 weeks later. Belive me  im "chiropractic" too and one of basic rule is not adjust pople after falls crashes is too risky.

Continuous hedcase can be result brain damage this often hapend drunk people who fall.

Try check you blood presure damaged muscles and pain can impulse brain to stress reactrion what lead to incrase blood pressure and high blood presure make headcache.

Anyway contact doctor very smart choice. 

Thank you for sharing  you experience and i add human body is not optimized fall backward and this is fact.

• Like 2

Thanks @DjPanJan the doc said my blood pressure was 118 over something. I can't remember what the lower number was but she said it was great. I appreciate the advice! I am eagerly waiting on my new S18 in the mail too...but I will try to take it easy for a few weeks until it gets here.

• Like 1

Sad to hear about your fall! I hope the headache turns out to be something like the neck and shoulder muscles spasming because of a quick tensing up while trying to keep your head from hitting the ground, or something else less serious. That’s what happened to me when I fell and hit the back of my helmeted head to the ground. At walking speed nonetheless.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@ccoluni Thanks man, doc told me to do some physical therapy, they don't think anything is broken and think the headache is from a head injury. I didnt think I hit my when I fell, but I still have the headaches. Not sure what it is, I think maybe just whiplash? Either way I'm still wheeling. With the addition of some bodyprox hip/tailbone pads and an oneil chest/back protector.

• Like 3

@shellac very unfortunate, I remember reading this a while back. Sounded like he was on pavement when it happened. People like chooch or Marty make riding backwards look easy. I think it might take me a few more hours of practice to get it down. I won't try it again until I'm all healed up, and then I'll be wearing gear!

• Like 1

Its always better to be prepared or try to be prepared because human nature. You might say to yourself, oh hey its only 5km no harm but the ground is not made of jello or marshmallow right? Then ultimately you said that your fall will cost you. So either your rich or is a mutant if neither wear protective gear at all times.

Goodluck!

I’m not saying don’t do it all, maybe go slow and wear a helmet. 

I would also agree that you need further testing. You could have something bad like a chronic subdural hematoma.

If you get an outpatient head CT ordered through your PCP, or a neurologist, or possibly an Urgent Care center you can avoid a hefty ER copay for patients that are evaluated but not admitted. 

It’s always sad that you can recognize the Americans in here because they are worried about medical bills.

edit: I see that you saw a doctor already and you’re getting better so that’s good. If you were my patient you’d be getting a head CT though. 

Edited by shellac
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@ccoluni Thanks man, doc told me to do some physical therapy, they don't think anything is broken and think the headache is from a head injury. I didnt think I hit my when I fell, but I still have the headaches. Not sure what it is, I think maybe just whiplash? Either way I'm still wheeling. With the addition of some bodyprox hip/tailbone pads and an oneil chest/back protector.

Have you tried doing any light endurance exercise since the injury? For example, doing controlled exercise on a stationary bike in a gym.

Injuries to the brain that don't reveal changes during imaging (MRI, CT) are often metabolic in nature. Increasingly, assessment and rehabilitation interventions involve cardio exercise. If you're seeing a physiotherapist who has a background in concussion rehab they may be able to guide you through this aspect of recovery.

It's not necessary to hit your head to sustain a concussion, the injury occurs due to rapid deceleration. Think whiplash in a car, people don't usually hit their head in these events either and these accidents often involve injury to the brain.

All the above said, cervical/neck strain and injury is notorious for causing unremitting headaches as well.

Edited by UniMe

@shellac their reasoning about the brain CT was that since I had the headache at least 3 weeks and no neurological symptoms--weakness in arms legs, poor range of motion, incontinence, seizures, fainting etc. They said its highly unlikely blood is pooling in the brain, and CT could be unnecessary exposure to radiation. Through my googling I found something called occipital neuralgia. Im thinking that could be the cause of the headache because they did say I have a cervical strain. Just a guess.

If it was me (I'm in the final stages of a research phd in cognitive science) I would challenge myself, in an incremental manner, with some cardio exercise. I would start slow and see if this caused me to feel dizzy or in any way fuzzy or disconnected. If no, then I would gradually step up the intensity and stop to check my status at each step. I would do this until I was confident that I could push hard at 80% or more of my VO2 max.

If I became symptomatic during any step of this stress test I would be more inclined to believe I had a concussion. I would then seek out a PT who has experience in concussion rehab and work with that person to build back up my capacity. That's just me though, you do you :)

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

when I first learned to ride backwards I was going backwards and slammed into a railing, went ass over tea kettle was pretty hilarious actually.. fell a few times while learning to go backwards it's not at all like going forwards haha much harder to catch yourself

• Like 2