Coming at you in your lane?

Anyone else notice that cars coming at you on rural roads, tend to be in your lane and somehow forget to move back over? This has happened to me twice now. FOlks in my neighborhood always drive down the middle (lazy bastards), even around blind turns. However, usually they get out of your lane when you're coming at them in a car or truck. On the EUC, i keep noticing that they see me for a long way, but somehow forget to get out of my damn lane. Its quite shocking to see them seem surprised at the last second and veer over. Even while passing, they seem to not fully leave my lane and ride my side of the yellow. Ive also noticed they like to pass from the rear MUCH closer than if I were another car, bicycle or even on foot. What the hell is this? Either its just me, or maybe they are so engrossed in seeing something new, they cant think about it while talking on their phones AND driving? I'll tell you this... if safety is a concern of yours, stay off public roads in general, especially those with mountain cliffs for shoulders. What saddens me the most is that after a few cars straight up run over a few euc's, the euc rider will somehow get to take blame and crushing regulations will undoubtedly follow. Amazing how law favors everything but sanity...

Possible, but this is mostly mid afternoon. No street lamps out here, so its pitch black at night but no traffic. You hear an old truck coming out here after 9pm (bedtime for the oldies out here), you hide in the bushes as its bound to be a drunk old man who'd likely aim at the light.

I honestly dont think its a matter of visibility. Just today, I could SEE a driver looking right at me and yet waited until last moment to veer over. I had same thing happen in a parking lot broad daylight. I was traveling the lane and a car pulling from another secondary, stopped. They looked, saw me, then pulled out in front of me as I had to lean back hard. I am wondering if its got something to do with how our brains perceive things we havent encountered before? I do know that as we scan, our brain fills in many of the gaps of the scan, with what we EXPECT to see. You can honestly look both ways twice and pull out in front of a motorcycle in broad daylight and KNOW for a fact that you saw they werent coming. Its matter of fact, that sometimes our brain doesnt see it, and it tells us that it did. My pev headlight may be low, but it is not aimed low. At night i can usually see how its hitting the street signs decently. Its not much beam for sure, but it would be damn hard to miss in a rural (no street lights or signs) neighborhood at night. Dusk and dawn or in a city, I'd bet its unnoticeable. What's ye helmet thingy i keep hearing tale of? Sounds like sorcery...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I ride my EUCs like I'm invisible, I always assume no one will see me and that the person in a car will be running yellow-red lights and rolling through red turn lights and stop signs.

But there are things I do to give them less excuse to proclaim they didn't see me (or that they can get away with breaking laws)

1. I wear a reflective safety vest. This seems to change the mindsets of drivers, and pacifies even the dumbest of drivers. Duf noted that people are much more courteous when he has a reflective vest on, even though people could already see him before (it's a psychological thing I guess)

2. I always carry my GoPro (or similar small camera) to capture anyone shady. There have been a few occasions where someone almost hit me when I had the right of way....then they get angry and start mouthing off angrily until I reveal my GoPro and show and tell them what illegal thing they just did. Usually shuts them up and they putt off like a dog with a tail between their legs. Learn your bike and PEV laws kids.

3. I have a finger whistle, bell, and 1000+ lumen flashlight that can strobe (and be seen in broad daylight) all ready if they need to be deployed.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

1000+ lumen flashlight that can strobe (and be seen in broad daylight) all ready if they need to be deployed

Great points, all of them!
The idea with a very strong strobe flashlight is a good one. Better to try to snap the other driver out of trance than be run over. ;)
An air horn also may be a good idea, but that would require hearing protection...

Edited by atdlzpae

23 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

Great points, all of them!
The idea with a very strong strobe flashlight is a good one. Better to try to snap the other driver out of trance than be run over. ;)
An air horn also may be a good idea, but that would require hearing protection...

9mm auto was my first thought... but windshields are getting expensive and they may not like that! I'm a little leery of drawing more attention to myself on rural roads. If a person cant see me in a riding jacket with reflective tape during broad daylight, I would think a brighter vest would only draw in those that do see me, closer.  Im pretty much against this new trend of everyone filming everything, so that's not an option for me. Its pretty sad that people are investing time and money in a camera, only to prove their innocence now. I'd rather not even think about it. I guess i just have to be prepared for it, just like on a motobike. At a slight disadvantage on the euc tho, as its got a tad less acceleration. Dodging cars... unexpected bonus adventure to the euc game..

18 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im pretty much against this new trend of everyone filming everything, so that's not an option for me. Its pretty sad that people are investing time and money in a camera, only to prove their innocence now.

Before cameras we had no way of protecting ourselves from the police. Cameras give us that possibility. So as an anarchist you should have one. ;)
There is a great channel on YouTube which shows exactly why having a camera can save your ass from false prosecution - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-0YpRpqgA5lPTpSQ5uo-Q/featured
It's called Audit The Audit and it shows it from both sides - it shows shitty cops interacting with good people, and it shows good cops interacting with shitty people.

Police (and overall people) behave differently when there is a camera. A camera really saved many people from police misconduct.
Also, since it's your camera, you control the footage. So what's the problem? Just buy an offline one. For example SJCAM A10 has a nice picture quality even at night and it's waterproof.

Also, like 1/5 accidents don't have an obvious perpetrator. How to prove without a camera who had the red light?

Edited by atdlzpae

I understand your argument and won't dive much further than stating that I am not a fan of it all. We must have different police forces. I honestly think that most officers need protected from us, not vice versa. I also think you overestimate the idea that a camera with footage of a crime, is for YOU to control. I am fairly certain it is common for cameras to be admitted as evidence, regardless of original ownership. We gotta watch the people paid to watch the people as people watch us watch them. Entirely too much watching going on. Plaster an entire nation with cameras, arm the citizens with cameras, arm the skies with cameras... I wont directly take part in condoning such things. Aside from that, i dont think ME having a camera will keep that old lady in her lane. After I'm run over, I guess I can sue for her social security or insurance company, but I'd rather focus on avoiding it. Mayhaps turn flashing lights on and just expect the worst? Me thinks i was just bitchin' as usual and there isnt any agreeable answer for me.  Fwiw, I have never claimed to be an anarchist.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Having not read all of these posts, I think this is the main benefit of carving while riding in the street. Stay safe but, a gentle side to side carve will catch the attention on anyone coming at you from in front or behind. If you carve like crazy they may even slow down which is a good thing. I concur with being as visible as possible: vests, colors, lights, etc. Especially at night. Flashing lights are also better than steady lights. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Having not read all of these posts, I think this is the main benefit of carving while riding in the street. Stay safe but, a gentle side to side carve will catch the attention on anyone coming at you from in front or behind. If you carve like crazy they may even slow down which is a good thing. I concur with being as visible as possible: vests, colors, lights, etc. Especially at night. Flashing lights are also better than steady lights. 

durr... thats a great idea about carving! Maybe headlight flashing on during day (like the bikes i hate) and carving would rid the deer in headlight effect i think im seeing. At night they see me fine, but man does it scare you when the oncoming headlight turns off YOUR headlight during a mountain turn. Hell, these same people almost hit tractors coming at them, so it may just behoove me to bulk up on my own life insurance. Maybe i am entirely mistaken when i think someone sees me as they stare at me. Maybe the confusion of what they are seeing, overrides the fact they are still driving directly at it? Can we work 42 into the answer somehow, as its surely beyond me?!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I can't find a video to illustrate the point but just think about it. If two objects come directly towards each other at 20 mph. It will look like the other thing isn't moving from the perspective of the other. It might be getting bigger, but at a slower rate. You can tell if a car is moving because light and shadows reflect off the paint. This is why some people like matte paint because it reflects less and is harder to see. 

However, if two objects are coming together one traveling in a straight line and the other zigzagging, then the zigzagger will appear to be moving "side to side" from the perspective of the straight rider.

• Like 1

Those knuckle lights are nice because you can swing them around. The equivalent of zigzagging. 

If you've ever seen the guys with those "light cones" at airports, they are always moving their lights, they are never stagnant. At an airport where there are tons of lights, a stagnant light is an invisible one.

It almost seems like theres agreeable solutions to help. Thanks so much guys, I really figured there wasnt much I could do. No matter what, it really is just a big gamble if you ride thru my neighborhood. 99 curves in 6 miles and its a road that hugs mountains and rivers. Gorgeous view, serene even. But... theres still folks out here that either grew up before it was more than a cattle trail, or grew up AFTER the invention of the cell phone. You never see a bicycle or jogger, its is very apparent why...  You do see ONE idiot on a one wheel thingamajiggy like those hippes out west ride. :P

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, General Principle said:

Those look nice! Before I drop $60 damn dollars and MORE led flashlights, can you tell me if they are lasting or begun to flicker? Can you hold them very well with flexmeter wrist guards on? I see they are magnetic, have you managed to lock them together and use in one hand? Most importantly, do they get in the way of smoking a cigarette? I do LOVE riding out here at 3-5am, I can only imagine itll be heaven come summer. That euc light by itself, does make it MUCH more exciting tho.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Those knuckle lights are nice because you can swing them around. The equivalent of zigzagging. 

If you've ever seen the guys with those "light cones" at airports, they are always moving their lights, they are never stagnant. At an airport where there are tons of lights, a stagnant light is an invisible one.

That’s pretty much how I use them.

Street side (left hand ) I keep a straight beam that I move around...almost like I’m showing drivers how much space I want/need. 

Parked cars side I keep the light on flashing...

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Those look nice! Before I drop $60 damn dollars and MORE led flashlights, can you tell me if they are lasting or begun to flicker? Can you hold them very well with flexmeter wrist guards on? I see they are magnetic, have you managed to lock them together and use in one hand? Most importantly, do they get in the way of smoking a cigarette? I do LOVE riding out here at 3-5am, I can only imagine itll be heaven come summer. That euc light by itself, does make it MUCH more exciting tho.

I’ve had them for a few months now and so far so good.

They are a bit overpriced. I’ve  seen people rig contraptions and hand lights for cheaper but I’d trade the extra cost for the time I’d spend trying to get it right.

They are a little awkward w/my Flexmeters (I always wear them) because they can’t go flush over the knuckle. I just adjust the strap and have them over the front/top of my fingers.

Never tried to wear them together but I cannot imagine that working with the Flexmeters on.

Cigarette should fine, if not a little awkward.

I feel like I have lasers on my hands when ridin...and sometimes angrily point at people like Spider-Man when they do something stupid. 

🙃

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I guess I'll snag a set. The real clencher is the 5yr warranty. It seems they are on a second revision, so maybe the company will be around for 5 years too. Overpriced is relative i think. Im sure the mark up is ridiculous, but if the warranty and service is solid, theres $59.50 of it right there. They pay shipping, I'll justify the expense as a LOSS on their part.  My ability to justify spending money, is rivaled only by my ability to forget where it all went.

I’ve purchased this: https://www.guardianangeldevices.com

Pretty steep at $99 but it seemed to tick all the boxes. I’ve purchased some cheap amazon lights but have regretted it. Figured I’d buy once and buy right. 

• Like 1