Why so few lighter/mid-range EUC options?

Hi, I want to switch to an EUC from using my bike for everyday commute. Like others, I have spent several weeks researching these things (and prior to that I didn't even know these things existed). What appeals to me over bikes and e-scooters is the compact size and added fun factor. But there are a few things that scare me from buying one right now.

It seems like the current options are either buying an outdated wheel or a 60lbs one. I don't need the 60 mile range, off-roading or being able to climb 40-degree hills, I need something I can carry up 3 flights of stairs. I don't need something that replaces public transit, I need something that enhances it. But that doesn't seem to be where the market is headed. I understand that the companies are currently catering to early adopters willing to pay a premium for high performance, but why are there so few mid-market options (seems like V8F is the only one)?

AFAIK, part of the reason for increased power + battery is to provide enough safety buffer due to the problem of cutouts, which in turn adds more weight, but isn't that a fundamentally flawed approach? What we need is to have enough juice to provide a short (2-3 second) burst of power, not to use the source of continuous power for the same purpose. We have plenty of examples of this both in nature and other tech (twitch muscles used for punching vs slow muscles used for lifting, NO2 in street-racing providing a short burst of speed, a pneumatic break). Why can't similar technology be adopted in EUCs? Why can't we store a higher-voltage charge needed for that burst in a temporary high-power capacitor (charged by the battery while riding) instead of relying on battery's own remaining power for it?

• Like 3

I don't have answers to all of your questions, and I don't know your budget, but I ride an MCM5 and it both enhances public transport and eliminates the need for it in the city. I've been riding it to commute ~15 miles a day for the last year, rain/snow/shine, and it's wonderful. Cost you around ~$1,100. I would love more speed but for how compact and nimble this wheel is I can't complain.

• Like 1

Inmotion V10F is there for you if V8f is not enough. If you want something smaller (and, again, V8 is not the right one) then there are a few small wheels like MCM5 and 16S. But it’s true that most of the mid range wheels are a bit older already. All the companies have been competing on the bigger wheels to satisfy our needs. 
My recommendation is to go for a bit bigger like V10f because you will probably get addicted very soon. Then you’ll understand the need for more. 😁

Take a look at one of the spreadsheets and sort it by weight.  Your not going to like the compromise too much of having to get a small wheel to climb 3 flights of stairs.  Example spreadsheet:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T9GZJGJf9V24WRLqzVIyXuIeax2mu3fG5fXzHchPMwk/edit#gid=0

Created a new column: tire size / weight.  See if any stand out (column F): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E8F93M2-KalHOInlDG6_P2fozy-Tt_1v95FT_Oz4Ajo

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alex Tsepkov said:

Hi, I want to switch to an EUC from using my bike for everyday commute. Like others, I have spent several weeks researching these things (and prior to that I didn't even know these things existed). What appeals to me over bikes and e-scooters is the compact size and added fun factor. But there are a few things that scare me from buying one right now.

It seems like the current options are either buying an outdated wheel or a 60lbs one. I don't need the 60 mile range, off-roading or being able to climb 40-degree hills, I need something I can carry up 3 flights of stairs. I don't need something that replaces public transit, I need something that enhances it. But that doesn't seem to be where the market is headed. I understand that the companies are currently catering to early adopters willing to pay a premium for high performance, but why are there so few mid-market options (seems like V8F is the only one)?

AFAIK, part of the reason for increased power + battery is to provide enough safety buffer due to the problem of cutouts, which in turn adds more weight, but isn't that a fundamentally flawed approach? What we need is to have enough juice to provide a short (2-3 second) burst of power, not to use the source of continuous power for the same purpose. We have plenty of examples of this both in nature and other tech (twitch muscles used for punching vs slow muscles used for lifting, NO2 in street-racing providing a short burst of speed, a pneumatic break). Why can't similar technology be adopted in EUCs? Why can't we store a higher-voltage charge needed for that burst in a temporary high-power capacitor (charged by the battery while riding) instead of relying on battery's own remaining power for it?

Why is weight an issue? They all have trolley handles now a days. If you need to get up a flight of stairs be smart. You don’t have to carry the wheel like a baby up and down stairs, just hold it up enough to slowly lower it down the stairs and up the stairs. Let the wheel bounce up and down the steps. This barely uses any muscles and isn’t strenuous at all. 
The huge form factor of a bicycle makes them HARDER to carry then a wheel double the weight. I’m just not convinced people who shame weight are actually aware of how infinitesimal that concern is with something as compact a footprint as an EUC.

Hell, doesn’t speedyfeet profess that he never uses trolley handles? And look how skinny that guy is.  

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 2

Most people start buy buying something small to "enhance" their commute or to learn on. After a couple months you'll outgrow it and buy another. Then sell your small one or keep it. I still have my KS 14S. It is a fun trick wheel. To answer your question though, the majority of riders here are addicts and want either more speed, more range, more comfortable (bigger wheel).

• Like 1

Some midrange "lighter" options:

Gotway Tesla, KingSong 18L, Kingsong 16XS, Gotway Mten3 (my personal favorite wheel), Gotway MCM5, Inmotion V8F

Take any advertised range and cut it in half.  These mid-range models vary in top speed from 22 to 31 MPH.  

I would vouch for an Mten3.  I use this wheel to cover any and all trips under 5 miles round trip and its an absolute joy because its ultralight (22 lbs, can fit in some larger backpacks), 24 mph "safe" top speed and an absolute blast to ride.  Expect 18-20 miles range @ 15 mph cruising speed, 11-12 miles at 23-24 mph.  You will want to add your own trolley handle (costs $60 on aliexpress) and hopefully you won't have poor road conditions like where I live in NYC.  Fastest "lightweight" EUC you can buy currently. 

While I do own fast top end EUCs, I only take them out when I have a longer distance to travel, because the lighter wheel is so convenient.

Edited by Ben Kim