Anyone using a larger 16x2.15 tire? Is the difference noticable?

Tryptych

From what I've read the V8 can use a 16" x 2.15" tire (or was it 16x2.25?) instead of its stock 16" x 1.75"

So.... Has anyone tested this? How does it feel to ride on the slightly thicker wheel, is it noticeable?

edit: I've tried this and it did not work, I recommend you don't bother

Edited by Tryptych

Iirc, originally the V8 had a 16x2.125” tire, which is a standard used still on many wheels. Since the right tolerances made the tire rub in some occasions, they silently switched to the narrow 16x1.95” tire. The V8F brought back the 16x2.125” size, and I would think that they either changed the shell a bit or were able to locate a tire that’s on the smaller side of the standard.

I haven’t ridden on a V8 with a 2.125” tire, only 1.95” and 2.5”. The 2.5” is much more to my liking.

You could have issues with a 2.125” tire rubbing the shell, requiring modifications. But if you are fine with doing a bit larger mods, I would absolutely go for a 2.5” tire!

I changed the stock 1.95 tire back to a 2.125 Kenda K1087 tire. No rubbing, but it's really close to the shell. 

It is only 4mm wider and a little bit higher, but you can already feel a little difference when you ride offroad.

I upgraded the tire on my Glide 3 to the 2.125 Kenda K924. There is minimal rubbing when I have the tire inflated above 35psi, but for the most part it works very well. It did add a bit of road noise as compared to the thinner tire.

G3 tire.jpg

19 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I haven’t ridden on a V8 with a 2.125” tire, only 1.95” and 2.5”. The 2.5” is much more to my liking.

Hmmmm 2.5" ???  Didn't know you could do that! How did you mod your wheel to make that fit?

Can you guys tell me more about how it rides (on pavement) vs the 1.95"? Is it less maneuverable and does affect it your turns? etc

Thanks for the replies!

A wider tire allows lower pressure which in turns gives you more compliance/comfort on uneven surfaces at the cost of quick turning. The downside is easily manageable by simply learning how to control the euc, and is after a while even enjoyable for cruising as it's less nervous going in a straight line.

Both my V8 came original with a 2.125in tire.

Make sure that you center the tire properly. Many people rush the install and get an unbalanced tire rubbing etc. If you center it, not only do you get less rubbing but also nice high speed stability. Sometimes the rim itself isn't perfectly true so by offsetting the tire in the right direction you can deal with that.

What tire width suits you depends on personal preference, weight, terrain.

For a 60kg ridera 2.125in tire could be considered fairly wide but for a 100kg rider a 2.5in is too narrow.

A lighter rider can ride with lower tire pressure and enjoy a relatively narrow tire more than a heavy rider. You want to have compliance but you don't want to bottom out and damage your rim which is a part of the motor, an expensive component.

If you for any reason happen to dislike low tire pressures, there's basically no benefit of going wider.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Hmmmm 2.5" ???  Didn't know you could do that! How did you mod your wheel to make that fit?

It did require serious modification to the shell. I explained the process in its own thread at the mods section earlier this year.

5 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Can you guys tell me more about how it rides (on pavement) vs the 1.95"? Is it less maneuverable and does affect it your turns? etc

I feel that turns are what are affected most. While added stability makes it less nimble in some sense, it’s much easier to balance and control at slow speeds by tilt-turning. The wheel also tilts less while carving at speed.

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

If you for any reason happen to dislike low tire pressures, there's basically no benefit of going wider.

I disagree. Stability is better and the behavior different with higher pressure as well. To me the turning/carving behavior is the biggest difference.

For a similar ride though, a larger tire requires less pressure.

23 hours ago, alcatraz said:

21 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I feel that turns are what are affected most. While added stability makes it less nimble in some sense, it’s much easier to balance and control at slow speeds by tilt-turning. The wheel also tilts less while carving at speed.

Good info..

I am sold, I want to try a 2.125 tire. Its only about 8% wider than my 1.95 so I am really wondering if there will be much difference, but I want to find out.

Any recommendations on which brand to get? (and maybe where to get it cheapest in Canada?)

Thanks!

The CST C-1488 is slightly smaller than other tires of a similar rating, so it would be the safest bet regarding tire rub. But I’m not sure if it’s available in 16x2.125”.

Edited by mrelwood

• 1 month later...

I tried this today with a "Chao Yang" H-5146 tire which is 16 x 2.125" and marketed for the V8F.

Miserable failure... Two hours wasted... it did not fit....  

Once inflated it was slightly larger then 16" and rubbed against the frame everywhere, would not turn.

don't try this at home kids: 

v8-1.jpg.54ab33a51627c056e8bcc71e1073ec75.jpg
old on top, new on bottom

v8-2.jpg.a0a0b934d15d2b909c3be76d2f49aadf.jpg
for a moment I considered modifying my frame to make it fit

v8-3.jpg.82100e678f0268a4d7c1e15ec6f16f23.jpg
then I saw inside my frame - it was touching everywhere
the line of cleanness is from the tire rubbing up against the entire frame
there was no hope for making this tire fit even at 20 psi :(

8 hours ago, Tryptych said:

I tried this today with a "Chao Yang" H-5146 tire which is 16 x 2.125" and marketed for the V8F.

Miserable failure... Two hours wasted... it did not fit....

There is actually one easy way to make it fit after all. The shell is attached to the pedal brackets with four bolts. Drill new holes for these bolts half an inch lower than the current ones, and the tire will only rub from the front and back.

Check my review on a 2.5” V8 for more details:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1