Looking for the lightest/easiest full face helmet

I have a full face Motorcycle helmet that I wear usually, but I am looking for something less bulky and heavy for short trips around the neighborhood. For this reason I've been carefully looking at Motocross-style helmets.

My priorities for this new helmet are (1) lightness and (2) easy to get on and off quickly. Also it would be great if (3) it could fit in a normal backpack.

Does such a thing exist?

Any suggestions?

Edited by Tryptych

36 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

I am looking for something less bulky and heavy....

I doubt if a Motocross helmet will be less bulky.  They may be lighter as they are built to a different standard.

While working my way upto a motorcycle helmet, I acquired a Demon Podium.  It weighs about two lbs.

628067348_DemonHelmet.thumb.jpg.72d1865f54502ceb806ed08bb2b51d50.jpg

Bruce

• Like 1

Any number of the bmx-style full face helmets should fit that list of requirements, although to fit inside a backpack, you're limited to one's with a removable chin bar. I use the Bell Super DH personally and am very satisfied with it.

Find a local stockist, try them all on for size and buy the one that fits your head shape the best.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

......with a removable chin bar.

I had a Scorpion Covert with a removable chin bar.  I needed a full face helmet for wet weather that could fit in the storage area of my Vanderhall Venice.

263050849_Marilyns101718Sml.thumb.jpg.eda4960511d0d80256d6ca78c7475bfe.jpg

It weighed in at 3lbs.  I wouldn't rely on the removable chin bar for protection on a motorcycle.  However at EUC speeds it may be adequate.

Bruce

• Like 1

I just started using a Bell Super 3R. It fits in my adidas sling bag surprisingly. But after that, nothing else really fits. I stick my leatt knee guards into the face opening and gloves. Good enough to carry my gear.

On 6/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, PennBruce said:

I had a Scorpion Covert with a removable chin bar.  I needed a full face helmet for wet weather that could fit in the storage area of my Vanderhall Venice.

Really cool looking vehicle, and helmet!

Here's a link for others:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/09/14/scorpion-covert-3-in-1-helmet-review-half-helmet-versatility/

I bought the Bell Super Air R MIPS and am satisfied with it. Haven't crashed it but it is ridiculously light but seems robust, it has MIPS (vital for safety) and a knob you turn to lighten or loosen it. Chin bar is removable but I kept it on of course. The viewport is so wide that I can barely see the chin guard (and only when looking straight down) and can't see any other part of the helmet.

I crashed hard with a borrowed Super Air R MIPS. Clearly saved my face/head even came out without a scratch. But the thing is expensive

I now have a Kali Kora as per Speedyfeet UK recommendation. It's cheaper, light and comes with a crash warranty which they replace it for free if you crash with it. So 2 helmets for the price of one!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I love this one (Troy Lee Designs), mips and very light   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0845RPGRH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=161nDt1BSjpL._AC_SL1187_.jpg

Edited by Mauricio
text

On 6/19/2020 at 1:38 AM, Dubardo said:

I crashed hard with a borrowed Super Air R MIPS. Clearly saved my face/head even came out without a scratch. But the thing is expensive

Wow you got lucky. A lot of people wouldnt borrow a helmet if they didnt have their own, they would just ride without. Kudos to you for requesting one from a friend, and even more kudos to your friend for lending it to you! I trust you replaced it for them, a small price to pay for saving your head! I really like this story :)

Fast forward one year since i created this thread: I now own three high end MIPS motorcross/bmx style full helmets including a Bell Super Air R which is amaaazing for the summer - it weighs about a quarter of what my other helmets weigh and gives me a much wider field of view and tooons of airflow. It was bloody expensive but as I've upgraded to faster wheels my gear has been upgraded as well. The cheapo motorcycle helmet I started off with from AliExpress has been retired - experience has taught me how important a good helmet is, and how important it is that you like it so you always wear it.

Edited by Tryptych
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Fast forward one year since i created this thread: I now own three high end MIPS motorcross/bmx style helmets including a Bell Super Air R which is amaaazing for the summer - it weighs about a quarter of what my other helmets weigh and gives me a much wider field of view. It was bloody expensive but as I've upgraded to faster wheels my gear has been upgraded as well. The cheapo motorcycle helmet I started off with from AliExpress has been retired - experience has taught me how important a good helmet is.

Its also what I wear on occassion. It does not keep you warm in the winter, but its not bad in summer. I feel its a good compromise of fit, quality, cost and I can still smoke with it on. I havent tried any of the less expensive tho, I got this one and called it a done deal. I do need look into a shielded light one for winter. Maybe I'll just wear some panty hose over my head and use the bell anyhow...:ph34r: