Why can't I jump?

Nachos

Grab tight, bend down like you think you are going to slam dunk a ball, and JUMP like hell. I can get about 6" on the mten and about 2" on the 18L(no custom pads). Either way, it takes so much effort it pains me guts to bother very often. Lotta grab, lotta jump. I bet some of these pro wheel jumpers have legs like steel poles...

Did ya ever own a 'pogoball' as a kid? You know, right next to the 'sit and spin', with your 'hotwheel' parked nearby?:D

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Bend down very low, then jump up fast.  The momentum is what carries the EUC up into the air.  Tesla V2 is heavy at 42 lbs.  How much do you weigh?  Try jumping without an EUC.  Do you have decent vertical leap?

• Like 2

Pmsl at this because everytime I try jump I just leave the pedals even on my mten3 , I've tried to bounce it then hop,  I always try to get air but I can't grip hard I could if it was between my thighs ,I just can't bloody jump with the wheel I always leave the pedals lol 😁😁

Edited by stephen
  • Like 3

When i jump on my 18L, the wheel gets about 2" and i tend to come off it entirely. Its about 1/3 my body weight. I am not any good at it, but i do think it is possible. The little mten is WAY easier. Hell, I jumped up a curb from sheer dumb luck within my first week. It was definitely desire over skill, but it worked. I can't do it regularly yet, but practice practice practice. I really am hoping i can get to easily jumping up curbs on the 18L. Ive seen small guys do it in videos, so again, practice practice practice. Im sure it also helps if you have a wheel you arent scared of beating. Usually my mten takes a serious bashing when I jump curbs. Key word is I.  Only half the time does the mten follow me. Jumping a curb into grass makes it seem less scary. No curbs in my hood, so practice is rare. Admitting to knowing what a pogo ball is:  you must be old...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

It is all about timing. You have to work with the rebound of the tire. Push down on the tire and wait for the rebound. (slight delay)  Squeezes and pull up with the rebound. I can hop over most speed bumps without touching using little effort on the 18XL . (no Kuji pads)  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Admitting to knowing what a pogo ball is:  you must be old...

Dude, I still remember the stupid commercials!  They looked way more fun than they actually were, lol. 

Edited by Nachos
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, stephen said:

Pmsl at this because everytime I try jump I just leave the pedals even on my mten3 , I've tried to bounce it then hop,  I always try to get air but I can't grip hard I could if it was between my thighs ,I just can't bloody jump with the wheel I always leave the pedals lol 😁😁

So did my friend Mathias. At 05:47 in the clip.
A few minutes before that Petra was going up on the MSX.

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

It is all about timing. You have to work with the rebound of the tire. Push down on the tire and wait for the rebound. (slight delay)  Squeezes and pull up with the rebound. I can hop over most speed bumps without touching using little effort on the 18XL . (no Kuji pads)  

Exactly. :thumbup:

Rebound of the tire is key.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, stephen said:

I always try to get air but I can't grip hard I could if it was between my thighs

I had the same issue. Now I use Suzanne Somers thigh master. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nachos said:

I had a breakthrough with jumping today!  I'm now able to get the tesla about 6" off the ground.  Thanks to everyone for their help, the advice from @ShanesPlanet and  @RockyTop really made it click for me.  

CONGRATS!! 6" is a LOT more than you think. Now that you have the mechanics and confidence, youll be doing it a lot and itll become easier and more height. At a mere 6", you can easily get up some curbs. Go give a try! The trick is timing and just going for it. You'd be surprised at what you can accomplish, when you set a little goal and go. Awesome news man, next I'll see a vid of you jumping moving cars.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The trick is timing and just going for it. 

Yeah, the timing is what is sketchy for getting up curbs.  I've been jumping off them, next step is to go the other way.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nachos said:

Yeah, the timing is what is sketchy for getting up curbs.  I've been jumping off them, next step is to go the other way.  

Dont let the curb psyche you out. Approach it at a comfy and slow speed, get ready to jump and just remember to bend the knees when you land. In all reality, the WHEEL is facing more injury than you, if goes wrong. If you chicken out (like i did at first), youll over work yourself and wind up jumping yourself up the curb and landing on your feet. The poor wheel will hit that thing and not like you for it. THEN youll try again and probably get up just fine, only youll be paranoid and overlean and fall off, but you AND the wheel will be on the curb. 3-4 tries and youll have it. After you KNOW you can do it, it just happens. I went from 50/50 success on the first 5 tries, to almost no problem. You've got the mechanics of it, now you just gotta embrace your talents :thumbup:

• Like 1