Mten3 tire change and lifehack - 90 second install

Declan acoustic-unicyclist

looks about as slick as the other/stock. It seems we have no real choices yet, for wet fields and dirt/muddy conditions? Your wheels look like they don't play in those conditions much? Seems like a motorcycle tire, looks really cool. I do bet youll get a LOT more wear out of it. Thanks for the video!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Oh man I love the mini-MSX look. I would immediately buy one if gotway decided to make a 10" wheel like that, I'm missing my Luffy.

Edit:  The picture made it look like you'd case-modded your mten, which I think would be a cool project. 

Edited by tudordewolf

2 hours ago, tudordewolf said:

Oh man I love the mini-MSX look. I would immediately buy one if gotway decided to make a 10" wheel like that, I'm missing my Luffy.

Edit:  The picture made it look like you'd case-modded your mten, which I think would be a cool project. 

I think I ran into you buying fast food the other day! Small world haha

I wrapped the case in foam, which gives it substantial protection and makes it more comfortable on me legs. I also am using MSX pedals, so it does sorta have that look

I highly recommend the mten3, as it teaches so much about riding. It's great for beginners as well as very experienced riders

On 4/6/2020 at 2:54 PM, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

I think I ran into you buying fast food the other day! Small world haha

I wrapped the case in foam, which gives it substantial protection and makes it more comfortable on me legs. I also am using MSX pedals, so it does sorta have that look

I highly recommend the mten3, as it teaches so much about riding. It's great for beginners as well as very experienced riders

Hey! I think so! I was kinda spaced out so it took me a second to realize you were also a rider...

My favorite tiny wheel is my ips i5 - it's just so different to ride a wheel who's entire body is narrower than the tire on my "daily" ride; the feet-together stance is also very different than straddling a bigger wheel. That said I haven't tried an mten and am curious, the luffy was an interesting wheel for really emphasizing certain riding skills, like you say. 

• 1 month later...

Just finished the tire swap, kudos to @Marty Backe for putting it on my radar and @Declan acoustic-unicyclist for the zip tie trick. Still took me an hour and a half of stupid mistakes and cursing, but the results were totally worth it. I loved the Mten3 with the stock tire but I was shocked at how much more controllable the new tire is--carving is so much fun!

Small list of things I wish future me told me before I started:

1. My Mten3 512wh from eWheels was tubeless to begin with. I don't know if that's standard now, but I purchased mine 11/2019. Now I realized I could've guessed it was tubeless based on the straight tire stem, but it was a surprise when I finally got the stock tire off. I mistakenly had it filled with tube tire slime.
  2. Most of the electronics are bolted to the right side--ergo the left side is easier to remove. I pointlessly removed the right side to begin with. I think I got mixed up because my tire stem was on the right side, and watching Marty's video I kept thinking "remove the side with the tire stem". If I was paying closer attention it would've been obvious he removed the left side.
  3. Guessing it was the fault of being too liberal when spraying my wheel black, but it was initially a pain to remove the outside molding that covers the LED strip. I spent a lot of time gently trying to pry the bottom off (Marty made it look so effortless I thought I was doing something wrong), eventually I just had to work my way around the edge with a screwdriver to unstick it top to bottom.

Really happy with the results! There's no way I'm going back to the stock tire, I'll be picking up a spare.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 11:36 PM, BoseHeadphones said:

Just finished the tire swap, kudos to @Marty Backe for putting it on my radar and @Declan acoustic-unicyclist for the zip tie trick. Still took me an hour and a half of stupid mistakes and cursing, but the results were totally worth it. I loved the Mten3 with the stock tire but I was shocked at how much more controllable the new tire is--carving is so much fun!

Small list of things I wish future me told me before I started:

1. My Mten3 512wh from eWheels was tubeless to begin with. I don't know if that's standard now, but I purchased mine 11/2019. Now I realized I could've guessed it was tubeless based on the straight tire stem, but it was a surprise when I finally got the stock tire off. I mistakenly had it filled with tube tire slime.
  2. Most of the electronics are bolted to the right side--ergo the left side is easier to remove. I pointlessly removed the right side to begin with. I think I got mixed up because my tire stem was on the right side, and watching Marty's video I kept thinking "remove the side with the tire stem". If I was paying closer attention it would've been obvious he removed the left side.
  3. Guessing it was the fault of being too liberal when spraying my wheel black, but it was initially a pain to remove the outside molding that covers the LED strip. I spent a lot of time gently trying to pry the bottom off (Marty made it look so effortless I thought I was doing something wrong), eventually I just had to work my way around the edge with a screwdriver to unstick it top to bottom.

Really happy with the results! There's no way I'm going back to the stock tire, I'll be picking up a spare.

Very nice report. I also really like the ride of the newer tire.

:cheers:

Edited by Marty Backe

On 4/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

looks about as slick as the other/stock. It seems we have no real choices yet, for wet fields and dirt/muddy conditions? Your wheels look like they don't play in those conditions much? Seems like a motorcycle tire, looks really cool. I do bet youll get a LOT more wear out of it. Thanks for the video!

Considering the mten3's crazy low pedal clearance, the tire tread is the least of your worries for those use cases. ;-p

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Considering the mten3's crazy low pedal clearance, the tire tread is the least of your worries for those use cases. ;-p

nope! It's way easier to scrape the pedals on my friends Tesla, than my mten3 with the pedals from an MSX

• 1 year later...